anyone use ACV? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By OklaFarmMama
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 10 Old 09-03-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
 
neonalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,402
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
anyone use ACV?

I had a bout of insomnia recently & a coworker suggested 2 T ACV + 1 T honey in warm water. Well, I don't really like ACV much, so I switched the measurements (and I don't really measure it honestly) and tried it. AND IT WORKED!!

AND... I noticed a couple days ago, it might be working for heartburn too!

We have the plain kind, not the Braggs, because that's what we use in some recipes. But it's still working. I didn't find any credible warnings about consuming it during pregnancy. Standard warnings about unpasteurized Braggs of course (I have no opinion about pasteurized vs not).

Anyone else?

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
neonalee is offline  
#2 of 10 Old 09-03-2014, 06:30 PM
 
OklaFarmMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oklahoma USA
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is ACV apple cider vinegar? My midwife said I could take it for heartburn. Never thought about it for insomnia. I'll def keep that in mind.

I have been using it to rinse my hair in place of conditioner, it's awesome for that. And as of recently to wash down there to keep the PH levels good, and the itching away. The things those hormones do.
mkatco likes this.
OklaFarmMama is offline  
#3 of 10 Old 09-04-2014, 05:25 AM
 
JessicaHill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Avon, CT
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I use acv in warm water with lemon and ginger every am ( I do use the braggs unpasteurized raw) Great for heartburn and just clearing out your system in the am at night for sleeping I take natural calm magnesium in either a glass of warm water or put it in my pregnancy tea (with nettle, raspberry leaf...) helps me to get a more restful sleep.
JessicaHill is offline  
#4 of 10 Old 09-04-2014, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
 
neonalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,402
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaFarmMama View Post
Is ACV apple cider vinegar? My midwife said I could take it for heartburn. Never thought about it for insomnia. I'll def keep that in mind.

I have been using it to rinse my hair in place of conditioner, it's awesome for that. And as of recently to wash down there to keep the PH levels good, and the itching away. The things those hormones do.
Yep! I was discussing the heartburn thing last night with DH. He said he'd heard the same & couldn't understand it. I said, ok, but it seems to be working (I also get heartburn most nights).

We used to use it for DS's hair. It's very fine & dreds up really easily. Will probably have to start up again in the winter.

Now that I haven't heard of, but might need to try it! Hormones indeed.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
neonalee is offline  
#5 of 10 Old 09-04-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
 
neonalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,402
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaHill View Post
I use acv in warm water with lemon and ginger every am ( I do use the braggs unpasteurized raw) Great for heartburn and just clearing out your system in the am at night for sleeping I take natural calm magnesium in either a glass of warm water or put it in my pregnancy tea (with nettle, raspberry leaf...) helps me to get a more restful sleep.
How do you make it with lemon & ginger? Squeeze a fresh lemon? Does it taste good? I like to try for at least a glass of water every morning before I leave for work. I frequently forget to drink water until lunchtime.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
neonalee is offline  
#6 of 10 Old 09-08-2014, 07:23 AM
 
redhotmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: No hassel Chassell
Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Off to replenish my Bragg's supply! Itchy, sleepless and heartburn-y over here, sometimes all at the same time!
redhotmama is offline  
#7 of 10 Old 09-08-2014, 10:50 AM
 
LadyJennifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LA
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use it (when I remember to) for indigestion. I've actually startd enjoying the taste this pregnancy, even craving it.

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
LadyJennifer is offline  
#8 of 10 Old 09-09-2014, 06:03 AM
 
JessicaHill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Avon, CT
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonalee View Post
How do you make it with lemon & ginger? Squeeze a fresh lemon? Does it taste good? I like to try for at least a glass of water every morning before I leave for work. I frequently forget to drink water until lunchtime.
I just warm water in my tea pot, squeeze a whole lemon (and if it's organic throw the rind in the jar too), slice a knuckle of ginger and pour in about a table spoon of ACV in a big mason jar then fill it with water- I make myself drink the whole thing before I have a cup of coffee. I really do like the taste of it and wake up craving it! Sometime in the fall/winter I will add some local honey which makes it sweeter
JessicaHill is offline  
#9 of 10 Old 09-09-2014, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
 
neonalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,402
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaHill View Post
I just warm water in my tea pot, squeeze a whole lemon (and if it's organic throw the rind in the jar too), slice a knuckle of ginger and pour in about a table spoon of ACV in a big mason jar then fill it with water- I make myself drink the whole thing before I have a cup of coffee. I really do like the taste of it and wake up craving it! Sometime in the fall/winter I will add some local honey which makes it sweeter
That sounds great! Thank you!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
neonalee is offline  
#10 of 10 Old 09-23-2014, 09:28 AM
 
redhotmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: No hassel Chassell
Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love all these ACV ideas!
12 y/o dd has been asking for a vinegar hair rinse once a week or so, it makes her hair shiny and easy to brush.
redhotmama is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off