Mothering Forum banner

October chat

1K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  chuord 
#1 ·
Hope it's ok I start this one, not sure if we have set group moderators? I didn't see one started yet so thought I would give it a whirl.

How's everyone doing? Many of you must have started your 2nd trimester too I'm thinking, how's it going so far? Any fun Halloween plans, costumes, etc?

For me I'm 11 weeks +1 today. Was at the ER yet again last night for vomitting, I am up to roughly a dozen times a day now. Despite zofran and every common & uncommon thing you could think of trying. I've learned that movement makes it far worse so I'm spending quite a but of time in bed *sigh*

Well Happy October mamas! :)

#2 ·
Christineanne - thanks for starting the thread! Huge hugs on the ongoing nausea! I'm only 1 day behind you, but my queasiness has been gradually getting less iver the last two weeks. Are you taking 'metoclopramide' as well? My Ob suggested I take that 3x day as standard and add zofran as required... Maybe the two together will help you?
My energy has increased a bit, to the point I feel I can go to the shop or do something (as in one activity) during the day.
Yesterday I had an 11wk scan, necessary for my Ob to sign me off on weaning from meds - all clear yay! So in 4 days time no more daily injections!!!
Babies are both doing really well, they look great and are moving around lots! Measuring right on schedule - they've grown so much in 3 weeks I can wait to see them on the nuchal scan :)

#3 ·
Hi Ladies!

ChristineAnn, I am SO sorry you are dealing with such nausea and vomiting. I really hope it fades for you soon. I know how life altering just having extreme nausea/brain fog was for me. It changed so much of everything, that i know you must really be getting tired of it.

I'll be thinking of you..no more sickness and a ravenous appetite for healthy foods!

Chuord, So excited you got to see the babies again! Did you get any "nub" shots? Have you heard about that theory? It sounds crude, but many ultrasound techs swear by "the angle of the dangle", showing the gender of the baby before the actual organs can be well differentiated. Anyway, all this to say, I got squat for nub shots, as my friskier baby was on his/her head, and the other one was all spine..thanks, kids! I got nothing! :grin:

I'm so glad you get to stop your meds. That must be a huge relief for you! I know when I was on oral progesterone only, stopping that was a huge milestone..and you've been doing so much more. Gosh, I'm so darned excited for you!

Hope you ladies are all doing well in October thus far.

Our school year is going well thus far, and my next OB appt will be the one where he gives me the slip to radiology for the anatomy scan..if I can get it done at 16 weeks, I'm ON it..I can't wait another second to find out gender!

The weather is turning autumn like late for us this year, but finally getting there, so the homemade comfort foods are in the works.

Blessings to you all!

#4 ·
@chuord thank you for the hugs. They are much needed & appreciated. :)
How exciting you will be getting off the meds and big yay for a good u/s! I look forward to our next which won't be until I'm guessing mid-November, hopefully we will find out the gender in time for my birthday!
@MyFillingQuiver thank you for the kind words, it really is life altering. I cab barely function at this point and am in such a haze when I can actually break away from the bathroom. *fingers crossed* you can get in for 16 wks & find out!!

#5 ·
Quiver - thanks! ;) no I hadn't heard the nub theory - interesting! The Ob knows we're keen to find out and as soon as she can tell she'll let us know... Hers is a standard ultrasound so quite grainy... The nuchal is high res :) so you never know! Lol that yours are keeping it secret! Fx for 16 weeks anatomy for you!
Christineanne - seriously heaps of sympathy, hoping it settles soon! Oh also you can take up to 24mg zofran in 24hrs, or doses of 8mg - maybe chat to your carer about a larger dose? I'm not patient enough to wait till mid November, so many of you ladies are so calm I'm impressed! During ivf you get wanded (u/s) and bloods every 2-3 days to check on egg growth, hence why I'm totally immune to anything invasive now :)
Aeterna - how are you going?

#6 ·
Hahaha, the NUB THEORY! I love that :grin: I have heard of that before, in fact geeked out a little bit about how stinkin' cool it is to DH a few weeks back. If I was getting a u/s at 'nub time' I would definitely have tried for a 'nub shot' (freakin' dying here, for some reason the word 'nub' just kills me!! :lol )

We're not doing any costumes because I'm a lazy slug about holidays. I mean, I always mean to decorate, do something seasonal or generally participate in culturally normative festivities, but I just kinda... never get around to it, haha! I expect we'll start doing costumes when Eli is old enough to ask why he didn't get a costume! :rotflmao
@ChristineAnn, I'm crossing my fingers the MS train pulls out of your station soon. Like chuord, mine has been subsiding (in a two-steps-forward, one-step-back kind of way) but I'm definitely feeling "better" these days. Of course, "better" means I can actually eat and I'm not nauseous all day, but I'm yawning through the day and crashing early every night. This pregnancy is so different for me - I really cannot express what a big whiny baby I am being because I expected to sail through it like the last one, LOL! :lol
@chuord - YAY FOR GETTING OFF INJECTIONS! :joy I imagine after IVF you do get pretty desensitized to "less obnoxious" interventions like u/s. :)

As for me: Elective u/s scheduled in 3 weeks to (assuming baby cooperates) determine gender. We will reveal the pg to our families then, so I'm excited! Other than that, I'm... stressed. I don't know 1) where I'll be living 2) who will be my care provider or 3) where I'll be able to deliver, and "getting the house on the market" has been - at this point - a 2 year project, with it taking over 75% of our free time for the last 6 months. I am tired, and tired of it, but I can't just say "screw it" and throw it on the market, we would lose a ridiculous amount of money. Most of the things left to do are low-cost-high-impact - but labor intensive, like "paint the exterior of the house"! - or else about a trillion little detail things. DH has a side business that has started generating some nice referrals so he's taking advantage of the extra income while it's being offered, but that means he doesn't have any time to work on the house and I've spent the last 8 weeks feeling like absolute garbage and generally just "surviving." It feels like we've made NO PROGRESS AT ALL and we're NEVER EVER EVER GOING TO FINISH THIS AWFUL JOB.

I'm never selling another house again. This process has been an absolute nightmare and I fully believe has been the root cause of my anxiety over the last year. I already told DH, prepare to wait a while to buy the "perfect" next house, because we'll be living there until we die. :shake

Yeah, I'm going a little crazy! :nut

Also, apologies for being so hit or miss! I find it really difficult to respond to lengthy/deep threads via mobile since I can't tab back to remember who and what I wanted to respond to... and mobile is 95% of my access, these days! :(

#7 ·
Hello ladies! Just checking back in super quick (should be cooking) glad to see some of you are feeling slightly better- I'm welcoming myself to the 2nd trimester. @ChristineAnn I hope your sickness passes soon, I can now appreciate how yucky that phase is- morning sickness isn't a name that does it any justice. @aeturna I feel similarly when it comes to the holidays (big plans to decorate/make costumes etc but end up not doing a great deal). DS wants to be a dragon this year so I don't think shop bought is an option- best get the sewing machine out! In other news I've had my Nuchal scan (at 12w4d) and all is well :) I didn't ask for a nub-shot (and probably wouldn't have been entertained with one) but I've got a pic if anyone wants to make a guess just for fun? @chourd and @myfillingquiver have you both also heard of the skull theory? I read about it recently but looking at Ds's US all the signs point to him being a girl and he's all boy so I don't hold much faith in it. Anyway here's my recent pic- guesses welcome!

#9 ·
For the nub..they are supposed to be completely flat, (supine position) and if the "angle of the dangle" (seriously, how crude is that?) is less than 30 degrees it's a girl..more than..boy...Since I don't see any major skyward projections, I'll guess girl!

Oh my, how could I have missed the skull theory??? Tell me about it..I have to have something else to obsess about over my couple of u/s pics that show nothing much as they are just low resolution office scans...please..help me, I can't stop :)

#10 ·
Aeterna - I hear you! My mum reckons I'd be crazy but I want my house ready for market, and if I'm lucky I'd love to move before the babies arrive... I'm resigned to getting a handyman for the small things (including cleaning and painting a balcony) just can't seem to find energy for anything apart from eating, resting and the occaisional load of washing... If I start slowly introducing exercise that should help right? I'm bored out of my brain with the inactivity!
Re nubs a skull stuff - I'm going to have to research aren't i lol too funny...
Alittlemischief - congrats on second trimester :) and on a clear nuchal scan! They won't do mine before 13 weeks and it'll be 1.5 hrs of scanning!
Any more info on the skull thing?
Quiver - you crack me up :) I have images of you getting the ultrasound out every time you sit down! I really can't tell that much from mine...

#11 ·
@aeterna, that whole situation sounds like a nightmare! We bought our home three years ago, and it was terrible enough just going through the buying side of things (we'd been renting; our mortgage officer was terrible at his job and the sale took twice as long as it ought to have). I hope you guys get a chance to get some things done!

Feeling very transitional here. first to second trimester, summer to fall, my son turning two. I cut waaaaay back on internet time this week (no more browsing on the phone, etc), and a lot of emotional stuff has come out in the resulting quiet. No big revelations; I think it's just the accumulation of feelings after distracting myself with random browsing whenever I had down time. But I'm back to running a bit more and finally got my pregnancy yoga DVD back from my SIL and feeling really good now. I have a new writing project I'm excited about, and I love autumn, so things are pretty good. Second midwife appointment (15 weeks) is Thursday!!

Reactions: chuord
#12 ·
Although I don't want to jinx it, I am feeling SO much better with the second trimester. I still don't feel completely perfect, but at least I'm able to eat normal foods; that is, I'm actually craving vegetables instead of processed crap. In fact, the thought of boxed food makes me a little queasy now. Tonight all I wanted was a fresh made lentil soup, made simple with carrots and leeks, butter and curry. It was so good!! I think thats a good sign, because I have a lot of making up to do for the junk I ate over the past month or so!

Energy levels are better, too, and I'm not getting those wierd stomach pains when exercising like I was at first. Its so nice, sometimes I even forget that I'm pregnant! But then, the gag reflex rears its head and I'm ready for bed at 9pm, so those are good reminders... :)
@Teegandb, I second the feeling of transition. We're just past peak foliage here in central VT, and it peaked right around my 2nd trimester start, so it feels like everything is in alignment! I also love the idea of cutting back on the interweb to get more in touch with whats happening internally. I waste so much time on the computer, I think I'll follow your example and take this time of transition to really check in with myself and the critter within. :)

#14 ·
@aeterna Not much of a recipe really! I just cooked 1 cup of lentils with half a chopped leek,and one whole carrot in 4 cups water. Then I boiled it until lentils were tender, adding water a few times to keep it the right "soupiness." I added salt and pepper, curry powder to taste, and put in about 2 pats of butter as it was cooking. Simple, nothing fancy, but nourishing! Next time I think I'll add more veggies as it was pretty heavy on the lentils. It could stand to have more butter, too. :)

#15 ·
@myfillingquiver and @chuord I'm no expert on skull theory- I've just heard of it this pregnancy. To be honest I find ultrasounds really tricky to 'read'. But apparently boy babies and girl babies have slightly different head shapes (though I can never tell in real-life situations when a baby isn't dressed in gender specific clothes) here's a pic I've nabbed from a site giving info on skull theory ...

Attachments

#16 ·
@chickweed - I love lentils and am always looking for new ways to include them! And I love "simple recipe" foods - so easy it doesn't need a recipe, just throw in what ya got on hand. I will be doing this for sure, thanks for the inspiration! :D

Today's taste bliss for me: chili lime pistachios. O, mg, so good.

@ALM - can't they interpret (albeit not with perfect accuracy) the gender of human remains based in part on the shape of the skull? I'm sure the differences are more pronounced after puberty (just a guess) but maybe there's a difference even from embryonic stage? :eek:

#17 ·
Alittlemischief / aeterna - I did try reading about it, but I'm with you mischief - I can't tell what sex babies are by looking lol... I might ask dh, since skulls are what he puts back together as a surgeon, but I have a feeling the differences would develop with puberty... Also all the websites said it was fairly inaccurate at that stage - lol he reads u/a quite well, so I've made him read the nub bit so we can check - he humoured me (I was hormonally angry yesterday - am weaning off meds so changing levels) but he thinks it's silly... I'm soo wanting to know right now and I know my DNA test will be inconclusive...
Chickweed - I've also been back into Salad, even in smaller doses than normal it's great to put something healthy in! Totally get it... We're already getting warm summer temps, it's going to be a long hot pg summer...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.