Mothering Forum banner

Chit Chat Thread 2/24 - 3/2

2K views 79 replies 14 participants last post by  judybean 
#1 ·
Another month is nearly up ladies! How's everyone doing?

I had an OB appointment today that included the "wonderful" GD test -- I should hear back in a few days. Thank goodness we live near the office because I definitely needed some serious protein after that "beverage". Other than that, everything is looking good, my weight and uterus are right where the doctors want them to be :) And I get to start bi-weekly appointments.

Also -- quick reminder for anyone doing the birth bead swap, get me your beads!! So far I've gotten them from two people...

#2 ·
Thank you for the reminder! I'll get on that!

My life is basically just sewing, cleaning, laundry, cooking, and hauling kids around. And *not* sleeping. Because who needs sleep, right?

#3 ·
Ha ha, isn't it awful? It was so much grosser than I expected, I felt nauseous all day.

I think I have totally hit a wall with this pregnancy. It is just so so hard. I spend hours awake every night, because I am in so much pain. Then I can't do anything during the day, so I get all grouchy with DH for not keeping everything picked up. I should be more thankful that I have him home to help! Yesterday I spent the day crying on and off because it is just so frustrating, and I am worried that I won't be a good enough mama to five kids.
Anyway, I feel a little better today. The kids have two weeks off school, so DH is trying to take them out every afternoon while I rest. I have had fun ordering the double stroller and whole load of other baby stuff - can't wait for that to arrive.

Oh, and I need a new book! Any recommendations? I like apocalit, but can't manage anything too scary - basically zombies or clowns are out :lol

#6 ·
I think I have totally hit a wall with this pregnancy. It is just so so hard. I spend hours awake every night, because I am in so much pain. Then I can't do anything during the day, so I get all grouchy with DH for not keeping everything picked up. I should be more thankful that I have him home to help! Yesterday I spent the day crying on and off because it is just so frustrating, and I am worried that I won't be a good enough mama to five kids.
That sounds super tough. I'm sorry you're having such a rough time! Have your tried taking calcium and magnesium at night? It can help a lot with restlessness and pain at night. I'm just reaching the point where I really need it now, although I probably should have started awhile ago.

If it helps, I'm having a good number of days where I'm struggling to get things done and I only have one toddler to chase around. :)

Yes the drink is horrid! I swear despite packing in the protein right after my appointment that I didn't feel like myself until after lunch. BUT I just got a call from the OB's office and I'm GD free!! (they said the results could take up to 3 days) Buuut I'm slightly anemic so I need add an iron supplement. And probably eat more hamburgers...
I *hate* the drink. I'm currently waiting on a call back about an alternative food method. My midwife said it isn't the jellybeans - it's actual food, but it's very specific and it's the CNM providing my back up care who has the information so I'm not sure what it will entail. When I did the drink with my first, I almost passed out at the draw and then I threw up the little bit of protein I ate that morning. It was horrible and it would be really great if I could avoid that crash this time around, especially since I'm going to be driving myself home this time.

Yay for being GD free, though!

Sorry to hear about the anemia. I wasn't technically anemic but I was borderline with my first and the birth center wanted their out of hospital clients to be well within the normal range so I had to supplement. I found one that was gentle on my body and not terribly expensive. I'm super nervous about having to take extra iron this time, though, because (possibly TMI) I've been dealing with so much constipation already this time around. It's no bueno. The magnesium should also help with that, but I'm kind of playing catch up. I never had this last time so I wasn't expecting it.

--

I'm doing otherwise alright. SO tired of winter, though. I feel awful complaining because we have it pretty mild compared to my northern and Canadian friends and family, but these tail end of winter storms keep hitting us and it just sucks. It's hard to do much inside and we've got way too much screen time in our lives right now, but our area isn't equipped to deal with the snow and the ice so we're kind of housebound whenever it happens. Ugh.

Not long now, right? I've been making garden plans, starting pepper seedlings and working on a few crafts to keep myself busy.

#4 ·
Yes the drink is horrid! I swear despite packing in the protein right after my appointment that I didn't feel like myself until after lunch. BUT I just got a call from the OB's office and I'm GD free!! (they said the results could take up to 3 days) Buuut I'm slightly anemic so I need add an iron supplement. And probably eat more hamburgers...
@babymonster -- are you ok with YA lit? and do you have a way to read kindle books?

#5 ·
@babymonster-I haven't read any of these myself, but a book loving friend just posted this list on her facebook, and I'm planning to check some of them out.

Good (4+ Stars) books I've read lately:
Half a King by Joe Abercrombie (Viking style fantasy)
The Marco Effect by Jussi Adler-Olsen (Scandinavian mystery)
Promise of Blood by Brian McLellan (1700s-esque fantasy)
Unwholly by Neal Shusterman (YA dystopian)
The Crimson Campaign by Brian McLellan (1700s-esque fantasy)
Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb (Medieval fantasy)
The Iris Fan by Laura Joh Rowland (Feudal Japan samurai mystery)
And hugs on the hard pregnancy. I can't imagine carrying two at once!

#7 ·
Justlizzy yay for passing your glucose test! My iron levels are low too, I need to remember to ask how low at my appointment tomorrow.

Babymonster sorry I don't have any books to recommend, I haven't read anything for a while. The last trimester is so rough I can only imagine going through it with twins, hugs.

I'm 30 weeks and I've had a couple people mention lately how small I look. I don't think I'm much different from my last two pregnancies (both just over 9lbs at birth) but it's starting to make me a little nervous. I'm glad I've got an appointment tomorrow.

#8 ·
@babymonster, have you read "The Passage" by Justin Cronin? Excellent apocalit and one of my favorite books of all time (apocalit is my favorite genre, but most of my reading within that has had zombies). I'm really sorry things are so hard already For you. ..

I'm feeling larger lately (though not really that big) and just generally a bit tired. And grumpy. And like I'm never ever going to sleep again. I dread bedtime because it just means another battle with dd4 (she has been my worst sleeper EVER ... at least she's not waking up 12+ times per night now).

#9 ·
Normally, I think the drink is awful too, but this time I was really thirsty, so I didn't mind it that much. Lol! I passed too. :) (Mine was last month, I think). And I'm not anemic this time, but still a bit low within the normal range. I'm trying to stay off coffee and tea to see if that helps, but it's SO hard. Coffee is soooo good. Lol!

I've pretty much had a cold all month that is *finally* starting to go away. I'm so happy. I think what really started working was eating raw garlic and drinking 2 teaspoons of ACV in water each day. Amazing. The garlic is surprisingly not harsh to me. I've been either grating it w/my microplane, or putting it in the garlic press and mixing it with butter then spreading it on toast. Yum. (Well, sometimes it burns my mouth, but once I've swallowed it, it doesn't bother me...aside from the garlic burps:lol). I'm just happy to be feeling better.

#11 ·
I've pretty much had a cold all month that is *finally* starting to go away. I'm so happy. I think what really started working was eating raw garlic and drinking 2 teaspoons of ACV in water each day.
Thanks for the reminder, I should take raw garlic.I know it works! I have always taken mine crushed on a spoon and drank it down with juice. I like your toast idea better, :wink:

#10 ·
babymonster- I am sorry it is so hard for you. ((Hugs)) I was young, when I did it and only had a toddler girl who played by me nicely while I napped in the day on the couch.I remember the pains and aches at night, but I think i was able to sleep pretty well between all the night time trips to the potty, oh my! I had one really laid back baby who was happy most all the time and one more needy baby so maybe it won't be too hard. Do you have anyone coming to help you at all when they are first born? My MIL came for a week or two when they were first born and my mother lived nearby at the time and helped me some too when they were small.

Update on me- I am feeling big, but at the same time still functioning pretty normally so i guess I am not too big yet, The tummy is just starting to get bumped when I try to do stuff! I should post an updated photo.:wink:

My 4 yr old was pretty sick over the weekend with a bug:cough, cold, congestion fever thing.The past two nights his coughing has had me up quite a bit. We ended up on the couches last night at 1 am when his coughing flared up and it worked and he was able to get back to sleep and stop coughing so much. I had the cold too, and now its turned into an annoying bit of a cough, which I hope I can keep from getting too bad.

I hope you got my beads ok, justlizzy?

I too am getting annoyed with Winter. I live in Montana but am not a winter loving girl. Its been snowing today, and the ground is again covered in white.For some weird reason in January we had no snow and pretty decent temps- lots of 40's 50's and the snow was all melted. I was not complaining! Now this snow is depressing me an dthinking we probably have 3 more months of snow ahead or something lol.

I can't help dreaming of amazing June days outside in my yard, with my new baby, gardening, etc... The summers here are amazing:grin:

I've been working on some Shutterfly photobooks for my creative outlet recently.

#12 ·
@RonnaLeigh -- I didn't realize you were in Montana! I'm just down in north-central WY. It's snowing all around us, but we've lucked out (I guess?) and just gotten some bitter cold wind. My parents are traveling today over roads that have snow tire laws in effect though.. so they're not quite as lucky right now.

This baby #6 has been crazy active lately and I love it. And, I was thinking earlier that in just four days I'll be 30 weeks. THIRTY WEEKS! Hitting a week number that starts with a new number is always a big deal... but 30 seems especially big. I was even thinking that I might just go to mass on Sundays 10 more times before meeting baby! Somehow that really hit me in a crazy way (I think it was because I was looking at the March cantoring schedule to see when I would sing and MIL plays the organ and I started thinking that I'll get to be off the rotation for a while ;) ).

Still no girl names that I can think of that I really like. Except of course suddenly not sure I want to use Della (MILs middle name) as this baby's middle name if we have a girl. I'm kind of more drawn to Iris because the iris has always been my mom's favorite flower. And I'm feeling particularly close to and protective of my parents since they were so harshly treated and completely canned from life-long jobs. Not sure what dh thinks of it... he's super close to his mom (his parents divorced when he was young because his dad was an alcoholic... his dad lives in the same town as we do, yet we never see him... our kids only know him as "daddy's dad" , not as grandpa... because he's no grandpa to them... and with that, MIL relied on dh -- the oldest of the four boys -- for a lot and they're very close... MIL just lives a mile away).... so... he probably really liked that I suggested a name to tie in with his mom. hm... Might have to discuss that.

Sewed two more baby outfits today. I, uh, might need to change baby's clothes five times per day to get use out of all these goods.... At least it keeps me busy in a productive way.

#16 ·
@RonnaLeigh -- I didn't realize you were in Montana! I'm just down in north-central WY.
And, I was thinking earlier that in just four days I'll be 30 weeks. THIRTY WEEKS! Hitting a week number that starts with a new number is always a big deal... but 30 seems especially big.
Yes, we are in the same region. We moved here last spring from the very North western corner of Nebraska. We'd lived there 15 years. I remember you mentioning Yellowstone and we are not that far from there -2.5 hrs I think.

I will be 30 weeks at my next appointment (March 16)so awhile yet, but that does seem like its getting close, I was thinking of that.

My husband and I have not really talked baby names yet, I have done a bit of looking and am just not sure, I think I want to go with a name that starts with Z since my youngest is Zachary. He and this baby will be much closer in age ( almost like 2 families ) so I thought it might be nice to have another Z name. I have thought of Zanae for a girls name, and Zayden for a boys name. No idea on middle names.

Have the rest of you figured out names?

#13 ·
Anyone else dealing with a low lying placenta? I had an ultrasound today and I expected (at least hoped) mine had moved the required distance the midwives wanted (at least 2cm from cervix). Unfortunately it is only at .9cm, about .2cm difference in 8 weeks :( My midwife did say that as long as it moves at least 1cm away from my cervix we can try for a vaginal delivery, I will just be watched closely and there will have to be an ob on call at the hospital. I'm confident that I'll make it to the 1cm distance so I won't have to schedule a c section. Hopefully it will move even more than that so there won't be other possible complications. It's really frustrating because it is out of my control, all I can do is wait and see. Sorry this post was an all about me pitty party.

#17 ·
I'm 30 weeks now too.. Just 10+ to go, ahhhh! No GD test here unless my second blood test reveals a big discrepancy from my first blood test. My sister (who takes fantastic care of herself, eats a very clean diet and is thin with no family history) ended up with GD recently in her last pregnancy, so sometimes it is good to get the test, even if there is no history at all.

Move placenta, move!

Sorry for the bad weather, I will think of you all as I sit here sweating.

People here keep commenting on how big I'm growing and then my midwife said that I look pretty small for 30 weeks. Like every person here I know points to my belly and says I'm getting big. Perhaps it's an easy thing to say in English?? but I never know how to respond to this.. I'm like, "yeah, it supposed to grow, it's normal". I totally understand how you can feel like you're growing and stretching, yet not feel huge. Some days my tummy feels so tight, especially when I walk.

We had out name chosen for us, so I didn't have to think about it at all. It's still so strange for me to imagine having a child named John (my other kids have very unusual names), but such is life.

#19 ·
There is a tradition in my dh's family where they alternate naming the first born between George and John. My dh is George, his father is John, his grandfather is George and so on. This baby will be the ninth generation, but only the fifth John, so John Edmund V. My 11yo ds was from a previous relation, but he was adopted by my dh last year.

#20 ·
I feel super huge this time around. The curve has just been different than it was last time, and I feel like I'm just really big all over. Last time I was "all belly" for the most part. Dh disagrees with me but I just feel so... not cute right now.

We do have a name chosen, I think. :)

Abraisme, that's an interesting tradition!

#21 ·
I'm actually feeling pretty small most days. I've gained the least amount of weight ever with this pregnancy, so I feel like I'm more belly than just fat. Usually I've gained 30-35lbs by now, but this time I'm only up 22lbs (30w). I still fit into a lot of my stretchy non maternity clothes, which is unheard of for me! Although I'm still super tired and having other new issues like vericose veins, yay fourth pregnancies!

#22 ·
@katydid09 -- fingers crossed! They haven't made any mention about the location of mine, so I'm guessing that means all things are good?
@RonnaLeigh -- yes! DH hadn't checked mail in a few days and I've been working some funky hours this week with public information meetings in the evenings, but they were sitting there this morning :)

Someone at the meeting last night asked how far along I was and when I said 7-months this Sunday they told me that they would have guessed 5. Then again, I think that my net weight gain has only been 18 pounds so far. Also, we ran into an interesting character at the meeting last night - she left multiple written comments and just seemed like grumpy older woman all the way around - but when she was (forcefully) tossing her second comment in the box she called me and the gal I was paired with a couple of "prostitutes". Siiigh, gotta love working on controversial projects :thumb She was by far the most interesting interaction, the rest of the not-so-happy people just wanted to feel like someone was listening to them and allow them to vent.

We're nowhere near close on a name - we currently have 5 or 6 (depending on the day) top first names. Middles we have no idea on.

I did finally get around to calling about pediatricians in our area who are willing to do delayed schedules and the receptionist gave me a whole list of them. So another thing crossed off the list.

I also printed the pre-reg and birth wishes paperwork this morning and started filling them out. I have a feeling they'll tell me soonish that I need to contact the hospital to square things away, and figure if I have things filled out it'll be that much easier.

#23 ·
Ronnaleigh my youngest son's name is Zayd. :)

Had my gd test Tuesday. Failed the 2nd hour draw by 4 points. Have to go to the class next week.

Her name is chosen & it's adorable that my kids talk to the belly by name.

I have gained 3 pounds. Everyone said it's fine because there's a transfer of fat to baby & she's growing fine.

30 weeks! Exciting.

#24 ·
Tried running a bit today. It's harder at nearly 30 weeks now, but I gave it my best shot. It never got above single digit temps with wind chill, so I was in on a treadmill. After doing my best to try and not pee myself while running, I decided some brisk, heavily-inclined walking was probably better anyway. It didn't give quite the same rush as running, but my legs feel fabulous from being used like that. I still feel that familiar slight burn of muscles protesting, yet jumping for joy.

I'm really hoping that between running, some Natural Calm, and beyond that *maybe* a bit of sleep could be in my future.

#26 ·
Sorry for the no-sleeping, Judy :(

I also haven't heard anything about my placenta position - I'm assuming they would say something if it was potentially close to my cervix?

Yay for passing the GD test! I also passed, and am also borderline anemic. Oops. Any suggestions for cheap iron supplements? I've been taking Floradix, but it's so expensive.

I'm suddenly feeling huge in the last week. My overall weight gain has only been 16lbs, but it seems to all be located in my uterus. I'm starting to get some round ligament pain in the evenings, and standing up after laying on the couch is getting hard!

I've also found myself totally overwhelmed with affection towards my son (2.5yo). Like, just crazy in love with him, wanting to hug him constantly, watch him sleep, etc. I mean, I've always loved the kid, but lately it's just SO INTENSE. Anyone else? I feel a little ridiculous, and my husband thinks it's hilarious. Luckily Atticus puts up with it, for the most part.

#27 ·
Peaceful_mama that's a bummer about your GD test, hope your class goes well.

Judybean I'm impressed that you tried running, sorry it didn't help you sleep better.

So far I've gained over 30lbs (yikes), I'm not sure where it's going, I don't feel or think I look like I've gained that much. I guess I should start snacking less just before bed.

#29 ·
I'm getting so frustrated with my midwife AND my back up care provider. I'm supposed to do the glucose test like, soon. With my first, I had a bad reaction to the drink and asked my mw if it would be possible to do a food method this time to hopefully prevent a major crash. She said that my back up CNM had a method that involved real food (not jellybeans, although I can't even do that because I'm allergic to the only brand she'll allow) and she would reach out for me.

She didn't, so I emailed her about it a couple of weeks later. I never got a reply so I sent her a text after a few days and she apologized, said she had forgotten and would find out. That was over a week ago. I was also trying to talk to the CNM's assistant, who told me on Tuesday she would call me back by Wednesday. It's Friday, and I've heard nothing. I left a voicemail this morning and never heard back, and I sent another text to my mw and never got a response.

:sigh: I'm not being pushy. I've been waiting weeks for this information. I'll be 28 weeks next week and I don't have this scheduled yet. I'm so incredibly frustrated about the lack of communication. I like my mw overall but she's been less than great about communication a few times now and it's bothering me a lot. This is my first home birth, and I hate feeling like my mw barely remembers I'm a client.

#30 ·
keakiepie - it is very annoying to feel ignored like that! Did you have GD last time? I would probably skip the test so long as there is no sugar in your pee tests. This was the first time I ever had to do it.

katydid09 - don't worry, lat time I weighed myself i was up 50lb. Happens to me every time, yay. I hope your placenta moves! I think it is a good sig if it is not causing any spotting or anything.

pennywhistle - I remember that when I was pregnant with my 2nd! I felt so sentimental about my baby losing his place. I remember lying in bed with him the night I went into labour.

judybean - I am incredibly impressed with your running. I can barely hobble down the stairs :lol I can't wait to get out walking with the babies in the spring!
Thanks for the book recommendation - I will check it out! And I am totally with you on no sleep - very frustrating.

peaceful_mama - sorry about the GD, what a PITA. I love the name Zayd, and also Zane :)

justlizzy - WTH? Why was she calling you prostitutes??? What is your job?

Abraisme - gah, that would drive me crazy with the naming tradition! I don't think I could do it!

RonnaLeigh - I have a friend with 3 boys who are Zenen, Zade, and Zander :)

Angelorum - thanks for the book list! Off to check on amazon... :)

Wow, I really left it too long to reply to this thread, that took ages!

#37 ·
justlizzy - WTH? Why was she calling you prostitutes??? What is your job?
I'm a scientist for an engineering firm, I do NEPA-related things, GIS, and biological field work -- the context was a public meeting for a somewhat controversial road project, and we're pretty sure that the woman was really "off".

So, 28 weeks today. Hello third trimester! We finished out our weekend intensive birth class earlier. Well, actually we skipped out before the final breastfeeding portion to get grocery shopping out of the way. I'm pretty sure I'm covered in that department between my mom (a form LLL leader) and the local LLL group. I am SO happy that we opted for the weekend intensive over the full 8-week thing. There were things brought up that were WAY out there on the hippie scale that made me go :jaw :yikes :horror So yeah... Also I feel like we're pretty well prepared and would have been without the class (took it because the hospital pushes it for first time parents), but I guess we're really well off now.

Anyone have any big plans this week?

#31 ·
Before my running the other day, I happened to weigh myself, since we have no scale at home and my midwife never makes me weigh in, just asks if I know. . And I'm not quite up to my prepregnancy weight. So weird being 30 weeks tomorrow and I've not gained a thing (but my belly -- and baby -- are definitely growing). This actually makes me think team pink (girl) because this was about how my first four pregnancies went down. I didn't gain much with ds (and never guessed he was a boy since we never find out), but definitely by this point I had gained at least 15lbs. With my girls, I actually ended up weighing less after birth (losing about 9lbs of baby, all the fluids, etc) than I did going into pregnancy.

I'm really looking forward to meeting this baby. I'm so excited to see what this new little person will be like and look like!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.