Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

#1 of 77 Old 08-11-2014, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
First appointments?

Just curious when folks are getting into their preferred providers

I decided to go with a mainstream midwifery practice in my city because they have everything in-house - ultrasound equipment, etc. However, they won't see me until Aug 22 (7.5 weeks) and I've already had numerous issues come up (progesterone supp, thyroid, etc). They won't even let me talk to a midwife on the phone - just the nurse. I've had to go to my family doc (non-OB) for bloodwork and questions. I'm pretty annoyed...enough so that I now want to go somewhere else. I'm thinking I might use an OB for the first trimester and then move to a different midwifery practice. Hmm. :-/

Anyway, what are you all planning?

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

#2 of 77 Old 08-11-2014, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
In Wales there is much less choice about healthcare/providers , saying that, I contacted EPAU to ask about an early reassurance scan (I had a miscarriage in May) and they have given me an appointment for this Thursday but with no guarantee that I will be scanned because I'm having no pain or bleeding.
#3 of 77 Old 08-12-2014, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I don't think I'd stay with any practice that wasn't available to answer pressing questions or see me if I was concerned. Sorry, I am the customer here, and I pay a lot of money for your services, I do have minimum requirements! I've fired doctors who regularly kept me waiting an hour past my appointment time, I'm mean like that. In fact I came to my current practice because I fired my OB at like... 34 weeks last pregnancy, haha. (My dr was wonderful, but I hated far too many of his associates and the office had a "Whomever is on call will deliver you" policy.)

I will say that transferring midpregnancy cost me more, because of the way the offices bill for prenatal care (USA, circa pre-Affordable Care Act) so you might check on cost differences if that's a concern. Also, beware that if you develop a high risk pregnancy it will be more difficult to transfer the later it gets. I had gestational diabetes and had to plead my case to be accepted!

But to answer your question: I'm scheduled for my first appt at 10wks. I can't wait!!
#4 of 77 Old 08-13-2014, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I see a single provider CNM practice who delivers at a small baby friendly hospital and she never misses an appointment unless another mama is in labor. If I were that mama I'd want the other appointments rescheduled. So it doesn't bother me.

I set my appointment as soon as I got a positive hpt. It's set for 8 weeks.
#5 of 77 Old 08-13-2014, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Where I'm living, it's hard to get a midwife, as they are few and far between, you pretty much have to call the day you find out you are pregnant to reserve one, which I did. They called today, and are sending me the paperwork she said it's pretty hopeful that I will get a midwife, but that I also needed to meet with an OB in the meantime. My first appointment is on the 28th, I will be about 8 weeks then; it is just a bloodwork and all that jazz appointment though. I do live in Canada though, so I'm grateful I do not have to pay big bucks for prenatal care. Though with my first, midwifery was not regulated here, so I did pay some, though I doubt it was anywhere near to what people in other countries had to pay.

#6 of 77 Old 08-13-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I am going Friday for a dating/location scan, as having previous tubal surgery places me at higher risk of ectopic. I've had 3 betas/progesterone drawn in order to watch for e/p.

After that I will likely have a prenatal by 10 weeks or so, and then follow the usual schedule loosely. I have a great OB with a wonderful relationship..I travel to the neighboring state in order to have care with this OB and VBA2C, so he allows me to come in less frequently as long as I am comfortable with it and things are going well and I have no concerns. I opt out of all testing with the exception of a regular blood panel, and he is very supportive.

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8: 17 (our 1st homeschool graduate!), 12, 11, 9, 5, 4, 2 and with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

#7 of 77 Old 08-13-2014, 10:41 PM

So today's the day! Gosh I'm so worried, In just two hours from now my world could be shattered if they give me the news this pregnancy isn't viable. Or I could be over the moon - or they could just not scan me because there are no causes for concerns. Im so anxious I feel sick (or is this a taster of ms to come? Eurgh!) ... I'm off to POAS to calm my nerves!
#8 of 77 Old 08-14-2014, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlemischief View Post
So today's the day! Gosh I'm so worried, In just two hours from now my world could be shattered if they give me the news this pregnancy isn't viable. Or I could be over the moon - or they could just not scan me because there are no causes for concerns. Im so anxious I feel sick (or is this a taster of ms to come? Eurgh!) ... I'm off to POAS to calm my nerves!
Good luck @alittlemischief ! Sending good thoughts your way!

#9 of 77 Old 08-14-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlemischief View Post
Thinking of you today! It's amazing how many emotions these first appointments bring!

Hoping all goes really well!

Blessings!

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8: 17 (our 1st homeschool graduate!), 12, 11, 9, 5, 4, 2 and with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

#10 of 77 Old 08-14-2014, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
@alittlemischief Where is Wales are you? good luck.
I saw my GP last week (five weeks) and I'm seeing midwife and clinic for scan next week (seven weeks).
There are no independent midwives where I live but I'm going to see what the deal is for the NHS midwives and email some across the border to see if they can travel. Trying not to panic about it too much just yet!

Missing my dh everyday candle.gif and hoping there is a brighter future for me out there

#11 of 77 Old 08-14-2014, 10:34 AM

Thank you all it went kinda well. I'm so very happy we got to see little squish, and a fluttery heartbeat, but the sonographer was rather abrupt (I asked for a pic and got a blunt 'no', I asked if I could take a pic with my phone and was told the same, in and out in a few minutes) @Silverbird I'm from the beautiful Pembrokeshire Coast ( most people in the uk don't recognise my town but know about nearby Tenby) are you on the wales-England border?
LorenaAZ and chuord like this.
#12 of 77 Old 08-14-2014, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Yay for you, seeing a heartbeat! :-)

#13 of 77 Old 08-14-2014, 10:39 AM

So glad it went ok littlemischeif I live in one of the city's in South Wales I will pm you
#14 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 08:43 AM

Well that was a scary night! I started bleeding last but got scanned today and heart beat visible bleed is bellow baby so should be ok.

I've heard back from some independent midwives. Any idea what sort of things I should look to ask them.
chuord likes this.
#15 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 09:45 AM

Oh silverbird, I'm so thankful you and baby are doing well! I know how scary that is...I pray it slows and stops for you soon!

There are so many things to ask a midwife, and I'm the worst person to ask, as my homebirth was one of my worst births because of the interventions a midwife did to me after the birth...so I clearly messed up the questioning! Since then I've had natural births with an OB who is more midwife than my midwife ever was!

I think I've found threads here about what to ask when interviewing a midwife. I'll try to search for some.

Blessings!

#16 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 04:34 PM

I had my ultrasound to rule out ectopic...

We found the following:

TWINS!

Dr said the sacs are both the same size, so that is good...only saw a yolk sac and beginning of fetal pole...and not much but "something" inside the other one...I realize this is normal in the 5th week, but vanishing twin happens a lot, as well. So, go in next Friday to hopefully see more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ultrasound.JPG (31.5 KB, 18 views)
chuord, Clem, happy_jan and 1 others like this.

#17 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, twins!! Congrats! :-) Do twins run in your family?

#18 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 06:07 PM

How exciting!!!

I've contacted our midwifery group and they asked when I wanted to see my midwife. I had her for 2 pregnancies but she has never delivered my baby. With one she had a baby around the same time and with the other I had a miscarriage. I really, really, really like her, though!

I told them that around 10 weeks would be fine for me. I did get my GP to send me for bloods today and again on Monday to check my levels just to alleviate some of my fears. If all of that is fine I'll probably opt not to have an ultrasound. We'll see.
#19 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsoul View Post
Wow, twins!! Congrats! :-) Do twins run in your family?
No twins that I'm aware of. My mother has a set of identical twin cousins, but as I understand it, identical twins are not hereditary.

However, I am sure there are "untalked about" miscarriages and things such as these...so who really knows!

#20 of 77 Old 08-15-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMYS View Post
How exciting!!!

I've contacted our midwifery group and they asked when I wanted to see my midwife. I had her for 2 pregnancies but she has never delivered my baby. With one she had a baby around the same time and with the other I had a miscarriage. I really, really, really like her, though!

I told them that around 10 weeks would be fine for me. I did get my GP to send me for bloods today and again on Monday to check my levels just to alleviate some of my fears. If all of that is fine I'll probably opt not to have an ultrasound. We'll see.
Oh how exciting! It's so neat when we get to share a pregnancy with a care provider we can be partners with..makes it so much more wonderful!

Blessings and best wishes on the levels coming back great. I know that helps a lot..I've had 2 losses, as well.

#21 of 77 Old 08-16-2014, 01:57 PM

Thanks Quiver I have stopped bleeding touch wood!

Congratulations on your twins how exciting!

Missing my dh everyday candle.gif and hoping there is a brighter future for me out there

#22 of 77 Old 08-17-2014, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
You ladies are making me paranoid with your twin talk. I had a dream (nightmare? Haha) I was having twins, and my first appt isn't until September so I just have to obsess about it until then, haha!
#23 of 77 Old 08-17-2014, 06:48 AM

@Silverbird I'm so glad the bleeding has stopped and you were able to see your baby safe safe and snug fingers crossed that that is the last of your scares.
@MyFillingQuiver congratulations on your doubly good news! Such a blessing
Hi @aeturna my next appointment is a booking-in session with a midwife in early September,but I don't think il be scanned again until early October, here you generally get a scan at 12 and 20 weeks unless there are concerns. Your DS in the profile pic is a cutie! How old? Mine is 3.5 and I think he will be an awesome brother
Hi @ everyone else, hope everyone is keeping well!
#24 of 77 Old 08-17-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeterna View Post
You ladies are making me paranoid with your twin talk. I had a dream (nightmare? Haha) I was having twins, and my first appt isn't until September so I just have to obsess about it until then, haha!
Well, I will forever go with "gut instinct" being the biggest "symptom" of twins. Though, I know it's always hard for me to decipher what is instinct, and what are my own personal thoughts being put into play!

My last pregnancy I had this "I wonder if it's twins" thought...but I thought, "No, I'm not feeling it..but another time for sure." Then, with this pregnancy, from before I even found out I was pregnant things were physically and emotionally different. Then, I had a dream that indicated two babies, and everything physically was different. I knew from the start..so much so, that when the OB found the 2 sacs, I socked my husband in the upper arm and yelled, "See, I told you there were two!"

I've always read mom's just "had a feeling", and for me, that was 100% true!
chuord and happy_jan like this.

Last edited by MyFillingQuiver; 08-17-2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: grammar nightmare
#25 of 77 Old 08-18-2014, 02:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
OMG, I also have worries about twins! I noticed last month I had a lot more cervical fluid than I normally do, and I was wondering if this can be a sign of releasing two eggs? Then I have had waves of morning sickness since 4 1/2 weeks - with my other 2 pregnancies I don't remember it starting until 6 weeks. I was only planning to have one u/s at 20 weeks but now I am really wanting one earlier to see - with my other two I never even thought about twins. I'm sure I would be excited eventually if it ends up being twins but for now I am praying for just one!!

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#26 of 77 Old 08-18-2014, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just contacted my midwife yesterday to setup my first us at 6.5 weeks. Need to see that heartbeat! that will be 2 Saturday's from now, a little less than 2 weeks. Excited!
#27 of 77 Old 08-18-2014, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@time4latte , are you going with Louise at Tobey or somewhere else? I'm in Plymouth, planning a home birth, but I'm always open to hearing about people's positive experiences with hospital births in the area.

I'm going with the midwives (they work as a team, both trying to be at every birth) I used last time. I got in touch with them and plan to have the first appointment between 10 and 12 weeks.

Mama to thomas, born september 2012, and expecting the next april 2015. Editor and farmer by trade, knitter and reader when I have the time!
#28 of 77 Old 08-18-2014, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teegan db View Post
@time4latte , are you going with Louise at Tobey or somewhere else? I'm in Plymouth, planning a home birth, but I'm always open to hearing about people's positive experiences with hospital births in the area.

I'm going with the midwives (they work as a team, both trying to be at every birth) I used last time. I got in touch with them and plan to have the first appointment between 10 and 12 weeks.
Yes, Louise caught my second who turns 3 next month, and I'll be going back to her. Home birth isn't really an option for us, Louise is the closest thing I can find. Tobey is small, homey and all of the nurses were supportive of my choices. I was asked and re asked if I was sure I didn't want to take my placenta home. I am right around the corner from you in Kingston. We haven't made any announcements yet, but it would be cool to meet up we are so close.
#29 of 77 Old 08-19-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I hired the same midwife that caught my first. We are so fortunate to have found her as she is very experienced AND holistic..... she's also a huge Sci-Fi/Fantasy buff so that just makes us like her more! haha. My husband and I were joking about asking her to arrive in her storm trooper costume when I go into labor! My first appt is Sept 3.
GaleWinds likes this.
#30 of 77 Old 08-19-2014, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Wow it looks like we will all be scanning very close. I'm scheduled for 2/9 appointment, again mainly to check on numbers as I had two 5day blasts transferred...
Myfillingquiver - do they want you to go back for another scan soon? Or do they relax more with twins? Soo cool that you called it!
Alittlemischief - congrats on the good report.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page