Mothering Forum banner

Ongoing Chat Thread!

10K views 272 replies 16 participants last post by  typebug 
#1 ·
I'm feeling like the weekly chat threads get a little awkward when we have good chats going that span a few weeks, so how about one big giant one? We can still post a weekly 'discussion starter' if desired, but won't have the disjointedness. :)

#2 ·
I LIKE IT!

I just celebrated my 31st birthday on Saturday with brunch with my DH and best friend, and her new adorable, chunky babe. Then we went for a relaxing walk on the water. Later on we ordered in Indian Food and had a movie night on the couch. Perfect birthday. :)

I'm 11 weeks today!!! My midwife came over last night and we played around with her doppler and heard the heart beat again. That was fun. :) I have my first trimester screen on June 14th.

It's the last week of school for my students and they have their "Moving On Ceremony" tomorrow morning. I'm going to do my best not to cry my eyes out!! Since I'm a Montessori teacher, we have our oldest students for 3 years and it's hard to let them go. They're like my own kids!

How's everyone else doing?

#3 ·
Happy Birthday @mamadance84!

I'm pretty good, 13-14 weeks is easy street for me this time around. Energy is great, nothing to report at all except some round ligament aching at the end of the day. Sometimes I can feel little kicks already. Definitely not gas, little legs feel quite different. Baby is the size of a kiwi so it can't be impossible!

Weight gain is only 1lb since the beginning so I guess I can hide this a while longer. I'm in the final decision-maker round of hiring at the job I want and I should be finding out any minute. It's driving me a bit crazy not knowing. I know they were really pleased with my first two interviews but I was also the first applicant. My plan, if I get hired is to take two weeks to settle DS's preschool and nanny schedule and then take the family down to SoCal for a long weekend. If we're up for it I want to take us into Disneyland for a day. It's really the last chance I'll have while I'm agile to take him off to do something like this and I know he'll be thrilled.

#4 ·
Happy birthday @mamadance84 !! It sounds like you had a lovely day! @typebug, best wishes on the final round with the possible new job! Super exciting!

I just got home from a 3.5 day dog training conference with my malinois that was awesome, but the 8 hour drive took way long both ways (10.5 and 9.5h) so by the time I got home last night at 11p all I wanted was sleep. I may have lost it when my dog wouldn't poop right away. Ooops. Fatigue + pregnancy is a bad combo. :p

Otherwise, feeling good. Had a great time at the conference, despite really long days, got to hang out with some friends I haven't seen in a while, etc. Now I'm having to get back into the swing of work and it's HAAAARD.

Only about 10 days before I leave for another trip, this time to Canada for a trial. Thank goodness I was smart and decided to split that 15h drive into two 7.5h days!

#5 ·
Happy birthday @mamadance84 :) And good luck @typebug

We're moving into our first house sometime mid-June, so things are all about packing here and renovating there as the house is quite the fixer-upper :) I got to trim the dead branches off the neglected lilac tree and discovered 3 hostas growing in the front! I miss gardening and taking care of plants (I grew up on a farm), so it was very therapeutic.
:) Super excited to move :)

#6 ·
Thanks for all the sweet birthday wishes :)

@typebug my fingers are crossed for you and the new job! I hope you get it! Disney is one of my favorite places in the world (but I've never been to the one in cali--only Orlando and Paris). Sounds like a lovely long weekend you have planned!

@stardogs sounds like you had a crazy busy weekend! hope you're feeling more rested now!

@RoseNoire good luck with your move!

We finally posted an announcement to our wider social community (aka FB and IG :wink) I'm sharing it below if you want to take a look. We're big hockey fans in our house and we posted it the day after the Rangers lost the chance to go to the stanley cup finals. It was a big deal for DH and he's very proud of his new little fan. :)

Attachments

#8 ·
@mamadance84 I love it!

I can't remember if I shared ours. I put this up a couple of weeks ago on facebook for our announcement.

Attachments

#10 ·
I tried to attach the video I took of DH and I telling our sons about the baby, and then posted to FB when we were ready - but I can't figure it out. Anyway, we played pictionary on their chalkboard wall. DH drew a Christmas tree and then I drew two stick boys, that they identified as themselves, and then I drew a littler stick person. Our seven year old guessed 'a new sister' right away. And then he proceeded to ask whose baby it was (during my surrogate pregnancy we talked lots about how families are made in many different ways).

It was sweet and funny and everything I wanted it to be and not at all what I expected. Later that same day we had our families over and the boys played pictionary with them to break the news. After having our boys so young, when the announcement was far from a joyous occasion this experience was so wonderful.

Whew that got long! Anywho, I've had a couple of long work days and will be ready for the weekend. I did share the good news with my colleagues, which was a real relief after weeks of trying to pretend like I wasn't vomiting in the bathroom all the time:smile:

#11 ·
@MulberryMom That sounds adorable! I think to upload video we have to self host it (or use youtube) and embed the video. It's been awhile since I tried though.
@RoseNoire Hilarious! What a cutie. Hope your move goes smoothly! I have to say having some space now as we welcome a second it wonderful. I'm sure you'll be thrilled. We've been in apartments for years in big cities and it was time to settle into village life and play in some dirt. I grew up on an organic veggie farm and I just love having land again even if it's only 1/4 acre.

Reactions: RoseNoire
#12 ·
Is anyone else feeling like a blimp? I don't have a proper bump yet but I sure do feel FAT. My belly likes to pooch out over my waistband lately and I've had to use the hairtie trick a few times.

I always hoped I'd be one of those cute pregnant ladies who didn't gain an ounce anywhere but their belly, but it seems like it's not to be. :-( I want to look pregnant, not fat!!

Okay, end body discomfort rant.

#13 ·
By the end of the day I feel suuuuuper blimpy. I think it's all the day's food sitting in my stomach or something but ick.

I have a wee bump and have used the hairtie trick a few times as well, but unless you really know me, it just looks like I've gained 5lbs. >.<

Anyone else having abdominal/uterus stretching/pulling/crampy sensations? The last few days has been full of this sort of stuff for me and I'm not sure if I should mention it to a midwife or not - I just figure things are stretching, but it is rather annoying at times.

#14 ·
@stardogs just sounds like round ligament stretching stuff. I have it all the time.

I don't think I've gained any more "bump" so I'll wait a few more weeks to try to take another picture but my boobs finally got on board and I jumped back into my nursing bras all of a sudden. So like two cup sizes in about three days. Owch. I stopped nursing DS a few days ago and he hasn't noticed. We only nursed in the mornings anyway but I thought he might care. I guess not. :) So 2 years and three months for him. I wanted to wean by 2.5 years with him anyway so I guess it's all good.

#15 ·
Ok cool - I was thinking that might be it, but had no clue what it felt like. I have had two moments in the last 3 days where I moved one way and it was a sharp 'ouch' pulling, but otherwise it's just achy and annoying.

I went kayaking for the first time since last fall today. Couldn't figure out why my PFD wouldn't zip...oh yea, boobs are 2 cup sizes larger than the last time I wore it. LOL DH and I had a great time - felt great to be out on the water again!

Also, farm fresh peaches are finally here again and they are the best.thing.ever to this girl. :D

Reactions: RoseNoire
#16 ·
A new week begins! How is everyone? It's looking like a scorcher here. Already have the kiddo in the wading pool at 9am. I'm STILL waiting on word about the new job. Every week I get shortlisted up another rung and on Friday I was in the final 2... If they offer it to me this week I'm going to sit down with my potential manager and tell her I'm pregnant and watch her reaction carefully and then I'll get all the skinny on what they can offer me in terms of holding my position during mat leave. Depending on how that goes I'll take or walk from the job. ;( So that's what's potentially ahead of me this week. Part of me thinks that not getting it might be a blessing in disguise. I could freelance smaller jobs till baby arrives and then take whatever amount of time off I want again. But the other part of me is fiercely competitive and wants to lean in. It's never easy. You can't "have it all" at least not all at the same time.

How are the first trimester mamas doing? My 16 week appointment is next week which means we should all be second trimester grads over this next week-ish depending on how we are calculating weeks.
@stardogs At this stage just be really careful of lateral movement. Climbing in and out of a kayak for instance. Do it slow - like grandma slow. The round ligament is going to be stretched to capacity a LOT this trimester as it adjust to growing belly. If it's aching, it's extremely vulnerable. Pulling the round ligament is a very painful and debilitating injury. It doesn't hurt baby but you won't walk for a while.

#19 ·
I'm STILL waiting on word about the new job. Every week I get shortlisted up another rung and on Friday I was in the final 2... If they offer it to me this week I'm going to sit down with my potential manager and tell her I'm pregnant and watch her reaction carefully and then I'll get all the skinny on what they can offer me in terms of holding my position during mat leave. Depending on how that goes I'll take or walk from the job. ;(
Gah, that sounds really frustrating. I do like your attitude though - sounds like it could be a win-win either way!

I'm backing off on my client load starting in August primarily because each client is usually a 3 month deal and I want to take a month off before my due date for some R&R. I really like having 100% control of my schedule - perks of self employment for sure.

@stardogs At this stage just be really careful of lateral movement. Climbing in and out of a kayak for instance. Do it slow - like grandma slow. The round ligament is going to be stretched to capacity a LOT this trimester as it adjust to growing belly. If it's aching, it's extremely vulnerable. Pulling the round ligament is a very painful and debilitating injury. It doesn't hurt baby but you won't walk for a while.
Ok, will do. I def have had the two ouch moments first thing in the morning before everything has warmed up, so I'm sure that's part of it, but I'll try to be more mindful.

#18 ·
First trimester-er here! 11 weeks tomorrow. Had an OB appt this morning and after a minute of baby-chasing anxiety, we heard the peanuts heartbeat. Lots of relief after my nausea has significantly subsided this past week. I'm still so tired and sooooo moody, but glad to be keeping food down and turning the corner into trimester 2 soon!

#23 ·
:grin:

Hurrah! I was exactly 11 weeks yesterday- we are a week apart! HURRAH!!!

#21 ·
Busy day!

I put our new couch from IKEA together all by myself today! I feel so powerful. LOL It's a big leather sectional, so more seating when people come over and suuuuper easy to clean (with 4 dogs already and a baby on the way, I figured the timing is perfect). I am really loving it already.

I also got my new Baie Slings wrap (adorable penguins) and have been petting it off and on all day. So excited to belly wrap with it in a few months when the bump needs the support. It's already super soft. <3

I leave for Canada to trial one of my dogs and visit with friends on Thursday. I get to play with a litter of puppies, too. Sooooo excited for all of it, less the 15 hours of driving, though I was smart and split it into 2 days this time. Running around like a crazy person trying to get everything ready to be gone a week.

Reactions: typebug
#25 ·
Ah so that's what round ligament pain is! I've been getting some of those sharp pangs upon standing as well.

And I'm here to commiserate on the blimpyness. I have a bump for sure, everyone is telling me they see it. But it's not a cute baby bump, it's a bloat bump! I just feel big all over, even though I think I've only gained a few pounds. Is it full body bloat?? :)

#26 ·
I can definitely commiserate with all the bloated mama's out there. The worst is when someone is like "oh, I see the bump!" and they rub my belly and I want to snap their hand away and scream "YOU DON'T SEE ANYTHING, THAT'S GAS AND BLOATING!" :eek:

I haven't been crazy moody or anything but for some reason this one really gets under my skin! Lol. I'm trying to be kind, though, because people are just excited for us :grin: Anyway...on to food.

Are other mamas feeling absolutely ravenous?? I just read an old wives tale on the internet somewhere that if you feel like you just can't be satiated and you're eating all the time, it's a boy. Who knows, but I really feel like food is my olympic sport right now. I am trying desperately to cut my sweet tooth because my midwives were pretty stern about how much fruit I'm eating (it's southern california you guys, the fruit is awesome!!) So I've been baking like a mad woman, cornbread and banana muffins sweetened only with sugar in the last couple of days alone, but I am blowing through it all. The nutty part is that I've hardly gained any weight. When my midwives first weighed me at 8 weeks I was under my "normal" weight, but I fluctuate 5 pounds a day, give or take. At best, I have gained like 4 lbs according to todays weighing, and I wouldn't be surprised if by tonight I was down again to 2 or 3 lbs. I'm 15 weeks and 2 days. It's all so weird! I know that like, everything is normal in pregnancy (or rather, what's unusual for one woman may not be for another) so I'm not worried, necessarily, I'm just shocked at how much I can eat, having already started with a very healthy appetite! I finish eating and I am quickly planning my next snack, it's hilarious!

Anyone else out there really packing away the calories? Maybe I'm making up for the first 10 weeks where everything seemed and smelled repulsive, hah!

#28 ·
I've been eating nonstop more or less this entire pregnancy! I didn't have bad morning sickness, but I often felt mildly queasy, and constantly snacking on salty things seemed to help.

I was already at the outer limits of what I'm comfortable weighing when I got pregnant, which frustrated me a bit since you're not supposed to try to lose weight during pregnancy. My scale's broken, but I'm guessing I put on 5-8 pounds in the first 7 weeks or so. I've steadied since then, and didn't gain anything between 7 and 11 weeks. One of these days, when my energy decides to come back, I'll start strength training and perhaps swimming.

I've seen a couple of people on here comment about eating too much fruit--what's wrong with fruit? It has to be better for you than ice cream or donuts or whatever? I've been eating lots of fruit lately too and I have no plans of stopping! :)

#29 ·
Fruit is high on the glycemic index so avoiding sugar and pounding back lots of fruit is still not a great strategy for avoiding gestational diabetes. It's hard though... fruit is not making me sick anymore and there's so much of it. I need to get back to adding veggies into my smoothies.

#30 · (Edited)
@jadeplanet, it's what @typebug said. Sadly, even fruit is troublesome during pregnancy because of the high sugar content, and obviously avoiding GD is my number one priority. Still, I firmly believe that natural sugars are preferable to refined sugar because your body metabolizes fructose differently than sucrose/glucose, so while the fruit has fiber and metabolizes more slowly (and offers nutritional value like vitamins, minerals and antioxidats), it still ultimately reaches your intestines where it isnt' distinguised from sugar in candy or other sweets.

I'm trying not to be a nut about it, though. There is already so much to worry about, you definitely can't let everything get in your head, you just have to make smart decisions and do your best to moderate. I agree it's definitely better than donuts and ice cream though! :wink: On the other hand, while there is a risk to pregnant women for diabetes, it feels smart to be a little more cautious and thoughtful about how much "natural sugars" I'm eating, ya know?

The good news is that berries are relatively low in sugar, so I can kind of a have a field day with those (or at least eat more than a serving a day :) and even though combining fruit isn't thought to really jive with other foods in your digestive tract, the midwives suggested eating it with a protein like some almond butter to help with slowing down the rate at which it is metabolized. Interesting suggestion I'll definitely try!

#31 ·
Like I've said before, I went from ~2000 calories a day prepregnancy to ~3000 calories a day since... my positive test haha. At my 12 week appointment I had only gained .4 pounds, so it's being put to good use, apparently ;) my 16 week appointment is on Monday or Tuesday, so we'll see what the scale says this time... I don't feel like I've gained much weight, though. And NO ONE gets between me and my fruit :D

#32 ·
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you know if you're at risk for GD? I've had 2 prenatal appointments already, with a urine sample at the first one, but no blood draws. I even asked about it last time and all they mentioned was the genetic testing, which I declined.

#33 ·
Things that make you higher risk:
- prediabetes/glucose intolerance before pregnancy
- gestational diabetes in a previous pregnancy
- previous baby over 9 lbs
- unexplained stillbirth in previous pregnancy
- obesity
- older age
- family history of diabetes
- any race other than white

Unless you're higher risk, standard procedure is to do a screening test at 24-28 weeks.

#34 ·
Thanks @beep! Other than being mixed race it looks like I don't have any risk factors. I've read a lot about nutrition in pregnancy but had never seen any indication of cutting out fruit. It makes sense, though, if someone is predisposed to GD. We eat pretty healthy typically but I honestly haven't been all that careful with diet, since I had lots of very specific food cravings and aversions in the 1st tri. Whatever sounded good, I ate (because anything other than that specific food sounded awful).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.