Any crafty mamas? - Mothering Forums

8Likes

#1 of 48 Old 11-20-2014, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Any crafty mamas?

I have always generally been the crafty/DIY type but I learned how to knit since my first pregnancy and am SO excited to knit for this little bean! I have already started on a couple projects (a sleep sack and a little teeny newborn blanket) and have plans to knit a hat/bootie set and a couple diaper covers as well. I don't have a ton of time to knit at home but I always bring my projects with me to births since I can still be in the same room as the birthing mama but also give her space and focus on my craft!

I'm also planning to sew a couple of things (haven't decided yet!) and make a DIY painted sidecarred crib (our Cal king bed always has 2-5 people in it, haha).

Would love people to share their ideas, links for patterns/instructions, and their finished stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to four wonderful people: dd11, dd8, ds5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and brand new dd 07/23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 11-20-2014, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
I can knit and purl rows, but that's it. I keep trying to learn and even took a class with my sister once (who also can't knit) and just never took it and ran with it. My kids can knit and crochet... We usually needle/wet felt holiday ornaments and look forward to that.

Really, I'm crafty in a botanical kind of way. I'm a huge indoor/outdoor gardening fan and love to create nature scenes in the house and outside I love mixing ornamentals with edibles.

Mama
to Girl 2/00, Girl 1/03, Boy 3/06, Boy 11/10, and Girl! 7/15!
#3 of 48 Old 11-20-2014, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
I knit and sew. I love knitting baby things esp wool pants and sweaters... I imagine I will be knitting a bunch of NB soakers and sewing little dresses or rompers. I have 6 boys and two girls. Five of those boys were in a row, and my youngest (19m) is a girl. This baby feels like another girl. I really don't care but I think it would be sweet to give Zia a little sister. She is so into babies and dolls right now. It's awesome.

I hope this thread gets filled with links and photos of projects.

#4 of 48 Old 11-20-2014, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I dye, spin and knit. Basically I like to take things from a pile of fluff to a finished piece I haven't really done much looking into patterns yet because, well, having a baby in July in Southeast Texas means I can't reasonably put this little one in anything warm until at least 3 months old when it moves from "holy frack it's hot" to somewhat comfortable weather. I'm actually really irritated at the timing partly because of the lack of newborn clothing opportunities, lol. (And also because I'm going to be 9 months pregnant in Houston in July. Ew.) I might try to find a pattern for a cute lightweight cotton jumper or something, but we aren't finding out the sex ahead of time so I have a feeling most of my baby knitting will have to wait until after the baby's born. I wonder if you can nurse and knit...?

Mom to angels still hoping for a living child.
6/07 
5/13 
9/13

Forever missing our sweet boy Rowan
born still 2/4/15 due to pPROM. "I carried you every second of your life and I will love you every second of my life."
#5 of 48 Old 11-20-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdahekawi View Post
I dye, spin and knit. Basically I like to take things from a pile of fluff to a finished piece I haven't really done much looking into patterns yet because, well, having a baby in July in Southeast Texas means I can't reasonably put this little one in anything warm until at least 3 months old when it moves from "holy frack it's hot" to somewhat comfortable weather. I'm actually really irritated at the timing partly because of the lack of newborn clothing opportunities, lol. (And also because I'm going to be 9 months pregnant in Houston in July. Ew.) I might try to find a pattern for a cute lightweight cotton jumper or something, but we aren't finding out the sex ahead of time so I have a feeling most of my baby knitting will have to wait until after the baby's born. I wonder if you can nurse and knit...?
I have nursed and knit, esp until they get interested in the yarn. Lol My daughter had and still has a knack for getting her toes tangled up.
#6 of 48 Old 11-20-2014, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalw View Post
I have nursed and knit, esp until they get interested in the yarn. Lol My daughter had and still has a knack for getting her toes tangled up.
I've had a lot of practice keeping the knitting away from Captain Furpants I pretty much knit from a ziplock anymore, lol.

Mom to angels still hoping for a living child.
6/07 
5/13 
9/13

Forever missing our sweet boy Rowan
born still 2/4/15 due to pPROM. "I carried you every second of your life and I will love you every second of my life."
#7 of 48 Old 11-20-2014, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow! Everyone is so talented!

Right now I'm still working to finish this blanket I started when I was pregnant with my dd2 2.5 years ago, lol. But now that she's not in arms all the time, I'm making some good progress.

http://www.purlbee.com/2012/08/18/ne...-baby-blanket/

Once I finish I'm thinking of making some hats/baby sandals or another blanket. This is my first summer babe so I'm going to look into some season appropriate things.
#8 of 48 Old 11-20-2014, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillmoro View Post
Wow! Everyone is so talented!

Right now I'm still working to finish this blanket I started when I was pregnant with my dd2 2.5 years ago, lol. But now that she's not in arms all the time, I'm making some good progress.

http://www.purlbee.com/2012/08/18/ne...-baby-blanket/

Once I finish I'm thinking of making some hats/baby sandals or another blanket. This is my first summer babe so I'm going to look into some season appropriate things.
Oh my goodness that's the one I'm making! But I am using a rainbow pattern rather than the sand/sky theme they have. @Metasequoia , this is perfect for you since it's all only knit stitch!

and brand new dd 07/23
#9 of 48 Old 11-21-2014, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I started knitting when my first was born and love making dresses and sweaters. Planned to start sewing this winter and now real excited to make some nb things. We also did a lot of leather work and jewlery which is hard with little ones around.
#10 of 48 Old 11-21-2014, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful_maia View Post
Oh my goodness that's the one I'm making! But I am using a rainbow pattern rather than the sand/sky theme they have. @Metasequoia , this is perfect for you since it's all only knit stitch!
I think I could make that!

Mama
#11 of 48 Old 11-21-2014, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
I'm crafty in my dreams :/
I have so many fun ideas, but can't deal with the mess of any of it. So I stick to reading, my big hobby. I plan to learn all the crafty stuff one day when I have more time.
I do dabble in photography.

Amee + James (1998) = Amethyst (2002), Asheby "Bear" (2006), Abbott (2011), Atlas (2013), Astoria (6 July 2015)
#12 of 48 Old 11-21-2014, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I love needle felting and I just learned to crochet about a month ago. I'm really enjoying it and have made a few things already. I'm planning to make slippers for all of my family's Christmas presents this year
#13 of 48 Old 11-21-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm crafty in a decor sort of way. My husband and I are going to build a cosleeper to attach to our bed. My mom is an excellent seamstress so I'm lining up plenty of projects for her. Ktan, nursing scarf, bedding, swaddlers, etc.
#14 of 48 Old 11-22-2014, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
I sew, using adult thrift store items for the material, to re-purpose/upcycle into baby or kid or me things.
Lately I've just been cutting up leather coats into diaper bags.
#15 of 48 Old 11-22-2014, 03:54 PM

Ohhh... I would love to see what you have created!
#16 of 48 Old 11-23-2014, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serafina33 View Post
I sew, using adult thrift store items for the material, to re-purpose/upcycle into baby or kid or me things.
Lately I've just been cutting up leather coats into diaper bags.
The kids and I went on a HUGE kick about 5 years ago where we bought tons of wool sweaters from the thrift store and felted them down and made all kinds of things with them; it's such a kid-friendly craft!

DH loves working with leather and he will snatch up good finds at thrift stores. Last year for Christmas he made the boys a couple of maple shields (and swords) and drilled holes around the edges of the shields and blanket-stitched leather over the front with leather cord. They're incredible.

Mama
#17 of 48 Old 01-12-2015, 04:23 AM

Remember this thread?

I'm curious what your sewing areas/rooms look like. We have a Bernina that we LOVE and a huge rotary cutting mat but no official sewing space. We have a good-sized, open basement that we've talked about making into so many different types of spaces, but a sewing area would be really nice. I just wish we had a couple more bedrooms (one for kids) and one as a crafting studio. All of our fabric, wool, felt, looms, thread, etc., is spread out all over the house in various closets and shelves.

I love Soule Mama's bright and organized space (who doesn't, right?)

Mama
#18 of 48 Old 01-12-2015, 07:34 AM

I have a sewing room slash guest room downstairs but it's being renovated so....dining table it is!
#19 of 48 Old 01-12-2015, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

@Metasequoia , who doesn't is right!! It's pretty dreamy. When we moved into this house, we had a dedicated office/craft room but now it's sort of 1/2 playroom, 1/2 craft room. It's fairly organized, I have all of our fabric craft stuff in one of those IKEA square organizers in baskets and we have a long white table that's perfect for sewing but I put my machine away when not in use so it can be used for other crafts as well. I will try to get a pic sometime soon!

I have put down my knitting for way too long! I was making great progress on my baby blanket with plans for other stuff but got so distracted over the holidays. I would say I'm 2/3 done and it will be so awesome to have a homemade baby item to stare at and pet once I'm done.
eternalw likes this.

and brand new dd 07/23
#20 of 48 Old 01-12-2015, 06:30 PM

Yeah. I have a table in my daughter's bedroom. She is off at college but comes home quite a bit to visit. We outgrew our house a few babies ago- in the market now but not having much luck. My 20m old naps in there during the day so it kind of isn't ideal because if I want to sew I either have her "helping" me or my stuff is in there. I have bins of fabric in my older son's closet, knitting stuff in many places. I am NOT organized. lol

wendy- blessed mama of 9

#21 of 48 Old 01-27-2015, 06:10 AM

Has anyone made felted dryer balls out of felted wool scraps rather than yarn? I have loads of felted wool strips leftover from cutting up felted sweaters and rather than toss them, I thought about making dryer balls out of them. I figure I'd probably have to needle felt them into a ball shape first, then wet felt into a smooth ball.

What do you think?

Mama
#22 of 48 Old 01-27-2015, 06:48 AM

Apparently you can. That's a funny sort of post with stuff like this:

Quote:
Then you just roll the leg down, put your first ball in, and then tight a knot tightly – securing it in well. It’s never pretty when your balls fall out of your pantyhose.

I don't have any pantyhose - dangit! I guess I'll have to make another stop at the thrift store...

Mama
#23 of 48 Old 02-05-2015, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
I started knitting this blanket today - only I'm using green yarn.

I'm starting to think a blanket with size 7 needles is a terrible idea - this is going to take forever!
#24 of 48 Old 02-05-2015, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
I do crochet when I have time. I have made three wool diaper covers so far, not sure how they'll fit though. Ana was so small, but who knows with this one, esp if it is a boy. I have SO many blankets, I don't think I will make another for this one. I need to do a lot of mending and finishing sewing projects. I just hate to drag the machine out and put it back every time I turn around and I'm about out of hand sewing projects.
@catladymeow , I like that pattern, but yes, looks like it would take forever with a 7! I have only done a little knitting, it would take me, um, probably really would be forever.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim.

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08
, Ana born at home 11/12, Nathaniel born at home in the water 07/15

#25 of 48 Old 02-05-2015, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Super lovely @catladymeow ! I am still working on the blanket I posted waaaaaaaay at the beginning of this thread, I don't think I have picked it up since Christmas.

and brand new dd 07/23
#26 of 48 Old 02-06-2015, 11:43 AM

I haven't made anything for new baby yet!
Toddler got cashmere pants and hat with heart appliqué on each, today, from one of my sweaters I cut up :

Also I cut up a pink sweater for a dress and hat combo, but you can't see the hat that well in this picture either :
#27 of 48 Old 02-08-2015, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Adorable!

Frequent Auto Correct Victim.

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08
, Ana born at home 11/12, Nathaniel born at home in the water 07/15

#28 of 48 Old 02-09-2015, 10:15 AM

Thanks!
#29 of 48 Old 04-17-2015, 04:46 AM

I could totally get into these rope baskets!!

http://www.creativebug.com/workshops...ed-rope-basket

Has anyone ever made one? Think of the contrasting thread possibilities! Or even dyeing the cotton rope first!

And you can make bags!

http://shop.dougjohnston.net/products

I love baskets......

Mama
#30 of 48 Old 04-17-2015, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have knitted in the past...I like it, it's relaxing. I just don't do much outside of scarves, lol. My mom is a big knitter. My mom's knitting club contains ladies that I have gained as friends, and in some cases, former patients. My MIL is a big crocheter. My DHs aunts are a quilter and cross stitcher. His deceased grandmother's friend is a knitter...

needless to say, we have SO MANY blankets, sweaters, hats, toys, framed art, booties..

So blessed! but no. not crafting anything myself.

I need to get back to my scrapbooks!! I have 3 years living in Europe to document, not to mention CJs first year!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page