Mothering Forum banner

Cravings?

1K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  chuord 
#1 ·
Any cravings yet?

I never drink pop, very rarely when I go out. But I been craving rootbeer lol

Also, I have not smoked in about 2yrs *quit cold turkey every time I was pregnant and BFing* and when I did I rarely did, social smoker really. I have been craving a smoke, and I never got cravings for them!

It is so weird, I am craving things you shouldn't be while pregnant.

Oh, and nachos and chips with salsa from Pepe's! So I eat a lot to cancel the others out :grin:

#2 ·
Yes! Nachos! And I want all that fake cheese mmmmm!
During my first pregnancy I ate a ton of Taco Time (local to the PNW) it's 'fresh mex' but they have mexi fries I devoured almost every day throughout my pregnancy. I haven't had Taco Time in over two years but I can't stop thinking and talking about it!

My husband is getting pretty sick of me talking about food, so just for giggles I started a twitter account - @pregoCravings so I can talk about food without judgment heh heh :smile:

#3 ·
LOL! That is so funny! My DH is so nice, he went out and got me taco bell at 2am the other night. I'm sure I will annoy him If I make it a habit tho! Where are you from? I never heard of those!

Now than I mentioned Pepe's, I REALLY want them. Dangit! it is an hour drive to the closest one. We went there last night. Next time I go I am packing the chips and salsa in a container lol. They make their own chips and salsa there so it is REALLY good. My tummy aches for some! grrrr :crying:

#4 ·
I'm in Bellevue, WA. I've never heard of Pepe's either - where are you from?

We are going to the fair with friends tomorrow so I plan to get some grubbin' nachos w fake cheese there :) I usually bring my own food because I'm too afraid we won't find anything to eat, but not tomorrow. I have it all mapped out.

I think my husband would be much more ok w my craving talk, but I talk about everything I want - but then complain how terrible it would be for me! He would go out and get me something if I asked, I'm sure of it. Tonight he's out and my girl and I ordered pizza :smile:

oops the twitter account is @pregoCravings

I'm having lots of aversions too. Foods I normally like I can't stand to even smell :frown: Before I got pregnant, I fell in love with this Mild Indian Curry Ketchup by Dulcet. I made some frozen tater tots and was so excited to dip them in this sauce. NOPE! I couldn't even stand the smell as soon as I brought the first tot up to my face. :eek:

Reactions: MeganKulage
#5 ·
I am in Michigan City, IN. www.pepes.com it is a Mexican restaurant :)

I was like that with my first. My husband and I were still dating and every time I was over they had little caesars pizza. I used to love this, but when I was about 10wks the smell made me want to puke. So weird how that happens!

Reactions: avocadogreta
#6 ·
Yum! that place looks good - and they have the fakey cheese i'm looking for!
This is what I would get at taco time - http://www.tacotimenw.com/CrispBurrito.aspx they have a ranch (seasoned sour cream) and a hot sauce and I'd dip them back and forth. OMG! I don't do any gluten anymore, so I would be really hurting if I had this. But it still looks SO GOOD! My mouth is watering. Now I'm just looking over all their food. :crying:

#7 ·
I love Burritos too! Mexican food is my favorite nom nom nom:nerd:

I think my eating is my least crunchy factor, lol. You're a stronger person than I. I have tried some gluten free foods at some of my friends homes, but I really did not like it. I'm sure I am just used to the taste of "regular" foods. I try everything I can (even frog legs lol) so if I can I want to try some other foods.

#8 ·
SALT! I am craving anything with salt, that happened with my first two pregnancies too. and butter....I've been sauteing so many veggies in butter, garlic, and salt.

The other night all I wanted was chicken noodle soup and a sandwich with buttered bread and a salted fried egg. It was wonderful!

Indian food tastes really good, and pasta, and green olives.

And chicken skin! Lol, this is something I usually don't eat but I craved this with my son's pregnancy too - if there is a roasted chicken with crispy skin I just want to eat the skin, it tastes so good!

I am completely averse to beans, something we normally eat at least twice a week in our house. That happened with my first two as well. When I first started getting nausea I began drinking boiled fresh ginger with honey, but after about a week the smell of that made me want to vomit. I also usually bring raw "energy bites" to work to eat with morning tea that are made from oats, peanut butter, honey, chocolate, flax seed, etc but those also make me gag now. I usually have a sweet tooth, and I can still eat sweets, but I don't crave them at all. My mom sent me some of my favorite chocolate about a month ago and 3/4 of it is still left - if I wasn't pregnant it would have been gone a long time ago!

Food cravings and aversions are so strange! You would think our bodies would be craving healthy things to help our babies grow well, not strange and unhealthy things

#9 ·
The Mexican food theme cracks me up - I'm still a little queasy all the time, but had home nachos yesterday ;) got more ingredients to make more too!
Avocadogreta - I try to avoid gluten too, I'm not allergic but it does block me up. Anyway get some nice organic / gluten free corn or vege chips, and other ingredients and make your own ;)
I'm just really happy to know the Mexican thing is quite normal. Also salty chips (crisps) sometimes right after brekky... I'm trying to stick to the essential nutritional items but the rest is whatever my mouth needs...

#11 ·
Lol I just started craving tacos over the weekend. I haven't ate any yet. There's a specific restaurant I want to go to that's about 30 minutes from my house. I Guess Mexican food is where it's at!

#12 ·
Fakey Fruity Things! Froot Loops and that nasty fruit punch from the fountain at work. Blecht. I don't think I've ever even bought Froot Loops before. But there it is. But get this... Froot Loops it turns out was my husband's Favorite cereal as a child, and I didn't even know.

Also Mac 'n Cheese. Just the plain, original Kraft Mac 'n Cheese. No idea why. But it's sooooo goooood I can't help myself. My awesome husband went out and bought 4 boxes for me this weekend just because ;-)

Wish I could crave healthy stuff. I eat plenty of fruits and veggies and whole grains and lean meats as it is, but having *cravings* for them sure would be awesome!

#13 ·
BTW MeganK and Avocado you two totally cracked me up!! Wish y'all could come visit down here in SoTex where were have Mexican on every corner. Even the gas station at the end of my street has fabulous (yes, fabulous!!) breakfast tacos with the best barbacoa around, and they have a lady that stands there in the morning making hot, thick, soft, fresh tortillas! Mmmmm... now I know what's for breakfast tomorrow. LOL!

#14 ·
This thread is making me THIRSTY!

Well we went to the state fair today and I finally got my nachos. They were terrible!!! I mean, I still ate the entire plate, but they were no good! So now I have to have MORE nachos to make up for the bad ones from today. I also ate a nutty bar and tonight we all shared a caramel apple we brought home from the fair. SIGH!

I usually love olives, but can't eat them now :(

Bluedaisy - I usually make healthy energy balls similar to what you're describing and I can't eat those anymore either!

I'm still alternating between juicing and making green smoothies, but now the smoothies feel like a chore :/

#15 ·
Here in Massachusetts, we have NO good Mexican places (something with which I was a little more spoiled in NC), but hubby and I have a pretty good repertoire of Mexican dishes we can cook (and Indian, too, since there's no place close by). Jealous of all you southwesterners!

Not craving a whole lot here. Feeling really "blah" when faced with food sometimes, but nothing in particular, except tea? I usually drink a few cups a day, but now I can't get excited about it - black, green, nettle & raspberry leaf, none of it.

I work at a coffee/bagel/sandwich place, and I have been eyeing the chicken and bacon a little more than I like. As an 8 year vegetarian, I'm hoping I just need to eat a few more eggs and more beans to balance out that craving.

#16 ·
I moved to the Midwest from Phoenix and am insanely jealous of everybody with access to good Mexican food!! I have to make it myself or buy a plane ticket to get it. :(

No cravings currently, and no aversions either! Some extra sensitivity to rank smells like the trash can (ugh). I was craving red meat a few weeks ago, but lately it's been a game of "What sounds like it'll stay down?" ROFL

#17 ·
Gale winds - jealous! I had nachos yesterday too, will need more today I'm sure... The fruit loops are a crack up! My friend suddenly became dairy tolerant with her son - weird things right!
Avocadogreta - totally, all those yummy whole foods we've adapted to are hard work! I'm struggling with my vital greens, but I did manage sone fruit and yoghurt yesterday.
Teegandb - I've heard it's not unusual for vegitarians to crave and sometimes eat meat during pg... Hope it works for you!
Aeterna - lol! So can you cook good Mexican? What a pain to have no where close...

#19 ·
I get my Pepe's today! nom nom nom! :grin:

I have been eating/drinking a glass of orange juice (with pulp!) with a cut banana and strawberries in it. It is so good and I want to eat it all the time but I will explode :eek:

#20 ·
After WEEKS of craving nothing but shit food (fast food, processed boxed stuff, ramen, etc.) I'm finally wanting veggies again! Had a salad last night and lunch today after not wanting to even look at anything green for some time. I'm so happy that I'm getting over my fried/salty/processed food kick -- I actually craved and had the energy to make myself vegetarian sushi tonight! I've been feeling guilty about all the crud I've been putting in my body; now its time to make up for all of that. Of course, ice cream isn't going anywhere -- been loving on my Turkey Hill coffee ice cream (its all natural so its okay, right?) :)

#21 ·
Yes! Craving junk here too! I can't get enough Chipoltle in me. I really think I'd eat it everyday if I could.

I'm struggling big time with eating healthy. All I want is SALT and STARCH! I did have a sudden craving for ranch dressing last night, so I threw together a salad. When I tried to munch on some broccoli the smell absolutely turned my stomach! Broccoli is usually a favorite for me :(

Pregnancy does some funny things

#22 · (Edited)
I keep having the feeling that dh's genetics are getting a say in what I want to eat! I've tried to be healthy (before pg) and there are many things I wouldn't touch if they weren't organic or gMO free... I'm still eating nachos lots of times a week, I see an add for a McDonald breakfast burger and I salivate... Lol that's not me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.