Pregnancy in Africa - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-22-2010, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,

I'm an American ex-pat in Kenya for the next 9 months. My husband and I are considering TTC #1. We're really excited about it but we want to make sure we've thought of everything. We live on the coast, near Mombasa, so malaria is much less of a concern but I was wondering about the quality of pre-natal care in private Kenyan hospitals. I don't need anything fancy but I do want an ultrasound and decent screening.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. What haven't we considered? Any advice or cautions? So many people back home are against this plan but hundreds of Kenyan women give birth every day so it can't be that dangerous!!!

Thanks in advance,
E
#2 of 6 Old 10-02-2010, 12:13 AM

Well, I had most of my pregnancy in Tanzania. I was pretty far out and had to take the bus to Dar es Salaam to get an ultrasound and see a reputable doctor. Since you are close to Mombassa I think it will be a bit easier for you, and Kenya is a bit further along in some ways. I loved being pregnant in Africa as the culture accepts it as a very normal and healthy thing rather than an ailment. However, as I got closer to my due date the reality of living in the bush and having to take a bus for 8 hours to see a doctor started to worry me. My husband and I got the go-ahead to come to the states (he got a green card) and we decided to relocate. I ended up having complications in my birth and had to have a c-section despite my natural birth plan. I am not sure if I had stayed in TZ for the birth if things would have been okay without the c-section or if I would have had a real crisis. Overall, I loved being pregnant in Africa but am also glad we made the decision to return for the birth.
Good Luck, Kazi njema
#3 of 6 Old 10-09-2010, 02:55 AM

I agree with Mama.nesta: Kenya is often considered better medical care than Tanzania. The American Embassy would routinely send people to Nairobi for anything that required more serious medical care.

I wish I had more advice for you. I think sometimes it is necessary to step back and figure out WHY we are scared (or in your case, why are people back home so scared) and work from there to address specific concerns. Best of luck to you!

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#4 of 6 Old 10-09-2010, 09:22 PM

I was in Iringa and met my husband there. We hope to return to Tanzania some day in the future but I do think I will have another child here in the states before I return. Love East Africa though..
#5 of 6 Old 10-09-2010, 09:37 PM

nm

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#6 of 6 Old 12-11-2010, 04:36 PM

You can get excellent care in Nairobi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page