Mothering Forum banner

lifestyle changes?

816 views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  tyness 
#1 ·
We know pregnancy comes with the obvious changes, no more wine with dinner, and for some no more coffee or way less coffee, but what is the hardest change you have to adjust to when pregnant?

My husband is a recovering alcoholic, so a glass of wine is few and far between for me anyways. My passion though is fitness and powerlifting. I had just reached one of my goals before we found out the good news and was training for a half marathon, but its very difficult for me to wrap my head around the mindset of pacing and monitoring my heart rate vs. speed and weight. I worked out until about 40w with ds, and I think it really helped me stay sane and mobile :) I've cut my weights back 50% and only run about 3 mile or 30 min stretches. I actually coach crossfit 3-5x a week, so I don't know how much longer its going to be before I have to tell them. I'll still be able to coach and everything, its just hard not to compete :-\

#2 ·
For me it's definitely my work out routine and being more on top of little meals. Usually about once a week I end up skipping lunch because I'm distracted with my 2 and by the time they're down for naps/rest I'm already eons away from the kitchen.
I love a good stint with the rowing machine, but I'm going to have to find some other exercised really soon here!

Narleegates, what sort of ab exercises will you maintain for the 1st trimester?

#3 ·
well, the more I read, the more I see about ab exercises putting you at higher risk for diastasis. I still do knees to elbows from the bar, which was my main form with DS1 as well, especially once pull ups were out. But from what I've read, anything that brings baby forward, like planking just puts more pressure on that midline of your abs increasing the chances of a split.

#6 ·
#9 ·
I do not drop coffee. I do tend to only have a cup in the afternoon though because in the morning it doesn't make me feel so good when I am pregnant. But no I need it. I am not super strict on all the silly rules mothers in America seem to be so concerned about. Many of them yes, but some are just over the top.

#10 ·
I thought I'd have to wean myself off coffee, but incredulously, I seem to have cut it out naturally because I cannot stand the smell! In fact, I have a very unsettled tummy this time around. Haven't had the chance to miss real ale yet because I haven't felt like drinking any. Fruits and veggies are my friends at the moment — I just sit around eating pineapple most of the morning. Lo! :grin:

#11 ·
I'm sick and it SUCKS not to take ibuprofen! I'm steering clear of sudafed too. Maybe it's silly but back in November I was pregnant, got a really nasty cold, took maximum sudafed so I could keep working etc, and miscarried. So right now I'm going easy on OTC meds and doing the resting my body demands.

#14 ·
I have not been drinking coffee (or caffeine) at all, but I have never wanted that energy boost more in my life! I was initially told to restrict all activities and exercise, but I am going to re-address that issue, but I had a healthy and positive scan, and I really need to move my body. I don't intend to keep to the same level of frequency or intensity of bicycling and strength training, but I will want to return to a regular routine. What else? We cannot always afford local and organic, but I am looking out for sales, and I am trying, in the least, to buy local meat.

#17 ·
Love it! DD is too heavy for me to comfortably carry on my back (40#) and maintain balance and good posture. She's a pretty good little hiker for a four year old though, so it will probably be a bigger challenge for me to keep up with her than the other way around by the end of the pregnancy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.