Kenya? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-12-2008, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone here from Kenya or visited recently?

My adult stepD is planning to do some volunteer work in Kenya next summer. I don't know the details. However, her dad, my DH, is a bit skeptical and I thought maybe I could do some information gathering to ease his mind a bit

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-30-2008, 03:27 AM

Hi
I am Kenyan, and had visted the country last month ( OCt) . Spend 4 weeks there with my 18 month old son. Let me know what you are looking for.
#3 of 6 Old 11-30-2008, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Hi! My husband is worried about the political climate, any ill feelings towards Americans, health issues...I guess all of it! LOL I've been doing my own fact-finding and I think she'll be OK. But he's worried.
#4 of 6 Old 12-02-2008, 01:58 AM

Hi
just lost my reply to you. will redo it over the weekend. it logged me out after replying
#5 of 6 Old 12-08-2008, 01:12 AM

Hi
the place is stable politically , but insecurity from robbers and thugs is rampant . It more common in Nairobi and major towns. Rurals areas are somwhat safe but i would still urge caution and for her to keep a low profile.

Kenyans are generally friendly and will welcome her. I hope she knows a group that will help her negotiate the country. I think she is well covered as a missionary . there are never problems for this group, they have a good name and they help people. No one wnats to cut the hand that feeds them.

Currrency. she should not have any notes of 1996 and preceding years. some banks refuse them while others charge a higher rate than normal. Forex bureaus offer the best rates. There are many in nairobi especially laong wabera st , mama Ngina st and Jomo kenyatta avenue

Of course the CDC does a good job on anti malaria info .She needs to be well equipped for this with the meds, mosquito nets as well as bug sprays.

water: Use bottled no matter what The kerriget brand is one of the best

Dressing; Long skirts , loose trousers, cleavege coverd etc, . I mention this due to the fact that there are areas where women are harrassed by men due to their dressing mode. It does not happen all over the country , but is a advisable to have afew of the suggested oufits. in addition, long sleeves/ skirts curtail bugs as well , and protect the skin from the sun. DEc to March is the hottest season.. Cotton fabric and easy to wash and wear works excellently. As a rule of thumb Kenyans are very conservative dressers compared to americans, although in Nairobi you find people dressed in all from of outfits.

hope this helps
rasc09
#6 of 6 Old 12-08-2008, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, it does indeed help! Thank you very very much I will send this info along to my husband and my step-daughter.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page