TTC in 2009 with MACA - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 285 Old 01-21-2009, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello and Welcome to our new thread!
There used to be some threads each month for those TTC with Maca but it kinda got dropped. So I decided to pick it up again since there are quite a few right now TTC with Maca.

If you would like to be added please BOLD this in your post :
Name:
What kind of Maca you are taking:
How much Maca you take:
How has it changed your cycle so far?

Here is the older threads-
First Thread
Second Thread
Last thread

Some helpful information we have so far:
Tropicana Berry Punch Juice works well to mix the Maca in. Also Green tea works well.
Some have said that you can mix the maca with Peanut butter and chocolate in a shake form but my personal experience with it wasnt that great.

Those TTC with Maca

BelovedK
Hesperia
Jenna Rios
ShwarmaQueen
FtMPapa
veryerin
plarka
Trini
ann of loxley

Graduates
mrscompgeek
mom-to-jj
#2 of 285 Old 01-21-2009, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Name:Shannon /Mrscompgeek
What kind of Maca you are taking: Maca Magic Liquid bought from Amazon
How much Maca you take: 30-35 drops per day
How has it changed your cycle so far? None really. I just started back taking it last week so still waiting to see what happens.
#3 of 285 Old 01-21-2009, 03:48 PM

Hi all

Name: Kelly/BelovedK

What kind of Maca you are taking:Planetary formulas Maca extract

How much Maca you take: 2700 mg a day (6 tAbs in am and 6 tabs in pm)

How has it changed your cycle so far?It has greatly increased my libido, esp around O, I mean lots I haven't noticed anything else in the way of my cycle. I am in my 2ww, and feeling hopeful.

Whatever will be, already is...

#4 of 285 Old 01-21-2009, 09:09 PM

Haha, I started to type and even before I put in the copy/paste questions I typed libido. hahaha.

Name: Hesperia
What kind of Maca you are taking:The one in my cupboard. In bulk. I'll check the specs later.
How much Maca you take: 1-1.5 tsp with soy milk (whisk it in)
How has it changed your cycle so far? Libido Maybe shorter cycle...still holding out on that one.

I only used maca during the first part of my cycle. So, I'll let you know the news.

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#5 of 285 Old 01-23-2009, 05:58 PM

can i join?

Name: Jenna_rios
What kind of Maca you are taking: oregons harvest maca root
How much Maca you take: about 3000-4500 per day (around 1500 mg caps)
How has it changed your cycle so far? well i had my first 33day cycle not induced!!! has increased my libido

In Love since 2007. Forever missing our unborn angels 04/06~10/08~03/09 TTC for over 2yrs Praying for a 2010 : healthy baby
#6 of 285 Old 01-23-2009, 06:13 PM

Hello!

Name: Shwarma (like the delicious dish
What kind of Maca you are taking: I'm taking a product called "Hot Plants"- the main ingredient is Maca (400mg) but I'll be getting the powder shortly!
How much Maca you take: currently 800 mg- will be 2500-3000 mg when I get my powder.
How has it changed your cycle so far?: Have only taken it 2 days...will get back to you on that.

Have lots of places to choose from when buying it, but I find S&H so expensive, anyone find good deals for buying the powder and not pay out the wazoo on S&H? TIA!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#7 of 285 Old 01-24-2009, 02:34 AM

I took it about 1 week before my O this month- but I am going to run out of it in like one week... so I haven't decided if I am going to keep it up or not....

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#8 of 285 Old 01-24-2009, 09:59 AM

Hey folks - I was planning to TTC with maca...but it makes me insanely sick to my stomach when I take it! So I have a 1 lb. bag of the powder from Navitas if anyone wants it. I cannot believe how sick it made me, I am so bummed. Anyway, pm me if you want it. I may buy some extract and try that instead, so I might still be joining you ladies!
#9 of 285 Old 01-24-2009, 10:49 AM

I'm here, too.

Name: mom-to-jj
What kind of Maca you are taking: Solaray 525MG capsules
How much Maca you take: 1575MG/day
How has it changed your cycle so far? Started 1/21, so I haven't noticed any change yet. I may up my dosage soon since most of you are talking increase in libido, and that hasn't happened yet!

Mommy to a boy (6), girls (4&2), and our baby boy (8 months)

Missing Ashlyn 10/18/06 and Brennan 10/18/10
#10 of 285 Old 01-24-2009, 12:45 PM

Ok, the maca is spoken for
#11 of 285 Old 01-24-2009, 01:00 PM

I just wanted to wish you ladies the best of luck!! :

I strongly feel Maca helped me get pregnant in 2008! I would definitely use it again if my cycles don't go back to normal for the next time we TTC.

GOOD LUCK!!!!! :

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#12 of 285 Old 01-25-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom-to-jj View Post
most of you are talking increase in libido, and that hasn't happened yet!
I am finding that the increase seems to be right around O for me. My libido is back to normal now (It is not low or anything, but it was fun while it lasted and I hope it comes back next month if af starts)

Whatever will be, already is...

#13 of 285 Old 01-25-2009, 09:04 AM

Like I said before, I only took maca for the first part of my cycle.

This cycle was 25 days instead of the regular 31ish. One of my shortest since July '07. I wasn't temping (will be now) so I don't really know when I O'd, so I cannot tell if maca messed with my LP or not (I don't think it did).

Anyways, first cycle with maca, not pg yet, still have hope!!

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#14 of 285 Old 01-25-2009, 01:15 PM

Name: just call me Papa.

What kind of Maca you are taking: Navitas naturals powder

How much Maca you take: 2 tbsp/day - so far, I think mixing it in coffee is the best

How has it changed your cycle so far? This is my first cycle taking it, and I didn't take it when I went away for a week, so between maca, being off my usual routine for the past six weeks, etc, I have no idea. I'm late to O this cycle - CD 20 or 21 and I don't think I've Oed yet, but I might soon. I blame that on travel.

I hate the way maca tastes. At the store, the guy was like "This stuff is amazing, tastes delicious!" well, no, it really doesn't to me. Chocolate syrup, coffee, and milk make it somewhat bearable. Kind of.

I think it has increased my libido, and that effect was pretty much immediate, within a couple of days of taking it.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#15 of 285 Old 01-25-2009, 01:33 PM

FTMPapa - yeah I found the taste horrible as well! I would have kept taking it if I didn't get so sick from it. I am still pissed that it makes me so ill.

I think I am going to try the tincture. I am already taking vitex and red clover by tincture. Can you tell I want my cycle back?!
#16 of 285 Old 01-25-2009, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Try the liquid! Seriously. I cant taste it in my tea. Totally worth it!

Side note- I think I may be ovulating! I got tons of EWCM friday night and now today and I have a almost Positive Ovulation test!!
#17 of 285 Old 01-25-2009, 06:43 PM

Shannon, I hope you are!!

#18 of 285 Old 01-25-2009, 07:21 PM

So I found Maca 500mg capsules and I've been taking 5 of them in the morning. I find them a little difficult to swallow because the capsules are big and so light-weight they float and are hard to move to the back. I ordered the powder from San Francisco Herb, Spice... and hopefully that will be easier to get down, but from what everyone is saying it might be harder, tastewise. I have noticed a difference in my mojo in the last couple days...and I'm hoping that it does the trick!

Is it known for moving your 'O' up in your cycle? That'd be great, if so! :

I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#19 of 285 Old 01-25-2009, 09:00 PM

i posted this also in ttc in 20's, but i am excited. i had the shortest af visit of my life!!! 5 days. she has always been keen to stick around from 5-14 days. but today is cd5 and she was at her last.

In Love since 2007. Forever missing our unborn angels 04/06~10/08~03/09 TTC for over 2yrs Praying for a 2010 : healthy baby
#20 of 285 Old 01-26-2009, 12:38 PM

Okay, take back about what I said about a shorter period.

AF didn't fully come in. I'm at CD28 and still no AF. It made me a little worried about my LP, but seems like that isn't an issue anymore.

I have this wonderful ideal to try maca in molasses, anyone tried that before? Like a spoon or the sticky stuff dipped in maca...no? I'll let you know.

#21 of 285 Old 01-27-2009, 10:00 AM

I just wanted to rescue this thread before it slipped toooo far down the second page!

I upped my daily dosage to 2100MG, and I'm going to go up to 2600-3100/day this week since it's normally when I would O. No symptoms/side effects to note so far.

Do I stop taking maca after O, or continue right up to the BFP? <---trying to think positively!

Mommy to a boy (6), girls (4&2), and our baby boy (8 months)

Missing Ashlyn 10/18/06 and Brennan 10/18/10
#22 of 285 Old 01-27-2009, 11:08 AM

Mom-to-Jj- I've wondered the same thing. I wouldn't think you should stop after Oing, as it's not a one-shot deal that increases your fertility, I gather that it's more of an extended period supplement. But I really don't know that for sure, soo... I've also wondered if you should stop after getting a BFP (NOW THAT'S WISHFUL THINKING! ) and I think the concensus was to wean off.

I'm doing 2500mg (5-500 mg capsules) of Maca. Wondering how many mg are in these "heaping tablespoons" that I'm going to use to make a shake...

: For all of us!

#23 of 285 Old 01-27-2009, 11:29 AM

Ok I'm going to stop lurking and start joining!

Name: Rachel
What kind of Maca you are taking: Raw powder
How much Maca you take: 1 tsp
How has it changed your cycle so far? don't know, took it for first time today

I've read you should take about 2500mg a day, but how many Tablespoons or teaspoons is that?

I had it in a shake I made with milk and a banana and after a half hour had to go to the bathroom, if you know what I mean. Not sure if 2Tbsp was too much on my stomach, or if it was the milk. I haven't had that much milk at once for a while. I'll try it without milk tomorrow. Didn't taste too bad, just a little bitter.

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
#24 of 285 Old 01-27-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plarka View Post
I've read you should take about 2500mg a day, but how many Tablespoons or teaspoons is that?
This is my issue too. And I don't know if the capsules that I'm taking are the same thing as the powder form, just stuffed into capsules...if so, a "heaping tablespoon" would be double the amount of what those little capsules would contain, which would make a "heaping tablespoon" atleast 5000mg (if the capsule contents were the same Maca powder).

Anyone, anyone? :

#25 of 285 Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 PM

You can add me to the list. I am 12 months PP waiting for AF to return and have just started taking maca to try move things along. So far (all three days) I've had 1 heaping teaspoon a day of Navitas Natural powder. The taste is horrible! I tried it in yogurt and I could barely choke it down. I think if the powder mixed in better it wouldn't be as bad, but all it seemed to do for me was coat the yogurt. blech. The next two days I've had it in a milk shake, which is much better but still leaves a lot to be desired.

Is there anything wrong with mixing it in a hot drink, like coffee?
#26 of 285 Old 01-27-2009, 12:25 PM

Can't you just put it in a little water and take it as a shot? Lord knows the taste of really cheap tequila leaves a bit to be desired, but I certainly could drink shots of it in college.

#27 of 285 Old 01-27-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
This is my issue too. And I don't know if the capsules that I'm taking are the same thing as the powder form, just stuffed into capsules...if so, a "heaping tablespoon" would be double the amount of what those little capsules would contain, which would make a "heaping tablespoon" atleast 5000mg (if the capsule contents were the same Maca powder).

Anyone, anyone? :
I just took 5 capsules and I bet it has the same amount of powder as in a heaping tablespoon. 5 = 2500 mg. If you take the tablespoon you won't get more then 3000 mg I bet

#28 of 285 Old 01-27-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plarka View Post
Ok I'm going to stop lurking and start joining!

Name: Rachel
What kind of Maca you are taking: Raw powder
How much Maca you take: 2 Tbsp
How has it changed your cycle so far? don't know, took it for first time today

I had it in a shake I made with milk and a banana and after a half hour had to go to the bathroom, if you know what I mean. Not sure if 2Tbsp was too much on my stomach, or if it was the milk. I haven't had that much milk at once for a while. I'll try it without milk tomorrow. Didn't taste too bad, just a little bitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov'sMom View Post
You can add me to the list. I am 12 months PP waiting for AF to return and have just started taking maca to try move things along. So far (all three days) I've had 1 heaping teaspoon a day of Navitas Natural powder. The taste is horrible! I tried it in yogurt and I could barely choke it down. I think if the powder mixed in better it wouldn't be as bad, but all it seemed to do for me was coat the yogurt. blech. The next two days I've had it in a milk shake, which is much better but still leaves a lot to be desired.

Is there anything wrong with mixing it in a hot drink, like coffee?
I have heard people mixing in there coffee before. I personally havent because Im not a big coffee drinker.

I dont know what to tell you ladies about how it taste and how much to take of the powder. I have never taken the powder, just the liquid and I just do what the bottle says to take.

I need to get back into taking my maca. I got off track over the weekend cause we were gone alot over supper and I always take it with supper. I need to get back on track today!!
#29 of 285 Old 01-27-2009, 03:39 PM

I've been reading on the internet about maca trying to find out how many teaspoons or tablespoons you need for 2500mg but not much luck. Anyone else?

I read a website with people talking about side effects they had while taking maca and one was 'rapid digestion', which is what I think I had this morning!So I have decided that the reason I had diarrhea a half hour after my maca shake this morning was because I had too much maca powder in it. I'm going to drop my dose to 1 tsp and see if I can slowly up it. I think I have to forget about the 2500mg and just take what my body can handle.

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
#30 of 285 Old 01-27-2009, 04:44 PM

lol. maybe i take to much on some days and not enough on others lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page