Mothering Forum banner

May 25-31st thread

839 views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  typebug 
#1 ·
By the end of this week half of our group should have crossed the 12 week finish line! How is everyone doing? How are the mamas who are battling morning sickness? How are those first Midwife/Dr's visits going? Did anyone go anywhere exciting for the Memorial day weekend?

#2 ·
Hi typebug (and other 12 week mamas)!!

I just made it to 13 weeks and I'm finally started to relax a bit...kind of, haha.
My husband and I flew to Brooklyn (where we're from) to tell all our family and friends in person. It's still a little earlier than I'd like to tell everyone (super paranoid, I know), but the opportunity to tell everyone in person during this memorial day visit was too good to pass up.

Everyone has been so excited for us, and it's starting to feel a lot more real! :)

We have seen our midwives 3 times now and this last visit we got to hear a really beautiful strong heartbeat, so that was super exciting! I definitely went from looking a little bloated to looking a little pregnant over this last week, too. I keep meaning to post bump photos!

Luckily morning sickness eased up around 10 weeks (which I hear is very lucky), and it hasn't come back yet, aside from an occasional bout when I'm in car (more likely motion sickness exacerbated by pregnancy). If there are mamas on here still struggling, I used a bowl of water with 4-6 drops of peppermint EO on the floor by my bed every night. I was skeptical about how much I could "cure" morning sickness, but use EOs in many other applications, so figured I would give it a try and just as promised, morning sickness was gone (never to return, I hope) in 2-3 days :grin:

How is everyone else doing? Time seems to simultaneously be going sooo slow and faster than I know how to handle! SO MUCH TO DO BEFORE THE BEAN SHOWS UP!

#3 ·
@TourmalineMama Fun! I bet your friends and family were thrilled to see you and get the news in person. Glad to hear you are past the morning sickness too. I'm still a disaster in moving vehicles but the m/s seems to be almost gone as long as I have feet on the ground.

We're having a busy week over here. My best friend came to stay with us for a week and we got out to do a ton of toddler oriented activities so my DS was thrilled. Kids museums, train rides, farmers markets, hikes. We're all pooped now!

I think we're pretty ready for baby. I kept everything from my DS. I just have a dresser to buy and paint the nursery to finish things off. I've cut myself off from shopping now before I get out of hand but I finished our registry. Our parents - especially my mother - HATE registries and relentlessly make negative comments about anyone who has them. It's kinda crazy. Last time our extended family and friends got annoyed because our parents pretended they didn't know about the registry and refused to pass it on to people who asked them for the link.

#4 ·
@typebug--that's infuriating about the registries! How are people supposed to know what you need and/or what others have already gotten for you? That would drive me nuts!

My mom has a history of just going out and buying things for other people without asking them what their preferences are, so when I told her I was pregnant I tried (as kindly as possible) to nip that one in the bud before she started buying us everything under the sun. She LOVES to shop so I know it's hard for her to hold back, and while I appreciate the sentiment, I'm pretty picky about stuff and spend hours online researching brands and products before I make a purchase--so her impulse buys drive me a little nuts.

#9 ·
I know! I worked in events for years so I know all the etiquette and am careful to only have registry information distributed by a friend hosting a shower. It's not like I'm asking our parents to send out an email to their friends saying "our grandbaby is registered here" because that would be tacky but if someone asks them for the registry info they shouldn't pretend they don't know. Head go 'splody.

Your mom sounds like my MIL!

#5 ·
I'm still not sure which week I'm on, won't know until next week. It annoys me because I have no baseline! Some days the fatigue and nausea keeps me in bed, other days it is non-existent. Knowing how far along I am will help me at least think of a timeline-I have always felt great by the 2nd trimester....

This week has been crazy-husband traveling and end of the year stuff for my pre-schooler- plus the little one has had a cold. I think I could safely say it's enough to tire out a normal person, let alone a pregnant one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

#6 ·
I got slammed on fb by a couple people for asking folks not to buy anything before consulting me (after we got a 148 count box of Pampers Swaddlers delivered, size 1. We don't plan to use disposables after the first month or two). They got unfriended. :p This pregnant lady doesn't have time for childish behavior like that!

Reactions: RoseNoire
#7 ·
It's hard to navigate these waters but lots of folks will just do their own thing and try to get you what THEY think is the best baby thing ever. Some people will ask first but the majority for us didn't.

Hopefully a friend will send out a shower invitation with registry info for you. :)

#8 ·
People not taking my registry seriously last time caused a major meltdown on my part haha. I spent hours and hours researching everything, and then some people just buy whatever they feel like? Really? I ranted to my husband, lost my temper, then cried a little (thank you hormones!), and then just got all "if people want to waste their money on a gift I will never use, it's their problem, not mine." I just donated the stuff I knew I wouldn't use and sent them a warm (undetectably sarcastic?) thank you note for their thoughtfulness. Hahaha. I'm sure someone was very happy for the donation.

#10 ·
Otherwise, I am happy to say that at 13+ weeks the morning sickness is completely gone! I get a little queasy if I'm super hungry, but I was like that pre pregnancy haha. My first appointment with the midwife was last week and amazing. Uterus is the perfect size, heartbeat was amazing, and talking to people there feels like talking to an equal. Everyone asks me how I think it's going :) It's nice to be treated like I know what's going on. Our appointment was even over early because the midwife said she didn't know what else to tell me because I seemed like an expert :) I had paperwork to do anyway, so it worked out perfect.

#11 ·
@typebug @stardogs @RoseNoire

UGH! How infuriating. I have addressed the registry issue a lot with my husband and we definitely expected that to happen, but it's disheartening to hear that SO many people experience the unnecessary/unwanted gift-buying issue. We have worked SOOOO hard over the last several years to rid our house and lives of plastic (as much as possible), buying US made and organic (bed to be purchased next week!) stuff, and I just know my MIL is going to have a field day getting us all kinds of crap we don't want or need. It's so hard, because you want to be grateful, but that's difficult to do when you're being picky. At least it will seem that way to others I'm sure. The lovely silver lining is that the donation will be greatly appreciated by another mother, it's just a shame when you tell people in advance, huh?

C'est la vie. I'm sure this will be one of many "pick your battles" situations with my in laws. Haha. One of the greatest benefits to not finding out the gender is knowing how many horribly gendered clothes and toys we will be avoiding (at least at first)!

Not sure we're having a shower, being 3000 miles away from our family and friends, so I sincerely hope there is an un-tacky way to insist that people stick to our registry. Might have to get my sister to sneakily work this into an email somehow...:grin:

Glad you ladies are all starting to feel good again! I'm ready for this 2nd trimester!

#12 ·
One of the greatest benefits to not finding out the gender is knowing how many horribly gendered clothes and toys we will be avoiding (at least at first)!
No kidding! We are definitely finding out the gender but I think we might "pretend" we didn't to friends and family. My mother dressed me almost exclusively in pink for the first ten years of my life. No thank you!!

#13 ·
@TourmalineMama YES! If I'm right and this is a girl I am especially glad to not feel obligated to tell everyone. I have such a strong aversion to the themed and gender specific newborn clothes... after the birth though... yikes!

We were abroad when my son was born and our local friends - even people who barely knew us - threw us a shower because they knew we'd have had one back home. Because all our friends and family back home weren't able to be there my best friend decided to organize an online baby shower having people Skype-in or send videos they made to to her to be watched by us at the shower. The videos worked really really well, the Skype thing didn't... it was hard to hear with lots of other people around. Anyway she also shared our registry information. So if you have a fab friend who wants to throw you a virtual shower that's a really nice alternative and she/he can word it so that the invitation is really all about supporting you guys and wishing you well and if they want to do a little something extra you're registered here: ____

#14 ·
I told everyone AT the baby shower (and we had the baby shower when I was ~37 weeks), some people were actually angry about it haha. I think babies look adorable in grey/green/yellow, so I didn't care. :) I fail to see how the sex of my child matters so much to other people that I was called selfish for not sharing it. Oh well :) People will be lucky to know this time around before the baby is born. >:D

#15 ·
Last time the only gifts we received were a pack and play from my co-workers (and I love them for it), and money for us to buy a crib we liked from my MIL, and a puppet from a friend.

It's bittersweet to not have any support from family and friends; it's crazy expensive to do it all on your own, but I have total control of everything DD has. I made a registry last time, and I already have one again, but it's more of a list of things I want to remember to buy. There aren't many things to buy for baby 2 and I'm not buying any clothes until I find out the gender, but it's kind of nice to buy a couple odd things here and there that are just for this baby and not handed down from his/her sister.

So far I've bought a "Gentle Giraffe" (giraffe version of the sheep noise machine that DD has), and an Onya carrier, since there's a giant hole in our Ergo from two years of daily use with DD. I've separated all of DD's clothes into neutral and distinctly girly, so it'll be easy if we need to sell the girl stuff. We will have to either buy a new crib or buy DD a twin bed, but we're buying a bed either way. No hurry though, since I'm very sure we'll be co-sleeping for the first year again

#16 ·
Agreed. With this being the second baby, all we need is to buy newborn diapers and a special going home outfit as soon as we know if it's a boy or girl. After that, some clothes if it's a boy this time, not many because most things newborn/0-3 months were gender neutral. :) It ALMOST makes me want to have more kids just because I already have everything :)

#17 ·
I just had a crazy mama day like no other. I've never lost my cool in front of my son before but after an entire day of his melt-downs and acting out and destruction I was on the phone and he came over to me and started screaming as loud as he could. I yelled at my husband to "GET HIM OUT OF HERE" and as my hubby carried him wiggling down the hall to his room I heard him saying "sorry... sorry." And then I felt terrible. I think the pregnancy hormones + terrible twos were just battling it out. This is the kinda day that needs a glass of wine. :( I do miss that.

#19 ·
Yes! I have made it a tradition to have a really good red wine waiting for me after birth!

Reactions: typebug
#20 ·
@RoseNoire Thanks! @Blonhrt88 That is a great tradition. Last time I had a cold bottle of veuve cliquot waiting for me but I didn't get to it for a few days.

#22 ·
Well now I feel cheated, I got cookies. We went shopping 2 weeks after giving birth because DH refused to get christmas presents before baby was born (that man is a horrible procrastinator when it comes to gifts) and I grabbed 2 packages of cookies and said "I shoved your daughter out of my vagina" hahaha. Gotta stay classy ;) But those cookies were sooo good, perfect to grab in the middle of the night when I was just starving after a nursing session. :)

#24 ·
I used that to get away with things quite a bit for the first couple months (and sometimes still do).

"are you sure you need another pair of jeans?"
"nothing else fits because I just spent the last 10 months GROWING, THEN PUSHING OUT YOUR ONLY CHILD. Do you know what it feels like to have your bones shift around to make way for a person to be squeezed out of a tiny hole in your body?"
"... just get the damn jeans"

:grin:

#23 ·
On the topic of cookies... who has lactation cookies recipes? Maybe we can put those in our resources thread too! They are great to have in the freezer ready to go when you need 'em. ;)

#25 ·
@Teles Hahahaha! This morning at 6am the little guy yells "peeepeeeee!" and I say to my husband "you go" and he asks why. "Are YOU growing a baby right now?"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.