Mothering Forum banner

This is my 3rd due date club for this pregnancy

875 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  chispita 
#1 · (Edited)
... because my estimated due date has moved around that much.

In early July I had a positive pregnancy test. I wasn't expecting it to be positive, was just taking it to rule out pregnancy as a reason for the several weeks worth of nausea (my doctor had told me earlier this year that I was showing signs of beginning menopause, I was really not expecting to be pregnant). I was pretty floored. We calculated my due date to be around late March.

Late July, I had my first appointment with the midwife. She and her intern thought I looked further along than 6 weeks, plus my symptoms weren't matching up with the usual timeline. So I hopped up on the table and one of them pulled out the doppler so we could see if we could hear a heartbeat (because you wouldn't be able to at 6 weeks). Guess what we heard that wasn't me?

There was no denying that heartbeat and my uterus was measuring the size of a canteloupe, so they estimated that I was likely closer to 14 weeks along and due in late January! :bigeyes

Because I wanted to narrow things down a bit more (plus I was worried about how the baby was doing, having survived 2 possible menstrual periods), I opted to get an ultrasound at what we estimated was 19 weeks. The baby's measurements were more consistent with a 15 week fetus, so my due date moved again!

So... here I am, very confused, and due in late February. I think. :dizzy

See less See more
#3 ·
I hear ya! While not quite as drastic, at my last appointment the ultrasound lady said I was 19 weeks! (Due date Feb 16) Before that I was due Feb 28 and came in thinking I was 17 weeks. Then my Dr. Said the measurements are often off and I'm probably 18 weeks. I found it pretty frustrating because I'd plugged it into my phone to update me weekly so I could follow along and see where I was at. Also me and my bf live in a house we are renovating and have A LOT of work to do! Losing 2 weeks like that sucked!

Aside from all that----welcome!!!

#4 ·
Ultrasound dating is not all that accurate. Some babies appear or are bigger and longer for their age. After 13 weeks they can't really predict any better than +/-2 weeks.

Also gestation time varies a lot between different people. Tall women carry longer, first timers as well...

Reactions: BagLady2016
#5 ·
Haha, sorry, I had to respond to this one. My first pregnancy was like this. I was on the pill. I continued to have periods the first 2 cycles (and you are the only person I've ever heard had that happen too.) I had no morning sickness or anything. I finally missed a period, took a test and it went positive in seconds. My first OB visit, they thought I was having twins. Every trip to the doctor moved my due date until about 5 months along. Even then, when D arrived 3 days late, the nurses and doctor all said she looked more like 2 WEEKS late. Geesh!

Here I am with my 3rd and again, a total surprise considering I've been in peri-menopause for 3 years. Missing periods, even 2 or 3 in a row, has become the routine! I used to run out for a test every time I missed but this time, life was crazy and I just kept thinking, oh, just give it a couple more weeks. No other symptoms until my pants stopped fitting. Found out 3 weeks ago I am pregnant and verified last week that I am 21 weeks along and due on valentines (which is probably right since that lines up with last period and measurements are right on target.)

It's a crazy ride but eventually, they'll have a better idea of where you are. The nice part is it goes a bit faster lol.

#9 ·
The laws on homebirths have changed in my state too, so I'm not allowed to have a homebirth when I hit 42 weeks. I almost wonder if I should ask my midwife to adjust it again, just to make sure!

#10 ·
Yeah, that's why I'm going on my EDD based on conception (and there are two possible dates for that, so I'm just going with the latest one). LMP would not work properly since my cycles are long and I ovulate late.

It's so stupid that we have to go to these stupid things so that we won't have our providers drop us after a given date (when you're more likely to just go along with unnecessary interventions so that this doesn't happen).

Not to mention the difficulties and requirements surrounding being able to get an out of hospital VBAC here...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.