Mothering Forum banner

Losing hair?

755 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Amanda Reiser 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has already been discussed or asked. I don't get on the boards very often!

Anyone losing their hair? This is my 5th pregnancy and I have never had this issue before. My hair is really thick, long, and curly... I always lose a little when combing after a shower. But today and yesterday while brushing then just putting my hands through my hair I lost a decent size "chunk" (for lack of better word)

Thoughts??!

#2 ·
Are you postpartum? It is common to loss hair as your natural shedding( for some women) stop during pregnancy. A few months after birth the shedding starts again but has to shed the hair that was not shredded during pregnancy. If you are currently pregnant then I don't know and how frustrating, hugs

#3 ·
DDC crashing from July... Maybe have your thyroid tested? Hypothyroidism is a common cause of hair loss and it's not uncommon for the thyroid to go haywire during pregnancy and postpartum (especially postpartum.) It's pretty important to get checked out because it can affect the development of the baby. StoptheThyroidMadness has tons of info about proper testing and diagnosing since the majority of doctors don't have a clue and just go by TSH.

#5 ·
And get a copy of the actual results; don't just let them tell you if everything was "normal" or not, because a lot of labs and doctors are not going off of accurate normal ranges.

#7 ·
I agree, check thyroid levels. In the meantime you can eat a Brazil nut or two each day (for selenium) and a little seaweed (kelp). Kelp for iodine and Brazil nuts for selenium, both support thyroid function.

Also anemia will cause hair loss. Feeling tired, dark under eye circles, and hair loss are a few symptoms. Floradix is gentle if you are anemic.
Just increasing your vitamin C helps some people who are anemic as a result of vitamin C deficiency.

#8 ·
My last pregnancy was 2 years ago and I am still nursing. I do get tired but I have 4 children and we homeschool.. busy, ya know. ;) I guess I will start to look into the things everyone listed to see if I can figure out any other symptoms.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.