So talk to me about Maca - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 01-09-2009, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just started taking maca. It doesn't taste *that* bad.

I saw some at the store in honey, the sweetness is supposed to help open the body's deep tissues. Made sense to me, so I'm taking a teaspoon of maca in a glass of chocolate milk - it's like a malted! Yummy!

Vitex tincture tasted a bazillion times worse, I started taking the vitex capsules because it was easier and they don't taste bad.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#32 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
I just started taking maca. It doesn't taste *that* bad.
I agree! I just bought some today, after the glistening recommendation of the herbalist at our local organic co-op. I mixed it with chocolate hemp milk, and if I ever had a clump (I know, yuck), it just sort of tasted malt-y. I liked it!

I have (hopefully) already ovulated, and at 9dpo I really have slim chances of maca having any impact on my usually-short luteal phase, but I figured I may as well try it.

Vitex, however, is the flavor of death. I am going to have to get the capsules if I am planning to continue taking that stuff. I really can't handle the tincture.
#33 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I haven't (yet) taken the stuff straight, but I had some in a protein powder (with hemp and flax) - the first time I tried it, I tried mixing it with milk and it was AWFUL. Then I tried mixing it with a little oil or butter and salt + using it as a peanut butter-like spread, and it was really good! (I developed a late-onset allergy to peanuts - I was SO EXCITED about this!) Of course, it may have mostly been the hemp or flax that was "good"... If I try it for TTC, I'll probably go pills or the spread - not in a drink!

Does anyone have any info on what maca does in terms of individual levels of hormones? I'm looking into taking it, too, but I *KNOW* that my hormone levels are weird, and I don't want to make them weirder! (for example, I was taking vitex, but that is said to increase LH and suppress FSH, and I know my LH is already much higher than my FSH)

I found one study that said that it didn't change the hormone levels in normal men (despite raising their libidos), but I'm neither "normal" nor male, so I'd love to hear anything else anyone has..

DH(37) + I(36) have been working on collaborative project #1 for 6 years, fighting more battles than I ever imagined. 2/2014 - IVF cycle =  due in late November!
#34 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 06:03 PM

Hi!
I have been taking Maca for two cycles now. I miscarried in May and since that time my cycles have been a little odd. Over the summer, my hubby was traveling alot off and on too, so I'd say we were trying, but not really expecting it to happen.

In Sept/Oct I had one of the longest cycles ever. 35 days! In Oct/Nov - 31 days. I decided to try something to rebalance everything and I heard about MACA. Last cycle Nov/Dec, no BFP, but my cycle was EXACTLY 28 days. But I was thinking we weren't taking enough, so we upped the anti and started making 2tbs smoothies. So far my cycle this time with MACA has been a little wierd. I O'ed a little later (either day 16 or 17), I've been moody/emotional, having bad or strangely funny dreams! Maybe I'm taking too much??? Or too little? The libido thing hasn't really kicked in for me, but has for hubby (which he didn't really need the help with...)

The other night I had night sweats--which is actually normal for me I usually get them a few days before I get my period, so now I'm convinced that it (all the MACA) didn't work. I'm only at DPO11 now so it's a little early, but last night I totally felt like I was going to get my period any minute. I don't now. If it really didn't work I think I need a break from TTC, it's all so depressing. I'm 38 so I just feel like I'm too old.

Anyway, I made up a great shake recipe that I shared on another maca post. If I find it I will post it here...
#35 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 06:08 PM

here it is...it really cuts down the MACA-y taste!

1 cup of milk
1 cup of fruit juice (i used dole paradise blend)
3 scoops of 'banilla' yogurt (stoney field farms)
1 banana
2 heaping tablespoons of maca
1 teaspoon organic brown sugar
a few ice cubes...

blend away...
#36 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 06:24 PM

My dh says it's a huge libido booster for him. Didn't have that effect on me, though, and it seemed like it didn't do much for my fertility. But I have PCOS.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#37 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 08:21 PM

I started using Maca for a few days and then got scared from reading too many threads. Essentially, I have a "perfect" cycle and I didn't want to mess with that.

DH has been taking 2 capusules a day religiously, I'm not sure if it has increased his libido or not but he has no complaints (except for a few times it caused each of us to run to the bathroom, nothing serous though)
#38 of 47 Old 01-11-2009, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
Made sense to me, so I'm taking a teaspoon of maca in a glass of chocolate milk - it's like a malted! Yummy!
This is exactly what I do, but I mix it in more of a shot of hot choco or choco milk. I tsp of maca, 1 1/2 tsp of hot choco mix, with milk or hot water. It dissolves really well and tastes like a nutty hot chocolate- really good!

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#39 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 07:59 PM

anyone personally take Maca that has PCOS? I was just recently diagnosed with it but have been TTC for 6 months. Any advice? I have some liquid that I took for a few weeks but need to start taking it again. Will it help me with PCOS??
#40 of 47 Old 01-12-2009, 10:13 PM

I know coffee isn't necessarily good for TTC. But I'm a grad student. It's *necessary* though not in large amounts, I drink one or maybe two coffees in a day, and not every day.

However, the bitter taste of coffee, well sweetened with sucanat and doused with half and half totally covered the taste of 2 tbsp of maca. This is how I take my maca from now on!

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#41 of 47 Old 01-14-2009, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well I do think that the maca is helping me-I O'd a bit earlier this month instead of on day 15, day 13. I also have to say that I taking a small dose because I am ultra sensitive to herbs, but I have to say, it does help with libido and sensitivity when DTD. Maybe it's all just superficial, but it feels like this O was healthier and more where it was supposed to be.

Now I begin the dreaded TWW-ugh...

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#42 of 47 Old 01-16-2009, 12:58 AM

ok, i am a big maca fan! it worked for me!!!! :
#43 of 47 Old 01-16-2009, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone taken Maca to heighten their libido?
If so, did it work and how long did it take to "kick in"?

Husband is like this --->: waiting for the Maca to "work" on me and turn me back into my usually voracious self.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#44 of 47 Old 01-16-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin_s View Post
ok, i am a big maca fan! it worked for me!!!! :
Yay! Congrats!

I'm not TTC, but I think I'm going to start taking this ASAP... My cycles are nuts - I've been spotting off and on for a week.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#45 of 47 Old 01-16-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

It only took a week for it to kick in my libido. Now if DD would just go back to sleeping in her bed, it would also help things.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#46 of 47 Old 01-16-2009, 06:52 PM

OK, I was taking far to little maca, I just upped my dose to around 2000 a day, I hope it works, I am older and am trying everything I can find.

I was a little tentative because I have a perfectly regular cycle, and have heard that it can delay O. After reading this thread, I am back on board I am on cd11, and am hoping that it works this quickly for me.

Whatever will be, already is...

#47 of 47 Old 01-16-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
Well I do think that the maca is helping me-I O'd a bit earlier this month instead of on day 15, day 13. I also have to say that I taking a small dose because I am ultra sensitive to herbs, but I have to say, it does help with libido and sensitivity when DTD. Maybe it's all just superficial, but it feels like this O was healthier and more where it was supposed to be.

Now I begin the dreaded TWW-ugh...
Good luck with the 2ww, I hate that, I hope the maca works for you, sounds promising :

Whatever will be, already is...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page