Mothering Forum banner

Postpartum Sex

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  BarefootBrooke 
#1 ·
Are you having it? Is contraception really necessary in the early weeks (months?)? I usually ovulate after 9 months.
How is it going? Awkward? Painful? Better than ever?

Anyone planning permanent contraception if your family is complete (besides mpssweetie of course)?

Any other thoughts worth discussing about pp sex?

#2 ·
We are 3 weeks pp. I told my husband no sex until he gets the vasectomy. My period always comes back early. And to think, I believed those stories about nursing on demand and not getting your cycle back.

So, I'll most likely be ovulating sometime between now and the next 2 weeks.

No more babies for me means no sex right now!

#3 ·
I cannot wait to start again!!! Lol. I was checking dh out in the shower today! ;)

But my lower abdomen is still very tender and I bleed off and on, so I'll wait. It seems like we didn't wait very long last time, 2-3 weeks.

Reactions: LadyAnnibal
#4 ·
I am not bleeding anymore, 1 week postpartum. And I'm totally hot for my DH. We only do "woman on top" with me leading the action so I know I can take it very slow and gentle, very little movement actually (which really works for him, less is more for him as well, but mostly just seeing me enjoy is all he needs to get there!), so I think I could manage to keep it very non-damaging if we try.....
Emanresu why no condoms?

#5 ·
My husband loathes them. He would prefer no sex over using one. We have used them occasionally in the past (since being married),but our method that has always worked is paying attention to my cycle and pull out. We were okay with that because we knew we wanted 4 kids. Now that we are both feeling done, we don't want to take any chances!

I'm still spotting a little, but nothing major.

#7 ·
So funny to see this thread!! My bleeding has slowed to just a pinkish clear at 4 days PP and I caught myself checking out a man's forearms today! I couldn't believe myself... And I've been eyeing DH too. :lol

I'll wait a bit since it's still pretty early. With my first two babies in my early twenties....I think we waited 2-3 weeks. :lol

#8 ·
Thank you for posting this! Sorry I have been MIA for a few days. Just enjoying all this newness with my baby. I have been wondering this about post partum sex though! I too have been eying up my man. I am 10 days post birth so I feel like I should give it some more time (plus I am having some vaginal discomfort from wearing pads so much...I think) but I was wondering if it is standard to wait a full 6 weeks. I am HAPPY to hear that you don't always have to. We even bought some condoms today when we ventured out to Wegmans. I don't love condoms but DH hates having to pull out before he can orgasm. Definitely not ready to be pregnant again so thinking I should definitely use some form of protection. I think having the baby really brought us closer together. I just want to kiss and hug him all the time.

#13 ·
We use FAM+withdrawal so there's only a few days a month that dh has to pull out. None of the other contraceptive methods appeal to us so we make it work! In 13 years together we've had 5 planned pregnancies and none unplanned so seems pretty successful for us.

#14 ·
We DTD at 3 weeks postpartum and it was....normal! Didn't really feel like it was any different than I remembered from before my belly was in the way. The condom did kind of chafe though and left my vagina a tiny bit raw. For like five minutes after, then I didn't perceive anything anymore. Strange because it was a lubricated condom and I was not noticeably dry (or dry at all ) so maybe.....latex sensitivity? Or....? I dunno. But never felt chafing without condoms so I'm suspicious. We'll have to try again without and pull out and see if I feel the same way, so I can figure out if it's the condom or I'm needing additional lube either way (I've never had postpartum dryness so that seems unlikely ).

#15 ·
I think it was probably just sensitive after birth. I've had that every time.

Still nothing here. My belly is so tender from the tubal and now I have this new ripping sensation to the side of my belly button if I so much as sit up too quickly. And, while I didn't tear or anything, I've had some sensitivity down below that started in the last week or two.

Basically I can't imagine wanting anyone on top of me right now. :/
Sucks because I could use the closeness with dh...

#16 ·
Last night I pounced on top of my DH and tested out not using a condom and just pulling out after I had my fun (twice-hehe!). That worked fine, no chafing or soreness at all. I do so enjoy a quickie for making a fun and intimate connection with my husband even when there's not much time or we are tired, etc....

#21 ·
Okay, so how long have you all waited? I am just starting the consider sex again and yet, I am not ready, I am still sensitive and healing- 2.2 weeks out over here, still bleeding and all. I tore and am curious all of you who are back at it or not and why/ why not. how is it??

I know that you, @Serafina33, are pouncing! I'm jealous of your prowess!

#23 ·
It's just been 3 weeks and I haven't wanted to try it yet...I'll probably wait for my midwife appointment in 3 weeks to be sure I'm healed. But I have started having sexy dreams again, and DH is more than ready after not really being into sex for most of my pregnancy. My cousin did it at 3 weeks after a 10 pound baby and was fine, but I remember hearing once that you could actually die if you had sex too early and air bubbles got into your unhealed skin. I'm guessing this is probably super unlikely and maybe not true, but it still stuck in my mind!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.