So talk to me about Maca - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have decided that I will start taking maca, but I know not that much about it. Dosage etc....

I currently am taking a multi with 800mcg folic acid, fish oil, zinc, EPO, started up on vitex again(which actually has worked very quickly for me in the past-3weeks or so).

I know it tastes gross, I know it helps with libido and can help with fertility. What else is there I need to know?

TIA-e

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 01-02-2009, 06:51 PM

:

I bought some a while back for low-libido but the stuff tastes so nasty I stopped taking it.

BUT, this morning I took it again (it works quickly for me ), still tasted nasty, but if it can help TTC then I'll take it.

In water, nasty. In soy milk, ok. In juice, not too bad.
I've heard good things about chocolate and peanut butter....but that sounds gross to me! I used a little whisk to remove any clumps and drink it FAST.

The one I have is organic powdered maca, and from what I read online, start with a 1/4 tsp and work up to 1 tsp. Twice per day is apparently better than once.
I've never worked my way up to 1tsp, I just start there. Doesn't seem to make a difference with me.

Happy Maca-ing

ETA: if you have a health store near you, try to find some empty capsules to put the maca in, that way you will only burp it! I'm planning on doing this when I have more income flow, for now, I'll plug my nose.

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:52 PM

I heard you shouldnt take it unless you have problems with your cycles or fertility...that its a medicine, not just a regular suppliment, and may do more harm than good if you take it when perfectly healthy. I also heard it suits some people and doesnt others. I cant confirm though, just something I heard. Id like to know more too
Old 01-02-2009, 07:29 PM

I talked to the herbalist at the local HFS, and he recommended False Unicorn over maca, so I recently started that instead.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:00 PM

I took it in capsules, about a tsp a day or more. I had been having regular-ish but slightly long/disorganized cycles for a few months, but the first month I did maca, I got pregnant.

I really think it did something.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Well my issues have been not irregularity in my cycles, but since DD I have had major hormonal issues and had debilitating migraines for her first year, and then I started taking Vitex which helped with that.

Basically the thing is DH and I have TTC 2 months and nothing is happening(DD was 1st try) and I have read that maca can really help with TTC by balancing the hormones in the body. It also is good for men by helping sperm and semen health, so he is willing to try and take it also(I am also ok with it increasing his libido). Right now we just want to have another child and if can up our chances I'm all for it.

The HFS is ordering me capsules and they will be here Monday. From what I have read it isn't something that you only take when there are issues, I read that women in Peru take it from childhood on and that there are numerous studies that show they have increased fertility into later years. From all that I have read there wasn't anything that said it was dangerous to take if you don't have cycle issues.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:29 PM

Yeah, I mean, it's a food that everybody eats. I didn't worry about it at all in terms of safety.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 PM

I have heard nothing but good things of maca, even for perfectly 'normal' cycles. It isn't just for females, and children can take it too.

It is a food, root vegetable, so I don't really worry a bit about it being dangerous. If something doesn't feel right, just stop taking them, you know?
It is filled with amazing properties and excellent for libido, did I mention the libido part Also really helps with your energy levels. Also said to help clear skin up.

Can you send along the information about it being dangerous/not advise for normal cycles?

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:40 PM

Hey Norasmomma!

Big fan of Maca here. I started taking on November 15th, ovulated on the 19th, and here I am, 8 weeks pregnant. I KNOW it helped - my cycles were totally out of whack before I started taking it. I certainly didn't expect it to work so quickly!

I was taking the liquid and ewwww it was so nasty. The best way I could take it down was in fruit juice but even that was awful. My plan was to get some of the powder after I was done with the liquid, and buy some of those gelatin caps to put it in. Seemed to be the most economical way of taking it, and without so much of that nasty taste.

I have read that it does mess with some women's cycles for some reason, but it seems to work for the majority from what I have seen. Best of luck, I really hope it works for you!

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

Old 01-03-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesperia View Post
It is filled with amazing properties and excellent for libido, did I mention the libido part Also really helps with your energy levels. Also said to help clear skin up.

Can you send along the information about it being dangerous/not advise for normal cycles?
I never read that it was dangerous, someone else who posted said it was dangerous if your cycles aren't weird or off. Everything I've read is that it's a food that helps with libido, and hormones balancing(and if it's good for the skin that's a bonus). I am getting the pills so I don't have to deal with the gross taste of the powder.

Hey mama*pisces-glad that you are doing well. I have been a bit bummed because I keep hearing about all these women I know getting pg and I am still not. Ugh, I really *hate* TTC, last time was just so easy, this time it's been a bit of a struggle. Hopefully I will see a BFP soon.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
Hopefully I will see a BFP soon.
I really hope so.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).

Old 01-03-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama*pisces View Post
Hey Norasmomma!

Big fan of Maca here. I started taking on November 15th, ovulated on the 19th, and here I am, 8 weeks pregnant. I KNOW it helped - my cycles were totally out of whack before I started taking it. I certainly didn't expect it to work so quickly!

I was taking the liquid and ewwww it was so nasty. The best way I could take it down was in fruit juice but even that was awful. My plan was to get some of the powder after I was done with the liquid, and buy some of those gelatin caps to put it in. Seemed to be the most economical way of taking it, and without so much of that nasty taste.

I have read that it does mess with some women's cycles for some reason, but it seems to work for the majority from what I have seen. Best of luck, I really hope it works for you!
Hi mamapisces, you're the only one I've seen around here who took the tincture. I'm also taking it. It isn't any worse to me than echinacea. Anyway, how much of the tincture were you taking? I've been taking two dropperfuls, twice daily. I did find my cycle this time to be different. I had less cm -- even had a hard time knowing I was ovulating -- and I O'd later than usual. I've kept taking it, and now am 6dpo. I'd love to know how much you were taking. Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

Old 01-03-2009, 06:22 PM

can you take it while bf? I'd love to have something to boost my libido! And, my cycles are pretty wacked. Short LP ect.

Danielle, wife to John, mama to Valley9.24.07
expecting our miracle babies around 5.12.10- praying that baby B grows healthy and strong!
Old 01-03-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle13 View Post
can you take it while bf? I'd love to have something to boost my libido! And, my cycles are pretty wacked. Short LP ect.
Yup, I took it while breastfeeding. It's completely safe, and should help lengthen your LP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHappy View Post
Hi mamapisces, you're the only one I've seen around here who took the tincture. I'm also taking it. It isn't any worse to me than echinacea. Anyway, how much of the tincture were you taking? I've been taking two dropperfuls, twice daily. I did find my cycle this time to be different. I had less cm -- even had a hard time knowing I was ovulating -- and I O'd later than usual. I've kept taking it, and now am 6dpo. I'd love to know how much you were taking. Congratulations on your pregnancy!!
I'll take echinacea over Maca any day! lol I was taking 1 teaspoon a day - that's how much the bottle I had said to take. Which really doesn't seem like a whole lot, but thankfully it did the trick.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:05 PM

Maca did not really work for me... but perhaps I did not take enough of it... who knows.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
Old 01-03-2009, 10:05 PM

Hi,

I started taking Maca on the 10/24/08 and got pregant the same cycle, for some reason my temps went all over the place and the OPK showed a positive cd14 but other signs of ovulation I. On the cd 17 I actually had egg white cm and ovulation pain. So I guessed O just came later. 9 days later I had implantaion bleeding and a day later a positive hpt. I had a sonogram and saw the heartbeat at 7 weeks, but a week later I felt sick and had some spotting, they gave me another sonogram and saw that the baby had died soon after I had the first sonogram, two day before christmas I had a D&C.

It is a difficult time for us and I keep wondering if it was the maca that caused my cycle to go all weired with temps all over the place and late ovulation, I know that is normal to ask yourself what it was that caused the death of the baby. If maca delayed ovulation and temps all over the place maybe it had something to do with the health of the egg. I can't quit wondering. Maca did help with my stamina and skin problems and as I did get pregnant so quickly I wonder If I should start taking it again when I am ready to try again.

Any suggestions or experience ????

Claudia wife to Joe since (05/04) Mom to DD (09/05) and mom to DS (11/09) :
Old 01-03-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I never read that it was dangerous, someone else who posted said it was dangerous if your cycles aren't weird or off.
You are right, you didn't say 'dangerous', I was thinking that in my head I guess....sorry 'bout that. What I was trying to say, is I've never heard of it messing with a 'normal' period, but I guess I should do some more reading.

Anyways, only two days into it again, and the libido, whoa! I just got turned DOWN! haha.

Skin is looking rather gorgeous too, if that isn't too vain to say (dealing with acne since I was 11...).

Old 01-03-2009, 11:41 PM

I thought I had researched every miracle baby-making supplement out there, but this is the first I've ever heard of maca. Lots of comments about the nasty taste...is it more effective in powder form than pill form? I would put up with the taste if it would work more efficiently.

DH was chagrined today to see the cost of the Fertilitea and Pre-Seed I just got in the mail. But I bet he wouldn't complain about the price of a libido booster! :

Mommy to a boy (6), girls (4&2), and our baby boy (8 months)

Missing Ashlyn 10/18/06 and Brennan 10/18/10
Old 01-04-2009, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudi81 View Post
Hi,

I started taking Maca on the 10/24/08 and got pregant the same cycle, for some reason my temps went all over the place and the OPK showed a positive cd14 but other signs of ovulation I. On the cd 17 I actually had egg white cm and ovulation pain. So I guessed O just came later. 9 days later I had implantaion bleeding and a day later a positive hpt. I had a sonogram and saw the heartbeat at 7 weeks, but a week later I felt sick and had some spotting, they gave me another sonogram and saw that the baby had died soon after I had the first sonogram, two day before christmas I had a D&C.

It is a difficult time for us and I keep wondering if it was the maca that caused my cycle to go all weired with temps all over the place and late ovulation, I know that is normal to ask yourself what it was that caused the death of the baby. If maca delayed ovulation and temps all over the place maybe it had something to do with the health of the egg. I can't quit wondering. Maca did help with my stamina and skin problems and as I did get pregnant so quickly I wonder If I should start taking it again when I am ready to try again.

Any suggestions or experience ????
I am SO sorry to hear about your experience. I have not heard of Maca causing a m/c, but I suppose it could be possible? I don't want to discourage or encourage you to take it one way or the other, though I did have a great experience with it. I would say just do extensive research on it(like maybe google 'Maca causing m/c' or something), and then go with what your heart tells you. I wish you the best.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:02 PM

I have never heard Maca was dangerous, it is a food many people eat, but I definitely think it is not a miracle. It is much safer then many herbs, in fact.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
I am SO sorry to hear about your experience. I have not heard of Maca causing a m/c, but I suppose it could be possible? I don't want to discourage or encourage you to take it one way or the other, though I did have a great experience with it. I would say just do extensive research on it(like maybe google 'Maca causing m/c' or something), and then go with what your heart tells you. I wish you the best.
Thank you! How long did you take maca before you got pregnant and how much? Are you still taking it or did you stop, if you stoped when?

Sorry for asking all these questions, I was thiking that I might got pregnant too quick before maca was able to help me heal and regulate after all these ups and downs I had. I might give it another try and wait until I see a more normal cycle .

Thanks in advance and good luck to you

Claudia wife to Joe since (05/04) Mom to DD (09/05) and mom to DS (11/09) :
Old 01-05-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudi81 View Post
Thank you! How long did you take maca before you got pregnant and how much? Are you still taking it or did you stop, if you stoped when?

Sorry for asking all these questions, I was thiking that I might got pregnant too quick before maca was able to help me heal and regulate after all these ups and downs I had. I might give it another try and wait until I see a more normal cycle .

Thanks in advance and good luck to you
Your welcome.

I started taking Maca on the 15th of November, ovulated on the 19th, and got pregnant. (and I was taking a teaspoon of the liquid tincture a day) Now, I had just also started taking Evening Primrose Oil to increase CM that cycle, and that definitely did what it was supposed to, so I'm sure that had something to do with it also. But I'm pretty sure the Maca had something to do with it too....there is another mama in my DDC that started taking it the day she O'd, or maybe it was the day after, and still got pregnant that cycle. So, to me, it seems like pretty powerful stuff.....it doesn't work for everyone I guess, but I say give it a shot.

What sucked was that I didn't really know for sure if I was pregnant or not for over two weeks - I had little clues here and there but didn't want to stop taking it in case it was just my imagination running away with me - so I kept taking the nasty tasting Maca faithfully for those two weeks, and when I got my + HPT I stopped immediately. I couldn't have weaned myself slowly off of it if I wanted to.....I had definitely had enough and was so glad I could stop taking it! Never tasted anything so gross in my life.....which is why I highly suggest to anyone that wants to try it to get the powder and some gelatin caps to put it in.

HTH

Old 01-05-2009, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Well the HFS just called and my Maca tablets are in, we were going to town anyway, so I'm picking them up and will start taking it today.

Hopefully it will help.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I started taking Maca on the 15th of November, ovulated on the 19th, and got pregnant.
Do you mind sharing how long you were TTC?

Thanks!

Mommy to a boy (6), girls (4&2), and our baby boy (8 months)

Missing Ashlyn 10/18/06 and Brennan 10/18/10
Old 01-06-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom-to-jj View Post
Do you mind sharing how long you were TTC?

Thanks!
I'm starting to feel kinda celebrity-ish. So many questions!

We tried on and off for most(half?) of this year, for various reasons. I'm pretty sure the months we tried were February, June, July, October, and November. In October was when I realized my cycles were wonky, so I started doing really researching my options to try to regulate my cycles while breastfeeding. I found a lot of women had good results with Maca and Vitex, so I got both of those and ended up pregnant the next cycle.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:49 AM

Where do you get maca from? I would love to try some out.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

You can get it online-or at the HFS. My local store had to order it. I recommend getting the pills, I just am taking it with my vitamins and am not getting any of the wretched taste I've heard about.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
You can get it online-or at the HFS. My local store had to order it. I recommend getting the pills, I just am taking it with my vitamins and am not getting any of the wretched taste I've heard about.
Make sure you are still getting 2000-2500 mg a day though, otherwise it is not supposed to work. That means like 5-6 pills a day. That is why a lot of people choose the powedered version.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:48 PM

Hi! Just wanted to jump in here and let you that maca is great stuff! I started using it when ttc #2. I have pcos and had been trying for almost 2 years with no luck. After starting on maca I could feel my body getting back into fertile mode and for the first time in 2 years I had ewcm and I ovulated. Could be coincendense, but 6 weeks after startng maca I got a BFP. And I hope you all understand this... I'm typing w/ my baby crawling all over me. We are thinking about ttc#3 and I'm getting ready to order some maca root in preparation to concieve. And yeah, it tastes nasty, but I thought vitex tasted much worst. Oh, and try it in oatmeal w/ a dried fruit, walnuts, and maple syrup. That REALLY helped the taste.

User Tag List