Mothering Forum banner

I love my belly in the evenings...

953 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  chuord 
#1 ·
... but not so much in the mornings...

It's as though bloating makes me feel more happily 'pregnant'! Then the belly goes down and I wonder if everything 'is ok'...

I googled it and see many women saying the same thing.

After all, baby's not going anywhere.. 12 week scan was healthy and no untoward symptoms so it's just one of those normal paranoid tendencies.

Just hard to keep imagining the baby in there, at this early stage before the belly grows and kicks are felt.

(One of the reasons I like scans!... despite the question mark over their 100% safety... just that they physically show the little person in there, can make it feel real and for me it motivates/reminds me to eat well... my 12 week scan instantly augmented my appetite in one afternoon!)

Anyone else niggled by ever-ballooning/shrinking tum?

#2 ·
Haha, opposite here. I love my cute, obviously baby belly in the a.m., but I think the bloated I've-been-eating-all-day evening belly is sort of annoying. That's why I take my progress pics before breakfast :)

#3 ·
Haha! I need to take progress pics... I would also take them in the morning as they feel more 'honest'!

Well the bloating can be annoying yes, when it's nonstop gas from both ends... :wink:

#4 ·
Clovebucket - yep taking pics in the morning here too - just starting to show, which has been freaking me out too all the same reasons as you. I'm 5'3" pg with twins at 13 weeks lol I'm like 'where are you?' Then at night I look huge - which is partially relieving although I ate something wrong (or several) yesterday and the bloat was painful! We are so funny, in a few months we'll be wishing we had less belly!
Teegandb - your morning belly is a lovely cute size already! No wonder you're content :)

#5 ·
That's also happening to me! I am huge in the evening - I look at least 5 months pregnant before I go to bed, and have to unbutton my pants or change into soft waistbands in the late afternoon. In the morning, I can easily hide the fact that I'm pregnant. It's crazy how much of a difference there is!

Reactions: clovebucket
#9 ·
My fillingquiver - that is really interesting!

My belly is still bigger in the evening but it's also now big in the morning, and there is no hiding this baby anymore! I'm almost 19 weeks with my 3rd.

#10 ·
Filling quiver - totally makes sense, I go from barely showing in the morning to 6 months at night lol! Sometimes in the morning I have to focus on relaxing the muscles so there's space to breath, eat etc. I guess being my first pg and twins the difference will be more dramatic... I'll get around to taking two pics on the same day to show you all ;)

It's getting to the stage where it's all so real and the end is coming quite quickly - anyone still feeling tired (me!) or are you all in a burst of nesting?

#11 ·
chuord, I'm still pretty tired, though I do seem to have slightly more energy than during the first trimester. We had work meetings in Rwanda for 10 days and by the end of the days I was completely wiped out. I think there were only 2 nights out of 9 where i did not fall asleep when I was putting my daughter to bed at 830 or 9 (my DH and I work together and we travel with the kids). I can usually make it through most days now without feeling like I need a nap, and I am getting more sleep at night. A few weeks ago my DS went through a weird sleep phase where he was waking up all the time. Thankfully, he has now returned to his regular sleep routine so that really helps.

Of course I'm sure with twins the fatigue is even more - growing a little person is hard work, and growing two little people is even harder!

#12 ·
I don't have that issue, ladies, LOL! At my 19 week appt I measured 30 weeks! :eek: I always measure bigger, and this is WAY bigger...It's how my pelvis works. I am thinking my babies will be 7 lbs each, at least. I'm not gaining much weight anymore, and meals have to be small..I'm thankful for the weight I've already gained. I am sure the twins will be now using those reserves.

Chuord,

Makes sense to me..those tummy muscles are trying to hold everything in and the twins are saying, "Lemme loose!".

I have to admit, I do blush a bit when I write "the twins", as my husband has been joking since I've been pregnant about my boobs in ways such as, "Let me see the twins..and then I want to see your belly, too". LOL! We like our juvenile humor. :grin:
@bluedaisy, I am glad you are getting a better night's sleep and having a bit more energy. Sleeping well at night sure does help, right? My little guy was teething 4 molars AND upper canines at the same time..causing waking up multiple times per night for a week..then I'd lay there unable to go back to sleep..ugly. Things are back to normal with him now. I am sure the travel was exhausting, as well! We were gone exactly 1 week, and I promised my younger daughter I'd lay in bed with her at the vacation rental house and watch a Barbie movie on Netflix with her. A few minutes later she was taking my glasses off as I slept next to her while she watched. I apologized profusely the next day, and she was just happy I was getting some sleep..oh how I love my considerate children!

The trip was tiring! My little guy turned 1 and we had a party for him..he's such a sweetie..he's one of my few boys who isn't walking quite yet..I'm glad! It's nice to keep him little a bit longer..some of my boys have walked at 10 months..where's the baby in that?? :laugh:

Hope you all have a wonderful, big bellied day!

#13 ·
HI all! Been a while since I posted, but I'm so excited that my belly is finally showing! Its been a crazy few weeks -- we've been moving and I've had a bunch of other projects that have been stressing me out. I'm hoping now that we're settled in a new place I can focus on unpacking and building a nest for the little one. Its funny... with the lack of first trimester symptoms sometimes I would forget that I was pregnant -- until a strained my back trying to lift a box, or get overly emotional about something, or want to go to bed at 7:30. :) Now that my tummy is showing and I'm pretty sure I feel movement, it all feels so real! There's definitely no hiding it anymore, and I think I trip to the thrift store is in order. My pants only fit with elastic bands around the buttons these days!

#14 ·
@bluedaisy - I'm not surprised you were tired so early, travelling for work and with your kids while lovely is a lot to carry when pg... Have you had any thoughts or resolutions on the birthing options? I know given your location there's not so much choice.... @MyFillingQuiver - lol! You have done so well on the early growth bit! I haven't gad my belly measured yet, will ask at thus next appintment - it's just not something they focus on so much here early on. At my 16 week appointment I'd only gained 2kg (4.4lb) and since I lost 4kg at the start of the pg it doesn't seem like a lot... I posted a belly pic (on the other thread) and I'm definitely starting to really pop, my mum thinks I look huge lol, but some people pass comment it seems so small for twins etc. the babies were measuring ahead slightly (at 16wks) so I'll just take that :)
Also the ob is still happy for me to eat my extra meals (instead of 3 I probably have 5 but smaller). Totally re the muscles! I seem to go through a slightly sore stretching day every 2-4 days - anyone else get this? @chickweed, wow you had so much energy! Do you feel up to posting a belly pic in the belly thread?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.