Cervical Scar Tissue - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-23-2008, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to x-post this...sorry if you've seen it before, but I need some help.

I had a cone biopsy done a few years ago due to cervical cancer. Have had excruciatingly painful periods since and no luck in conceiving (1 m/c).
Yesterday-I was reading here and found a post about cervical scarring and her description sounded exactly the same. So, now I'm wondering-how can I manually break up the scar tissue? Yes, I'm very sure that's what it is.
I know it will not be comfortable and probably painful, but willing to do it.

Anyone?
TIA!!!

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.
Praying for God to bless us again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 12-23-2008, 01:47 PM

Have you spoken with your doctor? That is such an invaluable part of your body, if it were me I would have a doctor, midwife, or nurse do it. here is a thread from a couple years on it:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=487157
Good luck!
#3 of 16 Old 12-23-2008, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

No, I've not talked to my doctor yet. I'm a bit mad at her now, as for the past 3 years when I bring up anything, she's been putting me off...so I've decided that if this cycle is still the same(sigh) then I'm going to a different doctor.

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.

#4 of 16 Old 12-23-2008, 08:37 PM

Could you contact one of the docs who treated you for the cancer? They might be alot more helpful and understanding.

I did a self insemination once and now have a little flap of skin on my cervix as a souvenir. All the docs who've done pelvic's lately give me funny looks when they see it! It's harmless, isn't in the way or anything, but it proves you can permanently do things to your cervix. So, if you decide to try anything, be very careful.

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#5 of 16 Old 12-23-2008, 11:34 PM

Zanelee--I know how you feel. I am stuck now until I find out how extensive my scar tissue is. I am waiting after the holidays to talk to my ob/gyn who did the cold knife cone biopsy. He is aware of the scar tissue and I will see what his opinion is. I am angry/upset beyond belief that I will never get pregnant until this gets resolved.

Believe me I wanted to take a knife and start chiseling away on my cervix. I told dh that he can also massage it with some oil. I read here about clary sage oil. But be careful if you do anything cause you can bleed alot. I would get a second opinion.

I had CIN 3 on cervix and endocervical canal. I also had abnormal endocervical glands. What is yours if you don't mind me asking?

Are you having periods?

Me 39 Dh 44 IVF #1 Failed--only 3 eggs retrieved out of 9 follicles. ET:1-4cell severe fragmentation. Planning for next cycle. VERY DEVASTATED
#6 of 16 Old 12-24-2008, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

wtg4miracle-
Quote:
What is yours if you don't mind me asking? Are you having periods?
I don't mind at all. I don't remember, though. It's been 2 years now since my cone biopsy, which is what finally removed all the cancer.
I am having periods, and I've been charting so I know I'm ovulating. But, when my period does come....there's really no describing it. It's so excruciatingly painful! Cramping like labor pains. I can't eat, because my gut stops moving. What I'm thinking is happening, is that my womb is filling up with everything, cause it's leaving so slow that it's probably backing up and out. I bloat out to almost 2 times my normal size. It's hard to move, much less walk. But, surprisingly, last cycle was not too bad. I'm just hoping that maybe something changed....I should know by this weekend.

The reason I'm thinking that it may be due to scar tissue is that when I am "flowing", it's not really a flow. It will be a gush and then stop. Finally another gush...and so on. I remember one of my worst nights (pain wise) I acutally heard and felt a "pop" then flow. Ugh! Then there's the bloating....

BTW-you post was the one that got me thinking about the scar tissue. (another thread) So, thank you!

Stevi-
Quote:
Could you contact one of the docs who treated you for the cancer? They might be alot more helpful and understanding.
Unfortunately, she's my regular gyn. She's the one who did the surgery.
She's the one, who keeps telling me that this could in no way be affecting my fertility. I'm a bit peeved with that whole office. So, if I have a period this time, I'm switching to another doctor.

#7 of 16 Old 12-24-2008, 02:52 AM

Its good that you are having periods. At least this is what my reg gyn says. If it something can come out then something can come in. I don't have problems with cramping. What concerns me is that you are having pain. You are probably getting "backed up."

I would suggest going back to your gyn and explain to her you are still concern about this. Tell her that you have been reading about possible scar tissue forming after cones. You can have her try to see how much opening you have.

I am still trying to figure all this out and digesting this.

Me 39 Dh 44 IVF #1 Failed--only 3 eggs retrieved out of 9 follicles. ET:1-4cell severe fragmentation. Planning for next cycle. VERY DEVASTATED
#8 of 16 Old 12-24-2008, 03:52 AM

Since your doc won't listen... Find a new doc. (Just as you already planned)

And, good luck with this cycle, I hope you get that precious BFP!!

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#9 of 16 Old 12-25-2008, 05:23 AM

When I was in labor with DD, I wasn't dilating like I should have...doc broke the scar tissue with his fingers and it took about 2 seconds. I know your situation is a little different, but I would find a doc who can do it for you.

Best of luck,
Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
#10 of 16 Old 12-30-2008, 09:54 AM

thanks for posting about this. i had a cone biopsy in '06 and my periods are awful now too...very similar with the bloating and flow that comes and goes. havent gotten pregnant in 3 yrs without bc. hmm i wonder how common this is? wish i had some answers --ill try talking to some midwives i know. ill be following this thread and thinking of you.

nicole, wife & very blessed mom of 2 fun boys '03 & '05 & sweet girl '10. 2ndtri.gifDue 1-6-13 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#11 of 16 Old 12-30-2008, 10:17 AM

I had cryotherapy in 89, cone biopsy in 90, then a LEEP in 2005. My cervix was so scarred that after 80 hours of labor with DS, I hadn't dilated *at all* and ended up with a c-section. When AF returned at 10 months, my periods were exactly what you described above. I ended up having to have the scar tissue broken surgically, under conscious sedation with Versed, and took Cytotec for several cycles. This was all done around April of last year. We've been TTC ever since without luck, but my periods are regular, no pain (for the first time in years), and I'm definitely ovulating. Good luck.
#12 of 16 Old 12-30-2008, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

teeg1973-I'm making an appt. with a new doc (actually he's an old friend...kind of weird feeling, but I trust him) and hopefully he will break up the scar tissue.

BrightBabies-for the past 2 cycles, I've been taking a baby aspirin every day and I'm guessing that has helped sooooooooo much. I haven't had the "usual" pain and bloating and such. I've not been finding any clots either....so that's the conclusion I've come to. That's also been what has helped me to decided that I must have scar tissue that's keeping my cervix from it's normal opening and closing. I'd give it a try. It's not going to hurt anything, unless you're nursing a little one.

Turkish Kate-Wow! That was a lot to deal with! Good luck!

Here's to us all getting pregnant in 2009!!!!:

#13 of 16 Old 12-30-2008, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

teeg1973-I'm making an appt. with a new doc (actually he's an old friend...kind of weird feeling, but I trust him) and hopefully he will break up the scar tissue.

BrightBabies-for the past 2 cycles, I've been taking a baby aspirin every day and I'm guessing that has helped sooooooooo much. I haven't had the "usual" pain and bloating and such. I've not been finding any clots either....so that's the conclusion I've come to. That's also been what has helped me to decided that I must have scar tissue that's keeping my cervix from it's normal opening and closing. I'd give it a try. It's not going to hurt anything, unless you're nursing a little one.
I just noticed that you're in Texas. So am I.
Anyway-I'm beginning to think that this is much more common than doctors will admit. Most that I've heard, say that if something is coming out, then something can get in. But, with so many of us having the same symptoms, I just don't see how it's not related, and why they (the doctors) can't admit it and do something to help. Geez....

Turkish Kate-Wow! That was a lot to deal with! Good luck!

Here's to us all getting pregnant in 2009!!!!:

#14 of 16 Old 12-30-2008, 02:03 PM

I read your post and thought this information could be helpful. I had mine diagnosed after repeated miscarriages and a hysterosalpingogram (HSG). I would follow-up with a fertility doctor and request a test. Good Luck!

http://www.ashermans.org/

What is Asherman's Syndrome?

Asherman's Syndrome, or intrauterine adhesions or synechiae, is an acquired uterine condition, characterized by the formation of adhesions (scar tissue) inside the uterus. In many cases the front and back walls of the uterus stick to one another. In other cases, adhesions only occur in a small portion of the uterus. The extent of the adhesions defines whether the case is mild, moderate or severe. The adhesions can be thin or thick, can be spotty in location, or can be confluent. They are usually not vascular, an important attribute that helps in treatment. Click here for more on Asherman's Syndrome grades.

Symptoms

Most patients with Asherman's have scanty or absent periods (amenorrhea) but some have normal periods. Some patients have no periods but feel pain at the time each month that their period would normally arrive. This pain may indicate that menstruation is occurring but the blood cannot exit the uterus because the cervix is blocked by adhesions. Recurrent miscarriage and infertility could also be symptoms (1).

Causes

Asherman’s syndrome occurs when trauma to the endometrial lining triggers the normal wound-healing process, which causes the damaged areas to fuse together. Most commonly, intrauterine adhesions occur after a D&C(dilatation and curettage) that was performed because of a missed or incomplete miscarriage, because of retained placenta with or without hemorrhage after a delivery, or elective abortion. Pregnancy-related D&Cs have been shown to account for 90% of Asherman’s cases (2). Adhesions sometimes also occur following other pelvic surgeries such as cesarean section, surgery to remove fibroids or polyps, or in the developing world, as a result of infections such as genital tuberculosis (3) and schistosomiasis (4).

The risk of developing Asherman’s from a D&C is 25% 2-4 weeks after delivery (5-8). D&Cs also lead to Asherman’s in 30.9% of procedures for missed miscarriages and 6.4% for incomplete miscarriages (2). Asherman’s risk increases with the number of D&Cs performed; after a single termination the risk is 16% however after 3 or more D&Cs the risk jumps to 32%. (9). Each case of Asherman's Syndrome is different, and cause must be determined on a case-by-case basis. In some cases, Asherman's may have been caused by an "overly-aggressive" D&C. However, this is not often considered to be the case. The placenta may have attached very deeply in the endometrium or fibrotic activity of retained products of conception could have occurred both of which make it difficult to remove retained tissue without causing injury to the basal endometrium.

There is a variant of Asherman's Syndrome that is more difficult to treat. This is a so-called "unstuck Asherman's" or endometrial sclerosis. In this condition, which may coexist with the presence of adhesions, the uterine walls are not stuck together. Instead, the endometrium has been denuded. Although curettage can cause this condition, it is more likely after uterine surgery, such as myomectomy. In these cases the endometrium, or at least its basal layer, has been removed or destroyed.

LAURA mama to Emory (10/12/09) wife to DH missing & older sis 10/13/69-12/19/07 w/1 : & 3 :
#15 of 16 Old 01-01-2009, 05:54 PM

Zanelee--have you visited the new doc yet? I am wondering what he says about it.

AFM: I will be going in for surgery to repair the scar tissue. I will be having a lap and hysteroscopy done. I am waiting for an OR date. Not to happy about it but it has to be done. Basically what I need to be done is to be "chiseled out". But now after my RE findings my reg gyn said that I probably have no CM crevices available. Hmm so even when I get this fixed I still have to do IUI. I have no functioning cervix. I just need a passageway for the IUI catheter to go through.

#16 of 16 Old 02-05-2009, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I finally go to talk to someone at my doctor's office. I decided to wait out my last cycle to see if I was able to conceive or not. (It was a nope)
So, I explained that I believe I have scarring that's keeping me from being able to get pregnant and causing horribly painful periods. She says, oh so matter of factly, "We can give you an estrogen cream to help break up the scar tissue."
I have to question why this was never mentioned before, after all I've been through.
Anyway-this leads to my next question. Anyone have any info, pros or cons, on topcial estrogen cream to apply to my cervix?
TIA!

User Tag List