2Likes
  • 1 Post By nicolemusicmama
  • 1 Post By sarahl918

#1 of 7 Old 08-27-2015, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Prodromal Labor?

Hi Everyone, I was curious if anyone has experienced prodromal labor before? With my first pregnancy I was 4cm dilated for three weeks and when labor finally started, my contractions were undeniably active labor contractions. This second pregnancy so far has been different. I have had tons and tons of Braxton Hicks since 25ish weeks that can for the most part could be ignored but over the past month have slowly started to grab my attention more and more and have actually gotten pretty painful. I'm not very deligant when it comes to timing contractions but they certainly have seemed to come in a pattern and last for several hours (usually at night) and then slowly tapper off. The past week (I am now 38.5 weeks) I have been slowly losing my mucus plug and having lots of diarrhea (sorry, gross) and yesterday I literally thought I was in labor. I was having those cramping contractions and feeling incredibly hot, dizzy and nauseous. So much so that I couldn't think and had to lay down. I called my midwife and doula and they even were convinced that this was the real deal. After three hours of believing I was in labor, I took a shower to get ready for hospital only to find the contractions stopped and although my head still felt pretty weird and I was still pretty shaky, things were normal again. My doula had mentioned prodromal labor to me and I was wondering if that might have been what it was? It certainly wasn't active labor and it definitely didn't seem like normal Braxton Hicks! Then last night I kept being woken by painful contractions for a few hours about 10 minutes apart (I did time those, haha). Sorry for super long post, wanted to share and see what you all think. I was so convinced my labor would start the same way as last time, but my experience yesterday has me feeling like a first time mom all over again! Feeling nervous about knowing when to head to hospital an hour and 20 minutes drive away. Any advice, tips, stories much appreciated!
Erica13 likes this.

Last edited by nicolemusicmama; 08-29-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 08-27-2015, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have wondered about this too. This is my second pregnancy as well. I have also have been having BH since around 22-24 weeks, and in the last few weeks they have gotten a lot more frequent and a LOT stronger. They don't *quite* feel like labor contractions - yet - but they're more than just the usual tightening feeling. (I tried for a drug-free birth first time around, and after full labor + 4 hours in transition with a baby stuck high up, I feel pretty confident in what my personal active labor contractions feel like.) I have a friend who had prodromal labor for three weeks before her baby came. Let me ask her and see if she has any good input.
#3 of 7 Old 08-27-2015, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Oh - I do notice it's worse if I haven't had enough water. Dehydration, which I'm prone to, definitely is a trigger for me.

#4 of 7 Old 08-27-2015, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I had several episodes like that with my last birth -- several nights of thinking labor was starting just to have it fizzle out. I can say that it was obvious when labor really started but that didn't help those nights thinking that it was getting started.

I have had 2 nights so far where I realized I was getting some somewhat consistent connections but they were mild enough to ignore (though still annoying).
#5 of 7 Old 08-28-2015, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Yes! It's driving me crazy, as I keep thinking labor is starting and then it never gets regular or stronger. I've been having contractions off and on for about a week now (now every day). Last night I thought sure it was going to get started, but they were still sporadic during the night and today.

Mother to one baby boy born June 18th, 2013 and 2nd baby on the way, due Sept 2nd, 2015.
#6 of 7 Old 08-29-2015, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Glad I am not the only one! I forgot to mention that my doula also said the women she has cared for in the past that have had prodromal labor, also have very fast active labors... barely making it to hospital in time. I know it sounds crazy, but I really don't want a quick labor. It seems way too intense and stressful. Here is a good article I found on the subject:
http://experimentalwifery.com/2015/0...odromal-labor/
Good luck to you all that haven't delivered yet!
#7 of 7 Old 08-31-2015, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I'm with you ladies. I didn't have prodromal labor with my first, my labor started quite suddenly by having my water break and it was VERY obvious things were happening (I was 3 days "overdue" though). This time around I am noticing a lot more BH, but I wouldn't say they are painful, just tightening, pressure, etc. I can usually walk and talk through them. I am losing the plug bit by bit, and have been feeling so crummy the last few days - random nausea, frequent bathroom visits (of both kinds), hot flashes, even headaches. Baby has dropped some already, which my ribs are grateful for. I haven't yet felt like labor is starting, but then again I'm not quite 38 weeks. I do think this will be another quick labor for me, and I'm grateful that I won't have to factor in hospital drive time this go round.
Erica13 likes this.

Wife to DH, stay at home mama to DD1 (10.01.13) and DD2 (09.24.15)!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MTHFR Homo C677T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DD1 born 10.13, DD2 born 9.15

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page