Mothering Forum banner

Birthing

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Angelorum 
#1 ·
I feel like I've done very little birth prep this time around, and have this notion that it's going to be a little baby with a quick easy labour that'll just tickle.

Given my history (average sized babies, long labours), I think I'm delusional....or in denial, lol.

Maybe I just don't see it as close enough or real enough just yet to devote energy to, maybe the focus on birth will just come later.

How 'bout you ladies....are you doing anything to prepare? Have you put together your resources or packed a bag or anything?.....I guess I should pack bags for my kids too, huh?

#2 ·
With my first I was literally ready by 28 weeks I was totally neurotic. Ds (dear son) made an appearance at 39, 5. 3 1/2 hours active labor, 12 hours counting early labor where contractions were not consistent (I'd have 2-3 then a hour of nothing).

With DD (dear daughter) I did virtually no prep. I did enough to be get through the first few days but not much else. The car seat was not even installed. I had dd 39,4. 3 hours labor start to finish. 1 period of false labor lasting 2 hours a few days before.

This time I am expecting a 39 weeker and praying for a labor closer to my dd's. I am doing a fair bit of prep now (since I virtually have to start over), but nothing like what I did with ds.

#3 ·
I am reading a lot of inspirational birth stories and I listen to some pregnancy and birth meditations while I'm falling asleep most nights. I'm just really trying to get to a mental place of being more grateful for the new little baby and the labor experience than I am apprehensive about the discomfort ahead.

Physically, I need to get on some exercises and stretches, and in a few weeks I am planning to start seeing a chiro for a few adjustments.

#4 ·
My labor with Zachary was pretty hard, back to back contractions. 5 hrs. It was also a VBAC where we traveled in a car with hard labor for 1.5 hrs to the hospital that would allow me a VBAC. I am looking forward to my own home, without all that stress this time. I am hoping it might be a bit easier esp if I water birth with this one, but not counting on it really being any easier. My first birth-was a home, water birth and was lots easier . It was an 8 hr labor, but I had nice breaks where labor started out with half hr breaks between contractions than gradually got closer together, 20 mins, 15 mins, 10 mins and than an hr maybe of back to back maybe more. When It was back to back and getting really hard I got into the tub and I had a nice break and than was at the pushing stage. I hope this birth will be eased by the water also. But whatever-I will just get it over with and than my baby will be here!

#5 ·
i might add that my first Daughter was 7 lbs 4 oz, Zachary was 8 lbs 12 oz, so that might have made a difference too on the intensity of labor? This baby is measuring big too- so I am expecting another big baby this time too. Esp with how much I have had to eat this pregnancy to keep ahead of being sick! Its always been a growing baby from day one!!

#6 ·
I have never really done any birth preparation, apart from reading positive birth stories and maybe a few affirmations of particular things I was worrying about.
Whenever I worry about something specific, it ends up being something else entirely that I had never even thought about. ;)

#7 ·
I've read a couple books, and mostly just meditating on Scriptures and positive birth affirmations. I have in my brain that this baby will want to come around 39 weeks or so, so that's what I'm preparing for. Time will tell when that actually happens though- this is my fourth, and I'm just thinking she will follow the pattern- they keep getting gradually earlier (and bigger!) Hopefully she'll be a more *average* size though. :)

#8 ·
Maybe I just don't see it as close enough or real enough just yet to devote energy to, maybe the focus on birth will just come later.
Yes! I can't quite get into a birth-prep mindset either. With my two boys, I remember doing a lot of reading and even doing meditations and Birthing From Within activities... Somehow, I guess I just trust that this birth will be okay and I'll know what to do b/c I've been there before. Maybe it's a naive way of thinking?

I labored for 30 hrs with DS1 and a partial placental abruption meant I needed to be induced with DS2 (they were both 8 lbs 11 oz). I managed both of those labors without interventions (obviously, I had pitocin for the induction, but didn't need any other intervention)--guess I figure that it can't be much harder than that... but I could be wrong?

#9 ·
H was 8 lbs 2.8 oz at birth and I was induced a week early with him. No medication (a bit of laughing gas right at the end). Z was 9 lbs 3 oz at birth and we had a natural home waterbirth...no meds and I was 3 cm for a couple days and then 6-7 cm for a couple days (NOT JOKING) and the labour was a bit intense but fairly quick. I read lots of books with both and this time around I keep saying I am going to and then.... :/ Long story short I am not ready!

I have some Ina May books I want to re-read and plan on it but right now I sort of feel like I need to get our car/carseat situation sorted out first. And when the baby shower happens I will feel more prepared. But like...birthing...yikes. That is like 30 days away give or take a few...and I am mind blown.

#10 ·
I've also done very little this time. I do focus on relaxing my whole body every time I have a bhx, but that's about it. I did a ton of prep work (Bradley classes, hypnobirthing, meditation, reading EVERYTHING, etc) with my other 3 and I'm feeling like I pretty much know what to expect and how to handle it. My other labors have been long (from first painful contraction), but most of it was mellow first stage labor with contractions every 10 minutes or so. I've never been in active/intense labor for more than 2-4 hours (this includes the 2.5 hours of pushing with my first), and one of them I was up walking around chatting until 15 minutes before she was born. I always knew I was in labor and that things were progressing though, even if it was mellow and slow.

The definition of when labor starts is so subjective. With my second my contractions were 10-15 minutes apart for 26 hours and then I went into transition and had her 15 minutes later. With my third, it was 14 hours from the first pain, but really only 3-4 hours of focused, more intense labor. My best friend has labors that are the 7-8 hour intense 'labor-land" type and I would say that hers seemed harder than mine.. Anyway, I think it will be fine and I'm still sort of in denial that I will have another baby soon..

The rest of the stuff I'm pretty well prepared for, we have clothes, diapers, a carseat, carriers, and a bouncy chair. I'm set!

#11 ·
Abra, thanks...I am going to start doing that! I need to relax myself more during bhx. I have been forcing myself to get out and walk as much as possible to the park and back, it is 0.7 km (0.43 miles) one way and then a bit to the playground and back home and that is about all I can handle right now! I think my baby is pretty heavy. I am guessing definitely over 6 lbs by now. I get a lot of bhx when I walk though and just stop and lean on the stroller and breathe them through. Ideally I will start doing the same at home :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.