Mothering Forum banner

New here, have had a bit of a shock

951 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  KrisInDenmark 
#1 ·
So, a few weeks ago I had a positive pregnancy test. I wasn't expecting it to be positive, was just taking it to rule out pregnancy as a reason for the several weeks worth of nausea. I was pretty floored. We calculated my due date to be around late March.

Today, I had my first appointment with the midwife. She and her intern thought I looked further along than 6 weeks, plus my symptoms weren't matching up with the usual timeline. So I hopped up on the table and one of them pulled out the doppler so we could see if we could hear a heartbeat (because you wouldn't be able to at 6 weeks).

And there it was, nice and strong.

Turns out I'm more like 14 weeks along, which puts my due date in late January. I'm not sure how that happened, as I had two regular (ha!) menstrual cycles during the time that supposedly I was pregnant. But there's no denying that heartbeat, and my uterus is measuring the size of a canteloupe.

So... hi?

#2 ·
Welcome. I had a similar experience. I did a home test that was negative so I thought I just had the stomach flu. Then I decided I was getting too fat lately and pigging out, that I should diet and exercise but just to be sure (this was about a month later) I did another test and low and behold I was a little over a month pregnant. I still don't know why the first test was negative but I'm glad we're expecting.

#3 ·
I'm worried about the two menstrual periods and what that means for the baby. My mind is spinning. I had the shortest 1st trimester ever!

#4 ·
@spiderdust I would have loved to have had a short first trimester! One of my girlfriends didn't discover she was pregnant with her second until she was 8+ weeks along for the same reason -- she was still getting periods. The day she found out she had just gone out the night before and ended up drinking so much she puked. Oops. Anyway she had a healthy baby boy and he's normal and perfect and two now so I think you'll be fine. My mother had a similar story -- she didn't get confirmation that she was pregnant with me until a of couple months in because the tests kept coming up negative but she insisted she just felt pregnant. This was in the 80s when I assume the tests were less sensitive, but still.

As for me, this would never work bc I start showing like immediately and if it wasn't a baby I would probably assume I had some kind of stomach tumor.

Welcome and congratulations!

#5 ·
Welcome and congrats! Looks like we are a couple days apart.

I was bleeding through my first trimester and was worried sick. It magically stopped, and all is still well with growing bean.

#7 ·
I absolutely feel like I'm playing catch up. I was still getting used to the idea of being unexpectedly pregnant at 43, and now I'm a whole lot more pregant all of the sudden. It doesn't quite feel real.

#10 ·
My sister bled for the first 8 weeks. She went to the ob/gyn to figure out why her period was so messed up. That's when she found out she was pregnant!

Congrats and welcome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.