Mothering Forum banner

too early to start feeling the baby move?

2K views 44 replies 22 participants last post by  toothfairy2be 
#1 ·
With my daughter, I felt a flutter at 11 weeks - my dr told me it was impossible - but later on when the flutters got more consistent, I was sure thats what that early one was! I've read that with second (3rd, 4th..) pregnancy's, you can feel the baby move sooner. Well yesterday, I was exhausted and laying in bed while my daughter played with my mom, and I swear I felt a flutter! and then again a few minutes later! I am only 8.5 weeks though. I know the baby is moving around like crazy at this point, but they are still only berry sized, think its possible to feel it? I've read random people on the internet say that they can feel their babies that early - but I thought I would check in with you (slightly less random) internet people :)

#2 ·
DDC crashing, I felt my third baby move between 10-11 weeks and it was absolutely him moving. I felt my first move at 16 weeks. I don't recall off the top of my head with the others. 8.5 weeks seem kind of early, but who knows?

#3 ·
I felt DS move at 11 wks. Of course, he turned out to be a crazy ninja baby, and was kicking and moving all the time later on. I questioned what it was at first, as I was told it's impossible to feel a baby so early, but as I felt more and more movements more often, I knew, looking back, that's what it was. I felt DD move at 14 wks. She was a little bit more calm as a baby, though. I had heard you're supposed to feel the second child sooner, so I was a little worried about not feeling her move by 11 wks, like I had with DS, who was my first. It runs out they just had different personalities. I am 12 weeks tomorrow with this one, and haven't felt any movement yet.

#5 ·
Definitely possible. I felt this one at almost 8 weeks. Then nothing for a couple weeks and now at 11 weeks I feel movement (in the same spot as before) almost everyday now. This is my 4th. I felt movement at 17 weeks w/ my 1st, 10 weeks w/ my 2nd and 9 weeks w/ my 3rd. You'll know for sure once you start feeling more movement if it's in the same spot :)

#8 ·
I think I was 12 or 13 weeks when I felt my son, but that was a BIG sensation like a goldfish was flipping around under my skin. There had been lots of similar but smaller tickles before that so I think if you know what it feels like, you notice it earlier. I haven't noticed anything but pulling twinges and gas...

#9 ·
My first two were so long ago, I dont remember when I first felt them move! I keep wondering if the typical "third pregnancy" rules still apply for me since there is such a big age gap. My oldest is 9.5 and my youngest will be 8 next month.

I felt flutters really early on, but it was definitely just things moving around in there, not the baby. So far nothing for the past few weeks. I cant wait to start feeling this baby move tho!!!

#10 ·
I know I felt my fifth baby at eight weeks, but I was very, very thin when i got pregnant, so there was no padding between me and my uterus. I don't expect to feel anything until closer to 11 this time, even though I know it's possible so much earlier.

#17 ·
Two ways, try both and see which one you like more. :)

Start by feeling for your pubic bone with the first four fingers of both hands. Slowly walk your fingers up and out, feeling for a hard-ish crescent shape or ball shape. That's your uterus. Once you've found that, keep following the contour until you find the top. Keep a hand/finger there. Then lay your other hand sideways, index finger at/right under your bellybutton. However many fingers it takes to reach the top of your uterus is fundal height.

The other method starts at the bellybutton and walks your fingers down.

Don't be afriad to push in pretty deep. Don't hurt yourself! But gently feeling around won't likely reveal anything at this point.

Keep in mind fundal height in relation to gestational age isn't considered "accurate" at this point in pregnancy. Most hcp's will start paying heed to fundal height around 16-20 weeks.

Have fun! Let us know how it goes. :)

#19 ·
I'm pretty sure I started feeling this babe moving this week - I'm 13 weeks. I'm a firm believer in believing whatever makes you feel happy and connected, so whether it's likely or not to actually be the baby moving, why not believe that it is if it makes you happy?! :smile:

Reactions: MnMtm
#21 ·
I still keep feeling little flutters in the same place. Last night and tonight (13w3d) they feel more "tiny fish"-like - they are still so subtle it could definitely just be gas or something else...but I'm enjoying the guessing game and trying to figure it out :)

#22 ·
I'm 13 and a half weeks. I thought I felt the baby move the other morning as I was lying in bed - this is my third baby, so I know what it feels like. But it could just have been 'digestion flutters'... or, I could have dreamed it. 'Cause I'm finding it pretty hard to tell whether I'm awake or asleep in the mornings, these days! Pregnancy fatigue combined with super-vivid-but-often-astonishingly-banal pregnancy dreams leads to some weird 'did I actually do that?' moments. :p

#24 ·
I'm 12 weeks 4 days and I'm fairly certain I'm feeling baby too. I keep thinking maybe it's just gas but it's the same area every time. With my son I felt him pretty early too.

My fundus is already right below my belly button. I measured ahead with my son the whole time as well. I have a really short torso though so I'm sure that is why.

#27 ·
Ooooh cool SummerStorm! I'm trying so hard not to be impatient re: movement...especially because I promised myself I'd calm down with the anxiety after we heard the baby's heartbeat...but I'm so curious/excited to see if what I've been feeling IS baby and/or what it feels like if what I've been feeling isn't :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.