Mothering Forum banner

Names!

4K views 54 replies 18 participants last post by  typebug 
#1 · (Edited)
'cause is it really ever too early to start talking about them?!

I feel like this might be one of the most fun, yet one of the most frustrating aspects of being pregnant or even ttc a child! It seems like it's all DH and I ever talk about and though it's usually really fun, sometimes we can get at it. :dizzy Any who, it's definitely one of my favorite things to talk about (especially with my girlfriends), so if you want to share, please do!

Also, will you find out the gender in advance or wait until the baby is born? Will you have a name in mind or name the baby once you've met them? Do you keep the name a secret from family and friends?

Girl: Stella Bird and her nickname will be "Birdie" because we just love that to pieces.

Boy: He loves Jackson and Miles. I love River, Hunter, Owen, Jude and Arlo. I think we might go with Miles Hunter and combine two names that we both love. I'm big on nicknames and I really like "Milo".

We can't wait to find out what we're having and we will definitely choose a name before birth. We also like the idea of calling the baby a name while it's still in the womb. Then it feels really real!

Can't wait to hear everyone else's name ideas if you're willing to share! :love

See less See more
#2 ·
So we have the same issue - talking can be fun but sometimes we can get a little intense about names. LOL DH has some really weird rules for boy names and I don't like names of people I know and dislike!

Plan is to have two or three names for each gender ready, find our gender but not tell anyone else, and then choose the name that 'fits best' once the little one arrives.

Current front runners for boys are Ian and Owen with my maiden name as their middle.

Girls we don't really have true front runners, but I really like Lyra and Wren.

Reactions: RoseNoire
#3 ·
I love the name chat!

DH is pretty stern on Alexander, but there's no way that's happening.

The only boy name that I like so far is Leif (LAY-ph), but I'm not sure how I feel about it living in Canada, since it's pretty weird here. DH is from Sweden, so we have a Swedish last name, and if it's a boy it's middle name will be Torstan after his grandfather... that's a pretty crazy name for a Canadian people to manage. Kids with unusual names really have to own them, which is a lot of pressure. DH says we'll just call him LT.

We already have a daughter so we used the name we loved for a girl, which means we'll have to reassess. DH says Zoe if it's a girl, but I'm not sure.

#7 ·
Last time we didn't find out gender (and won't this time either though I am rather dying of curiosity) and had a little list of names for each. When my son was born he was definitely not ANY of the names we had. It was so funny. He was just "baby" for three days and then we had to scramble because he needed to be identified as a Canadian born abroad and needed a passport and visa and crap so we had a family brainstorm with my parents and a name from way back on my mothers side materialized and that was perfect. Sometimes it takes a process and an actual baby to make the choice. ;)

I love Cora, and it's from the same era as my Son's name and fits with our very British last name so it would be a cute pair... but DH hates it! So funny how names hit people differently.

I've been going through a book and there were a few other ideas that made my short list

Eleni
Elise
Emlyn
Hailey
Malia
Nadia

Boys I had

Corin
Chase
... and I got stumped. :)

#8 ·
We won't do any ultrasounds unless there's an indication one is needed, so we won't know gender until the birth :) We didn't have any ultrasounds with DS either, so we didn't know. We had a few names picked out for both, but then once he was born we took a few days to get to know him before we really decided. I loved that process of being able to see the little person and make sure the name really fit him.
I've been actually thinking of giving DS a second middle name. I don't know why, I just really wish we had and now I want to give the other kids 2 and I feel like it would be weird if he didn't. But now that he's almost 2 I feel like it would REALLY have to fit him, and we don't have anything perfect yet. Is that weird anyway? To add a middle name to your toddler?

We had a 'baby' name too, when I was pregnant, we called the baby "Cloud" - from one of our many arguments about names. I always wanted hippy, nature names and DH pretty much didn't like any of them, so I suggested Cedar Cloud one day to throw him off :) Cloud stuck as our baby name until he born. It was nice to have something to call him(/her).

We haven't done much talking yet this time... It's funny how now that our son is named, I feel like I can't even remember any other boys names we liked!

#9 ·
with our first pregnancy, we picked out family related boy names and girl names. We used the girl name (feminine form of great grandfathers name), and the boy name (my maiden name) is still standing if this one turns out to be a boy. I know some people don't do that - the name was chosen for another pregnancy - but it's family related not individual related so I'm ok with it.

that means we are only thinking of girl names this time around. DH likes Alienore. I like it too, except for the word "alien" in it! I love it as a variation on Eleanor, but worry about non-standard spelling and constantly having to "correct" people's spelling. It would be really cool to have a name that begins with Al for Alfred, so then both daughters would be named after their great grandfathers.

#11 ·
Also, I have this gut feeling that the baby is a boy. So does DH and my MIL (though I think they're just having wishful preferences). Does anyone else have this or have you had this in the past and has it worked out in the end? It's such a weird intuition and I'm wondering if it's real or just all in my head. :idea

#13 ·
I'm feeling "girl" but I was totally wrong last time. :)

#15 ·
DH and I are so opposites when it comes to names. I grew up with an extremely common first and last name, and so I am drawn to more unique and hippie-ish names. He grew up with a very common first name but a very difficult last name, and so he prefers very common names to counter the difficult last name.

DS was named after my grandfather, but his name is like the most popular name in Canada and the US (Liam) which bugs me a bit.

For baby 2, our contenders are:

GIRL: River, Kaitlin, Beatrice, Rowan, Willow, Rosalie, Briar.
BOY: Rowan, Connor, August, Griffin, Finn/Finnigan

Both DH and I feel Girl this time, and River has become our favourite, so that's the plan right now :)

#17 ·
We were also convinced it was a boy last time. We didn't have an ultrasound, so we didn't know until birth, but towards the end we were pretty sure it was a girl. Something about the way she moved about and responded to her daddy. :)

#18 · (Edited)
Teles! !!! My husband is from Swe too!!!
And we added Leif to the list this weekend. Also not sure how it would be pronounced here...
We have his Finnish last name, 3 syllables- so we are looking for one syllable names.
So far: ( not all are one syllable)
Malcolm Douglas
Henrik
Max
Leif
Theo
Chase

Zia
Violet ( Vi)
Elora
Sofia ( Fia)
Isabel (Izzy)

#19 ·
Well seems like I'm in good company. I'm half Swedish, and also Finnish. Our baby's name is very Finnish, Mirja (my screen name) and we just love it. It's like Anja, with the J behaving like a y.
While none of our other four kids have very ethnic names, most being within the top 200 American name, we have really enjoyed the history of using a family heritage name, and are thinking of something similar this time.

Our names are
Svea
Davor
Freja
Torsten
Elin

But we might not, then we would use something like one of these

Davis
Soren
Gretna
Jessa
Gemma
Saunder

#20 ·
Well seems like I'm in good company. I'm half Swedish, and also Finnish. Our baby's name is very Finnish, Mirja (my screen name) and we just love it. It's like Anja, with the J behaving like a y.
While none of our other four kids have very ethnic names, most being within the top 200 American name, we have really enjoyed the history of using a family heritage name, and are thinking of something similar this time.

Our names are
Svea
Davor
Freja
Torsten
Elin

But we might not, then we would use something like one of these

Davis
Soren
Gretna
Jessa
Gemma
Saunder
Gemma is one of my favorite names ever! :)

#22 ·
Last time I just knew it was a girl, even though everyone else was just SO SURE it was a boy haha. We had the u/s but had them write it down and didn't look until I thought my husband might actually explode ~32 weeks. We initially agreed on Sophia Marie, but my DH kept saying Sophia Maria over and over, and so it switched over to Sophia Rose, and when she came out it just fit :) We had one name picked out for a boy, Stephen Nicholas (steve - en, not stef - en), in honor of DH's uncle Stephen that died of cancer in case DD was a boy, and we will use it this time. If it's a girl we are screwed because we can't agree on a girl's name, at all. He is just so stuck on Lillian Marie, but all I hear is Lily AND Marie haha. Though Lily and Rose is so cute, I don't like the way "Lillian" looks. Maybe just Lily Marie? Ugh, now I'm ranting. :(

#23 ·
I love the Lilly marie or Lillian marie or even Lilliana marie. All so pretty. I think the floral names are so ethereal and fragrant, and natural. Love them all. When my fourth child was born she was just SUCH a pretty newborn. (I've had the spectrum) I felt like I had been delivered a beautiful imported hot house flower. I had never considered the name before, or even liked it, but I named her Violet. It's very fitting to her sweetness still at five.

Stephen with the ph is an awesome name. Our first child is named Stephen and it's been a winner. Very few Stephens and Stevens in classrooms these days.. Only sometimes do people mispronounce it. Often times Spanish speakers I find... We picked it from the bible and liked the spelling. It's a great strong name with a hint of masculine softness, we adore it. Many good Easter European king Stephens through history as well...

I just found another name I love, a German name, Karsta, which means Christian and fits us.

I think my favorites are now
Karsta Karin
Davis Michael
Soren .....

I'm now hoping for yet another girl so we can use Karsta

We have a common last name starting with J. I add that in case anyone is afraid little Karsta would have the initials kkk. Don't worry, it will be KKJ.

#26 ·
@Mirja123 , we watch Supernatural so the idea that Lillith is the oldest demon and a real bitch is all I can think of when I hear the name haha. I guess Lillian wouldn't be bad because I know I'd never call her that anyways, just like I almost never use Sophia. I do really like the flower names too, they're just so beautiful.

#31 ·
Can we revive this thread?! Now that some of us know genders, and all of us are almost or over halfway there how is the name game going for everyone? Does anyone have the 'perfect' one picked? A list of possible contenders? I find that committing to a name is really difficult, but my husband is pretty stuck on one we talked about a few months ago....

How's everyone else doing in this department?

#32 ·
I'm back to just having some girls names again. I suck at naming boys apparently.

Cora
Emeline - Emi for short
Evangeline - Evie for short

The middle name I wanted to use is Irene (pronounced the Welsh way "Ireenie") but it's a mouthful with my multi syllable first name picks. Husband doesn't love any of them. I give up on him. I'll make my name list and probably not tell him any of them until we are holding our baby. ;)

Reactions: mamadance84
#33 ·
My husband and I are struggling with a name for this baby.

This little girl is our surprise #3 . #1 is named after my grandfather, the beloved patriarch of my maternal family who was still alive when my son was born. In my family with a STRONG tradition of family names, he also shares this first name with my uncle and there are two others who have the same middle name, plus several farther-back ancestors. His middle name is from my husband's birth name (changed when he was adopted). #2 has my first name (and my aunt's who I was named for plus other ancestors) for her first name and my mom's name for her middle. But what to do for #3 ? We don't have any other female family names (from any of our many family branches) we really love or any individual we're dying to honor except someone named James. However, given the weightiness of the family names the other two have we want to give this one something equally special and connected to our history.

With my first two, I knew as soon as I learned their sex what their names would be. And we had a boy name with a great family history ready (not used last time with my daughter): Miles. But nothing for a girl!

One name we've thought of that I think we may fall back on is Grace -- this is my half sister from my dad's second marriage's middle name so there is a family connection. Although I like it, I don't love this name, partly because although I love the concept of Grace I associate the name with meek dutifully religious girls more than with strong women. Also, it is much more popular than either of my other two's names, both of which are rare though not unheard of.

Other names I like are Nell and Jane, but my husband does not like these at all. He likes Julie, which I don't particularly. I tend to like shorter names--both other kids' first and middle names are 5 letters each.

I guess we'll think of something....

#34 ·
DH and I have a short list of names and agree on the middle name, but currently prefer a different first name on the list.

My fave: Ian [my maiden name] [our last name]
His fave: Owen [my maiden name] [our last name]

Other names: Isaac (nn Ike)
Ryan
Joseph (nn Joey)

Oliver (nn Ollie)

I think we'll wait until he's here to determine which fits best tbh.

Reactions: typebug
#35 ·
We're in a huge slump about naming because we can't agree on anything.

He needs something that translates well into Swedish and Dutch, so that limits things a bit. I'm in love with Avery, but he refuses to budge because apparently "he'll end up joining a boat club and playing lacrosse". DH's top contenders are Viktor and Elias. I'm struggling with Viktor, and Elias (lee-AHS) sounds beautiful in Swedish but I don't like the sound of it in English so much, particularly because he would inevitably be called Eli.

This was so much less difficult with DD. Girls names are all awesome.

#38 ·
We're in a huge slump about naming because we can't agree on anything.

He needs something that translates well into Swedish and Dutch, so that limits things a bit. I'm in love with Avery, but he refuses to budge because apparently "he'll end up joining a boat club and playing lacrosse". DH's top contenders are Viktor and Elias. I'm struggling with Viktor, and Elias (lee-AHS) sounds beautiful in Swedish but I don't like the sound of it in English so much, particularly because he would inevitably be called Eli.

This was so much less difficult with DD. Girls names are all awesome.
Hi Teles! Our son (now 8) is named Elias as is a family friend (6 yrs) we have both always had our pronunciation preferences honored and neither boy has been called Eli. That being said, it could come later as they get older, but I wouldn't worry too much if it's a name you love. All the Eli's I know are Elijahs. Good luck finding a name you both love!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.