tests - Mothering Forums

14Likes

#1 of 46 Old 11-05-2014, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
tests

So, out of curiosity, did you confirm you were pregnant...
A. At the ob
B. Regular store test
C. Dollar store test
D. EBay test
E. I'm preggers or have a strange version of Ebola, who needs a test?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 46 Old 11-06-2014, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I used both a generic brand from the military Exchange and a generic test from Walmart. The first one was a blue dye one and was faint. The second was a pink dye test and was still light but was obviously a positive.
#3 of 46 Old 11-06-2014, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I originally tested with a ClearBlue Easy +/- test, which was pretty dark at 11pm at 14dpo. lol. I confirmed with the OB and bloodwork.

#4 of 46 Old 11-07-2014, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
So far, two $ Tree tests.
#5 of 46 Old 11-07-2014, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
First Response. Very dark midday test confirmed by my boobs. For once, I cannot figure out when I ovulated, lol. I am somewhere between 4 and 6 weeks.

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a homeschooling SAHM to Annabelle 8/02 and Willem 12/08!
#6 of 46 Old 11-07-2014, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I used a pink dye Dollar Tree store test at (I think) 9DPO, and thought there might be something there, but it was so faint as to almost be imperceptible.

I used another Dollar Tree at 10 DPO, and it looked negative. I went out for a run, and an hour later looked at it before pitching it, and there seemed to be a very faint line. So, I tried again, and got a slightly darker line, but it was outside of the time limit. I had to go grocery shopping, (which is, conveniently, next to the Dollar Tree store) so I picked up another couple pink line tests, and then at the grocery store I found 6 blue line tests for $4 (score!) and tried that. Got a slight blue line, but definitely positive.

Today I used both a Dollar Tree pink line and the grocery store blue line. Again, the Dollar Tree test took foreeeeeeeeever to turn positive. Just barely there at the time limit, but got darker over time. The grocery store blue line was a light positive pretty immediately.

Ok, yeah, I'm a little obsessed about testing I don't have any medical appointments until I am 10 weeks, so basically this is the only confirmation of pregnancy until I get overwhelmingly nauseous in a few weeks.

Mama to DD (7), DS (4), DD (2) and a new little one expected July 2015!
#7 of 46 Old 11-07-2014, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I only ever use dollar store tests, because I'm too cheap to buy a fancy kind. I took a test at 9 DPO, because that day, I experienced a really strong metallic taste in my mouth, which had been an early pregnancy symptom for at least one of my other pregnancies. That test was negative, but I still thought I might be pregnant, so I tested again at 11 DPO and got a faint positive with my first morning urine. I also tested later that day and got a negative, but I had peed only 90 minutes or so before that, so my urine wasn't very concentrated. I got another faint positive this morning, 12 DPO, with my first morning urine. Like Mama Chickadee said, the Dollar Tree pink line test (both positive times for me) took a LONG time to show positive! The box said to read it at 2 minutes, but not after 10 minutes. The second line started to show up after 4 minutes, and it was barely noticeable until it got a little darker around 8 or 9 minutes.

Anyway, my period would normally come tomorrow. After 2 positive tests, I am not expecting it to show up, but I will definitely feel pregnant "for real" after the next few days come and go without getting it.

If everything goes okay, my little one's due date is July 18! However, all of my other babies came late, with my 3rd pregnancy lasting exactly 42 weeks! So Baby might come closer to the beginning of August.

I am excited. My husband and I have gone back and forth for a long time about having a 4th child, and we finally agreed to start trying a couple of months ago. When Baby is born, my other kids will be 5, 7, and almost 9. It will be strange (and easier in a lot of ways) to have an infant now that the others are more independent. With my second and third babies, I had toddlers to care for alongside the new baby.

Happily married for 11 years. 9 year old son, 7 year old daughter, 5 year old daughter, and baby daughter.
#8 of 46 Old 11-08-2014, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
I'm super nervous about posting anything... I've been lurking for a couple of days, waiting for some mid to late-July mamas to post before I did.

My testing experience has been nearly identical to some of yours. So far, I've only used pink $ Store tests. Tested for the first time on Thursday with afternoon urine and got nada. My nipples were still sore when my toddler nursed so I tested again yesterday (Friday) morning with FMU. I didn't see anything by 10 minutes, so I stuck the test in the cabinet and went about my morning. Not quite an hour later, I was taking out the trash when I went to grab the test to throw it out when, lo and behold, there were two lines. Pretty sure yesterday was 11 DPO.

Tested again this morning (Sat.) which is likely to be 12 DPO and I timed that sucker and watched it like a hawk. Around 4 minutes, I thought I saw something reeeeaally faint beginning to show up but if I moved my head, it disappeared. By 8-10 minutes there was definitely a good, solid line where as yesterday there was nothing at 10 minutes and when it did finally show up, it was definitely pink, but a little sketchy around the edges of the line.

In the past, I've had lines that show up at the same time as the control line and they're really, really dark but that's usually after I've missed my period and my period isn't even due until Monday-Tuesday, so trying to chill out.

According to my LMP, I should be due around 7/21, if all goes well.

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to Girl 2/00, Girl 1/03, Boy 3/06, Boy 11/10, and Girl! 7/15!
#9 of 46 Old 11-08-2014, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Expensive pharmacy early predictor test.
#10 of 46 Old 11-08-2014, 07:19 AM

I took the two $Tree tests yesterday, about an hour apart, fmu. I walked away from the first one to nurse Atlas and came back to a very faint positive after the time limit, so I tested again, and it was still there! I picked up an .88 walmart test and a pack of digitals in the afternoon and couldn't resist, lol. The cheap one also came back lightly positive late afternoon. I was up all night feeling queasy and well, pregnant, so I took another cheap one this morning and it was negative! I decided to try a digital even though af isn't due until next Tuesday or Wednesday and BFP!!

So now I'm finally convinced! This is real!
MamaMakingMemories likes this.

Amee + James (1998) = Amethyst (2002), Asheby "Bear" (2006), Abbott (2011), Atlas (2013), Astoria (6 July 2015)
#11 of 46 Old 11-08-2014, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
I always use FRER. I usually never get a positive until a week or so after my period is due- but this time got one 3 days before. This was the first time in 10 years that I had a few normal cycles in a row- four to be exact. In the past I have caught the first pp egg or had a weird cycle (like a warning cycle) and then pregnant. My cycles started out long but quickly settled into 29 days. So maybe that is why? They never had a chance before to really regulate?

wendy- blessed mama of 9
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#12 of 46 Old 11-08-2014, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a faint line just as "positive" as a dark line? Why second guess? Negative tests are absolutely no line and positive ones have at least some sort of visible line, depending on the level of hormone in your urine (how many days past O). But a second line is a second line and definitive right? No such thing as false positives?
#13 of 46 Old 11-08-2014, 11:24 AM

I guess there are evaporation lines and some blue dye tests can trick your eyes. I took so many because it was sooooo light you almost couldn't see it, then I had a stark white one this morning. I think for me I'm in shock and think maybe if I just take one more, I'll believe it, lol.

Amee + James (1998) = Amethyst (2002), Asheby "Bear" (2006), Abbott (2011), Atlas (2013), Astoria (6 July 2015)
#14 of 46 Old 11-08-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serafina33 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a faint line just as "positive" as a dark line? Why second guess? Negative tests are absolutely no line and positive ones have at least some sort of visible line, depending on the level of hormone in your urine (how many days past O). But a second line is a second line and definitive right? No such thing as false positives?
I don't doubt that I'm pregnant based on my test results, but I had a chemical pregnancy in January and the line just never darkened up nicely and took forever to show up, even after my period was late. Since it's still early, I'm going to test tomorrow FMU and hopefully it will darken up quicker than yesterday's. If I had any will-power, I'd wait until the day my period is due or the day after but I don't.

Mama
#15 of 46 Old 11-09-2014, 04:21 AM

Are any of the late-July DDCers still testing? What do they look like? I swore I wasn't going to let myself obsess but I've POAS every morning since my first + on Friday. My period is due Mon/Tues so by Tues/Wed, I should get a dark line right off the bat.

This morning's line isn't really darker than the other two, but it did show up earlier, but still in the later end of the 10 minute timing window. Why do the $ Store tests take so long to show up?

I'm estimating that today is 13DPO.

Mama
#16 of 46 Old 11-09-2014, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I took 2 cheap tests yesterday morning. Both came up positive right away but I didn't trust them because they expired in May! I also just didn't think it would happen this fast for us this time. I thought it would take a few months. Picked up a new more expensive test in the afternoon and it came back positive right away again so I guess it's true!
#17 of 46 Old 11-09-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerina85 View Post
I took 2 cheap tests yesterday morning. Both came up positive right away but I didn't trust them because they expired in May! I also just didn't think it would happen this fast for us this time. I thought it would take a few months. Picked up a new more expensive test in the afternoon and it came back positive right away again so I guess it's true!
IS AF late yet?

Mama
#18 of 46 Old 11-09-2014, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I took two eBay tests at 11 dpo. They took forever to show up and were so faint I thought I was seeing an evap line. I bought an EPT the same day and that one was faintly positive but still took a couple minutes to show up. I tested the next day with FMU and got a definite positive. I tested so much because I was so so shocked! I love testing and usually just use the dollar tree tests.
#19 of 46 Old 11-09-2014, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Well my cycle isn't perfectly regular so I probably wouldn't have tested for at least a few more days but I was suspicious because my boobs were sore and that only happens in pregnancy for me
#20 of 46 Old 11-09-2014, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
C- I ordered them in bulk while we were TTC my second, so they came in handy this time around, as well. I have three more that I plan on using over the next few days/weeks and also bought a digital today. I don't think it will really feel "real" until Wednesday, when I'll be 4 weeks and officially missed my period. Although, I certainly feel it already. My extreme sense of smell is what tipped me to test as early as I did; I usually wait until I know it'll be positive.
#21 of 46 Old 11-09-2014, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I used the First Response test at 10dpo and got a bold positive. Literally the confirmation line appeared before the control line! I was stunned as I didn't expect to be pregnant and took the test more on a whim than actually believing I was pregnant. Three days after my first positive I took a ClearBlue Pregnancy Test with weeks estimator and of course it was positive with an estimation of "3+ weeks." I thought it was an error but took the other test in the box later that day and got the same result, so I went to my local "AnyLabTestNow" and got a quantitative HCG blood test done. The test was completed at 4wks 3 days and came back with a 6417mIU/mL. WHOA?!?! I was absolutely certain on my dates ( track my cycles like a hawk.) I went back a week later (at 5wks 3days pregnant) for another HCG test and my numbers were over 24,000mIU/mL. Soooo, I'm waiting for my first sonogram (scheduled for tomorrow!!!) to see if we have one really healthy little bun in the oven or if there are two? I'm thrilled either way!

Sooo to answer your question: I used "B. Regular store test" and two blood tests.

"The most precious jewels you'll ever have around your neck are the arms of your children."
#22 of 46 Old 11-10-2014, 03:55 AM

Feeling a little better this morning after testing again with FMU. Line started to appear immediately and while not as dark as the control at 10 minutes, it's pretty dark. At least I know my HCG is rising.

I can't get over the possibility of a chemical or progesterone being too low. I think I need to find the power of prayer.
fayebond likes this.

Mama
#23 of 46 Old 11-10-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

I took a dollar tree test and several eBay tests. The dollar tree was positive but the eBay one yt?was not. I'm trying the eBay ones again, and another eBay one (different batch) today, hopefully it's right. Or I get af, either way. I just wanna know!
#24 of 46 Old 11-10-2014, 09:30 AM

This is really funny (and informative!) in regards to which pregnancy tests work the best.

Mama
#25 of 46 Old 11-10-2014, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
This is really funny (and informative!) in regards to which pregnancy tests work the best.
That is so awesome! (and totally fun!) Thanks for sharing.

wendy- blessed mama of 9

#26 of 46 Old 11-10-2014, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
So I have taken a total of 6 dollar store tests now. The ones I took with my first morning urine have all shown a faint positive, but it has taken, like, 4 or 5 minutes to show up each time. With the ones I took at a random time of day without first morning urine, the second line never showed up. I'm at 15 DPO now.

I actually went to Target today to look at prices on other pregnancy tests, because I want to see a nice, dark line, darn it! But the cheapest they had (the Target brand one) was $7.99! The name-brand ones were like $14! Sheesh!

Since I have had three positive (but faint) dollar store tests, and my period never showed up, I am pretty sure I really am pregnant, but I wish I could test with another (not expensive) brand. Someone (I don't know if it was in this thread or another on here) mentioned $.88 Wal-Mart tests. I might have to go pick up one of those, just to see if it gives me a clearer result than the dollar store tests.

Happily married for 11 years. 9 year old son, 7 year old daughter, 5 year old daughter, and baby daughter.

Last edited by MamaMakingMemories; 11-10-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: spelling
#27 of 46 Old 11-10-2014, 06:49 PM

I took another this morning, lol! Just seeing that line darken during those first few days is so comforting. I used a walmart cheapie and it was still pretty Light. But I got the "pregnant" on the Clear Blue Easy on Saturday, and I already have ms, so I guess I should stop worrying.
MamaMakingMemories likes this.

#28 of 46 Old 11-10-2014, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Welp, the eBay tests were right, dollar tree second round said no, after af arrived, as did eBay second batch. EBay for the (albeit disappointed) win. See you ladies around.
#29 of 46 Old 11-11-2014, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayebond View Post
Welp, the eBay tests were right, dollar tree second round said no, after af arrived, as did eBay second batch. EBay for the (albeit disappointed) win. See you ladies around.
I'm sorry, mama. I wonder if it was a chemical? Those dollar store tests are slow to show, but very sensitive.

Mama
#30 of 46 Old 11-11-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMakingMemories View Post
So I have taken a total of 6 dollar store tests now. The ones I took with my first morning urine have all shown a faint positive, but it has taken, like, 4 or 5 minutes to show up each time. With the ones I took at a random time of day without first morning urine, the second line never showed up. I'm at 15 DPO now.

I actually went to Target today to look at prices on other pregnancy tests, because I want to see a nice, dark line, darn it! But the cheapest they had (the Target brand one) was $7.99! The name-brand ones were like $14! Sheesh!

Since I have had three positive (but faint) dollar store tests, and my period never showed up, I am pretty sure I really am pregnant, but I wish I could test with another (not expensive) brand. Someone (I don't know if it was in this thread or another on here) mentioned $.88 Wal-Mart tests. I might have to go pick up one of those, just to see if it gives me a clearer result than the dollar store tests.
How did the dollar store tests look after an hour? They take *forever* to show up, but I think they're really sensitive (after the time limit...) Did you read the funny link I posted above? Might save you some money on worthless tests...and give you a good laugh.

Mama

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page