Mothering Forum banner

Finding out the gender?

4K views 90 replies 22 participants last post by  MyFillingQuiver 
#1 · (Edited)
Who here is finding out the gender? I am too impatient to not know lol.

What team do you hope to be on? Blue? Pink?

I am hoping for a girl so it will be boy girl boy girl. This is our last and my daughter is going to be heartbroken if it is a boy lol. She keeps referring to the baby as a girl already too. Of course we will love the little one no matter what, but still crossing fingers for a baby girl!

#2 ·
I most definitely am, I maintain there's a difference between a "surprise" (something nice that I'm not expecting) and "information being withheld"! xD I understand some mamas like the surprise but that is always the very first thing I want to know. These first 16 weeks are the worst!!

We have a boy, and I'm hoping for a girl, for no reason besides "fairness," lol... I'm trying really hard not to get too attached to one gender before I know for sure, though. :)

#3 ·
We didn't find out with our first three, but I am so tempted to find out this time around. It would be so nice to be able to prepare. By #3 I was so sick of yellow and green! Plus this is an unexpected blessing, so we have gotten rid of everything and are starting over with buying baby items again. My husband really wants to wait until birth, but that is easy for him to say when he isn't the one that will be gathering all the necessary baby items!

I am hoping for a girl for the same reasons as you! My 8yo dd will be very sad if we get another boy. She has been begging for a baby sister for at least three years. My 11 1/2yo ds won't be happy about the baby no matter what the sex and my 4 1/2yo ds will just be happy to have any baby. He loves babies!
And it would be fun to have boy, girl, boy, girl.

#4 ·
We will be finding out..I have an overwhelmingly huge desire to know with these twins! It doesn't even matter, but just to know and prepare.

We had 2 boys, 2 girls and then the last 4 have been boys! I haven't had a girl in over 9 years, and it would sure be cool to get to do that again, but if these are boys again, at least I know my way around little boys by now! :)

We were surprised with #6 ..the first one where we waited..but I knew he was a boy all along..

I have felt like the baby on my right is for sure a girl, and the left I really don't know..but that could be completely idiotic and wishful, LOL!

#5 ·
I also am the middle child with two brothers. I always wanted a sister sooooo badly! So, I would like each of my kids to have a brother and sister.

#6 ·
I have always had a gender dream by now (always been right) but nothing this time. Though, I did have a dream I had triplets lol

#7 ·
I'm in the can't wait to know camp, I'm hoping we'll find out from the harmoni DNA blood test, or the nuchal scan at 13 weeks lol (I'm sure we won't!) I'm hoping for one of each, that's my gut instinct, although I feel more sure that one is a boy and less sure of the other... Soo exciting - will anyone find out soon?

#8 ·
We're waiting until birth to find out -- since its our first I don't feel super attached to either sex. I also like not knowing because then other people can't buy us the stereotypical blue/pink baby stuff. I honestly can't stand all of that -- this way they'll be forced to buy gender neutral!

#9 ·
I have both girl and boy clothes, so that is no issue here lol! I am the opposite, I dislike neutral colors unless it is light blue. Girl clothes are too cute to not splurge IMO! When my daughter was younger she basically had nothing but dresses. I saved all of them in hopes I have another little girl. My son is only 14mo so I still have everything of his. I planned on having a garage sale then got the positive :grin:

#10 ·
We are planning to find out and we are "hoping" for a boy although for me it's mainly just what my gut is telling me the little nugget is.
I have a daughter and a son from a previous marriage and he has a daughter so a boy would even things out too ;)

#11 ·
We didn't find out with DS and don't plan on finding out this time, either. I don't know that I have a wish either way. My friend with a girl and slew of nieces tells me I should have another boy! And I think a boy might be easier? But I also of course love the idea of one of each, of getting the chance to raise a strong woman, you know?

Most of our clothes from the first time around are neutral, and I don't think there's anything DS has worn I wouldn't put on a girl, though there are some stinking cute knitting patterns out there for girls...

#12 · (Edited)
Each time I've gotten pregnant I initially think it will be fun to wait until birth, and then I quickly change my mind :) We'll be finding out with this one too.

I have one girl and one boy, and from my perspective I will be really happy with either. My DD, however, is set on a girl. She has been asking for a sister for a really long time and was devastated when we found out DS was a boy. But of course my son wants a brother. So we'll see. I have a slight feeling it's a boy, but I've felt that way with all my pregnancies so I don't put much stake in that.

It ALMOST makes me want to try for a fourth so we might end up with 2 girls and 2 boys, but I think this will be the last one for us!

#13 ·
I think I'm first in the April DDC to find out (but hey I think we're farthest along with DD of 4/1)--we are having a GIRL which is what we were hoping!! (Girl clothes, only had girl name picked, all that).

Because of my *ahem* advanced age, doc offered insurance-covered blood-test-only screen for trisomies because it gives 99.9% accurate sex and she knew we wanted to know. Yay!!

Reactions: Wilhelmina
#14 ·
I think I'm first in the April DDC to find out (but hey I think we're farthest along with DD of 4/1)--we are having a GIRL which is what we were hoping!! (Girl clothes, only had girl name picked, all that).

Because of my *ahem* advanced age, doc offered insurance-covered blood-test-only screen for trisomies because it gives 99.9% accurate sex and she knew we wanted to know. Yay!!
So lucky! My husbands Aunt is due April 1st as well and just had that done. I am so jealous! I'm so anxious to find out lol

#15 ·
I don't think I can stand waiting until the baby is born to find out :) We're having the anatomic scan done anyway, so unless the baby is 'hiding' those parts, we will definitely find out. But I'm not gonna push for it or do an extra one just to find out.

#17 ·
Woo hoo! One for the girl team! How exciting, @GaleWinds!

I am just about 13 weeks, and with twins my OB likes to have them done about 17-18 weeks..so as SOON as he give me that slip, I'm scheduling, LOL!

I coulda' known if I had the Harmoni test done, but we just don't do that, so now I wait...sigh...I don't know why it's so hard this time!

#18 ·
Fake winds - congrats!!! I'm so happy for you! Lol and now I'm excited... I had my harmoni test done on Monday ;) not sure if the sex results will be as accurate with twins though - it'll indicate if there's 'y' present but how will I know if it's one or two lol.
Also since the test flew to the usa I'll be waiting a little longer...
Anyone else testing?

#25 ·
I had my harmoni test done on Monday ;) not sure if the sex results will be as accurate with twins though - it'll indicate if there's 'y' present but how will I know if it's one or two lol.
Ooh I hadn't thought of that. I'll remind my poor husband who desperately wanted twins that it could have another unexpected down side ;-)

#19 ·
Il be hopefully finding out at the 20wk anomaly scan. I'm pretty sure I'm carrying a boy so il need time to re-adjust if it happens that there's a girl in there :) we found out with DS and it meant we could use his name and I felt a lot more connected to the pregnancy.

#21 ·
I'm going to try and not find out this time (and my kiddo wants it to be a surprise), but I don't know if I'll be strong enough, lol. Plus it's so hard to shop for even minimal baby stuff without knowing. I thought gender-neutral was hard to find in 2010, that's nothing compared to now!

#23 ·
Just a thought, has anyone actually found out gender yet? Must be getting close for some :)

#24 · (Edited)
One of the gals here, and I am SO sorry I forgot the name...has found out girl!

Was it Gale Winds??? Sheesh, I'm gonna look and find out...

ETA: Yes, Gale Winds! So glad my mind isn't shot. Well, all the way.

#26 ·
I'm in a pickle. My husband is dying to know, but I don't! I want to think of my growing baby as a person, not a gender, and I know that if "girl" or "boy" is the only thing I know, I may cling to it and that becomes its only quality until it is born and I learn more about it.

#27 ·
serenity nurse - my friend was in the same situation so she let her husband find out and asked him to keep it a secret from her. But it didn't work! She hated that he knew and she didn't, and he was terrible at lying and let it slip after less than a week!

I hope you and your DH are able to come to an agreement

#28 ·
@serenitynurse - I don't understand this thought process, can you explain? Do you think of your mother as "girl" instead of "person"? Or your husband as "boy" instead of person? Obviously finding out gender is entirely personal preference, but I just don't understand why the gender would override their humanity. They do still very much display a unique spirit - my son loved to streeeeeeeeeeetch out side to side every evening, making it very uncomfortable when it was time to curl up with DH and watch TV. At not-quite-3, he has spent his entire life sleeping like a starfish. Swaddling only ever pissed him off! ;)

It's just curious to me because I have the opposite problem - I'm uncomfortable with the "it" pronoun in reference to a person, so I wanted the real one as soon as possible! It felt more bonding to me to be able to speak naturally about him, and not have to dance around the IT word.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.