Mothering Forum banner

Questions to ask at first appointment

514 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  mostlysunny 
#1 ·
I have my first midwife appointment this coming Wednesday. She is a certified nurse midwife and I will be delivering with her in the local hospital. I would have been open to homebirth,but DH doesn't feel comfortable with it, so this is our compromise. I very much want a drug free, low intervention birth. I also want to labor in the water. What questions do you suggest I ask to make sure she is the right care provider that will fully support my wishes? Thanks for helping out this first time momma.

#3 ·
Do you have any thoughts on what you'd write in your birth plan? Especially for a hospital birth, I'd have a detailed plan written up ahead of time to go over with my CNM/OB to make sure we're on the same page.

If it were me, I'd ask about:

Being able to move around during labor
Not using continual fetal monitoring during labor (occasional doppler checks I'd allow)
Not wanting any interventions to speed labor up (pitocin, artificial rupturing of membranes)
No episiotomy (I'd ask what her thoughts are on episiotomies or even how often she performs them)
If she's okay with positions other than laying on back for delivery
Not being forced to push when I didn't feel the urge
Not clamping/cutting the cord immediately after birth
Being able to keep the placenta, if I wanted it (don't wait until labor to request this)
Skin to skin contact immediately and not interrupted except for newborn exam (IN ROOM)
Breastmilk only - no sugar water/formula
Baby not to leave room and if it does, DH allowed to stay with it constantly
No vaxes
No vitamin K (or option for oral if you feel strongly about it)
No eye drops
LC on staff? For 1st baby, I'd want an LC available (or I'd find a private one before birth just to be prepared for nursing trouble)

Those would be my biggies. If I think of any more, I'll come back.

#4 ·
Great suggestions @Metasequoia! @Ble530, at the first couple of appointments you really want to try to get a sense of your midwife's style and personality and whether it meshes with yours. Some specific questions will naturally come up as your care goes on. Establishing a birth plan early is super important, especially for a hospital birth. If nothing else it shows that you are informed and empowered in your decision-making!

#6 ·
I had two and I loved them. Then I had a hospital birth with a (male) OB and it was awful. Last birth was a homebirth.

Even my first birth at barely 23 years old was with a midwife in a hospital and it was completely natural. I was clueless and fortunate to have a fast and easy labor.

#10 ·
I would highly recommend a doula for a hospital setting. Someone to support you through the physical and emotional aspects of labor and advocate for you when you are too tired, exhausted or in pain, or haven't slept in 3 days straight. Someone who will be your real birth partner. No matter how much you think your DH is amazing and will be there for you, nothing like having a female who knows what she is doing and will literally work for you on every level. Interview a few to make a great connection!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.