Mothering Forum banner

Weekly Chat ~ 5/24-5/30

2K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  Metasequoia 
#1 ·
How is everyone's holiday weekend going? BBQs? Pool? Picnics? Laying on the couch? :lol

I plan on going to the open house this morning at the place I go to for acupuncture for some discount community acupuncture and free chair massage! Woot! Then I think the only plan for the day is to spend some time at the pool again. I wore a sports bra and work out short-shorts yesterday because I can't even see what's going on in the bikini area and I thought I'd spare all of my neighbors...:D I guess I could break out the maternity swimsuit, but it's a tankini and no shorts, so doesn't help with the bikini line issue...

No plans yet for grilling but we're spontaneous people over here and will probably throw something together for today and/or tomorrow. I've been craving something with peppers and onions. :yum Maybe we'll make kebabs....

#3 ·
We are heading to a wedding in Cleveland today! Not looking forward to 5 hours in the car but excited for my friends! Tomorrow we are going yo Cuyahoga (sp?) Falls National Park because it is only half an hour from Cleveland and sorta on the way home. I'm excited to see a new park!

#17 ·
I have a great bootleg Dead tape recorded there..:D

@Metasequoia - I hope everything is okay. You post so regularly that when you don't I get to wondering. :)
I'm okay! You're so sweet to miss me! :love

I have to catch up for a minute...

@LittleKind , I love the grill in the summertime! Less dishes and heat in the house! Last night DH cooked chicken on the grill along with zucchini slathered in olive oil and salt and pepper - YUM! The zucchini was by far my favorite dish. :yum We also love to grill ears of corn. Just leave the corn in the husks and grill, rotating every couple of minutes then let cool a bit, remove the husks and put butter, salt and a squeeze of fresh lime. Mmmm, can't wait for corn to come into season!

We're supposed to get rain this week too and boy do we need it! It hasn't rained here in WEEKS! It's so strange to me to have to water the gardens this much in May! And it's back up near the 90s so I'm thinking about the a/c again. I had HORRIBLE sleep last night because of the heat.

@mamamargo , you're so busy! I had a day like that yesterday that just whooped my butt. I second the request for a picture of the finished crib!

@MrsKoehn , I too need to get more plants in the ground. I managed to get in a few tomato plants and zucchini but I have many more yet to plant. I just keep watering, watering, watering already!

@Wild Rose , you have so many exciting things lined up! Your get-together sounds wonderful! Too late into July for me, and maybe you'll have a baby in your arms by then too! What fun that would be!
I wish my mom was a sewer. I'm not so good and your projects sounds like so much fun! I've been looking at rocking chairs on CL here and there but nothing has really called me yet. It would be lovely to have one before baby comes...
I too am feeling the shortness of the remainder of this pregnancy! I was a little sad about it yesterday, thinking I only had 7-ish more weeks left. I even told DH that he better love this belly as there isn't much time left and there probably won't be another pregnant belly on this body.

@rcb215 , I used to drive a 5-speed Mustang and DH went and bought a cheapo manual Firebird one day and I spent HOURS one day trying to teach him how to drive that thing in an abandoned parking lot. He ruined it that day and we ended up leaving it there, dead, and had to hitch a ride home. Ah, the good ole days. :lol I still tease him about it to this day...

I'm sorry about your mom. What you're feeling is absolutely valid. Please don't feel guilty for feeling that way or feel like you're being "bratty" and that you need to grow up. We carry these wounds around with us for life and it isn't easy to release them. I'm sure there's trauma there fro when she left you at 8 years old and every one of these hurtful moves just rips off that scab. Have you ever gone to therapy to talk about it? There are so many different kinds of therapists and I've never been to one, but surely talking with someone could help ease the pain. In the recent reading I've been doing, it even seems that our fascia hold onto and remember the traumas of our lives, both physical and emotional, and can affect us both physically and emotionally. Hugs to you. :hug

@BarefootBrooke , 16 hours!!?? No way, Jose! I'm stressing about our 3 hour trip scheduled for June! Even driving a half hour is sometimes unbearable for me, depending on baby's position of the hour. Sounds like you're having a great time though and stopping every hour or two must make it easier to travel.

SOOO, we just had a busy weekend that kept me occupied. We spent hours at the pool on Saturday and Sunday and I got way too much sun (only on my front half! I need to find a cheapo lounge chair that I can cut some straps out of for my belly to fit through...)
Yesterday (Monday) we left early and drove out to the Amish farms to pick up a bunch of yummy food - 8 gallons of creamy raw milk, 5 lbs of cheese, cottage cheese, lard, and 6 quarts of raw ice cream! :yum I'm in dairy heaven. :lol

So I manged to gain FIVE POUNDS this weekend! :lol How funny is that?? That's what happens when you eat multiple cheeseburgers in a sitting all weekend long - and lots of ice cream. :yum

Then I had to babysit at 7am this morning (UGH) which really stunk because I had the worst night of sleep because it was 80 F in our bedroom all night long (UGH!!) I tossed and turned all night, got up to pee at 2:30am, got up to eat cottage cheese with strawberries at 3:30am and after finally falling into a deep sleep, had to get up at 6:30am from such a wonderfully deep rest.
I took my two charges plus Sebastian to the playground at 9am and stayed until 12pm and it was SO HOT and there was NO SHADE!
It's nice and cool in the basement (where I am now) but the main floor is heating up and the upstairs will be insanely hot in no time. My skin hurts from sweating so much.

Good news: our first CSA pick up is TODAY!! :D I can't wait for some fresh veggies. I feel like we're on the verge of developing scurvy from lack of fresh veggies.

Hey!! The January DDC went up! Did anyone notice?? We didn't "move up" because it went under a new 2016 forum...so I guess we'll stay stationary where we are, despite our approaching due dates! I noticed that a June baby was born over the weekend - wow! 4 weeks early and not a bad size at all! I could deal with that...as long as I'm at home to give birth. :)

I spoke with my friend who had her baby amazingly quick at home. He's only 4 lbs 14 oz and 18", despite only being 9 days early. I wonder if it was a placental issue? She spent a 4 days in the hospital while the doctors tested the baby over and over, trying to figure out why he was so small but came up empty handed. He's nursing well and wetting lots of diapers, so maybe he'll just start packing on the weight now.
Her labor really began at 3pm and he was born on the living room floor at 3:35pm! Fortunately her DH had worked from home that day to catch the baby! Crazy thing was that because of her age, her midwife wanted to do weekly baby monitoring and she had been at the hospital at 1pm that day, being monitored and at 2:15, she was 2 cm dilated, which is pretty normal for a mom who's had babies before (I'm probably 2cm right now.) Then she drove home, prepared a beef stew and dropped that baby on the floor (not literally. :lol)

I have to go catch up on the other threads now!

#4 ·
@rcb215 we like to stop at new parks on our drives too. It'll feel good for you to stretch out after that drive. @metasequoia that open house sounds great, especially going laTer haha. I am being sooo lazy now that school is out. We don't have memorial day plans. Dh doesn't work Monday anyway and I'm on break so it's just the first of many Mondays this summer that we'll be free. My mom is thinking of getting a grill for me and dh for our birthdays. Well, we live in her duplex so we'd all share it. Anyway she wants to pick one up today and I really want one but also kind of dont. I hate making big purchases. Plus how much will we use it with a new baby? Plus she wants propane and I like charcoal taste better but those are even more time consuming. Also we hardly ever cook meat. We're not vegetarian but we both get grossed out by raw meat so we rarely cook it. Except like pasta sauce and ground beef. So anyway, maybe I'm getting a grill today or maybe not. I fell into a new routine as soon as school ended and now take a pm nap as well as sleeping 10 hours each night. I am just soooo tired. Also my contractions get progressively worse when I'm awake, no matter what I do, but reset after sleeping. So I'm sleeping a lot. I'm proud of myself thay I'm not on pins and needles for her to be born. I'm not anxious at all. Just letting my body gear up for as long as it tskes. We'll see if I'm do balanced and calm if she's still in there by 41 weeks.

#5 ·
No big Memorial Day plans as hubby works all weekend through monday--I'm used to him being gone for most holidays by now, one of the "perks" of him working in the hospital.

Yesterday I went to the gym, then an hour on my feet shopping (why are all big grocery store floors made of cement, by the way?? ouch!), meant I needed some foot elevation rest time once I got home. Then I did some organizing of the baby's things. Today I might try to be more productive in the afternoon and go snag some fabric from the thrift store to finish a few sewing projects that I have lingering....

Hubby is building the baby's crib himself. It is custom made and we bought her organic mattress months ago to put in it once it's finished, and it'll be able to convert to a toddler bed for later on. She'll likely sleep mostly with us at the beginning if bedsharing goes as planned, but we're planning to sidecar the crib and still use it for naps, etc. Anyway, what I thought was going to be a simple crib that would be done by now--which met our specifications of not being treated with any harsh chemicals like so many cribs are and being made of solid wood to avoid all the glues and toxins--has morphed into the Taj Mahal of baby beds. After finishing constructing the frame, my husband bought a dremel (wood carving tool) and decided to carve these ornate leafy vines along all the corner posts and is writing down lists of quotes and sayings that he plans to inscribe into the sides of the crib for her. It is such a labor of love for him and it's really fun to watch. But, I'm trying to have patience because there's tons of other more mundane baby projects that I need his help with (finishing moving furniture in our room, collecting and putting together first aid kit for the baby, gathering our homebirth supplies), but he's so focused on what has become his "fun" project that I'm waiting to ask him for help with other things. *sigh* I almost think that extending the crib build and making it as elaborate as possible has allowed him to stay distracted from the stress of starting med school, moving across the state two months after the baby gets here, trying to find a rental in the new city, etc etc.

I guess I can't blame the guy for wanting a distraction, but I'm just worried that if he procrastinates on all those other things too much that he'll stress himself out more in the end when he has to do them at the last minute! I'm trying not to be controlling and just go with the flow, letting him soak up the fun of his first daddy project. He wants her crib to be an heirloom that she'll keep for when she has her own kids someday, and really appreciate the love and care that went into it.

#6 ·
@mamamargo it sounds like that is going to be one gorgeous crib!

I'm jealous of the holiday weekends but I guess we had ours last weekend so I can't complain too much. :)

It's supposed to be a lovely day here today! I'm going to go wander down and pick up some groceries and then I'm not sure what I will do this afternoon. DH is working today so I'm on my own. There's a nearby park with tennis courts so sometimes it's nice to walk down and grab a lemonade or something from a nearby cafe and go watch people play tennis (I know nothing about tennis...all I know is that there are nice shady benches and it can be entertaining to just sit and people watch).

#7 ·
@LittleKind - Happy Birthday to you, and I know what you mean about the grill. We have one and it pretty much only gets used when we have company. We rarely grill anything on our own. I don't eat meat (or didn't until this pregnancy!) And my husband hates touching raw meat. It is nice to have though, for when it does get used.
@mamamargo - That crib does sound great! Post a photo when it is done. I totally understand about men doing different projects than need to be done. Their order of importance seems to be off quite frequently.

So far, just a lazy inside day planned. Thunderstorms start soon, allegedly. Our radar often is covered with green and blue, but nothing falls.

Tomorrow is the day my mom watches the kids and my husband and I clean, organize and get ready for baby. We'll see how that goes!

#8 ·
@emanresu good idea t o schedule a day for projects. We don't have much ready for baby, but we're not planning to do much. We might regret this later haha. I agree with you on the grill. It'll be nice to have when we use it. We used to use one at our old building to make pizza outdoors in summer so we didn't need to turn on the oven. Thats yummy.

It's supposed to rain every afternoon all week. So weird for colorado and much much needed but I want to wear my summer clothes. I've been waiting to bust out of my work wardrobe into comfy breezy clothing but not yet. Oh well.

I can't refer back to posts on my phone while replying so I can't remember who posted about the crib. Pregnancy brain, sorry. It sounds like it will be sooo beautiful! dh always does projects out of order and he feels the same way about me. Just how it goes with two people with different priorities. What can you do right?

#9 ·
That crib sounds lovely, @mamamargo! Your husband sounds so much like mine in that department. He even routered the shelves he put up in the laundry room. And they'll be behind doors this fall (hopefully). He loves to make things as nice as he can, and I've been surprised how artistic he can be for a big ole farm boy! :wink:

No huge plans this weekend. Hubby's off today so when he gets back over here, we're going to run to town and pick up some stuff that's on sale. I was hoping to already be back by now, but he likes to sleep in, so he did. Then some guy's out here now (next door) looking at buying a couple pieces of old farm equipment Dad's had for sale for a while. When we get back, beside nap time (which will be late, if she doesn't sleep so much in the car that she won't sleep and I get no nap and I get cranky... yes, me. Cranky.), I am going to make a strawberry cake, put together baked beans to just bake tomorrow, and start a big jug of iced tea. Oh, and I need to make more ice too, I guess. For dinner I was going to attempt pupusas for the first time. They seem simple enough and if I get stuck, my mother-in-law makes them all the time and she can advise me.

Tuesday's docket is probably straighten the house and get my next month's menu and grocery list ready. Wednesday is drop off Goodwill donations, shopping, chiropractor and my 32 week appointment. Thursday or Friday will be the last day of school for us, and it'll be an easy day. :thumb I just have to hear their last Bible verses and watch a couple of history and science movies to wrap up. Then we'll have Ana draw the winner of the money jar they've collected for saying their verses and we'll call it done. Well, after a pizza or ice cream party Monday, when hubby's home. :grin:

In between, I have a few flowers and herbs to plant, should start some seeds, need to do some more weeding, I have to get my junk room cleaned out eventually too. I got a box and a half out of there this morning. I went if there for something else and just started filling the boxes up. :smile: That makes me happy, to be honest. I just have nowhere to go with stuff in this house. No attic, basement, garage, or out building for my stuff. Just tiny trailer rooms and closets. It reminds me not to hoard though, I'll tell you that. I have enough of that with my mother and MIL. And my grandmother-in-law is worse. And she's 92 and blind. :serious: I want to and NEED to get some sewing done too. Lots of repairs, plus Ana needs skirts, she's outgrown all but 3 or 4, and at this time of year, she can knock that out in no time. It's just too hot to have her in jumpers with a shirt under it, she's only got one dress that's not a good dress, and it's just not warm enough all day for sun dresses yet.

Oh here he is, I'll chat later. Or another day.....

#10 ·
How sweet @mamamargo! My DH is currently involved in work and sports to keep him sane, not baby projects. he is not the crafty type so I am really not asking that of him. I ought to ask something though- so I need to think on what would be a good project! Your crib will be beautiful. I love heirloom stuff and particularly when it is made today for future generations. Such a nice sentiment.

I suppose I do have a list of things I have not unleashed yet!- clean out the water heater for the water birth, wash the windows, bring the crib upstairs to that I can assemble and we can retrofit it onto the bed... I have to be selective on when I ask though and so am waiting for brighter days to get on that when he is open and available. Not today!

I sent out an email to find dates and I think we are settling on the 18th of July for a small get together of friends at our house. Am I crazy? It seems that I will be so big and ready and happy to have friends come and dote on me. Hopefully I will still feel this way then! Maybe I can get my mom to help clean the house with me in preparation then too!

After working tomorrow, I am headed over to my moms to do some sewing projects- I wish I could sew with confidence! But, she is happy and has all the stuff that makes it easy, all set up, all the time. Lucky me. Hopefully but tomorrow night I will have new upholstery for my rocking chair that sits un-used because it is just wooden slats! Can't wait to be able to use it! We won't get it all done tomorrow but I also have wool pads to cut up and sew and liners to do the same with and wash cloths to cut up and hem. MM, i bought fabric for a skiing but now am thinking that maybe I want a K'tan and could buy it on CL so have not bought the rings yet to complete that project. What to do?! Oh, and we have material for an adorable blanket.
@LittleKind, all this activity is so exiting! I am happy to hear that you are feeling so relaxed and at ease. Sleep is the best! Live it up!

I have been sleeping so much this weekend. After a week of poor sleep and early mornings I have been able to sleep in both Saturday and today. Such a luxury and so needed! It has helped that baby has been in a phase for the past few days of sleeping a ton too. Wiggling still but much more sleep time than the previous few days. Growing growing!

I have my next prenatal this Wednesday too. I'll be 32 weeks- I cannot believe how quickly time is flying- 2 months left! wow. 8 weeks sounds like such a small amount of time. I have not been so regular with appointments the past few months but I think I will see if we can do them on schedule as I am needing the attention! I am healthy and so is baby but emotionally, wow, I realized this week that I need to take advantage of the places and people who are there to give me attention for this pregnancy. Life is too busy and has nothing to do with the sweet beautiful little one growing inside of me, I need that!

Enjoy your day tomorrow @Emanresu! As funny as it seems, a date taking care of house projects can be a great way to spend the day, right! Especially if no one is grumpy!

Happy week to everyone!

#11 · (Edited)
@mamamargo: I have to agree with previous posts! That crib sounds amazing! I totally understand the needing to focus the man friend though. Ha.

We had a nice time at the Cuyahoga this weekend but I am kind of a swollen mess from it. Too much time in the car I think. And Asa is terrible at finding the gears in my Subi. It's pretty ghetto and they are hard to find but after listening to him almost blow up my transmission 3 times I had to just drive. So, I ended up driving the whole way there and back. :( The Airbnb was stayed at was super nice but I find it doesn't really matter what bed I am sleeping in, if it isn't mine, I sleep like crap. Maybe because I have one of those Snoogle pillows?

Last night we picked up the dogs from our friends who were watching them and my girlfriend who is due 12 days after me had two big bins of goodies from her mom. Just some things she had picked up at yard sales and such. It makes me SO SAD that my mom seems to not care. She doesn't even send a text. I need some tips on how to cope with this. Seriously. I just keep crying about it. I feel like the biggest brat. Like a little lady child brat. My mom moved back to PA after being out west on a Navajo reservation as a labor and delivery nurse for about 6 months. Before coming back she rekindled this relationship with a guy she graduated with. Who has 4 kids! 4! Ages 7, 9, 11 and 12. So she's pretty wrapped up with them. Keep in mind my dad raised me because my mom left when I was 8. I guess I should expect all of this. I can't stop crying though! I need some kind of coping mechanism. Please tell me you have a suggestion. An herbal remedy or something? It's like, I just think about it and it makes me bawl. I am super hormonal I think. Well, I know. Maybe I am just needing to complain. Some say I should tell my mom how I feel. I am not sure. She helped me out financially a lot paying for my home birth so I think maybe that is just what she has to offer me at this point in her life. Blah. God. I am such a mess. :crying:

Also, I should mention, their mom died of cancer. So yeah, if you thought I wasn't being bratty, that pretty much seals the deal. They need a mother figure. I just wish them having my mom around didn't mean that I didn't get to have her at all. Time to grow up I guess.

#12 ·
I have no patience for my kids. Pregnancy really messes up my hormones. It's frustrating for us all.
@rcb215 - I think you have every right to be sad and frustrated with your mom and that whole situation. Pregnancy and motherhood definitely bring on the tears over all sorts of things. Especially the big stuff! Is taking to your mom about how you feel an option?

#13 ·
@Emanresu: I could talk to her but I feel like she would then make a grand effort because she is worried about saving face. I guess I just want her to be interested in how I am doing. I don't want to force her in to caring. Which is why I feel like I just need to learn to cope with it. I want her to want a genuine emotional connection with her own children and she just doesn't have that desire. It is what it is. Thanks for making me feel validated in being upset though.

#14 ·
Rcb, I'm sorry you're having to deal with the absentee mom--that would make me really sad too! I don't have any herbal remedies for sadness, but yoga usually makes me feel calmer, and I have had success with meditation in the past. I'll never understand why some people don't stay engaged with their kids--it's really heartbreaking and I don't think you are being at all bratty for wanting her to care; it's a completely understandable feeling. Also, boo to your DH being bratty about your night breathing. It's a pregnancy thing we just can't help! I've become quite the snorer no matter what position I sleep in, and DH just goes into the guest room to sleep when it bothers him. We have long established that my sleep is the priority in our house, because he doesn't mind not sleeping as much as I do (my turn to be bratty, lol. I really appreciate his selflessness here!). He suggests that your DH get a puffy mattress topper or something soft to make the couch more comfortable.

I've missed out on too many other conversations that I wanted to also reply to but can't scroll back far enough to see. We're in Tennessee for the week after a 16-hour car trip on Sunday, and we left the morning after my artist's talk and opening reception for my exhibition (I'll post a few pictures when we get back home). The car ride was pretty uncomfortable so DH drove most of the way. He also indulged my need to stop for the bathroom every 1-2 hours without complaining. I was getting nervous about taking such a long trip after our early birth and early contractions in the DDC the last few weeks, but I feel better about it now that I'm here. My grandma and all my dad's brothers and sisters are here, and my parents came from Oklahoma (they just escaped the crazy flooding that caused their neighborhood to be evacuated--luckily their house is okay!) to be here at the same time. Everyone is excited about the baby and my belly, which is sweet. My mom wants to feel every time he kicks, and she came over to rub my back when I looked uncomfortable. It's really sweet (and so I especially feel sad for you missing out with your mama, rcb). William is getting to try a lot of Southern food I wouldn't normally eat, and there are very few vegetables served here. Luckily, there's lots of fruit, so I'm making up for the lost nutrition that way. Anyhow, I probably won't be able to check in as much this week, but I hope everyone is having a good week so far!

#18 ·
@Wild Rose, your get-together sounds like a wonderful idea! Even close to your due date, you'll still relish all the encouragement and love from your support network!
@MrsKoehn, I know what you mean about expecting a simple project and being surprised at how artistic these men can be at times! And then other things, I'm like um, honey, leeeet me fix that up for you. ;)
@Emanresu, I hope you got lots of projects done like you wanted to while you had the childcare! And yes, I will promise to post a photo on here of the crib once it's finished... So maybe in like 5 years I'll come back on here and post a photo of it. :lol
@Metasequoia, I have been on a dairy binge lately too! Fresh fruit cut up into full-fat cottage cheese, Pastured Yogurt mixed into EVERYTHING, yum yum yum! And I had more than one delicious burger this weekend as well. ;) We'll see how that affects the scale at my appt this thursday with my MW. I'm also going to be at a BBQ tomorrow night and some of the ladies going make killer desserts so even if I did ok so far this week, maybe I'll gain a few lbs tomorrow night before my appt in the morning!
@rcb215, UGH. Can I please just validate how you're feeling right now? Feel a hug from way over in Washington state, because it totally makes sense that you feel abandoned during this gigantic life transformation that you are going through. :Hug I went through a very similar experience with my parents right before I got married, and it was just soul-crushing. I think it made matters worse that our society (through media, movies, and just general dialogue)proliferates the idea that all parents/siblings are automatically our bestest supportive friends during life changes (marriage, childbearing, etc.), and so friends and acquaintances sometimes step back from being as helpful and involved as they could be because they *assume* that our family is already fulfilling that role and they don't want to step on anybody's toes. And then you end up home alone thinking "Am I the ONLY ONE who doesn't have an awesome involved mom to walk with them through this stage????" Because we're all too damned independent to talk about the fact that SO MANY of us feel that ache, whether it be our mom that's not involved, a sibling, a formerly close friend, or whatever it is. Can you think of a few specific things that you were hoping you and your mom could share in together during your pregnancy, and then invite her to do those??? (That way you're not putting "general pressure" on her to be more involved, but still giving yourself a chance to bond/build some of those important memories with her?) I don't know what's most important to you, but for example like maybe you hoped the two of you would make a baby quilt together, or go through family photo albums of you as an infant and have her tell you stories of you as a baby, you could invite her to go to the fabric store with you to buy supplies for the quilt, or tell her you'd like to spend a little time going through photos together. Maybe that would take away the need for the awkward "You're failing me" conversation and replace it with "Would you like to share these important moments with me?" I know that during rocky times with my mom, being specific about my needs worked better than just holding onto general disappointment towards her or blowing up and sharing an overwhelming amount of unreasonable expectations with her. Just a thought...

I went hiking a little to fast yesterday ladies (I usually go once a week or so), and my calves are sore today. I went to the gym and worked out hard Sat/Sun, too, so today I'm getting a massage/Bodywork after work and then going straight home and sleeping. :) I told my DH I'll be dead to the world after I walk in the door and fall into my bed.

#20 ·
Girls, someone throw me a line.

Yesterday, Sebastian and I had a nice cool shower and turned on the a/c just as we left to take Sophie to her softball game in the evening. I was so looking forward to coming home and getting an awesome night's sleep in the coolness of the a/c after sweating so much all day that my skin hurt.

Buuuuut...nope. We got home and it turned out that as Nana drove Samual to his baseball practice, he said his belly hurt and he wanted to go home. So they turned around and he came home, threw up, and fell asleep on the couch.
Then he woke up as we came in, and continued to throw up allllllllllllll night long, every half hour or so. So much for some solid sleep. :(

I "woke" with a headache from two consecutive nights of not good sleep and I feel like a zombie. But at least the house it cool and dry. It's like a sauna outside and there's (finally!! and hopefully it will come to fruition!) rain in the forecast!

Maybe I can get a nap or two in and not wake with a worse headache... I'm hoping Samual sleeps a lot today too.

The good news is, nothing on the schedule for today! Thank goodness...

Now I'm just worried that it's going to spread and tonight I'll be up with Sebastian all night while he throws up. He's young enough that I have to catch every vomit episode unless I want it all over the bed. Ugh.

#21 ·
Sounds like everyone had a great weekend.

DS got promptly sick on Sat and was feverish and coughing so hard he was vomiting. Ugh. Poor thing. On Monday he perked up and he was able to have some one on one time with DH.

Yesterday and today he seemed all better except for a little cough and some snot. Naturally the dragon lady that I hate at my son's preschool called me to pick him up. She was a real witch about me daring to send him there. Ugh. If I had known he was sick, I wouldn't have sent him. But she's one of those people who always knows better.

I'm thinking about pulling him out all together. 4 hours to myself a day is just not worth the personality clashes with the teachers. I'm not thrilled with some habits and expressions he's picked up there either. Plus he's been constantly sick for the 6 months he's been there. And I'm always getting treated like I know nothing because I'm under 30 unlike the other parents.

All that food sounds amazing @Metasequoia!

#24 ·
@wassernixe, when is the preschool over for your son? I can sympathize, both with the administration issues and the stuff little kids pick up at school. I once was turned away when I brought DS in because 21 hours before he had diarrhea at school and their policy is 24 hours. I remember it well because of how rude they were and also because in addition to just having to go to work after dropping him off, I actually had a meeting first thing.

#23 ·
Thanks everyone for making me feel a bit better about my mom. No tears today! Winning! Even after the still breech ultrasound. I have decided that I am going to talk with my mom after my shower (this Sunday). I don't want to create tension or upset around a celebration. On a positive note, my SISTER is rocking it as always and is so excited about the shower she is throwing me. She rented a hall and is having it catered by my friend Erin who makes delicious local foods and has a zero waste policy! Yeah! And my sister bought and transplanted a bunch of baby succulents as the shower favor. So lucky to have her. And I am throwing Asa a BBQ/Keg party at our house during the shower. Maybe I mentioned this before?

So sorry you ladies are dealing with sick kids! It seems like that would be a nightmare with this heat!
@Metasequoia: I hope you get some rain! We were supposed to get some yesterday but got nothing. It's raining now and I hope it keeps up for a bit. Asa built us a rain barrel yesterday! I am so excited for this!! Also, I must have been channeling you on my trip home from Cleveland because we were rocking pretty hard to the Grateful Dead Pandora station in the car. :)

#25 ·
@Metasequoia, I am so sorry to hear you are dealing with more sleeplessness. Hopefully you are headed into a night of restfulness and deep sleep tonight. Life can be so relentless! Prayers that the rest of your family does not get sick!

Today was beautiful and I hardly got out into it. But I have the door wide open right now for fresh air and we just had a solicitor come by for the 2nd time in 2 nights. I have totally ignored the door and it is obvious we are home. The last time I spoke with a solicitor, I wrote a check that I then had to cancel. So terrible. I just felt so much that I wanted to support the young man. We don't have the money to be donating (the check was for 200 something, ouch). So, now, I don't talk to solicitors- I am a vulnerable target and we cannot afford it! New rule for me. Another new rule for me is that DH has to toddle rise his drinks or I will knock them over. I need momentum to move these days so I push off of whatever I can- thereby knocking things that are not adequately prepared for my girth. Adjustments, right?! Now that I know what I weigh, it's no wonder I need the help of whatever I can find to move around, gees!
@rcb215, your sister sounds AMAZING. What a gem. What an awesome relationship to have with your sis. So cool. Sounds like you two get each other and your needs. I love that. You all sound like fun.
@mamamargo- how do you do all that? No really, tell me! How many miles are you hiking and are you doing strenuous hikes up hills or what is the terrain? Since hurting my calf, I have been a slow walker and had to be carful about the hills. I live on a huge, like the hugest, hill and so walking anywhere from here I have to be careful. When I drive somewhere and hike, and I keep it not so steep, I am okay and don't have nearly the same problems. I am bummed and hope that this will resolve so that I can get back to moving more freely! Are you still working doing massages? How are your arms?

#35 ·
@mamamargo- how do you do all that? No really, tell me! How many miles are you hiking and are you doing strenuous hikes up hills or what is the terrain? Since hurting my calf, I have been a slow walker and had to be carful about the hills. I live on a huge, like the hugest, hill and so walking anywhere from here I have to be careful. When I drive somewhere and hike, and I keep it not so steep, I am okay and don't have nearly the same problems. I am bummed and hope that this will resolve so that I can get back to moving more freely! Are you still working doing massages? How are your arms?

@Wild Rose, I definitely don't do so much every day! I usually only hike once or twice a week, the other days I try to fit in a long walk around the park by our house, yoga, or the elliptical and some weights at the gym instead. What I have found works for me is if a hike is strenuous and steep, I need to keep it short, just a mile or so as far as distance. Conversely, I can do longer distance hikes if they're flatter. Ever since around week 32ish--the point when I felt my center of gravity and equilibrium totally change--I've taken hiking poles for use particularly on the downhill portion of hikes. It helps me avoid pubic and round ligament pain, as well as saving me from falling a few times when I've lost my balance and slipped.

I definitely go MUCH slower than I did earlier in the pregnancy. For example, one short little hike we do close to home used to only take me 45 min now takes me almost an hour and twenty minutes to finish huffing and puffing. I am no Iron Woman. :p

This was my last week doing massage! I'm both sad about it and happy at the same time. I'm worried I'll get stir crazy only working two days a week at my other job now that I'm not massaging the rest of the week, and I'll miss the physical exercise of it and the gift of helping my clients. However, It was time. My carpal tunnel symptoms cleared up after a few days of rest, and my low back was doing fine as long as I stretched between treatments, but by belly was starting to rub on my clients accidentally an awkward amount. :lol Plus, I was just SO exhausted beyond belief at the end of a long day of massage. Even more so than just my average pregnancy/warmth of summer exhaustion, which is hard to top!

#26 ·
oh and @Metasequoia, we mostly finished the upholstery for the rocking chair. It took us forever, really. But now that I can use the chair, it is so soothing. Something about it is so relaxing and soothing I am thrilled to have it. My only hiccup is that the fabric I chose, that looked like so much fun and was 1/2 off, is a bit wild. DH had to have a lot of fun making fun of it. And I have to chalk it up to "it's fun" It's bright" "it's festive.." So, I am getting used to looking at it. But sitting in it is awesome. So happy to have it. I too found this on CL.

#29 ·
I slept really well. :D I can't believe how awful I felt all day yesterday! Horrible headache, but there was so much more to it and I can't even describe it. I guess it was just all a result of lack of sleep....which kind of scares me since I'll be living that life constantly in about 7 weeks or less....
The worst was at around 4pm, Sebastian started to say his tummy hurt and I just wanted to crawl in a hole and hide. I had visions of being up all night AGAIN and catching vomit. DH took the three youngest out for an hour and I dozed and brushed my teeth and tried to relax about the possibility of Sebastian vomiting all over my car or all over the store. But they all returned unscathed and we slept really well.
Samual only threw up overnight on Tuesday and the whole thing was less than 12 hours, so classic tummy bug for my crew. So far, nobody else has gotten it... If anyone does, please let it be a daytime thing!

Today my midwife is coming over for my appointment! I might actually have to find the motivation to tidy up....
@Wild Rose ~ Emma made some delicious cookies last night that I think you'd love. We were out of maple syrup so she had to improvise and I like them better than the original recipe! I'll post it today at some point. :)

oh and @Metasequoia , we mostly finished the upholstery for the rocking chair. It took us forever, really. But now that I can use the chair, it is so soothing. Something about it is so relaxing and soothing I am thrilled to have it. My only hiccup is that the fabric I chose, that looked like so much fun and was 1/2 off, is a bit wild. DH had to have a lot of fun making fun of it. And I have to chalk it up to "it's fun" It's bright" "it's festive.." So, I am getting used to looking at it. But sitting in it is awesome. So happy to have it. I too found this on CL.
I'd LOVE to see a picture of this chair!!

#27 ·
@wildrose dh and I agreed that any charity outside our usual budget we have to agree together. People get annoyed at the door when I tell them this, asking for just pocket change or whatever. Nope. I'm a strong independent woman who talks to her husband before veering from our budget. It's gotten me out of lots of tight spots too. The worst actually was a lone guy who came to the door collecting for a group fighting domestic violence and sexual assault. He was surprisingly pushy about it. I was talking to him through my locked screen door and he kept asking for money and trying to get me to take info. You'd think with the group he works with he'd understand why I didn't throw open the door. Sheesh. Also the green peace people loiter outside the botanic garden and ask for you to write down your credit card number. Uh, no. Anyway, that rant is over

Glad your chair is great. I have misjudged patterns before too! You never know until it is complete. I painted my first apartment a lovely buttery yellow called daffodil, or so I thought, but it was the color of a cartoonish smiley face

@m@metasequoia how are you all this evening? Getting well?

#28 ·
Yep. DS and I are both sick now.

Neither of us slept well and now we're curled up on the couch resting.

I haven't been this sick in a long time. And all this coughing is super annoying. I keep leaking like crazy. Yuck.

DH is hoping to come early and take care of us. And there's no food in the house, so I really hope he doesn't get held up.

Sick or not, baby wants to eat. That's comforting at least.

#30 ·
Yep. DS and I are both sick now.

Neither of us slept well and now we're curled up on the couch resting.

I haven't been this sick in a long time. And all this coughing is super annoying. I keep leaking like crazy. Yuck.

DH is hoping to come early and take care of us. And there's no food in the house, so I really hope he doesn't get held up.

Sick or not, baby wants to eat. That's comforting at least.
Aw, hugs to you both! Glad your appetite is good, that's always a tough one. Hope you both feel better quickly!

#31 ·
For anyone who is curious, I did finally speak to my mom last night. She had preeetttyyy much the worst reaction ever. It was incredibly selfish and defensive. At one point she told me I am having a baby and not suffering from an illness so she isn't sure what I expect from her. I was like WOW! Okay! Well, that at least helps to clear things up on my end. Ha. It feels better to have my feelings off my chest and to be able to move forward.

In honor of my terrible interaction, I made myself a key lime pie last night. It was AWESOME! And relatively easy. I totally suffered for having eaten a second piece when the baby head butted my stomach last night in the middle of the evening and I got a giant mouthful of key lime flavored stomach acid. :irked

Annnd, this morning I was witness to the SECOND baby bunny massacre in my yard. Our freaking cat! Eh, and then she leaves them for us on the sidewalk. No bueno, kitty. No bueno.

Really short day at work today because I have my first Webster chiro appointment and THEN weekend prep for the baby shower/keg party for Asa! Pretty excited for the festivities.

#33 ·
Really short day at work today because I have my first Webster chiro appointment and THEN weekend prep for the baby shower/keg party for Asa! Pretty excited for the festivities.
This is exciting stuff!!! I can't wait to hear about all of it!! I hope it is the silver lining to the gray clouds in your life. :hug

And I totally need a key lime pie now.... I made my sister a key lime (raw) cheese cake for her birthday...maybe I'll make one of them. :yum

The 8 gallons of milk we got from our favorite farmer is sooooooo much creamier than the raw milk from the store. Every mouthful tastes more like cream than milk and leaves that delicious coating on the roof of my mouth. YUM! Ah, to be a dairy-lover in May...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.