Mothering Forum banner

Weekly Chat 8/18-8/24

1K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  3jellybabies 
#1 ·
(I'm just going to pick up right where we left off)

Liladancing my goodness I wish I could give you a big hug! I've had scary dreams but nothing like that. Don't let it make you afraid tho. Fear is not something I have any faith in. And I agree with writemama, tell your self positive things out loud. What you say maters, and so does what you hear.

Writermama did you look it up? My midwife put it to me plane because it looks like I mite have the same thing. "Looks like the placenta could be partially covering my cervix". What little I read (and my midwives said pretty much the same thing) it's its rare, and even more rare for it not to move out of the way as your pregnancy progresses. In those very rare cases a CS is the only option because if you go into labor things start to tare and you could pretty much bleed out. (Yikes!) They didn't say anything about bleeding or spotting because of it at this point tho. I'm hopeful it will move, and yours too. My 20 u/s is in 2 weeks, if things don't look right then, we will do another one even later... On a side note my bro in-law swore his daughter would not have a bunch of frilly things, she ended up with a wall of tutus and head bands. Lol. But I agree the color pink is way over done.

I had my first official appointment with my midwives today. Because I agreed to it, I have a student midwife who is very hands on, and I really like her. I feel totally comfortable with her and my actual MW. So far everything is looking really good.
I'm so excited about my 20 u/s and I'm a bit eager to find out this very active baby's gender.

My mom bought us our first new born cloth diaper. So little and cute. Excited to add to it.

See less See more
Reactions: liladancing
#3 ·
Hey ya'll, how is everyone else doing

Oklafarm, Yes I am choosing not to think about PP until my next scan. Then I can either worry or breath easy. Nothing I can do in the mean time, but I am taking it a *little* easier just to be sure I don't aggravate anything or cause a problem. Exciting about your scan in 2 weeks. What gender are you expecting or hoping for?

Today has been a kind of hormonal day, a rough one. I've just felt blue and tired. I think it probably ahs to do with trying to accept my loss of control over my weight gain. I am probably going to gain 40 lbs at least, and since I started 25 lbs heavier than I ever have been, I was really hoping for a 20 lb gain. But I've gained 2-3 lbs per week the past few weeks, for no logical reason as I'm eating the same and taking in fewer calories than I was prepregnancy when I was breastfeeding, so like 1700 on average) which tells me that I am probably going to reach 200 lbs again no matter what. That has struck me as sad and I'm not looking forward to being so huge. It hurts. It's hard. At least it is my last time doing it. But man oh man was I hopeful that I wouldn't have a super gain this time. I mean, looking at the scale, I've only gained 2 lbs over prepreg weight, but still the lbs are packing on.

#4 ·
Thanks everyone for your support. I have been staying positive and not letting dreams like that get to me as best I can. I keep having strange slightly horrifying pregnancy dreams.
I have an appointment tomorrow with my Ob. I am going to ask her about techniques for labor on pitocin. Most likely I will be getting pitocin and I want this to be a non medicated non epidural birth. I tried hypno babies last time unsuccessfully. I think I need a lot more practice with it and my husband does too to be a good couch for it.

#5 ·
Hi Shelley!

Liladancing my mom said her induced labors where no more intense then when she went into labor in her own. Maybe it will be like that for you.

Writermama I was feeling a like down yesterday too. I found out my iron is so low I'm anemic. The first words out of my mothers mouth was "that's why you've been so tired" and when I told her I had not felt that tired, she said "you look it". DH said the same things she did, word for word. Made me feel bad. I'd been feeling really good about this pregnancy because I have been feeling like a normal person, mostly. I'll be adding more red meat and dark greens to my diet...I guess I should check with my MD about adding an iron supp too.

I really don't care if it's a boy or girl. But if it's a girl she needs a name. And if it's a boy, we need clothes. I'd love to have both boys and girls, and we plan on a big family so the chances are good we will end up with both. I'd also love for DD to have a sister as well. I grew up with 4 little brothers, no sister and always wanted one...we didn't have to wait this long the first time, found out at 16 weeks. It's getting harder to wait like a good girl. Lol.
We'll find out on sep 4th.

Reactions: liladancing
#13 ·
blackstrap molasses is great for adding iron, the taste is pretty strong but it's cheap and very high in iron and potassium! I usually just gulp down about 1 T then follow immediately with a drink or add a tablespoon to oatmeal. Floradix is also an easy option, I like the taste too, I buy the floradix iron and herbs at either whole foods (it's pricey) or order online from vitacost.

#6 ·
Oklafarmama, I'm glad you found out about the anemia now and can take care of it. I am not anemic, my iron is always good, so I think this pregnancy is just taking its toll on me as its my fourth and my third relatively soon after the last two (each are two yearsr apart)...But I have been wiped today. I think I'm going to stop weighing myself. I gained 5 lbs overnight a few nights ago which I was sure was water weight but I've held onto it. Ugh. Ugh!! My breasts are much bigger now (in the past week they've grown a size) and my belly looks noticeably bigger too. Really sticking out. I'm going to try to swallow that I'm going to gain a boat load and that is just the way it is. I'll lose it. I won't always be big. I have always lost it all before easily (except for last time because I was drinking beer like 2-3 times a week a couple of months before conceiving and that stalled my weight loss).

Anyway, my teen hates the name Sloane but LOVES Peregrine. That has given me doubts. So figuring out how to manage the name thing.

#7 ·
We had a massive earthquake with tons of damage here in Napa. Did anyone else experience it. It was 6.0. They say it is the worst earth quake since 1989 for around here. My dogs were really scared and shaking. One somehow jumped over a bunch of stuff to hide under our bed. Then we went to my parents house. The damage at our house is pretty bad. Lots of really big structural cracks in the foundation. The house moved off its foundation by a bit. Also there was water pipe broken in the front yard leaking. Someone shut off our water. We were without power for about 12 hours. All our tv's in our house fell down. Lamps broke. And many things from shelves and all over the house fell down. I don't want to go back home and face the mess. School is most likely cancelled tomorrow. So I won't be working. But our house is a huge mess of broken glass and fallen things everywhere. I haven't even seen the whole house yet and the extent of the damage. My mil doesn't think it is safe if we stay here. So I hope I can convince my dh to stay here. The house may not be safe for after-shakes and there are projected a lot of them in the
Coming week. .

#8 ·
hi everyone! I've been off of mothering for quite some time, hope no one was worried about the invisible woman! i have an ultrasound coming up in 2 days, and i'm super exited! how many of you ladies have had your ultrasounds? and how many still to come?

#9 ·
Hi 3Jellybabies, welcome back. I've had my anatomy scan and only have one more scheduled U/s to check on placenta previa. This DDC has become pretty quiet again, so it is good to have some new blood back.

Liladancing, That sounds pretty bad. Bummer you have to clean up such a big mess. I am from Cali originally and don't miss earthquakes AT ALL. Glad you are okay though.

I am working my tail off on editing a journal right now. Trying hard ot meet a deadline but my reviewers and some authors aren't helping out in that dept. Everyone is taking their seweet time or not reading directions carefully and skipping whole steps. Ugh. My life has been kinda stressful the past week. And my DH goes back to work tomorrow so I've got the kids full time from now on. the transition form summer to school is a hard one, but I am looking forward to setting up our new routine and getting going already. The anticipation of more responsibility is worse than it actually happening. Baby girl is kicking a moving a ton every day now.

#10 ·
Oh, Liladancing, that sounds terrible! I don't think I had noticed before that you are in Napa. I'm glad you're OK but sorry you have so much cleanup to do. I hope the structural damage turns out to be less severe than it looks. I'm down in San Jose and although a lot of people I know say they felt the quake, I only woke up because my bird was freaking out and flapping around the cage. We had no idea why until we saw the news in the morning.

I had my anatomy scan ultrasound yesterday and found out I'm a week further along than we thought - so now I'm 20 weeks! Somehow this pregnancy is already halfway over. New due date is 1/11. The baby wanted us to be very certain that he's a boy (as if the XY on the genetic screening left any room for doubt) and made sure to display the evidence first thing. Everything looks good, which is a relief! He's very active. I think I'm feeling movement more regularly too.

#11 ·
It's so exciting to see you all getting your anatomy ultrasounds, finding out gender, etc!
Until this point I had planned on no ultrasounds. Lately though, I've been thinking maybe a 3rd trimester ultrasound to check anatomy/health of baby, and to rule out any possible birth defects, so as not to be surprised at birth. I'm not sure how to go about that though, since my state has it illegal for a midwife to attend your homebirth, therefore I'm going across the state line where it is legal. But, my insurance is the type that I have to see the dr they assign me. So I'm skipping the OB part and just seeing my homebirth mw in the next state. It's a cpm though, so I need to talk to her about how we could get a "real" ultrasound and not a "fun" one.

Anyway, we can't figure out a name, baby has barely any winter clothes (this is our first winter baby, the others have been summer babies), and we don't have any "gear" besides some carriers and a few cloth diapers. Lol good thing we still have half the pregnancy to go!! ;)

#12 ·
I heard about the earthquakes, I have family in north CA round Sacramento. They said they saw things shaking and what not. I hope your house it alright Liladancing.

I think if I had had to pay out of pocket for my ultrasounds they would have been $150-$300 each.

In some ways my mind has gone on hold until the 4th...is this our first son or our second baby girl. I just don't know...I kinda think it's a girl. But I'm not saying that to anyone.
I'm so glad it's a holiday weekend, DH is actually going to get 2 days off! He has been working overtime all year. He works in an iron foundry (they make tractor parts mostly) so it's hard hot work and he could really use some relaxation.
DD who is 10 months old is starting to try to pull her self up on things...I wonder if she will be walking by her birthday.
I'm feeling the baby move off and on all day now. Even feeling movement from the outside just about every day. And I'm really tired today. It could have something to do with my iron levels, I feel better on days I eat iron rich foods...my DH will grill those stakes tonight :)
I hope everyone is enjoying their Wednesday.

#16 ·
OklaFarmMama - Liquid chlorophyll is great for many things, but mostly Vit K. It does help with iron though too. My only complaint about it is that my breath smells like I've been stuffing my mouth with grass. Blech. I highly suggest having something to wash it down with.

liladancing - I hope you have stayed safe!

AFM - I had my big u/s yesterday. We had intended to find out the gender, but it really is inconclusive. Some shots look kinda boyish and some shots you can't see anything between the legs. So I guess we'll be finding out at birth! I'm happy to say though that baby looks completely developmentally healthy with a strong heart and no other signs of congenital defects. :grin: I had a prenatal visit before the u/s visit and I'm also happy with the weight I've put on so far, though I definitely feel like I look like I've put on much more than I actually have. I feel like I look about a month further along than I really am. Anyone else feel that way?

#17 ·
had our ultrasound early wednesday morning.. 8am. we are eagerly awaiting the results.. the midwives think it will take 2-3 days. REALLY hoping to hear back this afternoon.. i don't want to spend the weekend waiting. to my very non-medical eyes, thinks looked pretty baby-like in there, LOL, but we really want to hear that babykins is healthy!!! my cousin doesn't want to know gender, so i didn't find out either... i would probably let it slip by accident.

i hate waiting :frown:

#18 ·
Oklafarmama, I take Chlorophyll in tablet form to help with immune support while I fight Lyme. They are made from algea, which tastes like I'm eating seaweed if I chew them so I swallow and don't taste anything. It is a natural detoxifier and has lots of vitamins/minerals that are beneficial. I didn't know about iron, and I am really glad to hear about the Vit K. I haven't been taking high vitamin butter oil with my fermented cod liver oil, so I figure now that the Chlor tabs take care of that!

Greenmamma, Congrats on a clean scan!! And it is exciting to find out at birth. Were you disappointed or hoping for a certain gender this time?

Shelly, Is your cousin going to attend the birth, or come in right after? Is she going to induce breastmilk? I am curious about how your process is going to work.

#20 ·
Yes thank god everyone stayed safe. Water is still shut off at our house. We have been staying with my parents for the time being till some things at our house get straightened out. A lot more cleaning and reorganizing to do of the stuff that has fallen and broken. Our house was yellow tagged which is good news because we can still live there. Our landlord has still not talked to us about repairs. There is lots of structural damage to the outside of the house. We were worried that the damage would be so bad we would have to move so they could repair it. Most likely not happening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.