Mothering Forum banner

Symptoms, Feelings, Plans ...

3K views 73 replies 31 participants last post by  hyacinth. 
#1 ·
I thought we could have a thread to chat about our initial symptoms, feelings, plans ... .

Sometimes, I almost forget I'm pregnant (I'm 4w6d; edd 8/15) ... other times, the bathroom trips, stretching uterus, and fatigue keep me from forgetting.

Either way, I'm so excited to be having this LoveBug. It's the first baby that we intentionally tried to have (we have two others [dd 3yo and ds 5yo] who were lovely surprises). Although we'd like to have one more within two years of this one before we feel complete, you just never know, so I'm really looking forward to doing all the pregnancy activities again.

Since we already have a boy and a girl, I'd love to have a surprise on delivery day, but we are super impatient people when it comes to things like gifts/presents, and that is almost how this baby feels, so there's no way we can wait. We'll end up trying to find out asap, like we did with the first two, so that we can go ahead and start calling him/her by his/her name and finding things specifically for him/her.

I was lurking on a TTGP board last month bc I wanted to prepare for trying. There were so many who knew their ovulation dates and were turning tests 9, 10, 11, dpo. I tested three times within 16 days of what I believe was my ovulation date and kept getting what looked like evap lines (still confident they were), yet I just had a feeling that I couldn't shake. Finally, I tested with a doc at 18 dpo (Tue) bc my pd was late, and it was confirmed. I took another hpt this morning (about an hr ago) and feel assured now that I was finally able to turn a test. It seems as though this were the longest 2WW ever! lol Now that I don't have to stress about that, I feel like I can finally enjoy this journey and stick to my normal pray-that-everything-is-ok-with-baby-while-in-me worrying lol.

Re: Birthing plans - With my first, I had a doula, a midwife, and was relieved to have the options for a natural home waterbirth - I even had three different tubs, just in case lol. I live within 4 minutes of the hospital, which gave peace-of-mind to my husband and mother, neither of which is as crunchy as me, but both try to be as supportive as their comfort allows. Long story short, it turns out I don't dilate - at all ... not even a little. This was confirmed with my daughter. So, as was the case with them, I'll be anticipating a third c-section and the normal hospital bit (sigh). It may not seem like it, but I've made peace with this and am just looking forward to this entire journey of being a mom of three (and hopefully, someday, four). Oddly enough, before my son, I thought we would be done with just the one. :) Guess not, thankfully!

What about you?

See less See more
#2 ·
Weird Pains!

Thanks for starting this thread!

I am 5 and a half weeks in with my first pregnancy and the symptoms are in full force... Before Monday I thought they were just side effects of getting off birth control as this is my FIRST MONTH off! Then when AF didn't show I figured I better test just to be a safe. Well surprise! We were not expecting this until at least like 6 months from now but everything happens for a reason. :)

My symptoms are typical- sore boobies, weird achy pains in my pelvic area (crampy-ish but not period crampy), nausea, heartburn, and fatigue. The one other symptom that was really worrying me was some brown spotting that shows up about every other day for the entire day.... I spoke to my midwife about it and we reached the conclusion that it s likely just because my blood doesn't clot well (I carry hemophilia) and the implantation bleeding has just taken a bit to stop. She also reassured me what a couple of you lovely ladies reassured me- brown blood is nothing to worry about!

Birth plan wise: I have a midwife at an OBGYN practice who I plan on seeing and I have a wonderful doula lined up as well. I am going to give birth at the local hospital because the a hemophilia risks I face, and my baby has a 50% chance of facing. However, I am strongly hoping to keep it natural and the hospital does offer water births which I plan on taking full advantage off.

I am so excited to take this journey with all of you ladies! Hoping for a couple more first time moms but also looking forward to the knowledge all of you experienced ones already have!

#3 ·
Yay! So glad to see this board finally up!
Im 6w4d with a surprise baby#4. Feeling a little nervous because my symptoms seem milder than I remember.. I have little to no nausea , lots of fatigue , tender breasts/nipples and peeing a lot! Hoping and praying I am just lucking out with the lack of m/s and that we will see a healthy heartbeat in a week and half!

#4 ·
Hi, I am a SAHM of 7. This is my 10th pregnancy, I have had 2 m/c.

I'm 5w6d. My first 2 births were induced, epidural and all. The 3rd was my first natural birth and it was very empowering. My 4th and 5th were also natural and at the hospital. My 6th was born at home in the water with just me and my husband there. It was amazing. Our last was supposed to be the same but half way through I had a bad feeling. We went to the hospital, he was born and wouldn't breath. He spent 8 days in the nicu.

Hope to have another home birth but it will just depend on how we feel as it gets closer.

We have never found out the sex of our babies so this will be the same! I really want twins so here's hopping!

#5 · (Edited)
I think the urge to post to these threads and coalesce with my fellow August mama's is my main pregnancy symptom right now. :) At 4w3d I am peeing a lot and feel slight cramping and twinges and like I have a bubble living under my public bone (7th pregnancy, 4th baby...basically my body seems to be going "Yawn. BTDT"). Oh, I'm also craving spicy foods. This was the case with my previous pregnancy too - I lived for the sriracha sauce on everything.

I am also obsessing a bit about taking All The Vitamins. I have a hx of preeclampsia with 2 out of 3 the girls (I had 3 mcs between #2 & #3 ) - the two pregnancies I didn't take Calcium/Magnesium supplements. So I'm taking Ultra Mag (which has the unfortunate side effect of acting like a laxative) and a Calcium Mag supplement to bring the ratio up from 2:1 (calc:mag) to 1:1. I'm also taking an iron supplement (blood builder from megafoods - which would probably be constipating if it weren't for the above referenced magnesium), a whole food prenatal (again, megafood) and cod liver oil - about 2200mg of omega-3s per day I think.
I am breastfeeding DD3 (who's 2 1/2 and not at all interested in weaning)...

Re: Birth plans...hopes and dreams at this point. This is likely our last baby and I would really love to have a homebirth. DH is a bit on the fence ...I'm not actually sure why. We probably should have that talk. I know part of it is he's worried our house is too disorganized and messy. I'm calling around to midwives right now to find out if it's even a possibility with my health history. If not homebirth, it will be another midwife attended hospital birth at the hospital where DD2 and DD3 were born. Those were amazing births so I would be okay with that again...I just think I'd have a lot more comfortable experience laboring at home without all the poking and prodding and the drive to the hospital in labor. :)

And that's quite enough from me. @JordanElizabeth , I just wanted to say, if you want a natural (or low intervention, drug-free) birth, it's never too early to start educating yourself and your husband about your options. It really makes such a huge difference to be well informed. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is the classic standby for natural birth (my first time reading it, I skipped over the birth stories and just focused on the information she presents). Childbirth Without Fear is also excellent. congratulations on your first! :)

#6 ·
And that's quite enough from me. @JordanElizabeth , I just wanted to say, if you want a natural (or low intervention, drug-free) birth, it's never too early to start educating yourself and your husband about your options. It really makes such a huge difference to be well informed. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is the classic standby for natural birth (my first time reading it, I skipped over the birth stories and just focused on the information she presents). Childbirth Without Fear is also excellent. congratulations on your first! :)
Thanks; I will definitely be purchasing those!

#7 ·
My symptoms have felt very extreme this time around. I have two daughters and I always have intense morning sickness, but this pregnancy is beyond anything so far. It may be because of my high hcg. Today I found out it is 58,000 for 6w2d. I had my hcg tested because I have been having a lot of bleeding so far, bright red bleeding and menstrual-like cramping. I am wearing pads every day. I will test hcg again tomorrow to confirm that it is going up still. So for today I am grateful to be pregnant, and I"m hoping for the best with tomorrow's test. I could go to the city for an ultrasound, but the round-trip is about 12 hours, and with two children, I just do not want to do it. So I will wait it out and see what happens.

#8 ·
This sounds like a multiples hcg outcome. Sorry about the bleeding. I know it can be overwhelming. My aunt had a similar situation and they thought she miscarried, only to find out that though she had, or was only one of twins. I had a similar bleeding situation but it turned out to be an issue with the placenta and DD is now 3. Sending the best vibes for a positive outcome for you!

#9 ·
I love the mix of plans in here!
We're going to be in a very transitional space when I have this baby, and I'm working hardest at coming to peace with not being able to be in my own space, or to "nest" with this baby. I have some lovely options for birthing this child, which is wonderful. We'll have a homebirth, baring something odd, just likely not in our home. We'll be moving from our current city in one country to another city in another country, with a stop of 2-3 months at my in-laws along the way, to collect ourselves (and I am *not* having a baby at my in-laws' house!). I think this kiddo will actually be born at one of my favorite friend's houses, in yet another city. Her partner is our sperm donor, and they were at the birth of our first also, so that's sort of special. They have an awesome jacuzzi tub that I don't think I'll be able to let myself birth in! I'm a midwife at a birth center, and I've seen far too many really, really messy waterbirths to feel ok about potentially making that much of a mess in someone's tub! But, it will be lovely to labour in. :grin:
We should start a photo thread, because the bloat on this mama is so ridiculous that it's actually amusing. I look about 12 weeks along. I'm not kidding. This is the fourth time I've carried a pregnancy this far, and I think my body is just a little too comfortable with the progression! I sort of love it, unless people ask how many weeks I am, at which point it's just a little embarrassing to admit to only being 5-6 weeks. ahem.

#10 ·
I am seven weeks today! I have had morning sickness for the last two weeks, just a sort of constant nausea, especially when my stomach is empty, but I never want to eat anything. Basically no foods seem appealing, but the hungrier I get the worse my nausea gets so I have to try to force myself to eat. Blech. I vomit every morning as soon as I get up no matter what I do, which is gross, but could be worse since I seem to be able to keep food down the rest of the time. Other than that I pee constantly, and have really sore breasts. And the bloat! I have never experienced anything like that- by evening I feel like a whale.
We are planning to have a home birth, maybe a water birth, I really haven't given that too much thought as yet. This baby was a pretty big surprise so there are so many things I'm trying to wrap my head around! We will potentially be moving before the baby is born and have sooo much stuff to figure out, at this point I'm just trying to relax and believe it will all fall into place. Regardless, we are super excited!!
We are planning on telling our families at Christmas, but trying to keep it a secret from friends til my first appointment, though that is going to be really hard this time of year. We are having a holiday party tomorrow, so wish me luck!

#11 ·
Let's see...

I'm about 6 weeks along. This week I've felt pretty good, tired but not too tired, queasy but not nauseous, sore, mild insomnia, weepy, but the bloat! Oi! This bloat is amazing. Sometimes it makes digestion painful. Also I've had some pelvic soreness and nipple soreness (still nursing DD). It seems as if the symptoms come on faster the second time around.

Plans... Well, I called my midwife from DD's homebirth so we are all set to hire her again for the homebirth we are planning with this new LO. My first prenatal appointment with her is late January. We won't be finding out gender. I tried to water birth last time and didn't like the tub so I am going to give it a pass this time. I'm eating and hydrating responsibly and staying active with prenatal yoga. I'm reading Birthing From Within to prepare emotionally for labor and for adding another child to our family.

We have already spilled the beans to close friends and DH's sister, we plan to tell family at Christmas and everyone else after.

Last time it was just DH and I and the two midwives required but this next birth I am planning to have two close girlfriends there to help with my DD and for support. I'm kind of nervous about that bc last time I lost modesty pretty early on and I don't care so much but I want my friends to feel comfortable so I am thinking of sewing myself a pretty and comfortable labor gown. It will have to be very loose and soft but I think I could stitch something together for the occasion? I will also prepare them in case I want to disrobe anyway (which will probably happen, last time clothes felt like a prison and getting naked felt like the shawshank redemption)!

I hope to have DD at the birth but I am trying to prepare for what needs to happen if she starts to get scared for me. I almost think it would be worse for her to be taken away from the room at that point. But the pros of having her there to see what it is that is going on seem to be so strong that I think I am willing to risk it at least at this point. She will grow so much in the next eight months that I am sure by then I will have a more clear idea of how she will take it.

I think that's all I got for now

#15 ·
So sorry for your loss soleilmama! Hope we'll see you back here soon. :crying:

--Anyone else having an impossible time going to bed? I am suddenly not tired at all...I have a lot of energy or something, it's annoying. With my previous pregnancies I felt dead for the first 12 weeks. At this moment, I am busy making family photo albums on shutterfly while everyone else in the family sleep (!!!) because I'm not sleepy. What gives? I"m wondering if it's my vitamins...

#13 ·
SoleilMama333- I'm so sorry! Hope you are feeling better soon and will rejoin us or another due date forum soon!

Just found out yesterday, on the day AF was due, that I'm pregnant. Took the test because I my boobs have been way more painful than PMS boobs for about 4 days and I was having weird symptoms: low fever, craving cold things (which I usually hate because of sensitive teeth), smelling normal things that now disgust me, or switching smells in my mind (somehow I thought the smell of jasmine was ginger, and a whiff of rice was bacon?).

I'm really excited as we have been trying for only a couple months and I didn't expect it to happen this soon. I have an almost 10 year old so it's been a while since my last pregnancy, back when I was blissfully unaware of complication or miscarrying or anything of the sort. That pregnancy was pretty stress free but this time around I'm already freaking out about every little thing that could go wrong. I'm just really impatient to at least get past the 12 week mark.

I'm going to be using the midwife services I used last time, there will be different midwives, which I don't mind since I am pretty sure my last one was burnt out and the current ones are all awesome! I'm undecided on a home north or the freestanding birth center that they have. I had a home birth with my 9 year old but I live a little farther away from the hospital this time so I might go with the birthing center, which is about 2 mins away from it.

Right now the EDD is August 22nd, and I'm about 4w 1day along. I'm ALSO nervous because I just got a new job this week and will probably be telling them in February...I'm not sure how long they would gig me for maternity leave and I'm REALLY hoping I can get at least 3 months at home with my new one and still have a job to come back to, but I doubt it. I'm trying to find work from home solutions right now but I can never tell what's a scam, what actually works, and what's legit.

So, just trying to let the news sink in and not give in to all my worries. I'm feeling extremely excited on the other hand, can't wait to meet my new little one!

#16 ·
I'm so, so sorry Soleilmama. Even when it's early, it's still such a grief-filled experience, and I'm sorry you're working through it, especially at this time of year.

I'm having a *lot* of cramping. Am sort of freaked out. It seems to be slightly better with rest, but I can't just lie down all day! I have fairly significant pelvic organ prolapse, and I'm not sure what's maybe related to that vs what's threatened miscarriage stuff. I don't remember feeling like this with my last baby though, and I had the prolapse issues then too. Anyway, would appreciate hearing all of your "I was so crampy, and my baby was fine!" stories.

#17 ·
lightheartedmom- I'm having the troubles you had in your other pregnancies...I can barely keep my eyes open pretty much all day long! BUT I will say this-B vitamins keep me up if I ever take them past like 1 or 2 in the afternoon. Try to take your prenatals before then and see what happens!

quantumleap- with my first pregnancy I had horrible cramping for the first 8 weeks and everything turned out just fine! Haha. I have to keep reminding myself of that because I'm also experiencing a lot of cramping this time around and I'm only 4 weeks and like 2 days. It's even extended to my back and down my inner legs! I keep looking back at a journal I kept during my first pregnancy and reading about how horrible the cramps were just to reassure myself lol

#18 ·
I too am so exhausted I am barely cope with day to day life. And I have been bleeding for over a week now, so that has got to be draining too. Yesterday I found out that I am pregnant with twins though. Unfortunately though there is a subchorionic hemmorage between them which is causing the bleeding. I didn't have any bleeding with my daughters, so I am scared. I'm also a bit nervous about going from 2 children to 4, but for the most part, I can't even wrap my head around it, as the bleeding seems in the forefront. If I make it through the first trimester, I am sure it will hit me. Right now each day that I remain pregnant feels like an accomplishment.

#22 ·
Wow SplashingPuddle - big news! Congratulations on your twins! I know the bleeding can be very scary...I had a friend who's wife had a SCH through her first trimester. It was a nerve wracking time for them but everything turned out find and that baby is now a very healthy little boy. Taking it one day at a time - as you are - seems like the best approach. <3

#19 ·
Splashingpuddle - wow congrats on the twins! I can't even imagine! I've never bled with any pregnancy so I am terrified of it even know in so many cases it's harmless.

Quantum leap - I'm also pretty crampy - 7w3d now. Yesterday I as camping and feeling a lot of pressure down there but I remember it from my last pregnancy too so was not too concerned.

As for me , I seem to be holding my breath until my u/s appt tomorrow. I'm so nervous and scared that there won't be a heartbeat or any baby at all. Morning sickness started last week so that's a little reassuring at least..I'm glad it's been manageable so far as long as I don't let me belly get empty.

#23 ·
It's going to be okay!

Congrats SP! How exciting! I'm sure it's a bit scary, but hey, you've got 8-9 months to let it sink in, right?:wink:

I don't know if anyone else out there needs this, especially because most of us are on #3 ....but I have a short word of encouragement. I was feeling kind of bogged down because my morning sickness was preventing me from cooking dinner for the rest of my family. I have 2 hungry boys and a hungry husband that I just kept sending out to the drive-through. Today, I just remembered that "this too shall pass." Right now, I'm exhausted and nauseous. It's perfectly fine to relax the reins a bit and pick up food that is easier to make. So what if you go through the drive-through every one and awhil;, you're making a baby! Once this 1st trimester passes, you'll feel like cooking again and get back to your usual routine. ITS OKAY and ITS GOING TO BE OKAY!!

Hope this helps someone:x

#24 ·
Congrats SP! How exciting! I'm sure it's a bit scary, but hey, you've got 8-9 months to let it sink in, right?:wink:

I don't know if anyone else out there needs this, especially because most of us are on #3 ....but I have a short word of encouragement. I was feeling kind of bogged down because my morning sickness was preventing me from cooking dinner for the rest of my family. I have 2 hungry boys and a hungry husband that I just kept sending out to the drive-through. Today, I just remembered that "this too shall pass." Right now, I'm exhausted and nauseous. It's perfectly fine to relax the reins a bit and pick up food that is easier to make. So what if you go through the drive-through every one and awhil;, you're making a baby! Once this 1st trimester passes, you'll feel like cooking again and get back to your usual routine. ITS OKAY and ITS GOING TO BE OKAY!!

Hope this helps someone:x
Thanks Idserrano! <3 you have no idea how bad i needed that.

#26 ·
OMG. I remember the first time I got heartburn during my first pregnancy. I seriously thought I was having a heart attack. I worked in an OB office and went crying to the nurse practitioner about it. She told me to take malox. Lots of malox.

It hasn't plagued me much in subsequent pregnancies...which is good because my last one, all I wanted to eat all the time was spicy food. And this one seems to be following suit. All the garlic chili sauce. That is what I want. On Everything. And that at this point is my only symptom.

#30 ·
Has anyone ever had a singleton or more and then twins. I'm kind of freaking out that maybe I am. With my two children and my miscarriage I didn't find out until 15 DPO...day before my cycle was expected to start. With this babe I found out 10 DPO...and pretty solidly. I am very sure about ovulation day since I was temping. I've never had nausea with my three pregnancies and now I'm getting hit all the time...last night I started dry heaving watching a commercial with someone eating raw egg yolks.
I've also had to go up a pants size and I'm only 5 1/2 weeks. We don't do ultrasounds and my midwife only drew the progesterone lab at 4 weeks to make sure it was good because of miscarriage in September. Sooo my question is knowing all pregnancies are different had anyone had twins and noted way different signs. Thoughts?

#31 ·
ongrats on the twins, Splashingpuddle!
And thank you for the encouragement, Idserrano. I need that today.

For the past two weeks I had been feeling wonderful. Full of energy and all warm fuzzies knowing I am pregnant.

Then last night, the morning sickness hit. I was at a potluck at a friend's house and I realized I had to leave for fear of hurling in front of everyone. This morning I felt sooo sick I stuck my 2 year old in front of the tv for an hour and half and tried to get ginger ale and dry cheerios down until I did throw up. At least I felt better after that. But all day I have been hovering on the edge of sick. I can only think of 9 things (I made a list) that I can stand the thought of eating. One of them is chicken breast, and I have been a vegetarian for seventeen years! UGH!

I don't want to feel like this for the next two months.

#32 ·
mamalove: I had two singletons and I'm now pregnant with twins. The most notable early symptoms was extreme exhaustion. Normally in pregnancy I like 1-2 naps/day in the first trimester, but this time, if I don't get 3 naps, then I am not able to cope. Unfortunately, I usually do not get 3 naps and I am unbearably tired. The nausea is worse too, but I always have really bad nausea, so its less noticeably different. I am so tired that being told I am supposed to be on bed rest would seem like a dream come true. The tiredness could also be due to the blood loss though, since I am bleeding every day still.

#33 ·
6 weeks + 2 days, and morning sickness is getting worse. It started earlier this time, around 4 weeks. Fortunately I can usually keep things down so far, I just feel awful. But then I'll randomly throw up. My two kiddos think it's hilarious (2&4 y.o. boys). I'm having a hard time staying awake past 7 or 8 and could nap all day if that were possible. Also having a hard time catching my breath sometimes and dizzyness although that is getting better. Really intense dreams and many sexual (and with strangers lol) but I haven't shared that with my husband he might not catch the humor. My belly looks different to me but clothes are still ok now that bloating lessened. It's almost like I can always feel the subtle stretching feeling in my belly, I don't remember that being so pronounced before...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.