Mothering Forum banner

Locations!

1K views 28 replies 26 participants last post by  MamaChick 
#1 ·
I thought it might be fun to share our (general) locations. I am curious about how pregnancy/birth situations differ by where people live.. and who knows! Maybe people could potentially meet up if they live close to one another!

I live in Connecticut, US. I am pretty much equidistant from Boston and NY. It's about a 2 hour drive to either of them. Despite this, I live in a pretty small town/rural area. My hospital (if I don't end up going for home birth) is about 20-25 minutes away.

#2 ·
I live in Central PA and we always joke that we are about 3 hours from everything...all the big cities (NY, Philly, Pittsburgh) and the ocean. I live in a very rural area that is near to State College (when Penn State University is located). We have mountains and farmland all around us and lots of Amish. I also will have to travel about 30 minutes to the hospital where I will give birth. There is one a few blocks from my house, but it doesn't have a very good reputation and I won't go there unless there's a dire emergency.

#3 ·
Another New Englander here- we live in Massachusetts about an hour NW of Boston. Will most likely deliver at a hospital 35 minutes away. That's 20 minutes closer than the hospital we used last time and I definitely won't mind the shorter commute. Our town is medium sized I guess, feels small to me as we have always lived in cities before this.

#6 ·
North Dakota here! Trying to find a location to do a water birth, but no facilities will and all home birth midwives are newish lay midwives. I'm not comfortable with them. Last time I had a intervention/drug free birth at our hospital with a midwife. I loved it but want to use water this time. It sucks having so few birth choices!

#12 ·
I'm in Salt Lake City. I had my first in a hospital and my second at home. I'm really not sure where I want to be this time. I've moved away from my midwife and comfort support since those births so I need to figure out where my safe place will be.

#14 ·
I live in Brussels, Belgium (and yes definitely options for what is available, what is "typical" etc are different not living in the US!). I'm from Massachussets though so hi to all you in that area as well :)
My dd (2.5yrs) was also born here in Brussels so I know the system here already which is nice

#17 ·
I'm in the Dallas area (Texas). We've got a pretty crunchy birth community, for which I'm thankful. My midwife/birth center (if we don't do a home birth) is about an hour away but so worth it.

#18 ·
Am in Minnesota and last birth was unassisted. Planning on unassisted again this time. First birth was horrible hospital birth which i hated and will never do again

#19 ·
I'm in central Virginia. Our first was planned for a birth center (in Columbia, SC) but we transferred to hospital 30 something hours in due to sciatica which I majorly regret- my midwives at the time were ill-educated on dealing with such situations. Bummer. Our second was a planned hospital birth (with midwife in El Paso, TX) turned unplanned unassisted home water birth at the last minute and it was blissful. I so want to have an unassisted birth again, but really wish I could have someone there like in another part of the house "just in case" which isn't a thing unfortunately. Haha so I hope the midwife I have found is just hands-off enough for my liking.

#20 ·
I hear some midwives are pretty hands off :) good luck! Hope you find one you like!

#26 ·
I live on the seacoast in NH. I had my heart set on a birthing center, but the only one close by is closing. I'm a little scared of a home birth, as this is our first, but fell in love with a midwife that has great outcomes with it. I've heard hospitals in NH are pitocin crazed, so I would much rather have a home birth. My parents are far from supportive, as my mom is in the health care field. So brushing off their comments about being selfish, irresponsible, and "killing my baby" has become a day to day thing. I wish NH was more open to the natural route. We just moved from VT, where we would have had no problems. Here, everyone looks at you like you have two heads. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.