Mothering Forum banner

First official appointment

844 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  SeattleRain 
#1 ·
I had a dating u/s but Thursday was my first real appointment, but our internet was down till today and I couldn't get mothering mobile to work while the kids were on the computer.

160 heartbeat :) saw a moving hand. Was asked to track blood sugar ALREADY and wonder why given that I have four babies, no history, and my biggest baby was 8 lbs 2 oz at 41 weeks....

#2 ·
oh and 11 weeks exactly on thurs.

#3 ·
Hooray for happy appointments! I'm anxiously anticipating my first appointment next week when I'll be 11+5!

I wonder why blood sugar tracking was brought up, especially if you have no history, plus not crazy huge babies?

#4 ·
only thing i can figure is now i'm 37, I'm now hypothyroid and wasn't before, and my loss last year? Along with a general consensus that our favorite local CNM is under some pressure from her higher ups to get moms to follow regular protocol?

#6 ·
I don't know, honestly. But I figure poking my finger and doing a reading isn't going to screw with what's already going on, it will either identify a problem, or there isn't one. Unlike drinking a cup of pure glucose on an empty stomach, which I won't do.

And a side bonus of procuring a meter is my diabetic husband will no longer have a flippin excuse not to check his blood sugar.

#7 ·
I don't know, honestly. But I figure poking my finger and doing a reading isn't going to screw with what's already going on, it will either identify a problem, or there isn't one. Unlike drinking a cup of pure glucose on an empty stomach, which I won't do.

And a side bonus of procuring a meter is my diabetic husband will no longer have a flippin excuse not to check his blood sugar.
Monitoring blood sugar over time makes So Much More Sense!!

And. ..my husband is a diabetic too. He manages it well with monitoring food intake (no bread, rice, potatoes, corn), but is slipping a bit and needs to get back on track!

#10 ·
For my first pregnancy at 35 yrs old, my midwife told me to start tracking blood sugar for two weeks as soon as the first trimester was over and I could stomach a variety of food again. I appreciated this, since it helped me identify potential "bad" foods right away, before they could create any harm. I'm guessing the same will be true this time around, and I'm guessing that's why your midwife might have done it (that, plus your age, which can be a factor). Congrats on a great appointment!!

#11 ·
Weird about the tracking but I'm glad it was an otherwise good appointment! :)

#12 ·
We had our 1st appointment on Monday, at 8w5d. We saw the baby and the little heart beating, now it's REAL. I don't know how you all do to without ultrasounds, my anxiety was already through the roof.

So I'm going back to my old OBGYN clinic because I really like my OB and I feel like she respects me and my choices, and always gives me choices about my care. Truly, until I came to MDC I had no idea why people hated OB's because my experience was so excellent. This time around, I've learned that my practice has taken on 2 CNMs, so I asked if I might be a candidate for midwifery care. They said that the midwives don't do VBAC patients, but apparently now they have some policy where unless you have problems, you don't see the OB until 32 weeks! All my care will be "outsourced" to the midwives! I feel so happy, like I'm getting the best of both worlds. I get to have midwifery care, but the security of an OB during delivery.

I was surprised and pleased that WhenI asked if I was going to be scheduled for a repeat C, the midwife said "we don't do that here." Basically, they assume I'm going to be a candidate for a VBAC and proceed in that way until they learn otherwise, or there is some kind of emergent situation that necessitates induction since you can't be safely induced after a C (like pre E or previa were the examples she gave). I having my VBAC!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.