Expats in Africa - very mainstream! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-12-2010, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it just me? Or the fact that we are in a former French colony and therefore most of the expat population is French? I find the expat people here incredibly mainstream and am feeling pretty isolated without any other tree-hugging expat soulmates to hang out with! The vast majority of expat moms here are formula feeding their babies and some have no problems buying the formula that is sold here (who knows what's in the stuff they sell here?). They are really surprised when I tell them that my baby was born at home (back in Europe, mind you, not here).

The exceptions are some of the moms from the US / Canada / Australia - but there are so few of them here.

I guess I'm just surprised. I figured that African expats would be granola parenting types, especially given that formula feeding means that you are dependent on bottled water here and you take a risk with the formula that is sold here. Plus breastmilk provides great antibodies against gastrointestinal bugs, which we get all the time here!

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#2 of 3 Old 05-15-2010, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I lived in Nigeria for 3 years, but in a mainly French compound, and yes, I found that most of the mothers were very mainstream -- formula feeding was big once the babies were a few months old. CIO was big. The mothers took care of themselves first -- they seemed to prioritize looking attractive and sexy for their husbands. I suppose that can be a good thing! But overall, yeah, very mainstream.

Globetrotting mama to DS (9) and DD (6)
#3 of 3 Old 11-30-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wagamama, I just noticed your reply.  I'm still feeling very isolated here.  So ironic given the sanitary conditions here and of course the local practices.  Sigh.

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page