Mothering Forum banner

Coffee?

832 views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Mama2ChicknLil 
#1 · (Edited)
Yea or nay? I feel a bit guilty, but what would I do without a cup of coffee daily with a splash of heavy cream.

Especially since I'm sleeping poorly at night despite the luxury of sleeping alone (probably since conception). Is this happening to anyone else?

I would be especially interested in hearing a Chinese or TCM take on coffee because it seems China has the longest history of adapting to caffeine drinks. But any take will do.

I know coffee and tea aren't exactly the same for many reasons. Caffeine content is one. But I also read during my previous pregnancy that tea interferes more with iron absorption.

#2 ·
just based on "Expecting Better" I've convinced my husband to be ok with a daily latte. I haven't been taking him up on it most of the time just from inclination towards tea and water at the moment, but I'm in the 'yea' camp.
The author also seems fine with a glass of alcohol every so often, but there I'm sticking with the 'nay'.

#3 ·
I gave up coffee with my first pregnancy, which was easy. I tried to give it up during my second, lasted a few months and caved and felt guilty. Guilt is not good. This pregnancy I am embracing that I enjoy coffee and will have a cup when I feel like it. I have a high needs kid who sleeps poorly, a 2 year old, and am so tired. I feel no guilt this time.

However, I do listen to my body. It does not handle caffeine well in the morning when I want it the most. It drops my blood sugar faster and then I have the shakes. This happens pretty much as soon as the first pregnancy hormones flood my body. So I have it in the afternoon, which means some days I don't get too it.

I figure overall I eat pretty well, or at least I will when I am over being sick. I don't medicate my pregnancy, and I take good care of me and baby. Some caffeine is not the end of the word.

#4 ·
I think it's ok in small amounts. I have tried to give it up this pregnancy but cave when I get a headache. I figure a small cup of coffee is better than popping pills. 😉

#5 · (Edited)
DDC crashing from August, because coffee.
This link might be helpful for reference. http://www.ico.org/caffeine.asp
First pregnancy, I was super careful and gave up everything on the "naughty list." Coffee wasn't that hard because despite working full time, I wasn't totally caffeine dependent at the time (mostly because I was actually getting a good nights' sleep - you know, back in the days before kids).
Second pregnancy I gave it up at first but then developed migraines and discovered coffee was a surefire cure. I usually had one cup of coffee per day - usually just homemade, but sometimes I'd go for a latte at Peet's or another espresso drink.
Third pregnancy, same deal.
By the time this pregnancy rolled around, I was on a 2-3 cup per day habit (three kids will do that to you), but sadly, the sight, smell and taste of coffee all triggered my morning sickness BAD in the first trimester. So I was off for awhile. I'm back to 1 cup per day (sometimes 2...but they're small) with some heavy cream (yum!). My midwives say 1 or 2 cups per day are okay. Since I'm brewing at home with a percolator, I just use less grounds so it's weaker than I usually drink..but it gets the job done.
FWIW - all my babies have been good weight for their gestational age and didn't seem to have hyper heart rates (to my knowledge those are the main concerns about too much caffeine in pregnancy).

#7 ·
I miss coffee, or actually, I miss enjoying it. I had every intention of keeping my cup or 2 per day but no how, no way, can my stomach tolerate it. :(

#11 ·
Expecting Better looks fun. That is interesting that pregnant women take longer to metabolize coffee (in the link lightheartedmom posted, I believe). Maybe that is connected to my insomnia. Between pregnancy, nursing, and needing to flush out coffee, maybe I should just move into the bathroom for the next 9 months. Too bad we don't live in the suburbs where bathrooms can be as big as our living room is. Also interesting about the relative caffeine contents of drip vs perc. I was thinking of switching to chemex drip (the glass things) to avoid plastic exposure from the coffeemaker. But with a small child, limited counter space, & a schedule that's not my own, that's probably more wishful thinking than anything else.

#12 ·
Coffee turned my stomach for the first trimester with my son and then around 6 months I suddenly couldn't get enough of it. Now I'm not exactly turned off by it but I'm not at all interested. I could drink a cup but, meh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.