Mothering Forum banner

Elizabeth's birth story

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  ballerina85 
#1 ·
I had a dr appointment on 7/29 at 40+1. She did a check and told me that I was 2cm and 70% effaced. She did a sweep and stretch and was hopeful that I'd go into labor soon. I knew they were going to start forcing the issue of induction so I hoped that she was right. 

The next morning I woke up and had minimal cramping. I went for a 3 mile walk and bounced on the yoga ball but nothing seemed to be happening. I was bummed and ate chocolate and watched Netflix while sulking. 

I started getting crampy at 5pm but there was nothing timeable. Then at 5:30 my water broke. I immediately started having contractions 3 min apart. Within an hour they were really intense and I was having trouble breathing through them. The doula arrived around 7 and helped me but it quickly got to the point where the contractions were on top of one another and I wasn't getting a break. I didn't know any better and figured I was still in early labor and I was just being a wimp. I wondered how the heck I was going to get through another 8 hours or so.

The doula knew better and said we should call a cab. By the time I got into the cab I was feeling pushy and getting freaked out. Somehow I got up to triage and the doctor said I was fully dilated. They rushed me to a delivery room and out she came 20 minutes later. So from the time labor started it was 4.5 hours! 

No tearing, no stitching!

We're still getting the hang of nursing but we'll get there!

I'll add photos once I get a chance to get on the computer.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.