September chat - Mothering Forums
1 2 
April 2015 Due Date Club > September chat
Springgoddess 07:12 PM 08-31-2014
Happy September! Hope you are all soaking up the last sweet days of summer!

What is everyone up to right now? How's your pregnancy fitting in with all the other aspects of your life? Any celebrations, challenges, worries, or joys?

My husband and I are building a tiny house right now and we just got the roof on which is a big relief! Other than that I'm looking forward to digging up my potato plants this week and starting up teaching dance classes again. Mild nausea started up in the past few days, but it's manageable and a nice reminder that there's a human growing inside me! I'm feeling very lucky that I have a very flexible work schedule and can take plenty of time for naps, walks, and self-care.

aeterna's Avatar aeterna 06:54 AM 09-01-2014
I'm so jealous of your tiny house project! Did you get plans or a kit, or are you winging it? We're currently in the middle of getting our house ready for sale, and then we'll be buying some land! My in-laws plan to build a tiny retirement house somewhere on our (future) property within the next few years, so I'm very interested in this right now. I need a bit more room myself, but am willing to consider any options that allow for future expansion!

It feels lousy to say, but it's hard to be excited about being pregnant right now. We're not telling for a while, so it's not like there are others to share in the excitement, and we have some other things taking priority - like getting the house on the market! I'm exhausted and feeling frequently nauseous, but I don't have time to rest so I just keep plodding along, only now I feel like crap while doing it. :P

This baby was planned, too, so it feels even more lousy that I am not as... I dunno, babymoon-y? as I was with the last!
GaleWinds 02:21 PM 09-01-2014
Just plugging along. I shipped my oldest off to college a week ago, and she's been in touch a lot since then. Staying busy between working, teaching my son, and chauffeuring him to dance at least 5 days a week. Wanted to do something for Labor Day, but I think a picnic and a walk in the park with the dogs will be all I'll be able to manage.
chuord's Avatar chuord 04:18 PM 09-01-2014
Happy September spring goddess!
Equally interested in the tiny house.
Aeterna - feeling you on that, I think it's the nausea and lack if energy zapping the buzz, I'm just tired of trying to work out what food I can fancy!
Galewinds - is it an easy adjustment to have ages so spread out? Not that it's likely to be an issue here, I'm 40 on my first - lol can't see that it in 16 years it'll be an option I love that everyone's family is so unique!
Springgoddess 04:30 PM 09-01-2014
aeterna, we started with a product called starplates that help connect a five sided house and that enabled us to build the basic frame, but from there we've let our imaginations run wild and have ended up with a very unique, funky house. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your house sells quickly and easily (I know what a pain it can be) and that you find time for self-care! How many acres are you looking to buy?

galewinds, congratulations to your daughter starting college! (And to you for homeschooling her all the way there! I was also homeschooled for almost all of my education and went on to receive my BFA in Dance.) Is she fairly close or across the country? Will she be able to visit home often?
Springgoddess 04:39 PM 09-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuord View Post
i love that everyone's family is so unique!
yesss!!
serenitynurse's Avatar serenitynurse 06:43 PM 09-01-2014
Hey everyone!

@Springgoddess A tiny house is so cool. Good luck with that! I am used to living in small spaces - it's all about smart storage, and built-in storage when possible! I too have a flexible work schedule at the moment, and I am so thankful that I didn't take a FT job that was offered to me last month. I knew it was the wrong choice, I knew we wanted to start a family, and I'm so glad that I made that tough decision.

That is great that some of you homeschool or were homeschooled. I am in grad school, and I love what I do, but my husband and I have talked about me maybe choosing another path down the line to homeschool our kids. There is a lot that rubs me the wrong way about traditional school. I was not homeschooled but I was in a Montessori-type alternative schooling environment, and I didn't have a backpack or use a textbook or have any sort of big standardized testing until I was in 6th grade. Montessori is expensive, though, and I don't know if we would be able to afford it even if I worked FT.
teegan db's Avatar teegan db 07:35 PM 09-01-2014
The tiny house thing is very cool!
Hubby and I both very much need our own time/space, so the only way that would work for us would probably be two tiny houses side by side! Connected by a walkway?
@serenitynurse , we don't have much money, but there's a Montessori school 20 minutes from us that has a reputation for being financially helpful to younger families, especially when the parents are educators, so we're hoping next fall we'll be able to cover the bill on that for DS (Though MIL has already promised to chip in a bit, too. All of her kids did Montessori-syle preschool, and she's a big proponent). Maybe you could find a school where you or your husband could work part-time in exchange for tuition or something?

AFM, my belly is already popping(!), so we've just sort of thrown out the announcement to everyone, and I'm already breaking out some of my maternity shirts so as not to stretch out my regular ones. It's feeling more real now that everyone knows and will soon be able to see. My husband teaches, so he goes back to students tomorrow. It's always a rough transition, but this year feels even tougher after he's gotten to be home all summer with our son. Thomas (not quite 2) is at such a fun, engaging place right now. It'll be nice to get back to a routine, but tough not to have the flexibility.
serenitynurse's Avatar serenitynurse 08:54 PM 09-01-2014
@teegan db Those are some good ideas. I'll have to look into more creative options for Montessori schooling. I'm sure we'll be able to work something out. It's a lot to think about, but I'll have to take it one step at a time!
MommyRuth's Avatar MommyRuth 08:22 AM 09-02-2014
Is hard to believe it's September already! I just duped my daughter off at school for her first day of 2nd grade. She goes to a Waldorf school, and we love it! I'm looking forward to having a bit more down time with her in school. It was a busy summer and I'm feeling a little tired these days.

I'm 7w4d and my belt is popping out quite a bit already. Especially after lunch and dinner! I want to not have to tell everybody yet, but I don't know how long I can hide it. We told DDa couple weeks ago and she told my mom, but nobody else knows yet.

First midwife appointment is Sept 25 l can't wait!
GaleWinds 08:40 AM 09-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springgoddess View Post
galewinds, congratulations to your daughter starting college! (And to you for homeschooling her all the way there! I was also homeschooled for almost all of my education and went on to receive my BFA in Dance.) Is she fairly close or across the country? Will she be able to visit home often?
Hi SpringGoddess! She went to K & 1st at a private school, then we repeated 1st when we brought her home. She's 4 1/2 hours away, so not too far. Plus she has 3 aunts who live about an hour away from her, so she's got lots of family close by ;-) Not that I'm worried about her coming home a lot, she's pretty independent. We're planning for her to come home for Thanksgiving weekend but not before then. That's awesome about your history--curious if you plan to homeschool your own? And congrats on your pregnancy!
tm0sweet's Avatar tm0sweet 11:35 AM 09-03-2014
Serenitynurse, we have a public charter Montessori school in our city and I know my cousin has one near her as well. I'm fairly certain the waiting lists are ridiculously long, but is there an option like that around you?

I don't have a FT job (other than keeping 3 kids alive!) but I do a lot of work with a local high school theatre in addition to working with a community theatre. I'm acting in a show that opens next week, starting to fret about my costume fitting by then! And I've got 3 other shows I've signed on to direct before this baby comes. I'm having a hard time planning or anything, I'm just so so tired. DS1 is in school in the afternoons while DS3 naps, so I at least can take some quiet time with DS2 for a couple hours on weekdays before I have to run off to the high school.

ETA: I'm loving how unique everyone's lives and families are here!
Springgoddess 01:34 PM 09-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaleWinds View Post
Hi SpringGoddess! She went to K & 1st at a private school, then we repeated 1st when we brought her home. She's 4 1/2 hours away, so not too far. Plus she has 3 aunts who live about an hour away from her, so she's got lots of family close by ;-) Not that I'm worried about her coming home a lot, she's pretty independent. We're planning for her to come home for Thanksgiving weekend but not before then. That's awesome about your history--curious if you plan to homeschool your own? And congrats on your pregnancy!
I did a similar thing - public school for K & 1st. That location sounds wonderful for your daughter.

Oh yes, we're definitely planning to homeschool! When I lived in the city I thought I might consider a Waldorf or Montessori situation depending on the personality of my kid, but now that I'm in the country there's zero options beside public school. And you just can't beat the freedom, flexibility, and closeness! Thanks and congrats to you too!
aeterna's Avatar aeterna 04:54 PM 09-03-2014
I never thought I'd homeschool; I was aiming for an excellent school district (and it really is excellent, nationally ranked). But the more I work with kids, the less I like about public schools. I don't like the hour-long bus rides, the loooooong days, the busy work, the lack of engagement, the expectation of "sit still and be quiet" even at unreasonably early ages, the testing... I am strongly preferring to homeschool now, but will definitely need to learn a few tricks to make that work out, since both DH and I work.
MOMYS's Avatar MOMYS 06:38 PM 09-03-2014
How great to get to know everyone a little better

We're also homeschoolers. The schools started this week in Ontario, but I think we'll probably take another week (or maybe 2) off before we get started. My eldest (16) is doing some online classes so it will start for him on Friday/Monday. And I've organized a Toastmasters Youth Leadership course on Thursdays for teh teens in our homeschool group, so there is that.

I'm looking forward to finishing up with my business at the end of Sept (I'm a newborn photographer) and closing shop. It has been a great ride. I've loved it and I'll miss the money, but I'm missing out on some great memories with my own kids

I only have mild nausea and it worries me
OneWithTwo's Avatar OneWithTwo 10:50 AM 09-04-2014
All my symptoms have stopped :/
Last Thursday my hCG was 4,423 and yesterday it was 18,778.
The nurse said that was a little low and now I'm worried
MyFillingQuiver's Avatar MyFillingQuiver 11:24 AM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWithTwo View Post
All my symptoms have stopped :/
Last Thursday my hCG was 4,423 and yesterday it was 18,778.
The nurse said that was a little low and now I'm worried
@OneWithTwo

According to Betabase.info, your doubling time is 69.03 (I used same time of day for the dates you gave)...which is ABSOLUTELY normal doubling time with numbers in that range. I don't know how far along you are in order to say if your hcg is in the "normal range", but the doubling time is good for that high.

Are you going to get an ultrasound?

Thinking of you!
chuord's Avatar chuord 04:09 PM 09-04-2014
One with two - I agree with myfillingquiver, you only have to look at beta base to seen how great the variations are! Ultrasound is the best way to check now... I was saying to dh earlier I think technology isn't always a help. Another pg lady was up crying all night when she couldn't get a good heartbeat on a Doppler - knowing too much can give us extra stress! Lol having said that I'd scan weekly if I could
bluedaisy's Avatar bluedaisy 12:26 PM 09-05-2014
One with Two - I hope everything is ok and you get some reassurance soon!

I am a brand new homeschooling mom - my 5 1/2 year old DD was in school for the last year and a half but the schools here in Uganda are SO academic. She was having spelling tests and a spelling bee in preschool, and already spending a lot of time sitting down and writing.

We also travel quite a bit for work so we decided to try out homeschooling from now until Dec. I work part time so we are using a tutor as well, who will start in a week. For now I've been doing it before work and it's hectic, but I am really enjoying it. I also have to say I so much appreciate our more relaxed mornings! DD loves being at home all day and is the kind of kid who can happily entertain herself and come up with all kinds of creative and strange things to do We are blessed to live in a country where the weather is gorgeous year round so the kids are outside just about every day.
GaleWinds 12:41 PM 09-05-2014
AND I just read your signature and realize you and your husband both dance... Obviously (see my sig) we have a dancer in our family, too. SO cool! Congrats on your first. Parenthood is absolutely the most amazing thing in the world ever. You're going to have a blast!
alittlemischief's Avatar alittlemischief 12:51 AM 09-07-2014
Had another little peek into my womb this week (abdominal ultrasound this time, so not as clear). Squish is measuring spot on at 9weeks and was wriggling away on the screen. I think I'm finally beginning to believe I'm having a baby!!! Next peek inside is scheduled for the 29th. Fingers crossed for no more spotting/ worries in the rest of the pregnancy
Attached: image.jpg (131.2 KB) 
aeterna's Avatar aeterna 07:49 AM 09-07-2014
Yay! I bet that's very reassuring.

I'd really like to go in for a dating/affirmation scan but am currently very torn about the practice/facility I want to use. Odds are good I'll be moving a few hours away during this pregnancy, so trying to decide if I should stick with my midwife here and switch when I move, or just suck up the drive to a midwife there knowing that's where I'll end up. Also, waiting a while will save us lots and lots of money, which is currently also a factor. The problem is that I don't know how long "a while" is. It might be 2 months or it might be 8, though I wouldn't wait past 18 weeks to get formal prenatal care (and am taking other precautions and monitoring my own health as they would in the meantime, of course). It's just a lot to juggle in my mind right now during a time that I am juggling a lot else already, so I've kinda stuck it on the back burner for now.

But it would be nice to have someone take a peek and tell me everything's going on normally in there!!
alittlemischief's Avatar alittlemischief 08:57 AM 09-07-2014
@aeterna it certainly has helped me feel more confident, I've shared the news with work now. Thats quite a dilemma you have about your healthcare (and one I'm not equipped to comment on seeing as I have no understanding of healthcare/insurances outside of UK) but I feel that the best would be to set up with a local midwife, then switch when you move, only because if you should have any worries in the near future or find yourself sticking out at home longer than anticipated, you have established a connection with a healthcare provider. Was wondering what precautions/monitoring you are doing, I'm not checking in anything myself and will certainly look into it- I like the idea of being clued-up and responsible for myself in-between antenatal checks.
aeterna's Avatar aeterna 06:23 AM 09-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlemischief View Post
Was wondering what precautions/monitoring you are doing, I'm not checking in anything myself and will certainly look into it- I like the idea of being clued-up and responsible for myself in-between antenatal checks.
I'm tracking my weight, blood pressure, and fasting glucose 1x/weekly for now (...which is pretty much all they do at prenatal visits at this point, y'know?). I am/can check my glucose because I had gestational diabetes with DS and still have my monitor and testing supplies. I will probably pick up some ketone strips as well, but am out of those right now. Just the basics to make sure I'm on track, and have that data to share with my provider, too. (I am also having my TSH routinely monitored by my primary Dr, since I am hypothyroid. But since I get that Rx through my primary Dr, I just keep seeing them for maintenance labs.)

If I derail, notice something wrong/concerning/unusual, fail to keep anything down/gain weight, etc etc - I most certainly will go ASAP, please don't think I'll lack for care! My midwife here is wonderful and might give me a stink eye for waiting, but would understand finances are tight. Without going into a long story, I currently have private insurance with a $3500 deductible I haven't even started towards, so all care will come out of my pocket until I have paid that much, and then my insurance will be useful. But along with selling our house will come a change in jobs/insurance and it will be much more favorable for us financially. So if I can wait until "then," it would be better. And even if "then" never happens, skipping a few of the less-critical prenatal appointments will save me some cash in the long run. I'm balancing on a thin line so I'm being mindful of the cost of those "peace of mind/routine visits" - but if there is a real health concern the cost would not be a considering factor, I promise.

(Note: midwives are not legal in my state in any form. I travel north to another state to see a CNM, currently. After the move I will be traveling south to a different state to do the same thing, LOL. Which is why my midwives cost a small fortune and don't barter - they're full practices overseen by OBs.)
Wilhelmina's Avatar Wilhelmina 07:00 AM 09-09-2014
Hello everyone.

It's september, it's gorgeous outside, yet I can't enjoy it because I've just started an insanely stressful master's degree program and since I haven't been in school (as in university) in five years now, I'm overwhelmed. Which can't be good for the pregnancy. I'm also doubting myself and my abilities when it comes to the course load, course work and even the focus of my master's program ... I seem to be the only one who just kind of walked into it not knowing what to expect - everyone else seems to know exactly what they want from the program and already have a background in some of what's being 'taught' in the courses ...

So, I'm just obsessing about having made a mistake about this ... but the fact is I have nothing else going on in my life except for my family (my husband and my daughter) and I haven't been able to find a decent job ever since I moved to Sweden, so, why not study this ... I just can't imagine writing 12-13 pages of ANYTHING by the end of October, haha.

Besides that, I'm just so tired and run down everyday due to the pregnancy ... I'm just tired most of the time and very very mildly nauseous perhaps about two times per day. I have headaches and intense brain-fogginess, and my breasts are tender, but besides that, I'm quite alright. Except for the stress that I'm feeling now ...

I should really be reading one of the two books I have to finish reading by next monday, but instead I've decided to let off some steam here.

Let me just add that most of the course literature is in Swedish ... yeah, so it's really not easy and skimming/scanning just isn't happening, especially because I still have to look certain words up.

I have turned down the opportunity to see my gynaecologist this morning because I got irrationally scared of finding out there's something 'wrong' with my baby ... so now I feel stupid and I'm already regretting that decision. I'm seeing my midwife for the first time on the 16th and I'm planning to get the nuchal translucency test + blood tests + scan around week 12.

I hope everyone is doing fine.
MyFillingQuiver's Avatar MyFillingQuiver 07:43 AM 09-09-2014
@aeterna

I think your care plan is perfect! Honestly, there is very little a doctor or midwife can do for a pregnant woman in the first trimester..absent of some other condition (that you are closely monitoring yourself) that they can help with, it's just waiting for the baby to go through all the embryonic development and for m/s to even out, etc.

I love your plan..some awesome women do it the whole pregnancy with UP. When you are very connected to what is going on with your baby, you tend to be able to identify issues much more quickly than any provider looking from the outside in.
MyFillingQuiver's Avatar MyFillingQuiver 07:45 AM 09-09-2014
Wilhelmina,

I hope your energy is restored soon (or at least much of it!) and that you feel more secure with the pregnancy...miscarriage sure does leave a lasting effect on us..

About 3 years ago I lost a baby at 13.5 weeks. It was quite a loss and took me by surprise just how much I mourned, and for how long. My next pregnancy was overshadowed by fear for the whole first trimester.

I can relate and I'm sorry. I pray you have many happy blessings of peace and excitement coming soon!
chuord's Avatar chuord 03:31 PM 09-09-2014
Aeterna - I think you are great for being so diligent and self monitoring. We each have our own set of circumstances and reasons for our path, this is a love filled judgement free due date club
Wilhelmina - studying full time and being pg is hard work, throw in the foreign language and gulp! Before it gets too far along, why don't you think about going part time? Better that you pay for less tuition, get more out of it and pass well. Remember to be kind to yourself, the other thing is just focus on one assignment at a time - the whole course will be overwhelming but one at a time isn't so scary. Lol yes I'm speaking from experience... Hugs to you!
aeterna's Avatar aeterna 09:32 PM 09-09-2014
Thanks ladies!

Wilhelmina, you're putting so much pressure on yourself! I finished my grad program during my last pregnancy, so I understand the busy-ness and added stressors of academia (although I didn't have a foreign language to contend with!). But I think you will be surprised how easily those 12-page papers will come after even just a couple months of practice! You are clearly a bright woman, so just breathe and do what you need to do for today. Tomorrow do it again, and it will come together in time, like a patchwork quilt. Don't forget to give yourself grace!
Springgoddess 08:41 AM 09-16-2014
Wilhelmina, how are your courses going?

aeterna, how are the moving plans shaping up?

GaleWinds, how is your daughter doing at college? How are you doing without her?

Anyone else have updates?

AFM, my husband is picking up our siding from our locally milled lumber yard right now so cross your fingers we'll have our walls up by this weekend! Couldn't be better timing...we had our first frost a few days ago (2.5 weeks early!) and nights are staying chilly in the 30s/40s. It's looking like a long snowy winter, but I can't wait to be nestled up to the wood stove knitting baby clothes.
1 2 

Up