Mothering Forum banner

Yoga-ing

745 views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  element2012 
#1 ·
Anyone else practicing yoga prior to pregnancy and looking at switching to a prenatal class?

I'd love to hear others' experiences.

I'm still in my regular class, but today struggled a lot with a few poses that aren't usually an issue and I'm not sure if it's a sign I should switch to prenatal (my regular yoga teacher had a sub, so I couldn't ask her thoughts) or just because it's been almost 3 weeks since I could make it to class...

Reactions: applejuice
#3 ·
Well pre-natal yoga is more like doing a restorative yoga class. It's the work-out equivalent of having a gentle stretch and a short nap. ;) Totally relaxing but you probably want to keep up a more challenging class too if you want to keep strong.

#5 ·
I was afraid of that. >.< I really want the network prenatal will provide, but it's on a day/time that is very hard for me to get to regularly. My regular class (intermediate flow) is easy to schedule around! My regular instructor has done prenatal in the past, so I'm hoping she's cool with me continuing with modifications with her guidance.

Thank goodness my midwife basically said to keep doing things as I feel able and not to listen to the crazies who say I can't lie on my stomach as of a specific date. lol
http://www.mothering.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

#4 ·
I stayed relatively active last pregnancy, but I was in better shape starting the pregnancy, so I feel like I'm still doing catch up haha. I really want to stay in amazing shape this time, because with a newborn and a toddler I need my recovery time to be..... well, non existent haha. I'll look into it :) I was just going to buy a DVD because the prenatal yoga classes around here are 45 minutes away and expensive :/

#6 ·
I slept on my stomach until I was crazy pregnant last time. It didn't bother me until I was literally too big to do so haha. Then I just propped myself up with my knee so I was right in between laying on my stomach and my side. I don't get the big deal. Why do they think laying on your stomach is bad? Laying on my back, on the other hand, was unbearable starting right after the first trimester.

#7 ·
What about back lying was uncomfortable? It's still comfortable for me.

Stomach lying is hard right now because of my boobs. They get all squished and uncomfortable, BUT with my snoogle it supports my chest with space for them!

#8 ·
Just wait till the artery to the placenta is up and running, when you lie on your back it often will cut off baby's blood supply which creates an instant reaction in you that feels like YOU are being choked to death and/or about to pass out any second. It's really lovely. ;) You'll know when it's time to stop lying on your back.

#11 ·
Yeah I really fussed about that stuff the first time and then later on I was like, wait, I could have been sleeping on my back for an extra month?

I think I may alter my pilates this week. I can feel where the uterus is poking up above the pubic bone and there are some balancing things on the belly with arched back that I have a feeling are going to hurt now. But, I'll try it anyway. ;)

#10 · (Edited)
I taught and practiced vinyasa and prenatal yoga through out my last pregnancy. Stardogs you sound like an active person, prenatal yoga is not vigorous at all. Some teachers like myself do try to make the class more like a prenatal vinyasa class, but in almost all of them you would not break a sweat. If you have a vinyasa teacher with prenatal experience I would stay with that until you *know* it's not right anymore. Talk with your teacher about giving you a heads up for variations in the future and keep enjoying yoga! Also, you'll feel when you can't lay on your belly any more, believe me! I love the community aspect of a prenatal class and do encourage all pregnant women to seek one out for that reason. But don't think that that class will be exercise :)
Rosenoir, in my class there were many mamas there that had zero exercise experience, let alone yoga, so go try it out!

Edit to add a few tips:
If the timing of prenatal classes at your studio is an issue, suggest to them that they add a weekend prenatal class. For some reason they think pregnant women don't work!
If you can't find a studio near you offering prenatal, email one or two studios near you and ask if they could add it. If they can't they may be able to recommend a local resource you don't know of.
If you're lucky enough to live in an area where you have a few studios/teachers/styles to choose from, please try them all and then commit to at least one class a week.

#12 ·
You guys are awesome. <3 Will chat with my regular instructor this week and will see what she thinks, but I feel much more confident doing so. :)

#14 ·
So I just went to my first prenatal yoga class this pregnancy. Gotta say I am pretty impressed. It's an all pre and postnatal studio with childcare and different levels of prenatal yoga depending on what you feel up to. So very different from last time around. I got to do a real class and have a good amount of challenge and burning thighs. I don't know if studios like this exist in many places but it's genius. I'm a fan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.