• 1 Post By loveandlight33
  • 1 Post By pennywhistle
  • 1 Post By katydid09

#1 of 20 Old 09-02-2014, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First Appointments

Who has already set their first prenatal appointment? Has anyone already been seen? I have an appointment in about three weeks. I'll be almost nine weeks along by that point. I know the time between now and then will probably fly by, but it seems like such a long wait right now! I don't remember setting them this far in advance in my other pregnancies, but I could be wrong. I wanna go right now. Lol! I think it will just make it seem more "official".

Actually, I'm a joyful mom of three and counting! (I was a tad short-sighted when picking my username!) Married to DH since 2006, mom of DS (2007), DD (2009), DS2 (2012) and a new little one expected early May 2015!
#2 of 20 Old 09-03-2014, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I still need to schedule mine. I want to tour a birth center with DH but he started a new job yesterday so he has no time off and our insurance doesn't start until November. I'm just waiting for a little more information from my DH before I call, hopefully it will be sometime this week.

Joyfulmom I never call right away so my first appointments are always later. I was 11 weeks with ds and thought I was 12 weeks with dd, turned out I was more like 14 weeks. The good thing about going so late with my dd was that we found out gender on our first appointment
#3 of 20 Old 09-03-2014, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My first appointment is October 1. You're right, it does seem like a long wait! The funny thing is, I don't even typically go in til closer to the second trimester. I guess I'm just impatient this time.
#4 of 20 Old 09-03-2014, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've contacted the local midwifery office I am interested in and will be setting up an appointment tomorrow.
Going into this a second time, I am so glad to know how much choice I have in a caregiver. The first time around I didn't feel as empowered to take the lead in my own prental care.
I guess that's called confidence.
The next step for me a writing up a thorough list of questions for my potential caregivers.
#5 of 20 Old 09-03-2014, 10:01 PM

It's not my first prenatal, but I'm going in for an ultrasound due to the feeling of a bit of pressure radiating from my right side. Good thoughts and warm wishes from all to be well would be much appreciated!
#6 of 20 Old 09-04-2014, 04:22 AM

No appointments yet, and maybe not for a while. Prenatal care here in Brazil is going to be a little un-conventional. I know a licensed midwife here that speaks English, but she's not currently practicing and she's due to have her own baby in Nov. I will talk to her in the next week or two and see if she's interested in doing it. Otherwise she had mentioned to me before that she's knows a couple of midwives in this area. My pregnancies and births have always been really uneventful, so I'm not too worried about it.

There is no way that I will see an OB here. Brazil has the highest c-section rate in the world. It's up to 80-90% in private hospitals and it's about 45% country-wide. Basically, if you don't show up to the hospital pushing, they wheel you in for surgery. Luckily, midwifery is still legal here and there are plenty of women that can be found to help assist in a home birth. My 3 other children have been born at home anyway with no major issues.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#7 of 20 Old 09-04-2014, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My first appointment is Sept. 30, when I'll be 8 weeks. I was a little worried about waiting since my BP has been a little high lately, and I had gestational hypertension with my first pregnancy, but they didn't seem worried.

Sabrazee - I remember seeing a post from you (maybe it was in the "I'm Pregnant" forum?) about some concerns re: the pressure you've been feeling. Any update?
Sabrazee likes this.

mom to Atticus, born 08/27/12, and baby #2 due 05/07/15.
#8 of 20 Old 09-04-2014, 03:23 PM

pennywhistle I just got my results back and everything is looks great so yay!! I finally feel like I can feel excited about this. Thanks for asking
pennywhistle likes this.
#9 of 20 Old 09-04-2014, 04:00 PM

Glad you are doing great, Sabrazee! Enjoy the excitement!
Sabrazee likes this.

familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif  kid.gif 
#10 of 20 Old 09-04-2014, 04:03 PM

My first appointment is scheduled: September 10th. I'll be 6 weeks and 5 days in. I found a midwife who does solo care, the only in our city, and I am excited to meet with her!
Bonus: the clinic is a 5 minute walk from my house !
Sabrazee likes this.

Last edited by bruna; 09-04-2014 at 04:36 PM.
#11 of 20 Old 09-04-2014, 04:04 PM

Glad everything looks good sabrazee!

We usually don't have our first appointment until 12 weeks, but my last pregnancy I waited until 14 weeks for some reason. It turned out better that way as she could find the heartbeat with the fetoscope easily, and I don't know if she would've been able to at 12 weeks.
Sabrazee likes this.

mama to ds 6, dd 4, & ds 2
#12 of 20 Old 09-05-2014, 02:11 AM

We have our scan date and booking in appointment with the home birth clinic on Oct 13 th. I will see midwife before then for history etc and aldo need to get bloods done at docs. :-)

Sent from my GT-S6500 using Tapatalk 2
#13 of 20 Old 09-05-2014, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
SO glad to hear it, Sabrazee!

And what great news, bruna!
Sabrazee likes this.

mom to Atticus, born 08/27/12, and baby #2 due 05/07/15.
#14 of 20 Old 09-05-2014, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Yay for good news sabrazee.

I have a time on Monday to tour the birth center I would like to use. If my DH is onboard after the tour I'll probably make my first appointment then. I'm really excited.
Sabrazee likes this.
#15 of 20 Old 09-06-2014, 03:16 PM

My first appointment will be just before I hit 7 weeks, which seems to be standard for IVF babies. Just to check how many there are (we suspect twins based on my beta results and the fact that we transferred two great quality embryos) and make sure neither of them are ectopic.

Mama to two, and second-time surrogate. Expecting May 2015.
#16 of 20 Old 09-08-2014, 09:43 PM

My first appointment is scheduled For September 23rd, I'll be just over seven weeks. Just a basic preliminary well check I think, vitamins etc ;-)
#17 of 20 Old 09-12-2014, 10:01 AM

Abraisme: 80-90% c-section rates?!?! That's INSANE! I'd be running for the hills. How are people not outraged about that?

I hope you find a like- minded care provider you can trust.
#18 of 20 Old 09-12-2014, 10:03 AM

I'm still waiting to see if I'll be taken on. Midwives are a hot commodity around here and you pretty much need to have them on the phone as you pee on a stick.
#19 of 20 Old 09-12-2014, 12:51 PM

I'm scheduled for December 2nd. I'll be 16 weeks then. Second baby, cpm practice. I don't really see a reason to go earlier. Checking my own urine, bp had always been fine, nothing I need from them until second trimester, really.
#20 of 20 Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

I just found out yesterday that there is a good homebirth midwife in the town where I live. The extra bonus is that she speaks English! She only takes 2 births a month, so I need to get in contact with her asap!

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page