Mothering Forum banner

Pregnant in the summer, newborn once it's cold?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  FluffyFlamingo 
#1 ·
Ha know, it hit me this weekend (along with a major heat wave in my town) that we are all going to be pregnant up through the biggest part of the heat. And then (at least here) it starts to get so cold that there are less opportunities to take babies outside in the sunshine. Phoo.

Anyone have any ideas or tips?

I'm just hot and tired and achy. And looking forward to a cold drink of water once I get this laundry folded.

#3 ·
Hi there @weliveintheforest ! all in favor of ideas, from every quarter. It's hot today, and we have three more days of this to live through before it's over. I'm seriously about to go buy a fan and a bottle of mint lotion though that's a good idea. We have fans, but my girls are sleeping too low to the floor for them to be directly in line for the breeze. Quite unfair all around as it eliminates naps (everyone is too hot to sleep).

#4 ·
It was 104 today here and 7 of the next 10 days are over 100. Cool showers, fans and cold water save me (I have a sept baby too). I plan on keeping family at home through the spring to avoid cold season after baby comes....

#5 ·
It has been cool enough here to open windows with fans at night and keep shades down during the day...house is about 78 degrees. We have a kiddie pool in the backyard and have made our own popsicles. Trying to take walks in the early morning. I have a 3 yo, so once the baby is born, we will have to trudge outside so my son can shovel and sled. On the days my son goes to preschool, I plan to sit on the couch watching Netflix and nursing and napping :)

#6 ·
Ugh! I know!! My first daughter was born in January, and it was snowy and miserable - I felt like we spent her early months in a cold, dark cave. I'm hoping that this time around, there will still be some nice-ish weather in October and November here in NC.

But the heat is horrible! All I can do is plot the next trip to a pool. I was telling my mom how hard it is to tolerate the heat this summer while pregnant, and she said, "Well, it's only going to get worse." That helped.:crying:

#7 ·
I actually quite like this situation and we choose to get pregnant in January anticipating the summer heat! I work full time and love that this way I'm off on maternity leave and get to NOT work on all of the holidays. Also, we're in southern California, and while it does get hot, the humidity is almost zero, so it's tolerable. We have a pool in our apartment building and we use it daily, excersize while staying cool! Also, not gonna lie, love being able to wear a bikini and not care one bit about my gut :) nice thing is that then baby is out in the winter (though honestly if this year is anything like last we'll be wearing sandals and sun dresses all year) and I have an excuse to wear baggy, comfy clothing!

#9 ·
Even when we get cold spells, winter is typically sunny and pleasant here in central Texas. The summers are brutal, but thanks to the El Nino rain (and flooding, alas) it hasn't gotten ridiculously hot yet. Yay! My biggest concern rather than temperatures is that we'll have newborns right at the start of flu season - and mine at least will start daycare in January AND I'll have a kindergartener bringing home all sorts of lovely crapola from school.

I figure having a little snuggly heater for my chest sounds lovely for the cold weather!

I plan on spending lots of time this summer in the neighborhood pool...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.