Mothering Forum banner

Registry Essentials

3K views 50 replies 16 participants last post by  typebug 
#1 ·
I'm wondering (especially from those of you who are already mamas...) what were the most essential and useful things that you received from your registries or bought with your previous pregnancies? I know the basics of what people normally get/ask for, but sometimes the showers I go to seem crazy indulgent and excessive and half the stuff I doubt I would even use. I find that personally we tend to not really need a lot of stuff (and living in a city apartment, we don't really have the space for much) and I want to know what we're really going to use and how many of each item we should start out with. :wink Thanks!

#2 ·
The best advice I give new moms is to find an excellent consignment shop near you. Baby gear is bulky and often so specific for a certain stage that may only last a few months.

So, go ahead and register for newborn-specific stuff (bouncy chair, swing, co-sleeper, bassinet, or Moses basket, etc.). Then, as soon as your baby begins growing out of that particular thing, take it to the consignment store and upgrade to the next thing (bumbo seat, activity chair/tray thingy). Keep doing this as your baby grows.

With a little luck the money you make from selling one item will pay for the purchase of the next item. And, your home won't be cluttered with stuff your baby has outgrown, doesn't like, or isn't ready for yet.

The exception to this may be large items that are meant to be versatile: crib that converts to daybed, high chair that goes from newborn to toddler, etc.

People who are starting their families tend to hold on to things for the next child. Sometimes this makes sense (e.g. a crib), but sometimes a second baby has different preferences, e.g. one baby loves a swing and the next one hates it.

So, in summary. Register either for very long-term things that will convert to meet the child's needs over time, or, register only for newborn-specific gear with the intent to exchange at a consignment shop as the baby grows.

#3 ·
You really don't need much. This article is a great start. I would say more diapers then you think you could ever use, a support system, and a willingness to forgo sleep. I would skip the plastic baby bucket carrier and get a sling or other baby carrier that nests your baby next to you. I would also skip the "bathtubs" and use the kitchen snk instead when your baby gets their first bath.

#5 ·
We were super minimalist, for lots of reasons. We do a lot of RIE parenting, so we skipped all the gadget things (bouncer, swing, bumbo, etc). And we try to keep our home as plastic free and "organic" as possible, and a lot of that stuff is expensive! It was better for us to have a few really quality things and not as much stuff. And I'm so glad we did! Babies seriously are happy with a mama, milk, and their own shadows.

The must-haves for us:
Diapers (we did cloth, at least 30 newborn size diapers will help so much in the first days)
Diapering supplies: cloth wipes, wool puddle pad, wet bags
Blankets
Clothes
(our winter babes are going to need socks and hats! never had any for our may baby!)
Crib - but I don't think it's *necessary* ... for us it was nice to sidecar for cosleeping and now it's a toddler bed.
Crib sheets
High chair
Convertible carseat (we skipped the bucket seat and it was an awesome choice!)
Baby carrier (ring sling, woven wrap, Ergo/Tula, etc)
Nursing pads
Our best toys were some wool dryer balls, wooden rattles, simple wood blocks, rubber teethers.

That's truly really it... It was nice for us having things simple!

#7 ·
It has everything to do with your lifestyle! For me, I used my Ergo carrier a lot, but the true love of my life was my Bugaboo stroller. It was the vehicle that carried us along on so many great adventures. My little guy still prefers napping there to anywhere else. It's a huge investment, mine was second hand thank goodness but I really felt it was the most useful thing. Aside from breasts.

Register for a great carsest! That's something you'll need whether you drive or not. I had a light weight one when we took a lot of taxis and were on and off buses. Later When we had a car I went for the Clek Fllo which is one of the convertible ones. Very happy with it.

I have a bassinette but honestly by 3 months, most healthy babies are getting too big for one! They say 0-6 months but that's a little misleading. It's nice to have a place to put baby down and eat and pee and cook in that first little while. My little guy preferred to be sitting up even for naps so his bouncer was way more useful and they use those for much longer.

People love to give clothes so it's nice to add some to your registry to show folks what your taste is. Otherwise the bedazzled bloomers might be coming your way.

A friend of mine did a book themed shower and ended up with a huge library of great kids books.

I don't tend to put breast pump stuff on a registry but lots of people do and frankly it's a really useful thing to own and know how to use even if you plan to stay at home. Mine saved me from Mastitis and gave me the freedom to do solo outings.

I put some "mama care" items on ours this time.
-pajamas and robe for mama (because i felt like I lived in mine last time)
- post partum care package from Earth Mama Angel Baby
-Gift certificates to a local organic meal delivery service.

Reactions: ian'smommaya
#8 ·
On my sister's advice we decided to forego a diaper bag in favor of a few of these portable changing pad thingies. super cheap, easy to keep one stocked in the car and one stocked by the door ready to grab and go.
for zero-3 months my daughter slept in the fisher price rock n play sleeper, right next to my side of the bed and I would often leave my arm draped over it through the night.
yep, I'd say those were the best two items.

#9 ·
For the first few months, I used...

*Diapers (Pampers Swaddlers, hasn't had a rash yet at 18 months, highly recommended)
*Wipes (WaterWipes, hasn't had a rash yet at 18 months, highly recommended)
*Wipes Warmer (Prince Lionheart, it was -20F out when we brought her home, necessity varies on this)
*Diaper cream ( Coconut oil usually, Yes To Baby Carrots for a reddened bottom, no longer available)
*Changing Table (Used it all the time until after 6 months, then just did it on the floor or the bed. So worth it for right away when bending over is agony, and I still use it for storage, definitely worth it.)
*Waterproof changing pads (Munchkin, had 5 and used them on top of the changing pad cover and barely had enough, because of that I only needed 1 cover instead of 5, and it still is in amazing shape, practically brand new looking)
*Changing pad cover (Aiden + Anais, previously mentioned only cover, so cute and I love the texture of muslin. Getting poop on the fuzzy ones seems like a horrible nightmare)
*Swaddle blankets (6 Aiden + Anais, felt like just barely enough)
*Moby Wrap (when she was too little for the ErgoBaby)
*ErgoBaby (still heavily used at 18 months, probably the one thing I couldn't imagine living without)
*Vibrating bouncer (lifesaver in the first few weeks)
*2-in-1 Carseat and Stroller System (Evenflo 35, Invaluable for when she was little and fell asleep in the carseat and we could just snap the whole thing onto the stroller)
*Pack-n-Play (Costco? Definitely got used)
*High Chair (Costco? Got used twice, was a gift, otherwise a huge waste)
*Bibs (1 Aiden + Anais bib/burp rag, kind of a waste. It never fails to get on her shirt too, glad we only bought 1)
*Bassinet (Nice for naps when she was less than a month old, shoulda just put her on the bed, a waste but so cute, will break it out to use for a month so I feel like it got used more, and it's just so damn cute)
*Activity Mat with Jungle Gym top (Fisher Price Rainforest, used it all the time, never felt like 1 wasn't enough)
*On the ground Jumparoo (Fisher Price Rainforest, used it all the time and she just loved it, the doorway Johnny Jump-Ups terrify me)
*Breast Pump (Medela Pump in Style, free through insurance, works amazing)
*Milk storage bags (Lansinoh, never had a bag break so far at 18 months)
*Breast pads (Lansinoh, NOT the "super soft" ones, they don't absorb as well as the "honeycomb" ones.)
*Silicone Pads (Useless for the first few months when my supply was regulating and I had crazy oversupply, very useful for the few times I used them under a swimsuit and was still self conscious enough to care if I leaked. I haven't used them in a long time, but they never go bad, so if I ever needed them I have them)
*sleep/lounging nursing bras (Super easy to pop the latch and nurse at night, holds your pads in place so you don't wake up in a puddle. I STILL have to wear them at night 18 months later, no pads though, just the extra layer of cotton helps absorb any leakage that might happen)

Maybe you wouldn't want these on your registry, but...

*Nipple Butter (Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple butter was created by the gods. Not only is it heaven on abused nipples, when I have a runny nose and it gets all irritated and sore it works amazing on that as well, and I feel like I always have a runny nose in the winter.
*Gel nipple pad "soothies" (Lansinoh, amazing for the first month when you just need a half hour of your nipples not being on fire. Don't use too much or your nipples take longer to desensitize)
*Always Infinity pads (Super thin yet super absorbent. The hospital ones are like wearing a diaper)
*Tucks Pads (Sweet, sweet relief. Just plain witch hazel would work too, but putting 2 tucks pads on top of my pad prevented my stitches from snagging)
*Earth Angel new mama bottom spray (Has witch hazel, aloe, and other soothing things that you want down there)

Just trying to be thorough :)

#10 ·
One thing I'm planning to do differently this time is I'm planning to use two piece outfits rather than onesies. Last time I was forever annoying an otherwise content baby trying to take onesies off that were soiled along the bottom edges from diaper leaks.

Also I went through a package of cux pads. http://www.amazon.com/NorthShore-Premium-Disposable-Underpads-Large/dp/B000FD2AZ0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432335418&sr=8-2&keywords=chux+pads
I used them during the birth, in our bed for the first few days and later as a protective layer over anything that I wanted to protect from diaper blowouts. Not for the registry but a great thing for the to-buy list.

Reactions: ian'smommaya
#11 ·
The things I used the very most were the Ergo and the Moby (I also live in an apartment in the city), second I would recommend more receiving blankets or similarly sized towels than you think you'll need, since babies make a lot of liquid messes. Stash them around your house for easy reach, because various explosions most often occur out of nowhere. Also, a white noise machine that gets loud or is portable (like the Sleep Sheep) - perfect for the registry because it's cute but functional.

I found that I spent a lot of effort dealing with adorable clothes, rather than functional clothes, which is a mistake I will not be making this time. This baby will have a couple cute things for pictures and whatnot, but otherwise it's going to live in comfortable jammies and fluffy layers.

#12 ·
@typebug , I agree on the onesies. I love that they don't ride up, but having to avoid smearing poop all over my daughter's head as I tried to get a soiled one off was horrible :/ I stuck to footie pajamas the first 3+ months except rare occasions. My attitude was that if someone was really going to judge me for putting my newborn in pajamas, they had their own personal issues they needed to work through :) Putting my 2 week old daughter in a scratchy christmas dress for a 2.5 hour drive to where we had Christmas was never an option, and the people who commented that "they would've loved to see her in a dress" really, really should've been punched :) Your baby's comfort and your convenience matters way more than what anyone thinks of you.

#15 ·
I never got that to work either, probably because my kiddo was always just about grown out of each size the minute I got him into them. He should have been in 3-6 month clothes at 8 weeks but I was still cramming him like a Christmas ham into his 1-3 month stuff. :) And we had so many blowouts a day...

Reactions: RoseNoire and Teles
#19 ·
Some of the mamas in my last DDC really like that one. I put it on my registry this time and am hoping it's better than the moby I ditched last time. I like that it's sized and I can actually get an xsmall. I used my Ergo carrier exclusively last time but it sucks for the first two months when they can't have their legs open around you and they have to froggy inside. Hoping this next kiddo will tolerate being in a sling or the Ktan. My DS refused and would only tolerate the stroller, with legs kicking free.

#20 ·
Has anyone mentioned sleep sacks yet? That's a good thing to have on the registry especially for these winter babies. Gone are the days of being allowed to use blankets for sleeping babies. That shocked me the first time around, I had no idea. I was still given lots of receiving blankets as gifts and just used them to put down on the floor for tummy time but honestly I barely used them and I might start giving them away. When we were in the tropics baby slept in just a diaper so my 0-2 month wardrobe is pretty minimal but once we moved to SoCal (which we thought was FREEZING) I got him some sleep sacks and we used them every night till 10 months... and then he was walking. I had the Aden and Anais ones. The only drawback with the muslin is it shrinks and distorts like crazy if you screw up and put them in the dryer... which I did. A lot. It's hard to find other warm ones that aren't polyester though.

#23 ·
THIS. Definitely. I had the my My Breast Friend pillow loaned to me for the first 8 weeks which is really the only time I could use it because after that he was too big to fit on it. Then I got a boppy which doesn't position the newborn's head to nurse but by that point I was a nursing ninja and it was just nice to have a squishy pillow to place him on and support him for tummy time [aka torture time-I can't be the only mom with a kid who HATED tummy time but the boppy he really enjoyed].

My only gripe about the My Breast Friend pillow is that it's made of polyurethane foam with fire retardants in it. The new Ergo breast feeding pillow contains the same stuff so thus far, I have not found a good substitute.

#25 ·
I put my daughter on her tummy on the floor maybe twice? She didn't like it, so I just laid on my back on the bed and she did tummy time on top of mommy and liked it so much more :) Plus the incentive to see my face really made her hold her head up for impressive amounts of time.

I had a My Brest Friend, and thought a regular pillow worked so much better for me (but I have a short torso). It was great for my husband in the hospital to help support her right away, though :) He used it more than me haha

#26 · (Edited)
I also didn't find a nursing pillow useful. I always headed to the couch or bed to nurse and preferred the pillows there.

Also, if you're planning to cloth diaper, I think they could be added to the registry. All in one's are particularly giftable because they are very cute and the giver doesn't need to know anything about CD. If you go with prefolds/fitteds and covers, you'll need about 2 dozen prefolds and 6-8 covers.

As for the carrier, I had the Moby but wouldn't use it again, it gets so stretched out and droopy. I'm leaning towards a Maya wrap/ring sling this time. Much more husband friendly as well!

#27 ·
@mamadance84 Oh the Luna pillow looks great! And Your hubby will like the Ergo. My DH used ours a ton and still hikes with it and gives my 30lb 2 year old a piggy back ride back home in it when he gets tired. I actually put him on my back today in the grocery store because I knew it was going to be a struggle to keep him from taking off on me. He kept saying "mommy I'm stuck" and I replied, "I know honey, that's the whole point" ;)

#28 ·
Remember that you may have a babywearing group in your area that you can try out slings, wraps, carriers, etc. of all types before investing. I'm planning to start attending before baby. :)

(I may already have a babywearing stash. O:) I have an Ergo Performance, a ring sling and Moby from a friend, a Natibaby hemp/cotton wrap, size 6, and am currently waiting on a size 3 Baie Slings penguin print wrap. I wanted to have one of everything to try out AND the Baie Slings wrap should also allow me to use it as a belly support in months 7+. :) )

Reactions: typebug
#29 ·
Mamas who have had fall/winter babies, I have some questions about warmth. I have a couple of the thick Aden and Anais sleep sacks but they start at 10lbs, so what did you do for the 8-10lb gap? Swaddle? Smaller sleep sack brand ideas? I never had to think about this with my first because it was 100 degrees all the time. I just had to worry about heat exhaustion! He slept naked except his diaper.

And those bundlers... they look cozy but were they helpful? I'm thinking they'd be good for the 0-3 month time when night time diaper changes are plentiful and baby is not rolling around and getting things all twisted up. Would love to hear what you thought of them before I put a bunch on my registry.

Did you use sweaters much? Booties? It's not going to be "winter" by eastern standards. 50 degrees F or 10 celcius most of the nights with a few degrees below in a cold snap. It doesn't freeze here ever.

#30 ·
Bumping this thread because I'm actually starting to add things to my registry now!

Can anyone make (brand- or style-specific) recommendations on bouncy seats/swings? And also for travel systems (e.g. carseat/stroller combo). Here in Boulder the BOB stroller is pretty much the norm, but we don't have a money tree in our front yard, haha.

#31 ·
Well I tend to go for some expensive stuff but have found it all second hand as the good stuff holds up forever.

Baby Bjorn Bouncer - I love this simple bouncer, no plastic, folds flat, the whole fabric seat slips off and goes into the laundry, my son spent oodles of time in his and loved it

Bugaboo or Uppababy strollers - You can flip baby to face you (very key feature in the first year), or away, recline them to sleep, add on a running board for an older kid to tag on, adapt them to carry a car seat, add on the bassinette for a newborn... the list goes on. The Bugaboo fabric comes off and goes in the laundry too. These two are neck and neck for being the most versatile out there. There are tons on Craigslist if you look in areas where folks are paying the big bucks for new ones. And replacement parts are on the manufacturers websites and on ebay. I got a free Bugaboo from a friend and then pimped it out with new fabric and extra goodies like the running board from Ebay. It looks brand new and took very little to fix it up.

Reactions: JadePlant
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.