Mothering Forum banner

Twins?

2K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  MyFillingQuiver 
#1 ·
We found out that I am pregnant with twins a couple of weeks ago at 7 weeks. I am wondering if any others are carrying twins? or have a strong suspicion? Anyone have twins in another pregnancy and are now carrying a singleton?

I have two singletons, the youngest who is still breastfeeding. Has anyone breastfed three at a time or is planning on it?

#2 ·
My last pregnancy was twins, technically. We had one healthy baby and one molar pregnancy. It's super rare to have both together, and, obviously, not a viable pregnancy. My daughter's pregnancy, we strongly suspect, was a twin pregnancy too. She had an *enormous* placenta, and was in one set of membranes over half the placenta, and then there was a second set of membranes over the whole thing. But, I've never *really* had a twin pregnancy. There's a lot of twinning on the maternal side of my family, and I would not be shocked if my sister or I had twins at some point.
I'm just babbling, really. I'm excited for you, Splashing Puddle! Hoping you're feeling a bit better about the whole thing, and that the bleeding has slowed down a bit? Statistically, there's got to be another set in this group somewhere! I'm totally curious to find out who it is. :grin:

#3 ·
I had a strong feeling there were two, however, my ultrasound showed just the one. Guess I was wrong - lol!! Guess it was just the extra Christmas weight... ;)

#4 ·
I'm questioning if I'm having twins. I see so many mommas wondering if they are and i think often times it may be wishful thinking? or just the opposite, fear of twins? I personally feel torn. On one hand it sounds exciting and fun and i would welcome and love two babies in a heartbeat. on the other hand i have a 3 yr old and 1 yr old now and i'm already exhausted... adding 2 more would be absolute chaos! Anyway, I mentioned that i'm questioning it for two reasons. one, when i took my pregnancy test it was an IMMEDIATE, DARK SOLID second line. there was no faintness, no waiting. clearly a very very strong positive and at that time i was only about 6 weeks. with my previous pregnancies i found out about same time and it was faint second lines. also, I'm now 8 weeks but for the last two weeks have already been experiencing quite a bit of round ligament pain when turning around in bed and such. generally that doesn't start til 2nd trimester i guess. anyway, i can keep on questioning because i don't plan on an ultrasound so probably won't know til birth. but the question is haunting me haha!

#5 ·
I'm going to jump in and say I think/hope it's twins for me. I've thought all my pregnancies were twins, and b/c of my large-for-date measurements, was even checked for twins with DS #1 and 3. But it always turns out to be just one.

However, this time I'm 8 weeks, and though I can't feel my fundus yet, I look 4 mo pregnant! Also, I am sooo winded, just walking up the stairs or across the house, and I've never had that before. And, like some others, my preg test, at 5 weeks, was so dark that the control line was practically invisible. (seems early for that).

Of course, I could just have my dates wrong. Maybe my last period was "implantation bleeding."

This is, very very probably, my last pregnancy (and was a surprise, at that) so it feels like my last chance and I've always wanted twins. So here's hoping. First appt is 1/29 and the waiting is driving me nuts!

#6 ·
We found out that I am pregnant with twins a couple of weeks ago at 7 weeks. I am wondering if any others are carrying twins? or have a strong suspicion? Anyone have twins in another pregnancy and are now carrying a singleton?

I have two singletons, the youngest who is still breastfeeding. Has anyone breastfed three at a time or is planning on it?
I'm having twins!! They are Di-Di, so unsure of zygosity (identical or fraternal) at this point.

SplsshingPuddle, do you know what yours are?

#8 ·
Yes, SplashingPuddle, they absolutely can be identical and be di-amniotic and di-chorionic. The split has to happen by day 4. Different genders will rule that out, of course, and the babies looking very very different, can also indicate that. I wonder why they are so sure. My ultrasound tech and Dr both said there's no way to know at this point.

I'm just glad mine are Di-Di this time, since the chances of fetal demise are lessened greatly. I did read today that when most of the uterus is covered in placental matter, that can up the risks for bleeding and abruptions. I wasn't aware of this before, but it makes sense.

Any ideas what yours are???

#10 ·
Yes, that's true about blood types, but if both my husband and I have A+ for at least 2 generations, I doubt the babies will have different.

I'm sorry about your bleeding. SCH are awful, scary, and can go either way. I'm glad yours has stopped.

I'm not completely sure about genders... As far as I can tell, both babies will be the same gender, but I'm not sure whether they're placentas are on the right or left for sure, based on the pictures (if they're mirrored, they're girls, if they're not, they're boys) I'm pretty sure they are mirrored, so... Hehe.
I need the girls tbh, just for bedroom situations. My boys room has 4 in it already and is full. The girls only have 2 in there.

But boys are so much easier. Lol!! Idk, can you tell I'm torn. I really don't care either way. After 9 miscarriages in a row the last 3 years, I don't care what they are as long as they're not dead!!

#12 ·
Has this pregnancy felt any different for you than your singletons?

My midwife says I measure three weeks ahead, so I am a bit bigger but not too much. I definitely had worse nausea and far more exhaustion, but I am surprised that it slowly improving now that I am 14 weeks. Of course homeschooling little ones is exhausting too, so I cannot tell some days whether its a hard day or whether its due to the pregnancy. Usually though I can tell that the exhaustion is greater than usual.

I am also worried about this being a very different birth than my previous home births.

#13 ·
DDC crashing..

I'm having twins, as well. I just wanted you to know there is a multiples thread on MDC, but it's not very active. There are a lot of older posts that may be helpful, though.

I am in my 30th week with twins, and expect to go to at least 37 weeks. Of course, I don't know for sure, but that's what I anticipate, as well as large babies. I am having a boy and a girl.

I do disagree that boys are easier, but that's all up to how we look at it, I guess!

I'm sorry to hear about the bleeding, and I hope that subsides for you. I had a complete previa with baby A, but it has resolved completely and I'm all set for a vaginal birth as long as baby A is head down.

Anyway, thanks for letting me chime in. It's all very excited and new and unknown, isn't it? Blessings to you, mama's and I hope you have wonderful, uneventful pregnancies that conclude with healthy babies!

#14 ·
Thanks for popping in, myfillingquiver! It's nice to hear from someone a little further down the road than we are.

Puddle, yes, it's different. I had a singleton only the first time. The nausea and exhaustion was bad. My second started as mono mono twins that split just in time to avoid being siamese! The nausea and exhaustion with them (and only one placenta, too) was a whole different world. When the one baby died, I knew it within a day. The nausea and exhaustion went down by almost half. Back to more what my bad had been the first time. Lol. This one was as bad as when I had twins last time, and that was part of indication. I was actually pregnant for a while with no hcg (normal for me, but a whole different story), and I was just super tired then. Once the hcg started rising, that's when the nausea went crazy! And my hcg went up so so fast.

Reactions: MyFillingQuiver
#15 ·
I am wondering if you are able to feel the babies' positions? I am not doing regular ultrasounds, though I have decided to do one next week. My babies seem to regularly change positions, and I'm finding it much harder to determine position with twins.

How are you determining position? I can guess based on kicks, but I cannot feel heads. The only way I can tell is with twin A. If I do a self vaginal exam, I can tell if twin A is breech or vertex. But then I am lost for twin B. What are your experiences of determining babies' positions? Are you getting regular ultrasounds or not?

#16 · (Edited)
I saw a recent post here, and thought I'd update, as I know how much I appreciated stories of others when expecting twins!

My twins are two months old today!

It was always fairly difficult for me to figure out twin B position.

The pregnancy went very well. I ate high protein/high quality calories and gained a lot of weight with the hopes of having big healthy babies and keeping pre-eclampsia and prematurity away.

At 1 day shy of 37 weeks my blood pressure just continued to rise, despite all of the healthy work I had done, and including passionflower (which did lower it a lot). So, my OB and I discussed what to do and decided on induction via breaking my water. He broke my water, contractions began a few hours later very mildly, labor got underway around 10 pm and I pushed my little girl out in only a couple of pushes. She was 7 lbs 10 oz. Baby B turned transverse (the real risk of twin B) and my OB and a nurse gently turned him. Only 14 minutes after sister, and 2 pushes later, my son was born at 8 lbs 1 oz. It was great!

I had no heavy bleeding or any issues. It did take a skilled practitioner to turn baby B, which is why I chose to be in the hospital with the OB I love.

Hoping all of you have a wonderful end to pregnancy, and a great birth of healthy babies!

Reactions: RonnaLeigh
#17 ·
@MyFillingQuiver that is beautiful and I'm so happy for you!
@SplashingPuddle I am having a hard time determining my singleton's position:serious: I get kicked up high, down low and in the side all day. I think he's just twirling in there. I hope you can get more of an idea after the ultrasound. And maybe as they get a little bigger and further along you'll be able to tell much more easily!

#18 ·
Man my friend just told me a story of a friend who ended up having two sets of triplets back to back. She said they had a custom 6 seater stroller made. I can't imagine trying to turn a stroller with 6 seats. Lol. Apparently this woman now donates her eggs and many other multiple pregnancies have resulted. Craziness. She said I should tell dh the story. Nah, no heart attacks for my man.

#19 ·
Puddle, I had a whole post typed out a couple days ago, and the browser said it had expired,so I lost the whole thing. I was too tried to retype it. Lol.

The gist was, congratulations Quiver! And I can't tell either of my babies positions either.

#20 ·
Hey I guess I missed this thread somehow. Found out at 19w 4d on April 1st that I'm having twins! Di/Di boys. Just wanted to check in and see how you two are doing! I'm "due" August 22nd but definitely don't think I'll make it that far. How have your pregnancies been?

#21 ·
Hi moonwomb - congratulations! I am also expecting di-di boys. I have two girls now (2 and 5). One of the harder things about this pregnancy is that I am not able to easily give birth in my community, unless its unassisted. So I've come to the city to wait until the babies come. If I make it another 1.5 weeks, I will feel comfortable trying a home birth. Both babies are breech, so I am trying to come to terms with the idea of a double breech home birth, while also doing everything I can to turn them.

How is your pregnancy going? what are your birthing plans?

#22 ·
I'm kind of in the same situation, I was with the same group of midwives who I had my now 10 year old with, but as soon as we found out about twins I discovered that there is basically no *legal* midwife within like 500 miles of me who would deliver twins even in a hospital, much less at home! And I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing the unassisted thing. So now I'm with an OB and have almost come to terms with the fact that I'll be going the hospital route. Mine are both head down at 34 weeks, hoping it stays that way. What's cool is my OB will deliver baby B breech if baby A is head down so I have some leeway.

It's been 12 days, how are you doing? Have you made it or are they here? Did your boys decide to flip at all or still comfy in breech?

#23 ·
Twin A is breech (frank) and twin B is head-down. I am now settling into it being a breech birth, as the chances of turning decrease. I am 37 weeks, and I feel that moving on to birthing is accepting the way things are. I could birth them breech in the hospital here, but I think I"ll feel more comfortable at home and hopefully safer. I'm concerned to be in a hospital with a lot of nervous people who don't really believe in birth, who will be waiting to intervene at any point. Right now, that worries me more than a breech twin home birth. The reality is that neither a home breech or hospital breech birth thrills me, but I don't have a choice right now to choose head-down, so I need to figure out which breech birth option sounds best.

Moonwomb: Will the OB be comfortable with you birthing twin B breech or will they extract the baby? Here, they often reach in minutes of twin A's birth, grab twin B and pull the baby out. In order to do this they need an epidural, cathetor, continuous monitoring, IV in place. I got my hospital to agree not to do this (because I refused to have it down to me), but unfortunately it is the norm here for breech twin B.

#24 ·
Hi Mamas,

I just wanted to wish you all great births of your twins!

My baby B was head down, and after A was born, he turned transverse and became impacted quite rapidly, but was easily turned head down. I could have delivered him either breech or vertex, but his head was pointed toward my hip, so he was moved to the head down position.

I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you, and wishing you great births!

Reactions: MoonWomb
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.