Mothering Forum banner

First Appointments

960 views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  BirthGeek 
#1 ·
I just called and am going in on Thursday! Whoa! My midwife and I are close friends and I usually don't go quite this soon (9 weeks today) but she will be out of town next week. We are both so excited to get together that we are just going for it. I know it's pretty early to hear the heartbeat but it would be awesome if we could. So excited!

Anyone else scheduled yet?

#16 ·
I did it. I scheduled an appointment for next Wednesday, the 10th at 2pm. Gulp. My estimates say I should be 8+1 - which is exactly when I saw my now 4-yr-old's beating heart for the first time. Instant nervousness! It's going to be a long week...

Thinking of you today, mama! :goodvibes

Have the official first appointment with drawing blood and checking weight, etc. With an ultrasound to check for a heartbeat on 12/1.

I'm counting down the days. Once I hopefully see a heartbeat I'll be able to relax.
I hope everything went well, mama! :fingersx

#4 ·
I have an ultrasound 12/6 at 8 weeks to hear the heartbeat, I had one @ 5 weeks and saw the sac, I had thought I was further along so she wants another to make sure I was just wrong about dates and it's growing properly. My midwife said we'd schedule the first "real" appointment for after the u/s for 9 to 10 weeks. (I had a brief appt with her right after finding out I was pregnant but it was basically just a blood draw to check my progesterone due to previous early losses, was in fact low so she got me on progesterone supps right away.)

#5 ·
I had an appointment at 5 +4 to confirm my pregnancy. Saw a gestational sac and yolk sac.
Have the official first appointment with drawing blood and checking weight, etc. With an ultrasound to check for a heartbeat on 12/1.

I'm counting down the days. Once I hopefully see a heartbeat I'll be able to relax.

#6 ·
I'm too scared to schedule an appointment. Like I'll jinx things if I do.

I went in the day before my period was due for a blood draw to check HCG and progesterone. My progesterone was 30 (woot!) and my HCG more than doubled in 48 hours, so that was good news. I wish I could keep having HCG run every two days... I haven't had any other labs done since that initial check. I know I'll feel a thousand times better when A) I start vomiting and B) I see a heartbeat. I had an early dating scan with all of my babies; it took maybe 30 seconds for each scan and the relief it brought me was wonderful. I've usually gone in around 7.5-8 weeks for those. I'm 6+1 today, so I figure late next week or the week after. I had the appointment scheduled for one of my losses last year and having to cancel it was excruciating and I don't want to go through that again. Just thinking about waiting for the image to appear on the screen makes me a ball of nerves!

#8 ·
I'm too scared to schedule an appointment. Like I'll jinx things if I do.

I went in the day before my period was due for a blood draw to check HCG and progesterone. My progesterone was 30 (woot!) and my HCG more than doubled in 48 hours, so that was good news. I wish I could keep having HCG run every two days... I haven't had any other labs done since that initial check. I know I'll feel a thousand times better when A) I start vomiting and B) I see a heartbeat. I had an early dating scan with all of my babies; it took maybe 30 seconds for each scan and the relief it brought me was wonderful. I've usually gone in around 7.5-8 weeks for those. I'm 6+1 today, so I figure late next week or the week after. I had the appointment scheduled for one of my losses last year and having to cancel it was excruciating and I don't want to go through that again. Just thinking about waiting for the image to appear on the screen makes me a ball of nerves!
This is my first pregnancy without a dating scan. I actually had a few periods before getting pregnant so i am really sure of my dates. It's weird but I am definitely glad not to live that moment of waiting to see the flicker on the screen.. it's so hard.

#14 ·
I am seeing my own clinic for prenatal care, and we schedule our first appointments at 10 wks so that's when I'll be in (late Dec/early Jan). We can order blood work or u/s earlier if needed but no in-person appointments until then. It feels like forever!

#22 ·
I'm happy for all of you who have had good appointments so far! I just had my first appointment on Monday at 7+4 and it was so amazing to see that tiny beating heart and little spine forming. DH came with me and loved getting to be a part of it--it feels more real for him now. The ultrasound said I was only 7+3, but because I chart, I know my ovulation day and was told there was a +/- 4 day error range, so I still think I'm right. I hope the rest of you ladies have great first appointments, and 10 weeks does seem like a long time to have to wait!

#23 ·
I have my ultrasound tomorrow morning. (Ultrasound only, midwife will schedule my first "real" appointment with labs etc. for 9 or 10 weeks if everything looks good.) Really nervous, this is the first time in four pregnancies that I've made it to 8 weeks. Hoping to see a little bean and a heartbeat!

#26 ·
I'll be going monday and be 9+4 at that point. First ultrasound should be scheduled next week too. I'm not feeling any particular way about it, I have no experiences with losses so I'm blithely assuming it won't happen. I'm also nervous about having a 21 month old and a newborn, I've BTDT and it was so hard a decade ago and I don't know why it won't be again.

#27 · (Edited)
Had my ultrasound this morning, saw our little peanut with a strong heartbeat!!! :heartbeat I'm on my phone right now and it won't let me but I'll have to edit later to add various bouncy happy emoticons :)

ETA: :joy :jumpers :banana :carrot :broc

#28 ·
Had my ultrasound this morning, saw our little peanut with a strong heartbeat!!! I'm on my phone right now and it won't let me but I'll have to edit later to add various bouncy happy emoticons :)
YAY!!!! You must be over the moon (after your previous losses especially)! So glad your baby has a perfect beating heart. :love

#30 ·
Thanks ladies! :) DH and I are thrilled and, although it's still early, very hopeful we'll get to meet this little one! Everything looked good so far. :)

#32 ·
I'll be 10 weeks on Monday but I probably won't see my midwife until 14 or 16 weeks. At this point, I'm comfortable that I'm healthy. I'll need to add liquid iron at some point soon, as I always get anemic. Waiting this long also puts me past the point of worrying about setting things up with a midwife just to have another miscarriage. Last pregnancy, I had set up an appointment for 12 weeks ( midwife had suggested later, but I went with sooner), just to have a miscarriage at 9 weeks. So, technically this coming week is the 'magical week', especially since my first miscarriage was followed by a perfectly normal pregnancy. But I'm still nervous. I know that me going in isn't going to change whether I have a miscarriage or not... So that's why I'm comfortable without an appointment at this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.