Mothering Forum banner

Controlling weight gain in a healthy way

819 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Tanja Sofia Krupa 
#1 ·
I'm almost 13 weeks pregnant with my 2nd. I started this pregnancy weighing 25 pounds more than I weighed the first go-round (and wasn't super skinny then). At the doctor yesterday at 12 weeks, I was already less than 10 pounds from my first weight at delivery! Please don't misunderstand - I believe in letting our bodies do what they need to do, and I believe it is beautiful. But, I'm concerned that I didn't start this pregnancy in very good shape. I'd like to keep my weight gain under control, yet so far I pretty much crave carbs (and sweet tea!!) and have miserable indigestion or aversions with veggies! And obviously know I need to exercise, but must... nap...

Any tips for staying healthy (and even adopting some gentle new habits) in the midst of raging pregnancy hormones and fatigue?

#2 ·
Trying drinking a glass of water when you have the urge to snack. I know I personally have a body that sends weird signals, and I only feel thirsty when I'm *really* dehydrated. My snacking signal actually means I need water. If you drink a glass of water, wait 1-15 minutes, and are still hungry, then go get a healthy snack (fruit, peanut butter, etc.). If you have a time of day that food seems more palatable, try to take advantage and get something that has protein and fiber in it to sustain you.

Walk whenever you can. Thirty minutes a day, not even consecutively, is good for health. It won't cause weight loss, but just that amount is preventative for a whole lot of issues. Light exercise can help combat some of the fatigue, as well. I am finally reaching the end of my fatigue fog, so it's easier said than done. :wink:

#3 ·
I'm feeling the same way. Ifluffy flamingo has some really great tips. Don't be too hard on yourself in this stage. Try to focus on something outside of you... Take a picture of your other lo every day, go for a walk, write an elderly family member a card. I give myself lots of leeway the first trimester. Try to say no to desserts because let's face it if my kids are like I did today they'd be banned from cookies too. My consolation is that by about 14 weeks I can usually tolerate anything, and I plan to try a fair
Y tight greens-meats-gluten free diet for a bit. Plan to, I might or might not get Round to it but it makes me feel better about all this white flour I'm eating :)

#4 ·
I was strictly Paleo before getting pregnant with this baby and that went out the window almost instantly...must, have, BREAD! I have gained about 15 lb already. I'm with you, knowing is important to listen to our bodies and respect what they need right now is key, but oh so hard. There is some research showing that women (yes, even primal indigenous women) are averse to meats and vegetable during the first trimester because of the delicate growth baby is undergoing...those foods can easily harbor bacteria and also they can rot and go bad. Which might explain when processed foods become a popular go to in this stage: they last forever! Or bodies evolve slowly and haven't quote gotten used to the idea that roar foods are poisonous, I guess. At this point in just trying to choose the lesser of evils, sprouted grain bread, no sugar added, etc. And I'm definitely beginning to feel more normal at 14 weeks. That combined with the fact that I have more energy now mis helping helping slow things down. Good luck mama ♡

#5 ·
I am feeling you. I went into this pregnancy overweight by about 30 lbs. Aside from re-framing and shifting my thinking, I am also trying to stay active. Of course, it is already a lot harder than before I was pregnant. Walking really does make a difference for energy (and fatigue can make it hard to control snacking, and unhealthy cravings). Hydration has also been mentioned. You might also consider a pre-natal yoga or swimming class. I find it really helpful to feel strong. It can help change your perspective on your changing body. o, and I know it is not always easy, but a regular sleep hygiene routine is also really important for health and weight management.

#6 ·
I'm having the opposite problem. My MS was so fierce that I'm -12 pounds from my starting point, which I guess puts me at a healthy weight overall, but my midwife insists that I gain 2 pounds this month. It's so hard when I'm still sick after 5pm and have issues with large meals and lots of fat...But I sort of had this issue with other two and ended up +20 by the time it was all said and done...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.