Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Springgoddess

#1 of 10 Old 08-26-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Books, websites, toys, that sort of thing

I was just thinking that, "oh my god, it's been 8 years since I've done this baby stuff." Are there any good new books out? I've read the classics, like A Good Birth, A Safe Birth, Ina May's Guide to Childhood (or childbirth, whatever), The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, everything by Dr. Sears. Has anything about pregnancy or childbirth come out since 2007? How about potty training (or EC'ing) or sleeping?

How about websites? I used to know a couple of good toy websites with mostly European made, organic toys, but darned if I can't remember them now.

Tl;dr Spam me with your favorite baby and birth related books and websites. Thanks!

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#2 of 10 Old 08-27-2014, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Gentle Birth Choices is another good book though I'm not sure there would any different info in there than what you've already read. Diaper Free by Ingrid Bauer is a great elimination communication read.

I like to check out etsy for locally made organic toys, clothes, etc... I know of another Canadian site but that probably doesn't interest you since you mentioned UK. Other than that I would be interested in what others had to recommend.
#3 of 10 Old 08-28-2014, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbonjangles View Post
I know of another Canadian site
Stop teasing me! What's the site?

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#4 of 10 Old 08-28-2014, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
As far as info, I remember really liking the "pregtastic" podcasts when I was pregnant last time. I don't think they're still making new ones, but I remember learning a lot. I need to look back to see if they have info for the second time around!

Mama to thomas, born september 2012, and expecting the next april 2015. Editor and farmer by trade, knitter and reader when I have the time!
#5 of 10 Old 08-28-2014, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I liked Birthing From Within last time -- and I think I might take BFW-specific labour classes this time around in hopes of improving the labour process this time.

I also liked and used The Mother of All Baby books and Toddler books (it's a little series), as well as the Montessori infant & toddler site, Aid to Life: http://www.aidtolife.org/

Mama to J, born 9/4/2012. Some of the things we are into: co-sleeping, breastfeeding, & the Montessori method.

Visit my Montessori and natural parenting blog: http://milkweedmontessori.com/

#6 of 10 Old 08-28-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoninBeGonin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbonjangles View Post
I know of another Canadian site
Stop teasing me! > What's the site?
http://www.bynature.ca
#7 of 10 Old 08-28-2014, 08:55 PM

I love the book "The Business of Baby" - I think it came out in the last 2 or 3 years. Talks about how business drives what our culture says is best for mom and baby in areas like prenatal care, birth, breastfeeding, diapering, vaccines etc.

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#8 of 10 Old 09-16-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you like Ina May's books then I'd definitely recommend the documentary "Birth Story" which is about her and includes lots of historic footage from their early days on The Farm. It's the only birth documentary I've seen that shows a vaginal breech delivery...exquisite! Downloading it is only $13 and cheaper if you get a group of friends together to pitch in. Watch.birthstorymovie.com
MommyRuth likes this.

Homeschooled, dance teacher, birth doula mama (25) expecting baby #1 with dance teacher hubby (27) living in an off-grid tiny cabin.
#9 of 10 Old 09-16-2014, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The book Brain Rules for Baby by John Medina came out right after my LO was born. I had already read his original, Brain Rules, and loved it. I'd recommend it because it's an interesting read. I have been reading on/off the Continuum Concept by Jean Leidloff. I love audiobooks and podcasts, so if you're looking for some good info/possible new perspective (it sure was for me, anyway) I'd suggest Stefan Molyneux - he's got a lot on child development (he's a children's advocate) and there's one specifically called the Bomb in the Brain that's worth checking out. I listen to a lot of podcasts while I'm nursing my LO to sleep
#10 of 10 Old 09-17-2014, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I'm staying away from all things pregnancy or baby - besides this website that I'm using for support. As everything pregnancy or baby related is making me anxious and scared ... I'm just mostly focusing on calming myself down, trying to find ways of surviving this pregnancy and helping my baby survive as well ...

Proud mommy to our stellar Stella (3/2011). Cautiously expecting our in April 2015 after loosing a sweet little angel in April 2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page