Double LH surge? Do I ovulate twice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! This is a bit involved, but I'm all confused! Bear with me!

This is our first month TTC for our second child. I've been charting temperatures, cervix, and fluid for four cycles before this one, and they're a bit weird. I've always had long cycles (31-34 days) when I'm not on the pill. Things are a bit iffy with my charts, since DS wakes me up at odd times and we travel a lot, but I think I have at least a medium understanding of what's going on. In three of the four cycles I've charted, I start showing signs of ovulation - stringy mucus, sometimes even EWCM, opening cervix - but no temp rise. Then a few days later it happens again, THEN I get the temp rise. I just figured the first fertile-mucus time was a practice run or something, and the second one was the real thing.

So, this cycle I started using ovulation predictor tests. As I started to have my first set of fertile signs, I showed a very faint line on the test, not enough to be positive, but over the next couple of days it got darker. On the third day it seemed dark enough to count as positive. (It was a bit odd - the leading edge of the test line was quite dark, darker than the control line, but the rest of the test line was not as dark. It's been like that every time I've shown a "positive".) In the evening it got faint again. The next day it was pretty dark, I was pretty sure it was positive, then again it was lighter in the evening. I figured that was ovulation. The day after that it was faint, and the next day there was barely any line at all. I waited for a temp rise, but nothing definitive.

Then today the LH test was positive again! As dark as it's ever been! So... What's going on? Do you think the first one was just a practice surge not resulting in ovulation? (Does that happen? I know people sometimes get preliminary fertility signs before the real ovulation, but I didn't think they got LH surges...) So that would mean that this time is going to be the real thing. Or do I ovulate twice? :

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 06:55 PM

It sounds like your body is preparing to ovulate, but fails. Then, it prepares again and succeeds.

The best assurance of ovulation actually occuring is the rise in temps.

OPKs, CM, Cervix... All of those are just signs that your body is preparing to O, not proof that it did.

The good news is you are ovulating!!

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:57 PM

I agree with the PP it sounds like your body gets ready to Ovulate fails but then succeeds. It could be an imbalance but it could be stress or lack of sleep etc... You might want to try a visit with a acupuncture/TCM doctor they can help get things where they need to be.

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
Old 01-09-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

That was my first assumption, too, I just didn't know if there would be a LH surge with the failed attempt at ovulation. *shrug* We're covered anyway. And I did have my temp rise this morning.

I've always had long cycles, so maybe this is normal for me. I guess we'll just wait and see now!

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:17 PM

Yer welcome and I hope you caught that lil eggy!!!

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:57 AM

yeah the LH surge is the trigger for the O not a result of it happening, so many ladies have a double surge, hell i have had even more when i was out of whack

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it worked! :
Old 01-20-2009, 05:45 PM

Double even triple surges can and do happen. The cycle I got pg with my ds I had 3 days in a row of opk's so I went in search of why and here is what I found:

Quote:
The presence of increased amounts of LH, as detected by OPK's usually means that you will ovulate within 12-24 hours. LH is not released all at once, but rather it rises and falls for 24-48 hours. Sometimes causing multiple days of positive results.

The LH rise usually begins in the early morning while you are sleeping and it takes 4-6 hours for it to appear in your urine after that. For this reason, first morning urine (FMU) may not give the best result. It is important to follow the instructions of your OPK for maximum results.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 01-20-2009, 08:23 PM

So, you're pregnant???????

Old 01-21-2009, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had that happen to me this cycle, had 2 + opks with great cm then 3 days later decided for the heck of it to take a opk and it was + the next day was + also had a temp rise that day. I don't believe my chart because i am missing a bunch of temps and i had no cm when i got the 2+ opks 3days from the 1st set.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 01-22-2009, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, pregnant! I tested wayyy early, because I am silly, but two tests said positive! And as of today, I'm late...

So yay. (And if I end up with fraternal twins at least I'll know why...)
Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 PM

Congratulations!!!!! I hope you have a marvelous, healthy pregnancy!!!!!

User Tag List