Mothering Forum banner

Are you enjoying being pregnant?

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  mrsgail 
#1 ·
Just curious how you mamas are feeling about pregnancy!

With DD1, I loved pregnancy so much that I didn't want it to end! I had some very real sadness as time marched on, savoring every moment of this miracle I had dreamed of for so many years. It was incredible. (BTW if any mamas are going through this now, Mother Nature has a way of changing your mind as you get closer to your due date! :grinning:)

But this time? Meh! I'm just ready to get on with things, get my energy back, get on with my new family life! I'm VERY thankful to be pregnant (I'm 41 and my docs had not been very encouraging), and I'm thrilled to be adding to our little family. But I'm surprised that most of the time, the pregnancy itself seems like something of a nuisance! The weight, the pain (my hips and pelvis are in bad shape), the fatigue, the awkwardness, the HEAT, the stress of chasing an active 3.5YO when I just want to sleeeeep. I'm excited every Friday to tick off another week. And this will be my last pregnancy - I want to savor it, but it's much harder this time around! I feel guilty admitting it and want to commit to some activities to nurture myself and the baby along this journey.

We all come to this forum from different places and circumstances, and we're here to support each other - just curious where you are!

See less See more
#2 ·
I agree- the first pregnancy was amazing for me too [emoji4] this time, while I enjoy parts of it like the kicks, and the anticipation of meeting my sweet girl... I'm just ready to get to the finish line! I've been much more uncomfortable this time, which is why I'm just so ready to have this baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I enjoyed my first pregnancy, but worried a lot. This time, I feel like I am more laid-back and feel more comfortable with my midwife. I also feel like I know a lttle more what to expect and I read different books. It is hard to keep up with my 3 year old and I look forward to being able to run, jump, hold him on my lap comfortably, and lay on my back!

#5 ·
I truly do not enjoy being pregnant :( I want to be able to eat normally and have my energy levels return to what they usually are! I enjoy the kicks, the fun little moments I get to share with just my daughter, but I am of the belief that pregnancy is 20 weeks too long...come on evolution, get it together!

#12 ·
Amen sister. No, I do not like being pregnant. At all. I am grateful and thankful and looking forward to having another child but I hate pregnancy. I hated it the other four times, too! I am sick the whole time and my pubic symphis pain is just getting revved up. My hip bones grind together and hurt all the time. Ugh. But I am happy to be healthy and have a healthy baby girl growing away. It's just really tough emotionally since I am not with the baby's father anymore; he already has a new girlfriend. Ugh. My ex-husband is being flaky, as always, so I shouldn't be surprised at that. I live with my parents and will for the foreseeable future. I am thankful for that as many women in my position don't have that luxury. I'm sick of the credit card company calling; no, I don't have a job so I can't pay my minimum payment. No, it's my ex-husband's debt and he won't get a job so I don't know what you expect me to do. I have truckloads of blessings to be thankful for: my four kids are healthy, my parents are happy we live here, I am healthy (although I feel gross all the time), my kids are excited about starting a new school, my crappy old van is still running (although I don't know how), and we have enough food to eat. It's just hard for me to maintain a healthy perspective when pregnancy symptoms get overwhelming and my financial situation grabs me by the throat and says, "Hi there! You are seriously in debt! You'll never be able to climb your way out of the pit your ex-husband threw you into! Have a nice day!" Sigh. Long-winded answer to a simple question.

#7 ·
This pregnancy I feel like..... well, terrible. I puked every day for 20 weeks (never threw up more than a few times in a pregnancy) and still throw up about once a week. I am TIRED like crazy tired, like I don't know what is wrong kind of tired. I am short of breath, feel bloated and disgusting all the time. I can't believe I have at least 12 weeks left. On the other hand, I am not exercising and eating terrible and have 3 kids to chase after and not sleeping and didn't plan this pregnancy and am old.... well, 36.

What i am glad about.... how lucky I am to have this wonderful little person who will soon bless my life. I wanted a 4th SOOOOO bad and dh didn't and while the beginning was sad, he is getting excited and I am too. I need to remind myself of the good stuff and need to stop eating candy all the time. How do you ladies do it when you are tires and not motivated to cook/ eat healthy?

#8 ·
Oh you mamas of multiples! I am so impressed. Don't know how you do it.
Being pregnant isn't as bad as I feared. The first one was so tough for little reasons like the wrong ligaments loosening, etc. The second has been easier in many respects - thank goodness - but harder with # 1 around - a tailbone suddenly 'going out' isn't just painful anymore! And while I don't make time religiously for yoga - all the squats cleaning food off the floor must count for something?! Right?

Eating has taken a beating. I cook healthy but feed my little one most of the calorific stuff. Have been trying to compensate by falling back on 'building blocks' - my stash of frozen pre-cooked meat, greek yogurt, heavy cream, raw butter, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, cubes of raw milk cheese, sprouted trail mix, alllll the vitamin pills I can stand, occasional protein shakes, pregnancy tea, fish oil - things I can eat standing up and then the cooking is mostly for the family, I guess. Just getting the bases covered :D

#9 ·
I really didn't think my other two pregnancies were super fun, but I definitely enjoyed them more than this one. Probably a lot of this is circumstantial and the rest is because I'm a lot older this time. Last time I was pregnant, I was 24, now I'm 36. First half of this pregnancy, I was pretty sick, a lot sicker than my last one. My younger ds has down syndrome and was born with heart defects (didn't know about them prenatally though), so getting through all the prenatal testing was very stressful. I hate hospitals and I have white coat syndrome and ended up in tears at every appointment, not just from the worry over the prenatal testing, but fighting with the hospital-based providers over my white coat hypertension (bp is fine at home, they still wanted to put me on meds). I'm finally on the other side of the testing and little girl is healthy with none of the issues her brother had and because of that, I was able to switch to a homebirth midwife. Things have been a lot less stressful since and I'm feeling a lot better so I guess I can finally just have a "normal" pregnancy. I'm 25 weeks now, maybe I can just enjoy the last 15 ish weeks now.

#10 ·
I am enjoying this pregnancy! It's #4 for me and I am so grateful to be pregnant at 43. I can't wait to have a baby with my partner - my other 3 were with my former husband. I love all the preparations, and I really enjoy having a baby in my belly. I do miss some things but overall I am trying to stay in the moment as this is likely my last pregnancy.

#11 ·
This is my third pregnancy, although #2 was an early miscarriage. This one was miserable until week 19, but since then it has been SO MUCH EASIER than my first! I've actually had that second trimester honeymoon people talk about. I'm a little achy and a little sleepy, but all in all I feel awesome. My skin is prone to breakouts; it's been clear for months! If my first had been this easy, I would have started trying for #2 way sooner. I know I'm not done yet, but I'm reveling in the now.

#14 ·
Wow @percyfoster I hope things get better!! I'm on #4 , my second with my husband (my first two were from a previous life and it was 10 years between #2 and #3 ) And the only one that wasn't a horrible pregnancy was #2 , the only girl. I am definitely ready to be done though I keep telling myself too to try to enjoy it because it's the last time... I still am just ready to be done and have the little guy in my arms!!

#15 ·
I loved being pregnant with my first baby (born May 2014), but I've been so busy with taking care of him, working and taking care of the house that I've barely thought about being pregnant this time. I haven't had any pregnancy symptoms whatsoever--no sickness, no fatigue, no leg cramps, or shortness of breath. In fact, I shock myself when I look down at my belly a couple times a day and think "Oh yeah, I'm pregnant." It's so weird. I'll be 30 weeks tomorrow and have truly barely thought about the baby. My husband calls this baby the "forgotten child." That makes me sad because I thought about my first baby constantly. It's little kicks reminds me that it is there, but I don't do any daydreaming about it. :( I know this will change once he/she is here, because it won't be possible to forget it, but I feel quite guilty about it now. My son has been quite a difficult baby, but seems to have "turned a corner" this week. For 4 days now, he has been eating really good and sleeping almost through the night. (Yeah, we haven't made it all the way through a night yet and he's 14 months... :) ) I've been overwhelmed at the thought of another one so soon, but with him being easier this week, I'm getting a bit of confidence back. Also, I get to quit my job for good next week, so that will make life a lot easier!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.