Mothering Forum banner

How do you afford hypnobabies mp3s?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Fox-fern 
#1 ·
I can't find the hypnobabies thread that was here a few weeks ago. Either it was removed, or I didn't look long enough, or I just can't concentrate with the pain in my side (sciatica) and my foot (ouch! worse than usual today...maybe this is what they mean when they say varicose veins will get worse as I get more pregnant). Anyway, I decided to look at the Hypnobabies website to see how much the mp3s cost, so I can know if I can afford any of it. The cheapest mp3s are more than $16 each for only a single mp3! The home study courses are $161.95! That's way more than I can afford. Personally I get $20 every 3 weeks from my husband, and sometimes he buys things for me with family money but if I saved up the $161.95 to buy a home study course, I wouldn't be pregnant anymore (unless I'm pregnant with #6 ) by the time I'm done saving my twenties. The only time in recent memory he's spent that much money on anything I want - not from the grocery store, not a necessity for our family - is when he bought the Committed to Cloth stash from Etsy so I wouldn't have to keep buying plastic based pantiliners and pads. Anyway, I'm not saying all this to complain about how money works in my family, but rather to ask how anyone affords the high prices for mp3s or courses for Hypnobabies. Do you know of any other way to buy or obtain Hypnobabies mp3s or CDs than to pay the high prices on the official website?

#3 ·
Thank you, persephassa. I've heard mixed opinions about the morality of pirating, so I was hoping to save that as a last resort. I just looked at the Hypnobabies Store website again and saw the two home study course bundles, and lots of mp3s, but no books. Will you please link to the book you're talking about?

#5 · (Edited)
I am not in your ddc, but I got mine off of ebay. With a little patience you could get them for around $90 and I think they have sold for even lower than that on there.

ETA: they were a huge help for me. I ended up with an unplanned unassisted and the big help for me was a bit before and after transition (I did not listen during transition but even when not listening I knew that all was ok and I was safe). Especially after transition, I had no fear, only peace which was something I really wanted for this birth.

Reactions: Catholic Mama
#6 ·
I have no experience with Hypnobabies or hypnobirthing abut I wanted to add my opinion. I believe the company is immoral for charging those prices. If they believe their product is beneficial, then more women deserve access to it that just those that can afford the sticker price. Pirate it. It's not more or less immoral than the company charging those prices anyway, imo.

Sure, if you could borrow them from someone that would be nice. Having someone burn you a copy of theirs is not much different to the company than downloading a copy from someone online.

Maybe sort of irrelevant, but the creator of Minecraft once said that he didn't care if people played his game illegally. He specifically said "If you love it, steal it." All that mattered to him was that people who loved his game could play it. So when we were broke, I played a unofficial copy of Minecraft. Later, when our financial situation improved, I bought it, because I knew he had this philosophy about gaming. It increased my respect for him.

I have little respect for Hypnobabies, now, knowing they charge that kind of money. Sheesh. If I used Hypnobabies, I'd gladly share with you, but I do not.

#7 ·
We are pretty late in the game and you have already been through the hardest part of it I think. Wouldn't spring for the whole course at this point. It is FAR cheaper than seeing a hypnotist or hypnotherapist 1on1 though.
I downloaded just the Breech track and may also get the Turn, posterior baby track. Use the coupon code HYPNOMP3 for 50% off.

#8 ·
Thank you Incubator!

I know plenty of mothers where we go to church, but (at least when talking with me) they aren't very open about their pregnancies or births, and I doubt that any of them use hypnobabies, or I would ask if I could borrow a CD. It's a nice idea, but I really would have no idea who to ask.

carnelianlight, my impression was that hypnobabies is helpful mainly when it's time to give birth to baby, when mama is in labor. For a six-week course, I might be late, but I was hoping to get a little more acquainted with it so I can use it when in labor in November. I've had fairly good births and I've been pretty confident, even looking forward to my daughter's birth (as I consider it to be easier than taking care of the baby after the birth, and my OB/GYN in the state we used to live in complimented me on how calm and in control I was with at least one of the last two births) but with the pain I've been having in my back and hips this time, I'm a little less confident about how I will handle the inevitable pain of giving birth. I'm trying not to worry about it, though, and I'm sure that even if I can't obtain anything hypnobabies-related, if I can get to the hospital in time, baby and I will be all right.

Thanks persephassa, I might buy that book.

#9 ·
We couldn't have afforded them either for my last birth. I had a friend burn copies for me. Her husband scanned the whole book page by page into PDF format and she sent me those too. Now if I can only get my ancient laptop working so I can get those files off of it. Ask around your local friends and see if anyone has a copy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.