Mothering Forum banner

Signs of labor

7K views 98 replies 15 participants last post by  funfunkyfantastic 
#1 ·
I noticed a lot of you seem to be getting close, so I thought this might be fun for discussing our signs and symptoms of labor.

I'll be starting epo on Saturday to try to get ready. The brand I ordered is supposed to be really good for labor prep, so *fingers crossed*!!

#2 ·
I've always done epo too, but I read, this time, that it's been shown to actually increase the length of labour, so, the end. For me. :p
I've been having prodromal labour for more than a week now. Starting to get discouraged and feel like I might be pregnant FOREVER. Discharge has changed to more liquidy, but no mucous plug (never have noticed it in past labours either though). I've been checking myself, which is weird, because I'm used to checking other people, and although some things are favorable (soft and stretchy, pretty effaced), the babe is still higher than I'd like and my cervix is totally reachable, but still behind babe's head. So. So. Also, cervical checks sort of mean nothing. So, there's that. I'm just miserable and uncomfortable and so, so, so tempted to *do* something about this. But, also trying to remember that I'm still "early" in the term game, really. And, you know that quote from Princess Bride, about rushing a miracle? (how it gives you a rotten miracle?). Trying to remember that too. They come in their own time. I just hope it's soon!

#3 ·
Yep I know what you mean. No one wants a rotten miracle or a prolonged and difficult labor. Epo actually worked great with me last time when I had to be induced. My cervix ended up being nice and soft and I went right on into labor with the Foley catheter and was done in 11 hours. My goal this time is 6 hours, but who knows? Hopefully baby will come on her own before 39 weeks so I don't have to do the induction.

#4 ·
I thought I read somewhere that when the baby's lungs are fully developed the baby itself releases some hormone that triggers labor. But maybe this was just a theory? Anyone know if this is true or kinda based on some facts?

Anyway, my birthday is in May, oldest son's birthday is in June, second son's birthday is in July and so I'm determined to have this one in August. Because a birthday in each month is a critically important goal for a family to achieve, right?

#6 ·
My LO's are Jan-Mar-June so we're good either way with this baby!

I walk every morning and this morning pushed to finish b/c it felt like if baby were any lower he would just come on out! His head felt like it was pushed up against my bladder, too. So...keeping up everyday with the routines, the house and feeding the family, etc.

I'm off to get an adjustment and then to finish the laundry!

It's a blessing this time around that life just goes on.:)

#7 ·
I'm 37w6days. There's a chance maybe, maybe, maybe I'm starting to lose some of my mucus plug. Not real sure.

I've been on my feet a ton and it feels good to feel the baby putting on the pressure. All the important baby laundry is done. Cloth diapers have been triple washed and hung on the line to dry. Just finished touch-up painting after husband did most of it. Hospital bag is packed. New car seat cover is on and straps are adjusted.

I keep finding myself standing and swaying whenever I'm doing something. Unconsciously working that baby down all the time.

I'm my mom's 4th child and she says near the end with me she rode the riding lawn mower endlessly. If we owned one I think we'd have the best kept lawn right now!

#9 ·
I'm 37w6days. . . I'm my mom's 4th child and she says near the end with me she rode the riding lawn mower endlessly. If we owned one I think we'd have the best kept lawn right now!
Exciting to hear you might have some progression! We have the same due date! If I could get the riding lawn mower to start I'd be on it too to mow the weeds- we did not water this year. Maybe he can start it when he gets home. I was just happy to make it through feeling good on a 5 mile hike for work yesterday. No more field days for me!

#8 ·
@Daisy8s exciting! Hopefully you'll be able to have that lo out soon. Haha, riding lawn mower, that sounds fun. The only thing I tend to ride around in is drive Carts during longer shopping trips. If I expect to be in and out I just walk.

Still wondering when splashing puddle will have her twins... amazing she's gotten so far with a twin pregnancy!

#11 ·
I've been losing bits of mucus plug for a week and a half, no contractions like I was having a couple weeks ago though. I'm 36 weeks today and hoping labor starts soon as I need to have these boys before 37 weeks to reduce risk of stillbirth and other complications due to cholestasis. Otherwise will have to induce. Feeling soooooo ready, measuring 53 weeks!!!

#14 ·
Last night I was awoken countless times by back labor type contractions. They weren't all that close together; I think I fell asleep between them, but they were really painful. And, each one seemed to go on forever. It was weird how long they lasted. I kept thinking, okay, I really need to wake the husband and get some help coping. But, then it'd let up and I'd fall asleep.

This morning he woke up all grumpy and said he'd had a terrible night's sleep. We figured out that I was pretty much thrashing around all night, probably even in my sleep, and making him miserable, too.

Let's hope we don't have more nights like this or it's gonna be a long two weeks till the due date.

Saw the OB today. Had a great conversation answering all my last questions about labor. Sounds like I can easily have everything I want. Namely, a quiet, dim room with nobody touching me or talking to me except the bare minimum so I can just focus on my body.

Of course then she commented that my BP was a bit high--it's been almost borderline for the last few appts. Not high enough to do anything but always high enough to talk about it. She sent me for blood work. She wasn't real worried though.

#15 ·
@Daisy8s luckily you're far enough along that they'll be less likely to induce you. It probably won't get high enough to cause concern before you go into labor especially since your body seems to be gearing up! I expect a full birth story soon ;-)

#16 ·
Yeah, I don't expect to be induced. She mentioned she was requiring the bloodwork because, "if I don't then I'll be questioned why I didn't". Knowing she was doing it more to cover her butt than out of real concern was reassuring. My BP has been about the same for the last two months.

#18 ·
For both of my previous pregnancies I've ended up having my membranes stripped after hitting 41 weeks & had the baby within 24 hours. They were born at 41.2 & 41.3 weeks. You have to be under 42 weeks to birth at my birth center and my husband has never been ok with home birth (we live very rural & far from a hospital, the birth center has one 3 minutes away). So I wouldn't even know what to do if my body just went in to labor on its own! But I'm really hoping for that this time.

#19 ·
I've had a sour stomach and lots of bathroom trips today. So far I am blaming the pressure from the full moon (supposed to be tomorrow) and not getting my hopes up that labor is imminent. But I'm mentioning it here anyway just in case. I am definitely emptying out but I have a hard time believing that it is bc I am close to labor as I'm only 38w5d and DD was born @ 42w2d... My bum hurts really bad from all of the activiy so I hope it doesn't last long. End of pregnancy is so glamorous!

#20 ·
Yesterday we started the day with sex and that led to a few hours of pretty intense contractions. They were regular enough for me to start timing them, but they faded away by 11:30. I stayed on my feet most of the day running errands but they never came back.

About 4:00 I decided to try the black and blue cohash. I rarely take any kind of medication, either homeopathic or medical, because everything affects my body more than other people. So, I only took half the recommended dosage. Nothing for a few hours but then around 7pm I started to feel all kinds of crampiness. Some were real contractions, others were just cramps. Stayed pretty miserable till went to sleep around 11ish.

Today I'm just achy, like all those cramps made everything sore. So, I'm not going to repeat the cohash today. Maybe I'll do it every other day this week. Generally if I take 1/4 the dosage that is recommended that's about right for me (half as much, half as often).

In addition to wanting this baby to come this week, I also really want the pushing phase to be easy and fast. I do hope all this is helping to tone my uterus toward that goal. I've tried to drink RRL tea throughout the pregnancy but ugh, I hate that stuff, plus it always gave me the worst heartburn.

#21 ·
I'm really hoping these dates and the epo are making a difference. I have no idea how to check myself, so I wouldn't be able to tell. I'm just hoping something is happening. I do feel more pain in my cervix lately. I'm not entirely sure if it's because baby is pushing on it or what. I figure it's a semi encouraging sign. Either way though the dates are like candy to me, so I really don't mind eating them.

Is Spd worsening a sign at all? Cus that's definitely happening. It doesn't seem to matter how closed my legs are. If i'm moving at all... it hurts. Nothing like a little candle flame to your pubic bone to brighten your day, right?

#22 ·
Yesterday I took a very bumpy bus ride to ikea and back and afterwards felt all moist. I think it's just urine, but then I got nervous and started thinking it might be my water... Just coming out slowly? Also, it's hot outside and I usually have a lot of discharge anyway...so I'm probably just being paranoid.

Has anyone had their water break and it just come out slowly, a little at a time?

#23 ·
My SPD is WAY worse these past few days too. I'm telling myself it is a sign, because it's the only good I can find in it! 38+3 today according to conception, 39 according to my doctor (WHY do they never believe women could actually know when they conceive!?).
My midwife arrived last night, and we did some positional stuff and a sweep today. I've now got bloody show and am losing my mucous plug, but that may or may not mean anything. I've been having prodromal labour for almost two weeks now, so it's hard to trust anything my body is doing right now! I'm sitting at ~80% effaced, 2-3cms dilated and baby is engaged, but not super low (~-1 station). So frustrating that all of those numbers don't actually mean anything - could sit like that for two more weeks, or could have a baby in a few hours. And there's no way to know! Such a mystery, this baby-having adventure.
I'm trying to just enjoy these movements and a baby in the belly. This child is so, so wanted, and I ached for him for years. Trying to just enjoy the last bit of the journey.

#24 ·
@quantumleap I am sure that you will soon be holding your precious baby in your arms!
@zzzzzzane I seem to have so much discharge during the last trimester that I have to wear a panty liner every day or I'll soak through my underwear... so glamorous! If you're concerned about it being your water, I'm sure you could go in to have it tested?

I really wish I had something about myself to post on this thread but I just feel like I still have at least 3-4 weeks to go.

#29 ·
39+3 today. I've been feeling crampy all weekend...it comes and goes. I've also been having a lot of anxiety lately. Now that I'm so close to my EDD, the realization of the work of labor is making me nervous. Up until last week I have been very confident about it! I've also been feeling very foggy...like my head is always in the clouds..Also, baby has been posterior for awhile. I've been trying to get her to turn and sometimes she does but she won't stay for very long :serious: I'm trying to be patient about it because I know sometimes they won't turn until labor begins. All I can do is keep praying about it!

I went into labor on my due date with my first and 2 days "late" with my second...so as my EDD approaches I wonder how accurate it will be for me. My mom is coming in Saturday to help me in any way she can. I think maybe that is causing my anxiety because she and I aren't close like that. She's a teacher so she needs to be back at school soon after my EDD so we just agreed to have her come in Saturday and if baby is here then she can help, otherwise she can help me with my boys until baby arrives. She would make a great babysitter during labor, but I sorta feel weird about her seeing me naked, lol. There's also a part of me that sees it from a sentimental side...a mother, watching her daughter birth her first daughter. That's pretty special for all of us.

#30 ·
@ldserrano you don't have to be naked for labor. I was with my first and I didn't feel comfortable either! You wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable while in labor whether that's a comfy nightgown or a lightweight dress, or even sweats that you just remove the bottoms for pushing. I plan to wear a comfortable dress for labor. I don't want to be naked and exposed again.

#33 ·
@funfunkyfantastic i know i don't have be naked, but I feel like I'll prefer to be naked. i live in west texas and it is hotter than hell down here and we don't have refrigerated air so my "air conditioner" only cools about 10-15 degrees cooler than the outside temperature

Just had a midwife appointment today and I had her check me, out of curiosity...I'm 3cm dilated and 90% effaced! YIKES! She said her head is far down enough she could feel the pulse. They are guessing she's already about 8# and approaching 9. I feel like I'm running out of room! I can feel everything and there's so much lower pressure. I know dilation doesn't mean labor is happening tonight or anything, but if she could show up soon, that would be nice!

Hubby came home early from work tonight with a stomach bug so I told him we don't have to have sex, HAHAHAHA. But he better be ready tomorrow! I'd hate to go into labor while he's not feeling 100%

#35 ·
Cannot wait to hear how it goes @ldserrano! So exciting that we're getting so close!

I haven't had any signs of labor until the last two nights...now I seem to have a few hours of bearable but very clear ctx and cramping from like 3-5am. Enough to keep me awake, worried that labor might be starting before I finish All The Things, but not enough to time or bother anyone else about it. I'm trying to just view it as my body doing lots of the labor work slowly over the next week-ish so that my actual labor will go fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.