Mothering Forum banner

The PP Thread!

4K views 55 replies 12 participants last post by  Angelorum 
#1 ·
I thought I would start a new thread for all the pp mamas and their babies..

How is breastfeeding going?
How are you feeling?
What is your baby like?
Who are their placenta and do you think it helps?
Any other questions or rants???

Reactions: trus and Schere K
#2 ·
Yay!! So funny that this is just starting and it's May 23rd ;) We sure have a bunch of hypergestators ;)

It seems to be going well :) Milk came in today, so I have even larger than large boobs... but not in a crazy uncomfortable engorged way, which is nice. They're just very full. Nipples are a bit sore while we work things out, but the football hold seems to really be the best thing for both of us right now (and it has been that way for babies past while both parties learn what each one needs). Poop has also transitioned from meconium to seedy-looking poop :)

How are you feeling?

I feel like my answer is twofold. .. I feel fabulous .... mostly. I did get two stitches/sutures after my nearly 10-pound, two-push baby barreled into the world. But honestly, my vagina is fsbulous. My butt, on the other hand, is not faring so well. (Reference my post on the chat thread of googling, "F**k you postpartum hemorrhoids"). So, so ridiculously uncomfortable and painful to walk or sit. I know they'll go away soon (I discovered their joy after child #5 , so at least this time around I wasn't as ill prepared or clueless), but in the meantime it just sucks.

What is your baby like?

Bernadette... hmm... I feel like I'm still figuring her out. She doesn't cry much at all. She also doesn't open her eyes at much as some of my babies have. So. . I don't know what that means yet! She seems quite even-tempered (has tolerated grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, sisters) all holding her and being passed around, so that's good. I think I'll need more 60 hours with her to fully sort it out.

Who ate their placenta and do you think it helped?

No placenta-eating here. Never have, never had issues. So... yeah.

Any other questions or rants?

I have no idea what to attribute it to, but my postpartum bleeding *knockonwood* has been pretty manageable this time around. It's never been like crazy out of control, but I really feel like it's already lighter faster than ever. I also feel like things healed so fast (other than butt complications. .. lol. .. except not so funny). I'm still tired easily/quickly, but not sore or completely done in. Like, I told dh we could do this again... less than 24 hours after her birth. I don't know is it was the water or what, but wow. I'll take it.

#6 · (Edited)
My butt, on the other hand, is not faring so well. (Reference my post on the chat thread of googling, "F**k you postpartum hemorrhoids")

UGH! I have had constant hemorrhoids for several months now, at least mine don't hurt or itch, but I am dreading labor and what that will do to them :( I had them a bit at the end with Zachary and remember them clearing up pretty quickly after birth? If you figure out any cures, please pass it along!

#3 ·
Nearing 2 weeks pp here. Breastfeeding is going well, I was crazy engorged for a few days, with Fay taking such long naps during the day and doing pretty long stretches at night too. I still cringe a little when she latches sometimes, but it's fine once she gets going.

So far, she seems to be a super chill little baby. As long as she gets fed when she wants she hardly makes a peep. I looked up a Dunstan baby language video on youtube, and I can totally hear the baby 'words' from her. She tells me she needs to burp more often than I would think to burp her. Very helpful to know what she wants! I'm trying not to feel too confident in calling her an easy baby just yet. We'll see if she starts getting fussier in a few weeks.

I think my second bleeding episode from all the birth-registering madness is drying up. It was still bright red yesterday, but today seems much better. I've been trying to take it really easy, I really feel pretty great, but I hit a wall really quickly if I get up and do too much.

My placenta is currently in the freezer, where it freaks me out everytime I go looking for the ice cream :lol It will be going in the garden at some point in the future.

Emotionally, I'm feeling a little fragile (just normal pp stuff probably), the neurotic anxiety stuff hasn't hit me yet, but I think it hadn't at this point last time either. Probably because I'm usually right next to her. I'm crossing my fingers it's not as bad as last time.

#7 ·
I looked up a Dunstan baby language video on youtube, and I can totally hear the baby 'words' from her. She tells me she needs to burp more often than I would think to burp her. Very helpful to know what she wants!
I have never heard of this, I'll have to look it up! Sounds fascinating!

I think my second bleeding episode from all the birth-registering madness is drying up.
After your experience on registering the birth, I asked my midwife on Friday what I would need to do, and she does it all! Yay!! She said here in our state the midwifes register the birth and it is all done online.

#4 ·
Congratulations to everyone on the new babies! They are all gorgeous :) Sorry I haven't commented - every time I get online I am either tandem nursing or holding crying babies...

We are finally EBFing with no pumping and no bottles - yay! Sleepier baby is doing a lot better at waking up to nurse, so long as I pay attention during the night and keep him going a little longer. i hired some scales because I was worried about how skinny he is, but he is keeping pace with his brother, just a pound behind. So it's going well, but is completely NON STOP.

How are you feeling?
Doing pretty well - just getting back into family life after all the hospital time. I had pain for exactly a month after my C/S, but it feels fine now. I still sometimes have a little bit of pink bleeding, almost 2 months PP. Not sure if that is just things healing on the inside?

What is your baby like?
The babies are SO different, in appearance and personality! Felix is high maintenance, difficult to get to sleep, constantly nursing. Forrest is super chill. One baby like him would be so easy.

Nope, didn't even get to see mine :(

Not a rant, but was just thinking how may babies are still like newborns. I guess the only benefit of having preemies is that they stay new for so much longer. They are both trying to smile this week, so I think the new baby phase is almost done. Boohoo, I love newbies!

#8 · (Edited)
We are finally EBFing with no pumping and no bottles - yay!
Good job, mama, I admire your dedication esp with all the hospital stays and all you have been through. Much admiration going out to you that you have accomplished this! I wish I could redo my nursing experience of my twins, I feel I would have bonded with them much better and that my fussier baby would have been better off without the formula and EBFing.

What is your baby like?
The babies are SO different, in appearance and personality! Felix is high maintenance, difficult to get to sleep, constantly nursing. Forrest is super chill. One baby like him would be so easy.
I had the same thing with my twins, my DD was so easy and laid back and my DS was high maintenance etc...:grin:

So fun on the first baby grins! And so good to hear an update from you :grin:

#5 ·
So I posted this and didn't actually respond myself.. Heh..

So far breastfeeding is going well, he nurses a lot during the day and only a couple of times at night. Of course he's only 2 days old, so anything could change at any moment. My nipples are slightly sore, which is normal for me.. And even though he's quite TT, he seems to be transfering milk just fine. My milk is starting to come in and his poo has transitioned to yellow. My midwife said she will attempt the tongue clipping on Monday, which should prevent any further nipple damage I hope.

How are you feeling?
I'm feeling really good actually. Probably the best I've ever felt pp. I had zero tearing, so my bottom feels just a tad swollen. My pubic bone pain pretty much goes away ASAP, which is nice. Really, my ribs are the only thing that really hurt, it feels like everything is shifting around and creating new pressure. I think I will see the chiro this week to make sure everything settles back into place straight. Oh, and like Judy my pp bleeding has been less this time. My midwife said I had very little bleeding with the placenta, but 4 large clots came out with it. Maybe most of the blood was in the clots? But yeah, overall I feel good, I was so weak and light headed for weeks after I had my last baby. I'm glad I don't have to relive that!

What is your baby like?
So far he's great. However, I try not to hold too many judgements about 2 day old babies, ha ha. He's been awake and nursing a lot during the day, then he slept for 12 hours both nights. Last night he woke quietly to nurse 3 times and fell right back to sleep. I woke up way more times than he did to check on him (he's sleeping right next to me). I think I feel so good because I've gotten plenty of sleep the last 2 nights, hopefully it holds out! My other babies all had their days and nights confused for at least a few weeks.

No placenta eating here either. However I did save it just in case I felt really weak and lightheaded again this time.

Really my only issues are my dh and dd1, who are both having a hard time. My dh gets overwhelmed very easily and it's hard on him when I'm not functioning well (which has been for several months). My dd is just overall having a hard time with the transition to Brazil, then trying out school and now the new baby. She really doesn't want to leave the house without me, so she's hardly gone anywhere for weeks. I hoping that once I'm mobile again she will want to leave the house more. I'm not really sure what to do about it, let her stay or force her to go kicking and crying.

Oh, and we have so much paperwork and difficult registration issues to deal with in the next few weeks, it is sort of overwhelming. We need to get Johns birth certificate, then start the process of getting our residency, then we want to buy a propery ASAP as the exchange rate right now is really good. So much to do and it's slow and frustrating and of course we don't speak the language well enough, so that adds to the joy of it all.

I'm just glad I feel well and Johnny is sleeping. My family really needs me functioning again soon!

Reactions: Everlong753
#9 ·
Ronna, that's great that your midwife does the birth certificate for you. We found out yesterday that my dh will have to take 2 witnesses to another town about an hour away to do the paperwork for Johns birth certificate. So basically we have to find 2 friends willing to spend a day driving and sitting in a government office. At least I don't have to go, but still, kind of annoying.

#10 ·

Breastfeeding is going alright, baby's latch is better. It still hurts when he first gets on but doesn't hurt the whole time anymore. Our current problem is when I'm really full he can't get on. He gets on and off until my milk lets down then he slides right off. By the time we get latched we are both sticky and wet and he is full of air bubbles.

How are you feeling?

I'm feeling surprisingly well, bleeding is almost gone (2 weeks pp). I'm just supper paranoid about a infection of some sort.

What is your baby like?

He is a sweet little boy. He does have a hard time getting to sleep. I'm not sure if it's his wild, loud siblings, the air bubbles I can't get out or the fact that he only has a poopy diaper every couple of days, lots of grunting just not much of anything. So far he has been waking a couple times a night to eat with some good 3-4 hour stretches in between, I just wish it didn't take me so long to get him back to sleep.

Who ate their placenta and do you think it helps?

No placenta eating here

The kids (minus baby so far) and I came down with a cold, it started with the runny nose and has now progressed to a cough and a fever (for me at least). Ideally I would hide in my room this weekend taking care of myself and baby while letting DH take care of the other kids. Its not happening and my sick, sleep deprived, hormonal self is not happy about it. I just hope we can recover quickly and the baby won't get sick.

#12 ·
The kids (minus baby so far) and I came down with a cold, it started with the runny nose and has now progressed to a cough and a fever
Ugh, that's what happened to us. Hopefully you are safely past RSV season now, but keep an eye on that! Hoping baby doesn't catch it.

RonnaLeigh - thank you :) Getting BFing established this time was hard work! I am really glad the twins were not my first and second, because I'm sure I wouldn't have succeeded if I didn't already have the experience of nursing my others.

#13 ·
How is breastfeeding going? Good! Had to work through troubles with latching due to engorgement, but it wasn't too bad getting through it. BFing is SO much easier this time than with my first DD, who was tongue-tied.

How are you feeling? Good! I didn't tear and I haven't felt sore at all in my nether regions. I dealt with anxiety and depression during this pregnancy, but luckily, my emotions feel pretty stable PP so far. I will say, however, that having a new baby has made me wistful for DD #1 's babyhood, yet at the same time, I get to re-live her babyhood somewhat through my new baby. I've had a few bouts of tiredness, but to the degree that I remember from last time, although she is only 5 days old.....

What is your baby like? She seems pretty mild-mannered so far.

Who are their placenta and do you think it helps? No, I didn't eat mine.

Any other questions or rants??? Not right now....

#14 ·
Babymonster, I can only imagine breastfeeding twins, especially after a nicu stay. It's awesome that you've pushed through and they're both nursing now.

Hello enormous boobs!! My milk came in in full force today. So far John is still nursing well, even with the severe TT. He's pooping and peeing a ton, so I now he's transfering milk just fine.

I switched to cloth diapers today. I bought one package of organic disposables from the US, but they're awful and the pee and poo just run out the leg hole and on to me. Absolutely useless diapers, ha ha. They say they're for babies 4-10lbs, but there is no way to put one of these on a 4lb baby (Johnny is 8lb)! Anyway, the cloth are bulky on his tiny body, but seem more comfy for sure.

I honestly have no idea how this enormous baby was in my stomach just a few days ago (not that 8lbs is that huge, but he's still big to have been inside my body)! Even my midwife was surprised, as my belly never really got that big. It's no wonder I was so uncomfortable!

Judy, I hope the hemmroids go away quickly. My vericose veins have pretty much gone away, which is lovely!

Lizzy, how are you doing??

Did we have any other first time mamas??

Reactions: Everlong753
#15 ·
@Abraisme, luckily, the pain does seem to be subsiding a bit each day. I know they'll go away eventually. .. but the waiting just sucks ;)

I've been thinking of @justlizzy too and wondering how things are going.

My left boob is still pretty full...and I noticed it stays full/more solid closer to the underside/outside (like near my armpit), so I've been trying some massage/compression of that area to try and make sure it gets drained. Others, milk transfer seems to be going very well! I feel like I'm changing approximately a million poopy/wet diapers per day ;)

I'm easily exhausted, I noticed. But. .. I his even though it *feels like* I had this baby ages ago, it's really only been three days. (Seriously, I had to look at the date and make sure I was right. .. how was she only born three days ago when it feels like she's been here all along?)

#16 ·
overall, good. milk came in Sunday with a vengeance. I had to pump already to relieve the engorgement. He seems to be getting lots to eat though and his poop is now the BF baby poop. I do have a cracked nipple, which hurts like hell but it could be worse.

How are you feeling? Even though his pushing stage rivals my last as far as intensity and pain goes, I only had one tiny split and I can already pee without using the peri bottle. My tailbone is really sore still but I am surprised how fast I seem to be healing. I just have to not push myself!
Emotionally I have had a few moments but they are not overwhelming like before.

What is your baby like? Cedar is seems pretty low key, but prefers to nurse constantly. We've had a few really cool quiet alert moments.

Who are their placenta and do you think it helps? I have mine saved in the freezer just in case. Last time I felt it was almost too much and I got anxiety pretty bad so I'll take it slower this time if I do use it.

Any other questions or rants??? Cedar has a double eye infection and has since birth. I don't really understand what is the reason, my last son did too. I am putting a warm compress on them and breast milk in them. Any other ideas?

#17 ·
Four out of my six have had clogged tear ducts that resulted in goopy eyes for months, but I've never just drealt with eye infections. ..

#19 ·
Warm compresses, compression in a downward/outward motion, and breastmilk eventually cleared up most of them (though my oldest did have minor surgery to open hers after a year of no opening).

#20 ·
2 week check up today. Fay has gained about 7 oz since last week which should be right on track. She still seems so teeny at just under 7 lbs, though! She is my quickest feeder, she just likes to cluster feed in between long naps.

My midwife must have been one that really bounced back quickly, she seemed to think I should be nearly back to normal levels of functioning by now. I thought I was doing pretty great for keeping up with the laundry and a good amount of the daily help and care my other 2 kids need at just 2 weeks pp! But there is no way I am ready for cooking full meals and cleaning floors, etc. Someone tell me I'm not a wimp for still taking things easy...

I did start the gentlest level of my pp recovery exercises yesterday. I think that should help me feel ready to be on my feet more. Plus, things haven't felt like they are quite in their proper place down there and I want to make sure I have good muscle function going on before I take on all my normal activities.

#21 ·
I think you are doing just fine...I always take awhile to get back my full energy. I know the first week I am super tired and weak and can't do much walking etc... or I get so tired. I am not sure how I feel the second week- its been 4.5 years since my last one. I guess we'll see.

I am really really enjoying the energy I have this week without my early mornings and would like to hold out until next week maybe if I can. Today I did a lot of baking and the family loved having a home cooked meal tonight.

I think a June birthday would be nice since we all have our own birthday months almost in a row with just January missing. Zachary is Dec, than my Oldest- Sierra is in Feb, I'm March, hubby is April, Twins in May and now this one would be fun to have in June!

#22 ·
I want to read and write so much more on the board, but it's so hard to find the time...it's great to read everyone else's updates, though!

We're doing pretty good. Langston is 3 weeks old, and I feel like we're starting to find a groove. Most of our issues have been with Atticus, really. Langston is a pretty easy baby, so all our attention has been focused on Atticus no longer being an only child. It's...tricky. I think he's adjusting pretty well, though.

And, the baby's up again. Oops.

#23 ·
Penny, New sibling transitions can be rough, good luck!

My boobs hurt, I think I'm getting mastitis, boo. I'm unfortunately super prone to mastitis, I get it every 6-8 weeks while I'm nursing. It extra sucks when coupled with engorgement.

On the plus side.. Mmmm, fresh newborn smell.

#25 ·
Oh no, Abra! That sounds so miserable! :( I can't even imagine!

So typically my kids have been on the skinny side as babies and slow to gain weight.

Today the midwife did her one week visit (even though she's just six days... the midwife has out of town visits tomorrow)... Bernadette is up almost a full pound to 10lbs 11oz at just six days old ♡

#26 ·
wowzer, Judy! You must have super-milk!

Abra, Ouch! I'm sorry. I didn't get mastitis until my 1st was 11 mos old, and after that, I seem to get it a lot more easily. Does it at least clear up quickly for you?

#28 ·
One interesting observation this time around. .. in previous breastfeeding experiences, I'd have crazy letdowns on both sides every feed (so I had to wear super absorbent nursing pads for like a year at least). And the letdowns were almost painful (super tingly,but in a weird way).

This time around, I haven't leaked once. Nor do I feel the letdowns. I only know they're occurring from listening to Bernadette"s furious suck/swallow pattern after a bit. It's just quite a different experience.

#30 ·
One interesting observation this time around. .. in previous breastfeeding experiences, I'd have crazy letdowns on both sides every feed (so I had to wear super absorbent nursing pads for like a year at least). And the letdowns were almost painful (super tingly,but in a weird way).

This time around, I haven't leaked once. Nor do I feel the letdowns. I only know they're occurring from listening to Bernadette"s furious suck/swallow pattern after a bit. It's just quite a different experience.
With Zachary I bought nursing pads and never used them as I never leaked. He nursed both sides every feeding and 2 hrs pretty much round the clock. I haven't bought pads this time I am not sure what to expect. I didn't buy any pads and wonder if I will need too. With my first daughter she only nursed one side every 3 hrs or so and slept long stretches at night so I leaked a lot more. With the twins I never had enough milk to leak once I started supplementing :(

Guess we will see what happens with this LO!

#29 ·
Thanks guys, it seems to be getting better. My breast is still sore and red, but at least my fever and chills have passed. The worst of it usually lasts for 24 hours and then it takes 2-3 days for all the pain to go away. It's worse at night when he doesn't nurse for 3 hours at a time and I get engorged. He's nursed a lot today, which takes the pressure off.

My baby has a belly button now! It's a little half-outtie curly cue. Two of my other kids have belly buttons like this, but no one else in my family does. Both my dh and I have normal innies. It's one of those random genetic traits that are unexplained.

All my babies have gained weight quickly. I haven't reweighed Johnny yet, but I suspect he's on the same path. He's plumping up nicely.

#31 ·
Judy, I have noticed that my milk has regulated and been more efficient with each pregnancy. I was engorged for every with my first and less and less each time. The letdown feeling might start happening more soon. I'm just starting to feel it at 6 days pp. Although I've known people who never felt letdown and breastfed just fine. All options are possible.

#32 ·
Finally getting back online (pictures in the other thread soon!). We've had a busy first 10 days and my parents and grandfather were in town sunday through this morning, then we have our newborn photo session this evening, but thankfully aside from church that's all we have going on until my in-laws are up here around the 7th or 8th.

- swimmingly! Bernhard has nursed like a champion since i came to from the general anestisia and we joke he's a ferocious nurser. It tool him about four days to get that he had to open wide for a peoper latch and he'd get frustrated when i'd make him relatxh, but we're golden now. Also the LCs at the hospital all said i had the best looking first time mother nipples they had ever seen. No chapping, cracking or bleeding. But i was VERY conscious about liberally applying nipple salve the second i felt things going south.

How are you feeling?
- amazing. I don't mourn the emergency c/s at all, we did what was needed to keep both of us alive and B is just so perfect! I'm completely smitten with him, and i feel like DH and i slipped into parenthood more or less seemlessly.

I did twist wrong in bed either sunday or monday and since the scar tissue/muscle above my incision was agrivated and warm to the touch i had a follow up with the ob yesterday. Thankfully no infection was aoparent to her, but i was prescribed antibiotics with instuctions of what to look for that would prompt taking them just in case.

Also i am SO happy to be off the narcotic that i needed the first few days after discharge. The weaning off headache sucked, but it is so nice to not be in tears if i'm 15 minutes late with the medicaton.

What is your baby like?
- very even tempered. He's also most definatley a smilier already, though he smiles as dh just because and the smiles for me are usually followed with him smacking his lips or demonstrating that he can open really wide. He's also a grump when it's time to leave the bed in the mornings. (Totally convinced dh that us sleeping with the baby is the best situation)

Who ate their placenta and do you think it helps?
- Didn't see mine at all. DH did when they took it out of the OR and wondered how the heck it fit in my womb with a nearly 9# baby.

- nothing so far. We had a bunch of appointments to monitor B's bilirubin levels after leaving the hospital. Thankfully they never got high enough that we had to go back for intense phototherapy, and he's delightfully pink now :) also we impressed the HECK out of the pediatrician at yesterday's appointment because B was already up a full pound from his discharge weight! (6 oz above his birth weight)

Reactions: RonnaLeigh
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.