Any teachers out there? When is the best time to ttc? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-16-2008, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a teacher and I have baby fever! I'm trying to wait to ttc until May or June so I have a February or March baby. This way I'd be able to stay home with the baby until August. However, I know that there are no guarantees that I'll be able to get pregnant when I want to. I'm just having a really hard time waiting 5 to 6 months to ttc. but if I get pregnant in the next few months, the baby will be due in the middle of the school year. Are there any other teachers out there that have wrestled with this?

jog.gifkid.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-16-2008, 06:09 PM

Hi,
I'm a preschool teacher and had planned on starting to TTC this past spring for the same reasons as you. However, I had some health issues come up that threw a monkey wrench into our plans. So now here we are several months later, trying on and off based on how I feel. This will be our third month of actively trying, with charting, checking cervical mucus, temping, etc.

Before I was sick, I kept waiting to try until the spring. So I guess we never know what will come our way and that some things are out of our control.

I had a parent of a child tell me that children are resilient and that family comes first. I thought that was really helpful because I was feeling really stressed out about waiting for the "perfect time".
If you really want a baby, go for it and see what happens.

Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

#3 of 10 Old 12-16-2008, 07:32 PM

Can you afford to take some time off? I recommend not working in the 3rd tri b/c it's uncomfortable and tiring. I heard that it is really important to try not to be stressed out during the 3rd tri b/c it can affect the baby. I conceived DS1 in Nov. and I had the whole summer to relax, take long walks, and rest when I needed to.
#4 of 10 Old 12-16-2008, 09:24 PM

I actually taught until 2 weeks before my due date (July 7), and still walked the 6 blocks to work every day, and it was fine. In fact, the 9th month was much more comfortable than the 7th months. The only thing that changed was that I started taking the elevator to the upper floors of the building (super gigantic city school). I actually liked staying active until the end.

I was lucky enough to be able to take a whole year off, so a July baby was perfect. She was almost 14 months when she went to daycare for the first time.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#5 of 10 Old 12-16-2008, 09:38 PM

Both my husband and I are teachers. We thought having a baby in spring would be good timing...have maternity leave until the end of the school year and then go back to work in the fall.

We have been trying for a long time with no luck. Because of fertility issues we just continue to try even if it means I might have a Sept. due date!

We are so hoping for another baby that we no longer are focusing on timing. Baby comes first and then we will figure out the rest...
#6 of 10 Old 12-17-2008, 10:24 AM

I worked up until labor with my DS. Literally. I was in early labor at work. It was fine. I was not stressed at all. I would much rather have the time off *with* baby, then just pregnant. I had him in December, had to go back end of March. It was very hard, but we made it. I pumped and also nursed him once during the work day. We are TTC now, and I want to get pregnant, but a part of me is okay if it takes awhile. The closer I get to a Feb DD, the better for me. Also, I've decided to avoid a Dec DD, which seems strange to do since I am ready for baby #3, but I will tell you, the thought of having 2 children's birthdays in an already crazy month is not appealing at all. Plus, I got really depressed after DS 2 and I think the cold, dark weather may have had a lot to do with it.
#7 of 10 Old 12-17-2008, 05:33 PM

I was teaching 4th grade when I got pregnant with my first. We concieved mid-November and the first trimester was soooo tiring and I was so nauseaus that if I could have planned better I would have my first trimester over with when starting in the fall. Your baby would be due in Spring and you could take maternity leave and FML until the end of the year...then you would have 8 weeks off for "summer break" with your little one before starting school again...that is potentially a 4 month break with your newborn before school started again the next year.

So I'm thinking if you concieve somewhere around May...then you'll fall into a nice pattern for morning sickness and fatigue over summer and then work the next year and have baby in spring.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#8 of 10 Old 12-17-2008, 09:00 PM

high school band director here.... timing is everything......

we planned, started trying in august, then were successful in september. that puts our due date on graduation day. SERIOUSLY!!! So, i'm hoping that i'll be able to conduct the graduation music, then get out of there for the baby.

however- we were trying to specifically have an end of school year baby. but we did get to the point where we decided that if it took us a long time, the baby was more important than the time of year. i love my job, but it *is* just a job. my family is more important than my job.

being a high school band director, marching band.... well, i'm very thankful that it worked out the way we hoped. that means i get two months off with the baby before i have to start marching again. and we have a lot of family and friends to help us out. that makes it nice too.

best of luck.

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#9 of 10 Old 12-17-2008, 10:06 PM

I'm a teacher; I wanted a summer baby so I would be done with school but still on school insurance (I hope to stay home next year). So I started trying in October and it worked! I'm due in June! The beginning of the year busy time I was not yet pregnant so that was a plus. I did have two big concerts during the 1st trimester (the first one being before I had told people) so that was not great. But I have no complaints about how the timing worked out.
It probably depends on when the big events in your school year are. Maybe start charting before you start trying, so you're totally ready to try when those "ideal" months for TTC come around. But don't worry about ideal too much!

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#10 of 10 Old 12-17-2008, 10:08 PM

As I have been trying for over a year, it doesn't matter much to me anymore when he or she comes.

Ideally, I would have liked to have a June baby. I plan on taking a year off, and that would be the most "clean cut", with a couple extra months added on the end. Of course, I'm past June and onto September (if this cycle were to be "the one"), so we'll see what happens. I might end up having to take a little less than a year off.

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page